Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Probing the Target Countermeasures?
Lord Ben
post Nov 21 2006, 02:51 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,659

Is there a way to actively scan for people probing your target?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OneTrikPony
post Nov 21 2006, 03:34 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,299

Hey man, if you're not into that kind of thing don't hangout with those types of people. Alternately: some type of chastity belt might help. :D

However if your talking about hacking and you want something more than the one shot Analyze + Firewall test upon intrusion (woa! and the entendres keep coming in pairs!) you could put the target node behind a "clean" node running an agent with an Analyze program.

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Nov 21 2006, 03:35 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,517

probing your target in what way? ;)
Could you be more specific

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Nov 21 2006, 04:21 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

For the pervs out there I mean if they're doing the probing the target instead of hacking on the fly is there anyway to prevent them from simply racking up enough successes to have admin access.

Say I want to invest my hard earned street dollars into my own brothel in the barrens. I have my commlink on active mode so the girls know who I am and the johns know I'm not just some scummy Orc customer. I'm the scummy orc that owns the place... :) And it's in active mode so that people can interact and pay.

I want to prevent some guy from just sitting in a room with a girl and hacking on the fly until he gets my business records. Is there a way to do this with book programs and book equipment while still maintaining the spirit of the game?

+Quote Post
Magus
post Nov 21 2006, 05:09 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

Multiple Agents running Analyze, Scan and Ice. Also databomb your business files with Tarbaby

+Quote Post
OneTrikPony
post Nov 21 2006, 05:44 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

would that we could have TARBABY databombs, looks like we'll wait for 2008 before the matrix rules are expanded.

note, that IC running on your comlink can't analyze an exterior node. Which is why this perv sugests a "tiered" approach. In your pimp example that would be hard to implement but databomb does work and you can still stoor the real important files on an other node then your comlink.

Mr. Pimp has an interesting problem but the realative ease of hacking in 2070 must indicate that architecure is as important as the strength of your programs.

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Nov 21 2006, 05:53 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,517

That's one of the reasons I changed the hacking to a regular test - not extended with the Firewall one of the thresholds. That way even in a slow hack it is more then just a matter of time.

+Quote Post
OneTrikPony
post Nov 21 2006, 06:48 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

DMs should not forget the words in the BBB, pp. 58
Though it may seem that characters are guaranteed of success in an Extended Test over time, that is not always the case...The game master can also limit the number of rolls...A good limit is to allow a maximum number of rolls equal to the character's dice pool...A character can also fail an extended test by glitching.

I might limit the number of rolls to the relevent skill or attribute.

To break it down:
the hacker (level 5 system) rolls Hacking 5 + Exploit 5 + hot sim 2 = 12 dice
against a (level 5 system) threshold of System 5 + firewall 5 + admin access 6 = threshold 16
He should make it in 4 rolls so it will take him 4 hours.
There isn't a high chance that he'll glitch but it's there
The target has to stay in range with his comlink on for 4 hours.
After 4 hours the pimps comlink makes a one shot Analyze 5 + Firewall 5 = 10 die, the threshold is the hacker's Stealth 5 rating

What are the chances of five hits out of 10 die?

Could simply turning your comlink off every once in a while negate previous successes that the hacker has built up?

What happens if the Pimp gets in his lowrider and cruises to the stuffer shack a couple miles away?

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Nov 21 2006, 08:21 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

QUOTE (OneTrikPony)
What are the chances of five hits out of 10 die?

About 21%. I think.

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Nov 21 2006, 08:08 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Could you just say that there are not any vulnerabilities to probe for? IE, design a system so simple that there aren't loopholes. Sure, the system could do barely more than open a door but if all it is is a trigger switch IE, if 1 then X if 0 then Y there isn't much of a way to hack it is there?

Can you hack into a drone? Of do you have to go through whatever it's subscribed to?

+Quote Post
Charon
post Nov 21 2006, 08:37 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
I want to prevent some guy from just sitting in a room with a girl and hacking on the fly until he gets my business records. Is there a way to do this with book programs and book equipment while still maintaining the spirit of the game?

In that exemple, don't keep your business record on your commlink. Store them off-line in a secured area (and perhaps simply a storage device you carry on your person) and update regularly.

There's little benefit and much risk to keeping your entire books on-line in this case.

But as to the main question... Beside having the best system and hoping that the best hackers aren't interested in you, there's not much to do but build a system that limits your vulnerability.

Protecting information goes far beyond protecting your comm-link ; and given how hard it is to prevent a hacker from breaking into any on-line device, you have to explore the other options.

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Nov 23 2006, 03:37 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

Good to see OneTrick remembered things like security level access.

Of course should that 21% come up the hacker is likly dead. As it won't be hard to noticed the guy who's been in hot sim the last four ours. But wouldn't the scan by his come come every hour. Same as the hackers check

+Quote Post
Clyde
post Nov 23 2006, 04:03 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

Don't forget to encrypt your commlink - every little bit helps.

+Quote Post
OneTrikPony
post Nov 23 2006, 08:08 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Jack Kain)
Good to see OneTrick remembered things like security level access.

Of course should that 21% come up the hacker is likly dead. As it won't be hard to noticed the guy who's been in hot sim the last four ours. But wouldn't the scan by his come come every hour. Same as the hackers check

No, that's the point of probing the target instead of brute force penetration ( :eek: RAPE! :eek: )

If the target system got a check every time the hacker made one it would be exactly the same thing but would take hours instead of seconds.

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Nov 23 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

I personally dont allow nor use the probing method, its a cheap tactic... besides, someone would notice you pinging their commlink if they had the right software. I prefer the hard and rough method of just shoving right in. :D

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Nov 23 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,984

QUOTE (Konsaki)
I personally dont allow nor use the probing method, its a cheap tactic... besides, someone would notice you pinging their commlink if they had the right software. I prefer the hard and rough method of just shoving right in. :D

People noticing you pinging their commlink is what happens when you hack on the fly.

Probing the target would be much much easier to conceal, you would be attacking from various vantage points in the matrix, with multiple identities, hidden in the normal hubbub of traffic, hence why they only can detect you on the final attack run.

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Nov 24 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #17

Runner

I still stand by my statement that it's a cheap tactic and shouldnt be used...

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Nov 24 2006, 01:07 AM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Konsaki)
I still stand by my statement that it's a cheap tactic and shouldnt be used...

it has it's drawback. you can't always afford to spend hours chipping away at a system's defense. in those situations, you have to hack on the fly.

this is nothing unusual. sure, there's no reason to hack on the fly if you are able to take your time, but hey, guess what? there's no reason to charge down a 500 foot long hallway screaming at the top of your lungs with a katana over your head when you could instead ambush the person who is walking down that hallway and get surprise on them. that's not a problem, and neither is probing the target. it's just a perfectly reasonable tactic which is useful when you can afford to use it, but which can't be used unless you have a lot of prep time.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 24 2006, 01:45 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

yeah. plus, it allows you to hold your own against hosts that you otherwise wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in. if the GM doesn't want the decker to do probling, he can simply not give the team enough time. i don't see how it's any cheaper than digging up blueprints of the facility you've been hired to hit, in order to plan your infiltration.

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Nov 24 2006, 02:13 AM
Post #20

Runner

QUOTE (mfb)
yeah. plus, it allows you to hold your own against hosts that you otherwise wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in. if the GM doesn't want the decker to do probling, he can simply not give the team enough time. i don't see how it's any cheaper than digging up blueprints of the facility you've been hired to hit, in order to plan your infiltration.

See you shouldnt do that either! You have to go in, clear a room then move to the next one and clear it, rinse and repeat! :silly:

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post Nov 24 2006, 02:32 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,367

Okay, next room is a 10 by 10 ... uh ... office room. And you see a ... roll, roll ... Ancient ... er ... I mean Great Dragon.

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Nov 24 2006, 03:18 AM
Post #22

Runner

Um... My mage does have 'Magic Missile™' right?

+Quote Post
bishop186
post Nov 24 2006, 03:25 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,988

No, it's trademarked! Can't you see that? You have "Mystic Projectile" at your disposal, though.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 24 2006, 05:42 AM
Post #24

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I 'Mystic Projectile' the darkness.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 24 2006, 05:47 AM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

we call it "powerbolt".

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:02 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.