> BOOO Shadowrun, Things we hate in the game
ChicagosFinest
post Nov 4 2006, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,422

NO OFFENSE TO THE WRITERS AND ADMINS!

This is meant to be a tongue and cheek bitchfest for all thos parties interested. NOT an attack on the writers and admins (I love you guys like my imaginary frat boy brother. As Chris Farley said "Brothers don't shake hands. brothers HUG!")

So lets bitch, whine and moan about everything and have a good time ok?

For me (I'm reading Runner Havens) my #1 gripe is the Crimson Crush. BBBBOOOOO!!! What a knock of of the Black panthers and BTL dealing on the side? Why doesn't the new govenor (or the old one) flood redmond with cheep BTL's! That will teach those radical ork visionaries a thing or two about doing positive things for the people in there community while being radical and revolutionary enough to stand up against their oppressors. BBBBOOOOOO!!!!!

AGAIN I MUST STRESS THAT THIS IS NOT TO BE OFFENSIVE TO THE WRITERS OR ADMINS. IM HOPING FOR GOOD CLEAN FUN WITH NO PERSONAL SHOTS BELOW THE BELT. :D
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ChicagosFinest
post Nov 4 2006, 06:22 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

You know what bad Idea...... Can an admin take this down or delete it. I only see evil comming from this post and not good.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 4 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #3

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

hmm, i expected mfb to have already asked "what isn't?!" or something similar...

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Nov 4 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #4

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)
You know what bad Idea...... Can an admin take this down or delete it. I only see evil comming from this post and not good.

There's nothing wrong with folks having a chat about things they don't like as long as they do it without it degernating into a flaming mess. That being said, please don't let it degenerate into a flaming mess. :)

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Nov 4 2006, 07:19 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

To my knowledge it was never exactly explained how fake sins work. BOOO!

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Nov 4 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #6

Uncle Fisty

Matrix book has some. Essentially data planning, ghacking in to various systems, leaving data behind to 'validate' a SIN. Creating a credit history, school records, birth certificate, etc.

Crimson Crush: They've been around for a few editions. And the mayor can't do that 'cause BTL's are really expensive.Plus, corps would lose their cheap cheap manual labor force. Besides that, you gotta have some "fight the powa'" folks. Other wise, all you've got is "the powa", and that's boring without fighting.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Nov 4 2006, 07:30 PM
Post #7

Running Target

I was thinking more of a backtrack search, where someone has your biometric data or dna or whatever, and tries to find all SINs linked to that.

I have some vague ideas about preventing something like that, but they are not very satisfying, and won't work with a central SIN database.

This is the one background issue I never understood, so again: BOOO!

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Nov 4 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #8

Uncle Fisty

Well, a lot of ID types, like high end credsticks, require ID types like eye scans, DNA for platinum sticks, that sort of thing. So it would stand to reason that there would be databases storing this information. Search the systems, and see what matches.

What bothers me is lack of follow up on Hatcherman. BOOO!!

+Quote Post
knasser
post Nov 4 2006, 07:48 PM
Post #9

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

I see no reason why we can't keep this thread civilised - if someone really dislikes Shadowrun, then they're probably not hanging around Dumpshock. All criticism can probably be taken as "I really like SR, but this bit bugs me."

Me? I can't stand Technomancers. Magic taking over the matrix - do not like. It's the only thing in Shadowrun that bothers me, I think. Sadly I think with the next product release I'm finally going to have to start houseruling. Fuck and double fuck. :(

Dragon worshippers. Okay, not Fanpro's fault at all. I just get annoyed by people who go "Ooo Wonderful Lofwyr has initiate grade 86 he's sooo invinicible and green is such an attractive colour, I always thought." etc. etc. ad nauseum.

Yep, that's it. I think I'm done in this thread. :D

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Nov 4 2006, 07:51 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

I was thinking more of a backtrack search, where someone has your biometric data or dna or whatever, and tries to find all SINs linked to that.

Well, DNA tests are accurate to about 1 in 1 billion. You can do a more in depth test that is more discriminatory, but I can't imagine that the hand held models have ever been made much better. That means that in the whole world, any strip of DNA you put into the machine is going to turn up like 6 or 7 individuals (many of whom may be SINless).

So if you happen to be lucky enough to have all your genetic duplicates living in the Central African Empire or something where none of them appear on official databases. you could plausibly carry up to 6 fake SINs and have that be backtraced without even raising eyebrows.

DNA scans can rule someone out withincredible accuracy and power. And as sch they make great scans for credstick or entrance verification (if someone isn't an authorized person, they have a better chance of winning the lottery than they do of being able to pass a DNA scan). But they won't make a 100% positive match ever. They'll always bring up a small list of potential people from around the world, and the computer will then check their last financial, travel, employment, and medical records to determine the most likely candidate to put on top. And if your Fake SIN is good enough, it will have enough Google Bombing going on that your fake SIN will come up as the first name and it will have your face on it and everything. That will be the end of that most of the time.

What bothers me is lack of follow up on Hatcherman.

He was the recipient of early Cybermancy over a decade ago. He's dead now, one way or another. With modern, advanced cybermantic techniques he could probablyy persist for that amount of time, but before the sacrifice of people like Hatchetman the cybermancy we have today just wouldn't be possible. The stable cyberzombies of the 2070s are a direct result of hands on research with people like Hatchetman. We salute these brave (and dead) guin... test subjects.

-Frank

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Nov 4 2006, 07:58 PM
Post #11

Uncle Fisty

That was beautiful man. *sniffle*

Thanks for the closure.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Nov 4 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,607

Yes hooray for cyberzomb..... hey wait a sec. Screw those bastards.

+Quote Post
ChicagosFinest
post Nov 4 2006, 08:16 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Not hearing more about cyber zombies in Street magic BBBBOOOOO!!!! :D

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Nov 4 2006, 08:20 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)
Not hearing more about cyber zombies in Street magic BBBBOOOOO!!!! :D

Cyberzombies were never in the magic book, you'll have to wait for augmentation. Booo!

-Frank

+Quote Post
ChicagosFinest
post Nov 4 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest @ Nov 4 2006, 03:16 PM)
Not hearing more about cyber zombies in Street magic BBBBOOOOO!!!!  :D

Cyberzombies were never in the magic book, you'll have to wait for augmentation. Booo!

-Frank

LOL I stand corrected! Thanks Frank your a loveable guy now get writing on my cyberzombies! Alpha and Omega have a lot of splaining to do!

OH, and BBBBBOOOO about not hearing about Harlequin, His aprentise (I forget her name), or excalibur. BBBBOOOO!!!

FINALLY.. Whats up with no Stuffer shack run at the end of 4th edition BBBBOOOOO!!!!

+Quote Post
Dale
post Nov 4 2006, 08:27 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,088

SURGE : BOO!

And other than Hatchetman, what's happened to all the major signature Shadowrun characters since the last decade? There really needs to be some sort of headcount or something to see who's still alive and in the biz.
Sally? Ghost? Sam? Kham? Wolfgang?

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Nov 4 2006, 08:27 PM
Post #17

Running Target

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
That means that in the whole world, any strip of DNA you put into the machine is going to turn up like 6 or 7 individuals (many of whom may be SINless).

I guess you were distracted when you implied that a search in the SIN database would turn up SINless :grinbig:.

So if you happen to be lucky enough to have all your genetic duplicates living in the Central African Empire or something where none of them appear on official databases. you could plausibly carry up to 6 fake SINs and have that be backtraced without even raising eyebrows.

Would it raise eyebrows if 6 of those DNA matches live in your hometown, and the biometric data (or even an attached photograph) is practically identical?

But they won't make a 100% positive match ever. They'll always bring up a small list of potential people from around the world, and the computer will then check their last financial, travel, employment, and medical records to determine the most likely candidate to put on top. And if your Fake SIN is good enough, it will have enough Google Bombing going on that your fake SIN will come up as the first name and it will have your face on it and everything. That will be the end of that most of the time.

Security isn't dumb, if they got your data from a crime scene, they won't stop looking at the first SIN the computers provide, they know it will be most likely a fake, and take a look at all of them.
Just to be clear: I'm not talking about a SIN check per se, but about trying to find all matching SINs connected to data someone somewhere found somehow for some reason :D.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Nov 4 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Nov 4 2006, 02:51 PM)
DNA scans can rule someone out withincredible accuracy and power. And as sch they make great scans for credstick or entrance verification (if someone isn't an authorized person, they have a better chance of winning the lottery than they do of being able to pass a DNA scan). But they won't make a 100% positive match ever.

This is why DNA is considered is not useful as a part of biometric verification system, which is the application here. It doesn't distinguish between identical twins, clones etc. Plus the sequencing process to get high resolution takes too long to be useful in making go-no go decisions. Its still very useful in other ways, such as biometric identification, but not for verification.

An effective biometric verifier has to have "chaotic morphogenesis of its minutiae". Which means that you don't have duplicates at all because minor initial factors in fetal development change the outcome greatly.

Fingerprints are one. While fingerprint patterns are inherited, the actual fingerprints are unique even between identical twins. As are irises, with a likelihood of a match between two people of 1 in 10^78. And retinal patterns. And blood vessels in you finger. There are lots of useful biometrics useful as verifiers, that will reliably discriminate between a given individual and someone posing as him and are very fast. DNA just isn't one of them.

Exactly what a "fake SIN" is depends on what you want. Do you want to pay for a drink at stuffershack using you online account, do you want to get on a suborbital , or do you want to avoid having the jail in-processing unit figure out that you are not who you say you are when they run everything? Each of these requires a lot more work than the one before. And duplicate biometrics will certainly raise a big flag at either the airport or the jail.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Nov 4 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,607

QUOTE (Dale @ Nov 4 2006, 08:27 PM)
SURGE : BOO!

And other than Hatchetman, what's happened to all the major signature Shadowrun characters since the last decade? There really needs to be some sort of headcount or something to see who's still alive and in the biz.

What you want a VH1 special, "where are they now"?
And I like SURGE damn it.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Nov 4 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #20

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

SR's "rampant illiteracy": BOOOOO
Different life spans for races as silly ways of saying "look look they're different": BOOOO
Ork litters: BOOOO
IEs: BOOOOO
The presentation of certain entities as Invincible Plot Hammers™ and all-knowing all-powerful you can't beat them (Johnsons, dragons, etc): BOOOO
meta-human variants: BOOOOOO
several things about SR4: BOOOOOOO

gotta go back to titan quest now
:)

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Nov 4 2006, 09:20 PM
Post #21

Uncle Fisty

Glad you got that off your chest finally? :D

+Quote Post
jklst14
post Nov 4 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #22

CosaNostra Deliverator

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,034

QUOTE (Dale)

There's a reference to Kham on Page 99 of Runner Havens in the shadowtalk by Fatima. Basically, Kham's retired and their is a group called the "Bot'Kham" (translates as Sons of Kham) who operate as a cell for the Creeps.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Nov 5 2006, 09:38 AM
Post #23

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (eidolon)
Different life spans for races as silly ways of saying "look look they're different": BOOOO
The presentation of certain entities as Invincible Plot Hammers™ and all-knowing all-powerful you can't beat them (Johnsons, dragons, etc): BOOOO

What he said. And more:

AGS: BOOOO!!!!
Only one attribute to resist spells (honestly, who's using Countersopelling all the time): BOOO
Still no good ruling for cyber limbs: BOO!!

+Quote Post
knasser
post Nov 5 2006, 09:58 AM
Post #24

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (eidolon)

I don't get that. Why is it silly? You want elves to have normal human lifespans? I see the aging differences being interesting role-playing opportunities.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 5 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

what isn't?!

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:16 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.