Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magical groups
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
Do they join them, or are they created by your PC's? Are they cross-tradition? And any weird ones?
Mistwalker
My groups have joined them in the past. In the current group, they made their own group (oath, secrecy, fraternity).
Smed
I've played in one game where the group made their own tradition. Usually the magically active types join other groups, not found their own.
2bit
Join them. PC created groups tend to be munchy and completely focused on cheap initiation and easy restrictions.
Synner
QUOTE (2bit @ Nov 8 2006, 12:12 AM)
Join them.  PC created groups tend to be munchy and completely focused on cheap initiation and easy restrictions.

That's one reason they now have a limit on the group initiation benefits you get with small magical groups.

Getting back to Emo's post, my players tend to look for magical groups outside the core runner team, otherwise the mortality rate tends to put a cramp on group development. :evil:

The Oxford Great Circle in the Street Magic's fiction introduction to Magical Groups recruited one of my players during the Wild Ley War, just before Pendragon vanished...

Currently, the Benandanti/Travellers and Vigilia Evangelica are providing the backdrop for a globe-trotting magical conspiracy campaign involving the Black Lodge (well, I had to do something with all the notes I had left over from the Vigilia). Though the team is aiding a pair of Benandanti, at least one player is likely to be recruited to replace a fallen Benandanti (if he continues to play his cards right).
emo samurai
Dude, Benandanti fucking rocks.
Garrowolf
I have a large world wide Hermetic organization with several houses and local orders. Each religion that is large enough locally will have one as well. Shamans will group together based on Tribe first in my game. They all have resources and access to metamagical techniques and lots of spells they can teach.

The PCs can create one whenever they want to but they wont have most of the other benefits for these larger groups.
toturi
QUOTE (Synner)
Currently, the Benandanti/Travellers and Vigilia Evangelica are providing the backdrop for a globe-trotting magical conspiracy campaign involving the Black Lodge (well, I had to do something with all the notes I had left over from the Vigilia). Though the team is aiding a pair of Benandanti, at least one player is likely to be recruited to replace a fallen Benandanti (if he continues to play his cards right).

Never deal with a dragon.
Ryu
One of my chars was a member of IOND. Strong ropes attached, but quite resourceful.

In all other cases, a small and shadowfriendly group was created. Props up to limiting the usefullness of small groups. Booo-ring.
lorechaser
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Synner @ Nov 8 2006, 10:34 AM)

Never deal with a dragon.

Never trust an elf.

I'm working on getting all my teammates to form our magical group.

We ended up with only one pc that isn't magically active in some way, and the GM is considering letting him buy the "Latent Awakening" quality retroactively. So we had a ready made group.

The side benefit is that I'm going to work it up to include the Fraternity restriction, as well as an Oath which prevents backstabbing. It makes a nice twist to have a Shadowrunning team that knows they will drop in power if they betray their comrades....
eidolon
I've had players join and create them in past games. Both worked equally well.

I've only ever created one for an actual PC of mine. If I can remember (and find it) I'll post it sometime.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012