IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do you want the Shadowrun game to do well?
Do you want the new Shadowrun game to do well?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 110
Guests cannot vote 
mfb
post Dec 1 2006, 11:02 PM
Post #76

Immortal Elf

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,670

the most recent thead that delves into discussion about why SR4 blows sucks bites is less than satisfactory to some players is pretty sedate. it doesn't get into some of the really detailed stuff, but it is, so far, a decent overview of some of the complaints levelled against the system.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 1 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #77

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Voorhees)
I want it to do well because the people who worked on it probably have families to feed too.

Most of them are salaried, you know. We're not talking a tiny developer waiting for someone to buy a copy so they can eat dinner.

~J

+Quote Post
Adam
post Dec 1 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #78

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

*holds stomach*

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 2 2006, 01:01 AM
Post #79

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

oh, come on, Adam. we all know SR4 was only put out so that you could get a new Porsche!

edit: i mean $R4!

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 2 2006, 02:02 AM
Post #80

Manus Celer Dei

I may be misinterpreting Adam's reaction, but I meant the developers working under Microsoft Game Studios and FASA Interactive.

~J

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Dec 2 2006, 02:58 AM
Post #81

ghostrider

Member No.: 6,333

You might be. He's implying that he's a starving employee of a tiny developer waiting for someone to buy a copy so he can eat dinner.

Good times. :D

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Dec 2 2006, 02:47 PM
Post #82

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

I've heard good things about it from people who like the genre and cares little about Shadowrun. If it's a good game it will generate positive asociations for the roleplaying game. I hope it does well. I hope it's the biggest success ever for Fasa Studios and they get to make a ton of follow-up games. They don't seem to have the expertice to make rpg's, but perhaps they can hire people who have for such a project if it ever comes to pass. I don't have high hopes for it, but I see no reason to wish this game to fail. I've gotten past my initial disgust and now I'm just oblivious myself, but I acknowledge that some will like it and that's fine by me.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Dec 2 2006, 04:13 PM
Post #83

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Voorhees @ Dec 1 2006, 05:54 PM)
I want it to do well because the people who worked on it probably have families to feed too.

Most of them are salaried, you know. We're not talking a tiny developer waiting for someone to buy a copy so they can eat dinner.

~J

But those salaries dry up quickly when your game fails, and they cut your team.... The video game industry is pretty cutthroat - I've known plenty of folks that got their walking papers after a bad game or two.

That being said, if you base your purchasing decisions on "Will someone suffer if I don't buy it" you're going to go mad. ;) Everything is made by someone. And if you try to buy things based on who's the poorest, you might start getting some low quality stuff. ;)

It's capitalism (at least here in the states) - you make a bad product, you suffer the consequences. Sometimes, it's not your fault, and that sucks, but....

Course, I still want it to do well. Esp. since the devs seem to clearly love the SR universe, and think they're doing something good.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 2 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #84

Manus Celer Dei

You've pretty much summed it up. For anyone who still disagrees, consider this: Byron Hall (the maker of F.A.T.A.L.) may well also have a family to feed.

~J

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 2 2006, 05:01 PM
Post #85

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Well he ain't doing a good job and they're gonna starve, 'cause I can't find his damn book anywhere.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 2 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #86

Manus Celer Dei

IIRC it's now only being sold as an e-book.

~J

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 2 2006, 05:53 PM
Post #87

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Can't find that either.

+Quote Post
jervinator
post Dec 2 2006, 08:08 PM
Post #88

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,682

I am seriously mixed. On the one hand, it has the SR name and thuss the RPG will benefit as a result... if the game does well.

On the other hand, it is SO far removed from SR that the name is about the only thing that's the same. Wrong decade, different world, changing an RPG to an FPS... so many areas that I kind of want it to fail for straying too far away from canon. Unfortunately, this might reflect poorly on the RPG.

Who here thinks that MechWarrior 4 hurt BattleTech? I mean, it's not like MS has been great at using FASA licenses...

+Quote Post
Adam
post Dec 2 2006, 08:27 PM
Post #89

Prime Runner

Can't make FPS games out of an RPG? Man, next you'll be telling people that they can't make novels out of them! How about miniature games based on RPGs? Are they still allowed? ;-)

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 2 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #90

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

The problem is that it doesn't use the world as a whole. It's Far Cry with magic. Tropical setting, teleporting people, yeah. If it didn't have the SR name, it would be called "That magic FPS with cyberware." It doesn't have intercorporate warfare, it doesn't have urban settings, and the people fucking teleport. The magic in SR is supposed to be very limited yet powerful; it's not supposed to cause big paradigm shifts. And the main characters are supposed to be shadowrunners because that's the name of the game.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Dec 3 2006, 01:17 AM
Post #91

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

QUOTE (Adam)
Are they still allowed? ;-)

No, stop talking crazy! It'll never happen! :wobble:

+Quote Post
jervinator
post Dec 3 2006, 01:48 AM
Post #92

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,682

FPSs are not a bad spin-off for an established line, but I think that they tend to lack a little something as far as plot development goes, at least compared to an RPG or strategy game.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Dec 3 2006, 02:55 AM
Post #93

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 2 2006, 10:58 AM)
You've pretty much summed it up. For anyone who still disagrees, consider this: Byron Hall (the maker of F.A.T.A.L.) may well also have a family to feed.

~J

He can't just roll to see if he eats them?

Edit: Or rapes them, uses the for a toilet, or fumbles and turns into some racist caricature?

+Quote Post
Taran
post Dec 3 2006, 04:16 AM
Post #94

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,891

QUOTE (Fortune)
Can't find that either.

So God has your back. Nifty.

I want it to fail. If Microsoft doesn't see SR as a valuable videogame property, they're less likely to go after any fangames that may spring up in this travesty's wake. I'd feel differently if I thought that the FPS community had a reservoir of potential roleplayers to bring into the fold, but I doubt it. Take the guys from where I work - smart, creative, capable, FPS gamers all, but they sneer at the bloody Star Wars RPG. There's no chance that Shadowrun is going to tip them over.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Dec 5 2006, 07:04 PM
Post #95

Runner

Member No.: 98

I had absolutely zero exposure to Warhammer 40k until the video game Dawn of War came out. The game was decent (although the single-player campaign was kind of bare-bones), it introduced me to a pretty interesting universe, and it got me into playing the tabletop game.

Well, specifically, the Veteran Sargeant and the Dreadnought in the opening cinematic sold me on trying the tabletop game, and that try got me playing. But that's just me :P

Dawn of War isn't a pure adaptation of WH40k by any means. Hell, you can build structures, gather resources, and reinforce squads in the field... hardly the tabletop game in that sense. It did, however, manage to convey some of the cool aspects of the game fluff, get the general point across, and (most importantly) get me interested in checking out the tabletop game.

I fired up my evil industry-killing pirate tools, and checked out a PDF of the 40k rulebook. I saw how the game's phases (movement, shooting, assault) and things like hero units worked, and drew the connections for how they managed to be implemented into the RTS. I went into one of the GW stores and tried out a really small-scale game. That was a year and a half ago, and I'm still buying their (too expensive) stuff. :P

My point is this: the Shadowrun FPS doesn't have to be a perfect representation of Shadowrun to get people checking out PnP Shadowrun. If it's a decent game in it's own right that maintains at least some of the flavor of PnP SR, you'll get people who are interested enough to go looking for PnP SR.

If there's enough resources out there (a good main site, links to fansites/resources like Dumpshock, some free basic rules and runs intended to get players interested in actually going out, grabbing the full BBB, and giving the game a shot), then SR PnP will get a huge boost out of the FPS, despite the fact that it's not a perfect duplicate. An incredibly basic writeup on dwarves might include something along the lines of "+1 Willpower: dwarves tend to be more resistant to stun damage and some magical effects." Someone coming over from the video game would say "Oh, okay, that's where that immunity thing in the videogame came from" and move on to check out the next bit of rules.

If they liked the FPS, and the resources that they can find when they go looking for the PnP are inviting, interesting, and expand on their seed of knowledge of the SR world that they've gotten from the FPS, then we should see a good boost in playerbase. Free advertising in the form of a videogame never hurts, and free advertising in the form of a successful videogame franchise is ideal. Hoping that the game fails just because it's a deviation from canon is shortsighted and self-centered. There's a synergistic potential between the FPS and the PnP, and we should try to take advantage of it.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Dec 5 2006, 07:19 PM
Post #96

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Related to Shrike's point, any idea if there'll be a Quick Start Guide for SR4? I know that book was awesome for getting people into SR3, and making it available for free was a very smart move IMO. If I were Fan Pro, I'd try to push that out before any of the splat books (and I'm sure there are plenty of people here who would be happy to help!)

+Quote Post
bishop186
post Dec 5 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #97

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,988

You raise a good point Shrike, though I'd have to disagree with the statement that "free advertising from a videogame never hurts." I mean, what if the game tanks and just isn't fun/involving/etc. When people see SR PnP they'll think "Oh, that game sucked." and pass over it.

Agreeing with nezumi, here, the Quick Start guide was very helpful. The first Shadowrun game I ever played I used the Quick Start guide and a lot of help from the GM. I hope they do put out something like that for SR4 if they haven't already.

+Quote Post
2bit
post Dec 5 2006, 08:37 PM
Post #98

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,526

QUOTE (emo samurai)
The problem is that it doesn't use the world as a whole. It's Far Cry with magic. <snip> It doesn't have intercorporate warfare, it doesn't have urban settings, and the people fucking teleport. <snip>

Just to correct, only one map of four that I know about so far is non-urban. One is set in the city slums, one is at a power station, one is in the corporate HQ, and the last one is in the ruins of a ziggaurat.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Dec 5 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #99

Prime Runner

QUOTE (nezumi)
Related to Shrike's point, any idea if there'll be a Quick Start Guide for SR4? I know that book was awesome for getting people into SR3, and making it available for free was a very smart move IMO. If I were Fan Pro, I'd try to push that out before any of the splat books (and I'm sure there are plenty of people here who would be happy to help!)

Quick Start Rules are well underway. Plans for how they will be distributed beyond a free PDF are not yet finalized.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Dec 5 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #100

Runner

Member No.: 98

Adam: my one suggestion with regards to the Quick-Start rules (and hey, I'm just some guy on the Internet) is that they be available by the time that the FPS ships, and that they be incredibly easy to find. Google searches for "Shadowrun" should, hopefully, turn them up in the first few hits. I'd also give the SR RPG website a bit of a polish (hopefully before the FPS ships) as - and I say this with no insult intended, simply an observation - it currently looks like some Half-Life modification's website. It doesn't need a complete overhaul, or a super-l33t flash animation, or anything... but at the moment it's got some oddball formatting errors, and I'd personally pass on listing the print and ebooks in the current fashion (as, at first glance, it looks like an accidental double-listing rather than two seperate categories). Maybe go with something along the lines of a "latest releases" with links to the print and ebook versions on the page you're taken to when you click on the image of the book?

I've got a screenshot of the formatting problems I see if you'd like to see it, but you could probably see them yourself if you set an IE window to be somewhere under 800 pixels across.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:35 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.