Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Space Dragons, boldly taking over more stuff
Draconis
post Nov 1 2006, 10:39 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,607

So dragons didn't awaken until the mana levels rose again suggesting that they need minimums of mana to operate so my question is this, what would the effect of space be on a dragon (in a ship)? We are talking manavoid here.
Oh and on a similar note, what about someone possessed or Inhabited? Can you disrupt a big nasty by shooting it's ass into space ala Aliens?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Nov 1 2006, 02:16 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

Depends. If they don't try to tap into magic or go Astral, a normal Magicians's fine.

A dual-natured critter, such as a Ghoul, Dragon, or Possessed human, however, is boned. Being in space inflicts pretty hefty damage on them every turn until either they die or leave it.

Not a place that you want to be.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Nov 1 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #3

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (Wakshaani)
If they don't try to tap into magic or go Astral, a normal Magicians's fine.

I just read that again in the shadowtalk of NAGRL. Has any other (non-shadowtalker) source ever confirmed it? I'm assuming they codify it in Target: Wastelands, but it has been a while since I read that one, and I'm re-reading everything in published order so it will be a while before I'm there again. :)

+Quote Post
ChicagosFinest
post Nov 1 2006, 03:16 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,422

Well how did dragon bones end up on Mars? Yeah still waiting for an explination on that one!

+Quote Post
Eben McKay
post Nov 1 2006, 03:20 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 9,576

QUOTE (ChicagosFineset)
Well how did dragon bones end up on Mars? Yeah still waiting for an explination on that one!

Inertia, duh! :grinbig: The dragon tried to fly there, died as he left the atmosphere, and floated the rest of the way.

Yeah, I got nothing.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Nov 1 2006, 03:21 PM
Post #6

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (ChicagosFineset)

I've started a timer...

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Nov 1 2006, 03:23 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

From Street Magic, you reduce a magicians Magic Attribute by the level of the Mana Void (Deep Space is -12, rendering even Great Dragons powerless) and if they Astrally Project, Astrally Perceive, or are Dual Natured, they take damage of teh void, physical (So, Deep Space would be 12P damage) resisted by body (dual natured) (Or Willpower is you're projecting/sensing) dealt every turn of exposure.

It ain't a fun ride.

In populated areas (Moon Base, for example), you might only face a void of 9 or 10, the shuttle flying you there an 11, but, space proper ain't a place to be for teh Awakened.

So, yeah, if you can get a baddie *up* there somehow, the void will pretty much take care of it. Heck, there was at least one group that got past Bottled Demon that way, by sticking the thing in as cargo and taking an Orbital ride. *pop* ... no more bottle. :)

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Nov 1 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Eben McKay)
QUOTE (ChicagosFineset @ Nov 1 2006, 10:16 AM)
Well how did dragon bones end up on Mars?  Yeah still waiting for an explination on that one!

Inertia, duh! :grinbig: The dragon tried to fly there, died as he left the atmosphere, and floated the rest of the way.

Yeah, I got nothing.

Sadly, I'd buy that.

Not a GREAT Dragon, sure, but probably some young and stupid one decided to give it a go, passed out but had a sustaining Levitate on him (Which gave out once he ws in space proper, but, by then, inertia) ... he was probably trying to hit teh Moon, but lost so much speed that, instead, he missed it by being too slow and fell onto Mars, instead (Better than going out and being turned into a V'ger!) ...

That, or the bonephotos were just fakes, which I believe is the official answer.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Nov 1 2006, 03:28 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

QUOTE (eidolon)
I'm re-reading everything in published order....

Wow.

From SR1 -> SR4, or just all of SR3? Either way, scary....

+Quote Post
Eben McKay
post Nov 1 2006, 03:34 PM
Post #10

Target

Well, the other possibility is that Mars was once inhabitable and had its own gaeasphere. But that would open up a much larger can o' worms.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Nov 1 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

QUOTE (lorechaser)
QUOTE (eidolon @ Nov 1 2006, 09:33 AM)

Wow.

One of things that everyone should do, from time to time, just to marvel at how things have changed, where plot seeds went, and what was never touched on. Great Vampire Conspiracy? Program Carriers? NeoAnarchist Revolution? Teh Vol Sprawl?

Lots of cool stuff.

Sadly, there's still a few gaps in my collection. Not sure how I'll ever finish 'em all up. Universal Brotherhood's bad enough, but teh German-only publications or the old Fan Club quarterly magazines (What was the name of those again? AGES before the Shadowrun Supplimental) ... sheesh!

So, you make due as best you can.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Nov 1 2006, 03:39 PM
Post #12

The back-up plan

Member No.: 3,910

Eben--you've touched on my main hypotheses...but I've always like my Cyberpunk to have a heavy spice of Sci-Fi.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Nov 1 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #13

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

All I'll say is that ED stuff mentions the first dargon leaving it's "family" which were cruel and viscious creatures, and taking a long journey thru astral space, and coming to find a beautiful world to call home, not one of blood coloured dust. However the relations found a way to follow it and came thru, the first dragon sacrificed herself to protect her new home, by starting the mana levels fluctuating and thus denying it's reletives access except when the mana level peaks.

That's how i remember the Verjigorm section of Horrors... I wonder what sort of bones they could be...

+Quote Post
Eben McKay
post Nov 1 2006, 03:47 PM
Post #14

Target

Another possibility: if a comet can spike mana levels and induce SURGE (shudder), then a smart dragon could always just fly in the tail of the comet or [other appropriate magically active celestial body].

We'll just assume the comet went straight from Earth to Mars.

What?

Shut up!

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Nov 1 2006, 04:13 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

The Mars once had life and supported its own mana flow is the obvious answer.

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Nov 1 2006, 04:18 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,304

Mars may still have a mana flow.
No mage has gone to Mars, so no easy way to tell yet.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Nov 1 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Wakshaani)
Depends. If they don't try to tap into magic or go Astral, a normal Magicians's fine.

A dual-natured critter, such as a Ghoul, Dragon, or Possessed human, however, is boned. Being in space inflicts pretty hefty damage on them every turn until either they die or leave it.

Not a place that you want to be.

Hmm so I guess i'm ok because technically i'm not dual natured. Hell I can't project/perceive.

Oh it's a place you want to be when your team is offered 6.5 million nuyen to go to Mars.
:D I knew there where catches however. No foci and I'll have to leave my spirits behind. Guess the bear spirit I have goes back in a pizza.

I'm buying the theory that mars used to have, or still does have, a mana flow. I'll have to see how Frank paints that particular picture later. I suspect that when the mana level was super high a dragon went into the planes completely like Ghostwalker and popped out on mars or vice versa.

Young and stupid dragon? Hmmm no comment.

Maybe this is our DOOM run.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Nov 1 2006, 04:45 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ophis @ Nov 1 2006, 03:43 PM)
All I'll say is that ED stuff mentions the first dargon leaving it's "family" which were cruel and viscious creatures, and taking a long journey thru astral space, and coming to find a beautiful world to call home, not one of blood coloured dust. However the relations found a way to follow it and came thru, the first dragon sacrificed herself to protect her new home, by starting the mana levels fluctuating and thus denying it's reletives access except when the mana level peaks.

That's how i remember the Verjigorm section of Horrors... I wonder what sort of bones they could be...

Dragons are from Mars, immortal elves are from Venus?
Sorry couldn't resist.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 1 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #19

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Wakshaani)
If they don't try to tap into magic or go Astral, a normal Magicians's fine.

I just read that again in the shadowtalk of NAGRL. Has any other (non-shadowtalker) source ever confirmed it? I'm assuming they codify it in Target: Wastelands, but it has been a while since I read that one, and I'm re-reading everything in published order so it will be a while before I'm there again. :)

In Target:Wastelands, space was a manawarp caused by extreme sterility and radiation, not a void. Assuming that this is true for previous editions and Earthdawn a toxic sterility/radiation dragon would have been able to travel the warp without a problem. Having a dragon aspected towards sterility and radiation is gives us far worse problems than just a few bones on Mars, however. Sterility-aspected magicians aren't exactly the most sane of toxics.

It might have been where that horror-corrupted dragon ended up after flying into the Horror Cloud.

This, of course, is viable only if we assume that the Crash 2.0 actually caused the universe to shift left.

QUOTE (Draconis)
Dragons are from Mars, immortal elves are from Venus?
Sorry couldn't resist.

There once was an elf from Venus. His ears were shaped like a …

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Nov 1 2006, 05:46 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Also remember that great dragons, unlike most dual natured beings, have a hefty amount of Astral Armor.

+Quote Post
ChicagosFinest
post Nov 1 2006, 05:51 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

So then have any of the dragons sent space expeditions to receive the bones? if so Loffy is my prime suspect. I remeber reading something in SR about launching a trip to mars and getting there. I think it was sometime in the 50's? I could be wrong I skimmed target wastelands.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Nov 1 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #22

ghostrider

Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (lorechaser @ Nov 1 2006, 09:28 AM)

Wow.

Not scary, necessary and fantastic. :D

edit: Almost forgot to answer. SR1 through SR3. The only thing I own for 4 is the core book, and I've only ever glanced through it.

Thanks, hyz. It's never been important in my games, so I've never used it. Which is too bad really, because I bought T:W specifically to run a space game that...never happened.

And someone mentioned holes in their collection, and UB specifically. All I can say is keep looking! I saw UB go for less than $20 not too long ago on either eBay or Amazon (can't remember). Can't remember what I spent on UB, but I do remember that the most I've spent on a SR book so far was $48 + S/H for Lone Star (and then later I must have gotten one in a lot, because I just realized the other day that I have two).

I still have a few gaps, and most of those are adventures that I've put off getting because in the past I had no plans on running them. Now, though, I want them just for the plot stuff that came from them.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 1 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #23

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (ChicagosFineset)
So then have any of the dragons sent space expeditions to receive the bones?

As was said earlier, the official answer about the bones (at the moment) is that they are fake.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 1 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #24

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Wakshaani)
... rendering even Great Dragons powerless

Unnamed Great Dragons. ;)

QUOTE (Draconis)
... immortal elves are from Venus ...

I am not! :P

+Quote Post
ChicagosFinest
post Nov 1 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (ChicagosFineset @ Nov 2 2006, 04:51 AM)
So then have any of the dragons sent space expeditions to receive the bones?

As was said earlier, the official answer about the bones (at the moment) is that they are fake.

Your comment is valid and I understand if in the game world they are seen as "fake" but thats way to weird for the "Big D" to do that to the masses.

What would be even crazyier if a dragon came from outerspace (it doesnt mater where). A cosmic dragon if you will but thats stretching it way to far. For now I'll settle wondering what a dragon would do if a real life alien landed in the 6th world. That would fuck there machavalien scemes up.

Maybe the spaceship could also take all the black people away from the earth like Farakhan once preached :D (I hope everyone see's the sacrcasim in this last comment white people tend to not listen to crazies like him)

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:38 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.