Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New mentor spirit: The Void, From the Book of Five Rings
emo samurai
post Nov 27 2006, 08:18 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

The void is all that one cannot know or comprehend, but must perceive nonetheless. It is all that is unknowable to Mankind. It is the Great Beyond, the stuff between the lines, between the worlds.

Followers of the Void are endlessly seeking knowledge. They are experts of the uncategorizable and as such are great at dealing with free spirits.

Advantages: +2 to Assensing and Perceptions, +2 to all Negotiation, Assensing, Arcana, Binding, and Banishing tests involving free spirits.

Disadvantages: The Void magician has a hard time resisting the call of the unknown, even, or especially, in the presence of danger. He must make a Willpower+Charisma (3) test to avoid pursuing a lead in arcane lore, even if it interrupts a vital task.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Nov 27 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #2

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

I understand the Assensing and Perception bonuses, as well as the arcana rolls, given the pursuit of understanding and observing what can't be known, but what does the Void have to do with Free Spirits?

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Nov 27 2006, 08:31 PM
Post #3

Dragon

They're children of the Metaplanes. This was meant to be a metaplanar questor's mentor spirit.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Nov 27 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #4

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Do you really think those advantages and disadvantages are balanced, or do you think they're AWESOME?

edited for awesomeness.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Nov 27 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #5

Dragon

The assensing and perception bonuses are balanced. And I intended this to be like the +2 for ____ spirits bonuses for other mentor spirits. Since you can't summon mentor spirits with a test, you get +2 to negotiating with and assensing them. The banishing bonus comes from the same idea. And the disadvantage means that if a powerful free spirit passes by or a really good metamagic idea pops up with a Dewey Decimal number attached to it, he'll break off his run and chase the spirit/metamagic technique.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Nov 27 2006, 08:44 PM
Post #6

Oh, see, I read it wrong. I read it as +2 Negotiations, Arcana, and Binding in all situations, and +2 to Banishing free spirits. You meant +2 Negotiations, Arcana, Binding, and Banishing, but all four only apply to free spirits.

I got my order of operations wrong.
Yeah, that's a lot better.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Nov 27 2006, 08:45 PM
Post #7

Dragon

Yeah, this would be unfairly awesome. I don't like unfairness. :(

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Nov 27 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #8

Sounds like a very cool mentor. I like it.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Nov 27 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #9

Dragon

I'm gonna make it Shen's mentor spirit, except it won't be based off of the works of Miyamoto Musashi.

Now to make it great form. :evil:

The Limitless Void

Followers of the Limitless Void believe that the area outside of human comprehending is infinite and may even extend within the familiar bonds of human knowledge. This does not stop them from perceiving all things and even drives them towards it.

Advantages: +2 to Assensing and Perception, +2 to all tests involving free spirits, +2 to detection spells.

Disadvantages: The Void magician has a hard time resisting the call of the unknown, even, or especially, in the presence of danger. He must make a Willpower+Charisma (3) test to avoid pursuing a lead in arcane lore, even if it interrupts a vital task.

If a Limitless Void magician fails to get a vital piece of arcane lore, then he takes -1 to all actions until he gets it.

Logic and Intuition must be 6.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.