IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magical groups, What do they look like for your PC's?
emo samurai
post Nov 7 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

Do they join them, or are they created by your PC's? Are they cross-tradition? And any weird ones?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Nov 7 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,304

My groups have joined them in the past. In the current group, they made their own group (oath, secrecy, fraternity).

+Quote Post
Smed
post Nov 7 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 241

I've played in one game where the group made their own tradition. Usually the magically active types join other groups, not found their own.

+Quote Post
2bit
post Nov 8 2006, 12:12 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,526

Join them. PC created groups tend to be munchy and completely focused on cheap initiation and easy restrictions.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Nov 8 2006, 02:34 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (2bit @ Nov 8 2006, 12:12 AM)
Join them.  PC created groups tend to be munchy and completely focused on cheap initiation and easy restrictions.

That's one reason they now have a limit on the group initiation benefits you get with small magical groups.

Getting back to Emo's post, my players tend to look for magical groups outside the core runner team, otherwise the mortality rate tends to put a cramp on group development. :evil:

The Oxford Great Circle in the Street Magic's fiction introduction to Magical Groups recruited one of my players during the Wild Ley War, just before Pendragon vanished...

Currently, the Benandanti/Travellers and Vigilia Evangelica are providing the backdrop for a globe-trotting magical conspiracy campaign involving the Black Lodge (well, I had to do something with all the notes I had left over from the Vigilia). Though the team is aiding a pair of Benandanti, at least one player is likely to be recruited to replace a fallen Benandanti (if he continues to play his cards right).

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Nov 8 2006, 02:56 AM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

Dude, Benandanti fucking rocks.

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Nov 8 2006, 09:01 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,517

I have a large world wide Hermetic organization with several houses and local orders. Each religion that is large enough locally will have one as well. Shamans will group together based on Tribe first in my game. They all have resources and access to metamagical techniques and lots of spells they can teach.

The PCs can create one whenever they want to but they wont have most of the other benefits for these larger groups.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Nov 8 2006, 09:16 AM
Post #8

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Synner)
Currently, the Benandanti/Travellers and Vigilia Evangelica are providing the backdrop for a globe-trotting magical conspiracy campaign involving the Black Lodge (well, I had to do something with all the notes I had left over from the Vigilia). Though the team is aiding a pair of Benandanti, at least one player is likely to be recruited to replace a fallen Benandanti (if he continues to play his cards right).

Never deal with a dragon.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Nov 8 2006, 10:51 AM
Post #9

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

One of my chars was a member of IOND. Strong ropes attached, but quite resourceful.

In all other cases, a small and shadowfriendly group was created. Props up to limiting the usefullness of small groups. Booo-ring.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Nov 8 2006, 04:51 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Synner @ Nov 8 2006, 10:34 AM)

Never deal with a dragon.

Never trust an elf.

I'm working on getting all my teammates to form our magical group.

We ended up with only one pc that isn't magically active in some way, and the GM is considering letting him buy the "Latent Awakening" quality retroactively. So we had a ready made group.

The side benefit is that I'm going to work it up to include the Fraternity restriction, as well as an Oath which prevents backstabbing. It makes a nice twist to have a Shadowrunning team that knows they will drop in power if they betray their comrades....

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Nov 8 2006, 05:01 PM
Post #11

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

I've had players join and create them in past games. Both worked equally well.

I've only ever created one for an actual PC of mine. If I can remember (and find it) I'll post it sometime.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:04 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.