IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Image Magnification, Looking for rules and opinions...
Wonazer
post Oct 27 2003, 09:07 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,643

Image Modification systems lower the TN of a longer distance shot by their rating in categories. SR3, pg 111

So, if I have a Rating 2 scope my Medium and Long ranges shots ar at a base target number of 4. What about Extreme? The target at extreme range would still benefit from a Rating 1 or 2 scope.

Rating 1

Short - TN 4
Medium - TN 4
Long - TN 5
Extreme - TN 6

Rating 2

Short - TN 4
Medium - TN 4
Long - TN 4
Extreme - TN 5

Rating 3

Short - TN 4
Medium - TN 4
Long - TN 4
Extreme - TN 4

The reason I am asking you all here is that someone told me that is should look like this:

Rating 1

Short - TN 4
Medium - TN 4
Long - TN 6
Extreme - TN 9

Rating 2

Short - TN 4
Medium - TN 4
Long - TN 4
Extreme - TN 9

Rating 3

Short - TN 4
Medium - TN 4
Long - TN 4
Extreme - TN 4

Which is correct? Is there another, better way? I am not so interested in canon as I am balance and logic.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Req
post Oct 27 2003, 09:09 PM
Post #2

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 277

I believe canon is: a rating 2 scope reduces the range band by 2 categories:

Short stays short,
Med becomes short,
Long becomes short,
Extreme becomes Medium.

But I could be way off-base.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Oct 27 2003, 09:11 PM
Post #3

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

Nindaru, you're right on what you've got. The only thing better overall than vision mag 3 is SL-2 with a range finder or vision mag 3 with a high power laser sight.

+Quote Post
Wonazer
post Oct 27 2003, 09:12 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
Nindaru, you're right on what you've got. The only thing better overall than vision mag 3 is SL-2 with a range finder or vision mag 3 with a high power laser sight.

Huh? English (and book references) please...

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 27 2003, 09:13 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

I'll third Req and Tinker.

-Siege

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Oct 27 2003, 09:19 PM
Post #6

Dragon

QUOTE (Nindaru @ Oct 27 2003, 05:12 PM)
Huh?  English (and book references) please...

Vision Mag 3
Short TN 4
Medium TN 4
Long TN 4
Extreme TN 4

Vision Mag 3 w/laser sight*
Short TN 3
Medium TN 3
Long TN 3
Extreme TN 3
* Past laser sight range, these revert to normal vision mag numbers. Laser sights have a day/night range of 50m/150m and the extended range laser sights are 150m/500m

Smartlink-2
Short TN 2
Medium TN 3
Long TN 4 (6)
Extreme TN 7

Smartlink-2 with rangefinder
Short TN 2
Medium TN 3
Long TN 3 (5)
Extreme TN 5

For all of these, check the record sheet at the back of CC (after page 126). My last sammie had an Ares Alpha CG with rangefinder and Vision mag 3, so his combined target numbers are:

Short TN 2
Medium TN 3
Long TN 3 (4)
Extreme TN 4

[edit] For that particular weapon, I find the SL-2 is a better system, overall, since you're getting TN 2 for that first 50 meters of range. With his dart pistol, he uses a regular laser sight instead, to get those nice even TN 3s. Smartlink isn't worth it on such a gun because the short range is only 5 meters. If you're shooting someone at 5m or less, you generally don't need much in the way of help to hit them (seeing as how they're likely not in cover). [/edit]

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 27 2003, 09:23 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

you're correct, nindaru; see page 110 in SR3. the wording here is extremely difficult to misinterpret.

uh, rangefinder is a smartlink subcomponent. i would think that, as such, you couldn't combine its benefits with magnification.

+Quote Post
Req
post Oct 27 2003, 09:25 PM
Post #8

So it's been so long I don't even remember if it's a house rule or Canon™, but - we've always played such that magnification (of any kind, scope or VisionMag) didn't stack with smartlink hardware. I got so tired of TN 2/2/2/2 gunbunnies...

Thoughts?

+Quote Post
Wonazer
post Oct 27 2003, 09:27 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Ok, I am still a little lost. What's with the TN in () for long range on your Smartlink lists.

I didn't realize you could combine with a laser sight. Duh!

I do not have access to CC so I am not aware of their record sheets.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Oct 27 2003, 09:30 PM
Post #10

Dragon

QUOTE (Req @ Oct 27 2003, 05:25 PM)
So it's been so long I don't even remember if it's a house rule or Canon™, but - we've always played such that magnification (of any kind, scope or VisionMag) didn't stack with smartlink hardware.  I got so tired of TN 2/2/2/2 gunbunnies...

They don't stack. However, you can choose the system that gives you the best shot in each situation. At longer ranges, sammies know to switch to the vision magnification instead of the smartlink. The parenthesis are for grenade launchers, mortars, and missiles.

[edit] Took me a minute to dig up the exact rule on the () numbers. SR3 p 119 has the TN for grenade launchers and you'll notice that long range is an 8 instead of a 6 (as for normal fire). Thus, most of the time the TN to hit with a GL or thrown grenade is two higher than with anything else at long range. [/edit]

+Quote Post
Req
post Oct 27 2003, 09:33 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
They don't stack. However, you can choose the system that gives you the best shot in each situation. At longer ranges, sammies know to switch to the vision magnification instead of the smartlink. The parenthesis are for grenade launchers, mortars, and missiles.

OK, good. Glad I was following the rules all these years. :)

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Oct 27 2003, 09:49 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 5,729

Has anyone here ever looked at a target through a scope IRL? Sure, it makes that distant target nice and big...but what happens when that target starts to move and you have to track it? If you are zoomed up nice and close, the target will easily slip out of your field of vision. If you've got a wide enough field of view to make it easy to keep your moving target bracketed, then the target's profile will be much smaller and much harder to hit.

Raygun has a good houserule for scopes, and the downside of using them. Practically speaking, they are really only useful if you are trying to hit a stationary or very slowly moving/unaware target. In a fire fight with goons 100+ meters away, a scope is the wrong thing to try and use. Unless, of course, YOU are 300 meters away from the firefight, on the roof of a building providing sniper support.

And don't even get me started on cybernetic vision mag and how much trouble THAT would be. Try strapping some binoculars to your head and walking around, see how many things you trip over/knock down.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 27 2003, 09:51 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Well, if you're using cyber-mag, odds are you've learned the trick of re-zooming before you look away.

Otherwise the migraines would be murder.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Req
post Oct 27 2003, 10:09 PM
Post #14

That or, of course, something like expanding the hotspot at the center of your vision while leaving the periphery at the original setting. I assume giving someone total tunnel-vision wouldn't be a goal of high-end 'ware designers.

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Oct 27 2003, 10:14 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Of course you would HAVE to learn that trick just to get by. But what about when you are in a firefight and have to keep moving? Not to mention you lose ALL of your peripheral vision when you are zoomed in. That makes it real easy to get capped by the bad guy who is way off to your left.

Even if you would move, stop, zoom in, shoot, zoom out, move, stop, zoom in, etc., it would still cost you some time...mabye once simple action per combat round or something. And that's something that I think would take a LOT of practice to get running smoothly. And what happens if you stop and zoom in and your Smarlink Crosshairs aren't anywhere in your field of vision because your weapon is pointed just a bit off target. And can you imagine how much the crosshairs would be jumping around if you weren't using a bipod or something similar to rest your weapon on?

+Quote Post
Wonazer
post Oct 27 2003, 10:26 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

And what happens if you stop and zoom in and your Smarlink Crosshairs aren't anywhere in your field of vision because your weapon is pointed just a bit off target

Ronin, I thought the Smartlink didn't work with magnification...?

Even if you would move, stop, zoom in, shoot, zoom out, move, stop, zoom in, etc., it would still cost you some time

Who is to say that the zoom is not at the speed of thought (i.e. Decking)? I have never heard of deckers getting nasuea from the blur of moving around in the Matrix. Same goes for Astral Projection.

And what happens if you stop and zoom in and your Smarlink Crosshairs aren't anywhere in your field of vision because your weapon is pointed just a bit off target

I could only see that applying if you are VERY zoomed in. I only want to zoom in enough to get the target number down to Short range level which is STILL a minimum of 5 meters even with a light pistol. And if I can flawlessly walk my fire with a Smartlink, I can move my crosshairs while I zoom in. But, it is irrelevant due to incompatability.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Oct 27 2003, 10:27 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

If it's electronic vision magnification then it would be an effectiely instant zoom-out. I'd let optical magnification do the same as you could quickly change between tiny-lens sets in the eye.

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Oct 27 2003, 10:41 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

QUOTE (Nindaru)

Ronin, I thought the Smartlink didn't work with magnification...?

The bonuses don't stack, but the cyber eye Image mag is it's most useful with a smartgun link.

The SG link gives you an reticle for point of impact, just like a reflex sight might. The big difference is you don't have to have the gun in line with your eye.

A rifle scope gives you a point of impact _and_ a magnified field of view.

Cyber image mag only gives the magnified field of view. You still need the POI somehow.

I am confident that you would not be able to use the iron sights at 8x magnification. This leaves a laser sight or a smartgun link.

The laser dot is detectable by the target, and might be hard to find at long range. This leaves a SG reticle.

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Oct 27 2003, 11:11 PM
Post #19

Running Target

I'm sure the zomming in and out happens at the speed of thought, but think about the sudden shift in perspective that happens. That alone as to be a bit disorientating if you are zooming in and out rapidly.

And Ed is dead on about having a point of impact reference. You NEED a smartgun link (or at least a laser sight) to have any clue where your weapon is pointed at when zoomed in cybernetically.

+Quote Post
Aramus
post Oct 27 2003, 11:19 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 3,677

And if I got Elect. IMG 3 + Smartlink-2 + Laser Sight ?

Does the Smartlink-2 get rid of the laser sight bonus ? Or you get -3 TN ?

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 27 2003, 11:23 PM
Post #21

Dragon

You cannot mix any kind of Magnification and a Smartlink.

You cannot stack a smartlink and a laser sight.

You can stack a Magnification and a laser sight.

-Siege

Edit: Most gun bunnies use smartlinks at "Short" range for a -2 bonus and then switch over to a vision mag & laser sight at longer ranges.

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Oct 27 2003, 11:35 PM
Post #22

Running Target

I would say you can use a smartlink with image magnification, but you don't get the associated smartlink bonuses. After all, when zoomed in, you still need a way to know where your weapon is pointed, right?

And although this isn't cannon, I wouldn't give a player character the -1 laser sight bonus when using a scoped weapon. The crosshairs already show you where the projectile is going to hit...the red dot is a little redundant.

Then again, if you are playing Shadowrun like it's a video game, by all means use the canon rules. They work nicely if you have an exceptional suspension of disbelief.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 27 2003, 11:37 PM
Post #23

Dragon

As per canon rules, a smartlink doesn't function with vision mag.

As Ronin pointed out, you wouldn't get the -2 bonus but other smartlink functions should work like: changing fire selection, displaying ammo count and so on.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Dogsoup
post Nov 12 2003, 06:27 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 806

Too good a ripe horse carcass, to let go off...

I've started toying with the idea of letting magnifications and SL be compatible;
But instead of "moving the TN", ImMag and scopes reduce the "range-modifier" with their ratings.

This makes Extreme range a bit more difficult for non-SL:ed individuals, and TNs start to hover in the ugly 6-7 area so.... I don't know. It would be interesting hearing other people's opinions. Maybe this is the shittiest thing since the greenhouse effect.

I guess the two main objections are that the natural scope get's shafted at Extreme and it doens't make any difference between R2 and R3. My take is that TN 8 and 6 only differ on the roll of 1 in the reroll. The R2/R3 issue is harder, but could be explained by R3 being an "expert's system" requiring additional equipment. I know, it's weak...

I made a little table to easier overlook the results, I believe it's accurate:

---- Canon ----

/ Short / Med. / Long / Extreme

S.L. / 2 / 3 / 4 / 7
Natural
IM1 / 4 / 4 / 5 / 6
IM2 / 4 / 4 / 4 / 5
IM3 / 4 / 4 / 4 / 4
LasSight
IM1 / 3 / 3 / 4 / 5
IM2 / 3 / 3 / 3 / 4
IM3 / 3 / 3 / 3 / 3

---- My Ramblings ----

Natural
IM1 / 4 / 4 / 5 / 8
IM2 / 4 / 4 / 4 / 7
IM3 / 4 / 4 / 4 / 6
LasSight
IM1 / 3 / 3 / 4 / 7
IM2 / 3 / 3 / 3 / 6
IM3 / 3 / 3 / 3 / 5
Smartlinked
IM1 / 2 / 2 / 2 / 6
IM2 / 2 / 2 / 2 / 5
IM3 / 2 / 2 / 2 / 4

P.S.
Im thinking of adding in a rangeXrange/100 cost to the SL smartgun component, to balance the SL somewhat.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Nov 12 2003, 06:30 AM
Post #25

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

keep in mind that's not entirely right because the laser sight doesn't go as far as some gund long and extreme ranges, especially in daylight.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:15 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.