Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SOP for the meet.
djinni
post Dec 14 2006, 08:18 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,934

this is kinda a "what does the "average" shadowrunning group go through to ensure their safe during a meet with the johnson?"
but more I'm looking for pointers since our GM is making us micromanage everything, we have to specifically ask every single little tiny detail question otherwise we don't know it.
any pointers for pointed questions to ask would be nice.

we have a group of five, a face who is the only meat body to attend the meet.
a hacker specialized in hacking, who attends wireless link
a hacker who specializes in rigging drones, who eavesdrops wirelessly, maintaining secuity outside with drones.
and a gun toting looney that infiltrates teh meeting area as an unrelated patron.

I can't ask him "what kind of security is there." I have to be more direct in my questions, any help would be appreciated.
(btw this is a new style we are trying out to see how it works, trying to make all the meets the same so if he ambushes us later we as players won't see it coming)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vaevictis
post Dec 14 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,441

Two words: Claymore Mines.

:D

"Hey, buddy. See this box on my chest? It's a claymore mine. You know what that is? A directional mine. If I blow this sucker, it's going to break all my ribs and put me in a world of hurt. You? Well, I'm facing you, so it's going to turn you into chunky salsa if I detonate it. Don't mess with me." :D

+Quote Post
Lovesmasher
post Dec 14 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,193

A reporter branches out from the 6 obvious and essential questions:

Who - What - Where - When - Why - How

What
is the job. Mr. Johnson will usually volunteer this information.

Why, in Shadowrun is usually answered by a number. specifically, this is how much you'll get paid. That breaks down into Advance and Completion. How much do I get up front and how much do I get when we're finished. This needs to exceed your costs or it's not a job worth doing. If you can get your costs covered by the advance, you'll do fine.

When should this whole thing happen? Hopefully it's not immediately or as soon as possible. Immediately means it's exceptionally dangerous if only because there's no time to plan. This means you need to either not take the job or ask for more money in advance. My advice is a lot more. The longer you have to prepare, the more likely you are to have a successful plan that goes beyond kick the door in and kill everyone. As soon as possible is often worse than immediately because when you deem soon and when Mr. Johnson deems soon will more than likely not mesh well.

Where covers pick-up and delivery of anything that needs to be transported, stolen, kidnapped, destroyed or whathaveyou. Make sure you know both the beginning where and end where before you start anything. If Mr. Johnson won't tell you the end where before the mission starts, you need to ask for more money in advance.

How encompasses special directions. Most often Mr. Johnson won't want you to level the building that contains the computers that hold the information he wants stolen. Sometimes he will. This is a good time to find out if you're allowed to kill anyone or blow things up. If Mr. Johnson requests killing someone or blowing things up, you need to ask for more money in advance. If Mr. Johnson insists on you not killing anyone or blowing things up, you need to ask for a LOT of money at completion.

Who are the parties involved. Most often the only parties involved that you need to worry about are your team members. Other 'who's to worry about are targets to avoid, known security personelle and acceptable losses. Too many whos and you need to ask for more money.

+Quote Post
Eleazar
post Dec 14 2006, 09:20 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,130

I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to ask him a question like, "What kind of security is there." Are you playing in some parallel universe where all logic and reason are thrown out the window? Why wouldn't a Johnson tell you the type of security? Any Johnson would be willing give out this information as it will only help ensure the victory of the shadowrunner team. Unless of course he is setting you up. Mr. Johnsons are some some AI with a pilot rating 3 that are completely incapable of answering one the most specific and direct questions. What I would advise you do is have a list of some 80-100 questions that are as direct and specific as possible. I think then maybe your GM might get a clue.

Serbitar's Guide to Paranoia v1.3 has some great tips. He has 5 things listed you should ask and almost every Johnson would be willing to give out.

"1. The kind of job (extraction, observation, demolition ...)
2. The average threat level
3. Time contraints
4. Estimated number of people needed
5. Special focal points (matrix, magical, vehicle)"

Serbitar goes on to say:
"He should know this and give you all the information above. If he doesn't, you'd better run. In the worst case his head will explode in the next ten seconds and Damien Knight will pop out to spank you. In the best case he is just very new in the business and doesn't do his homework. Not a very good situation where your life may depend on the information you get."

+Quote Post
Charon
post Dec 14 2006, 09:23 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

It's just the meet.

Even if your Johnson is out to screw you, he wouldn't do it at the meet, he'd do it through the run itself.

The only reason you'd get ambushed at the meet itself is if the guy who set up the meet is out for revenge and can't wait for the whole team to be present before he goes batshit crazy in a public place. Not very likely.

In my experience, when there's violence at the meet it is 95% of the time to players fault.

So cut down in the ridiculous counter-security measure and save some for when it'll be useful and fun (metagame-wise)

---

Considering the above, I feel most of the team should be present. Perhaps even everybody. If there's really a trap, everyone needs to be within sight of the mage for counter-spelling purpose if everyone is to have a shot at surviving the first moments of the ambush.

But here's the thing ; Do your research. If you have reasons to believe the meet will be an ambush, don't show up. If you think you might get assaulted, you screwed up just by showing up.

But once you decide the meet is legit and opt to show up, do treat this like a meet and not a military operations. The objective here is to extract most information and establish a good working relation with Johnson who surely has other missions he could give you afterward.

Johnson isn't hiring a faceman, he's hiring a team. He wants to see a team. He wants to see for himself that everybody looks serious, can behave and doesn't look to be at each other's throat. He wants to see more than one person asking him pointed question to assure himself that there's some brain power and expertise spread amongst this crew instead of one slick talker and a bunch of slack jawed brute.

Meanwhile, most of the Johnson did not come ot the meet with a whole security detail. It would kinda go against the discretion and deniability factor. But amongst the few security measure he could take would be a jammer to insure communication security during the meet. Whoops. The one thing that drastically reduce the usefulness of having 4 other people playing james bond around the meet ; cutting the communications.

From a metagaming POV, it's also silly. All these precautions will require various stealth and hacking rolls. It's inevitable in the long run that poor rolls and glitches will screw up your preparation. Which is what edge is for. But do you really want to be using your edge at the meet?! Also it means a lot of game time will be dedicated to what should be a straightforward scene. As a player, this is not a very entertaining use for your time.

---

Your GM seems a bit anal retentive. Some leeway should allowed to the PCs who are supposed to be skilled and/or experienced.

This means that even though things like spotting a civilian packing heat isn't always on their mind, (i.e the PC isn't asking "Is he armed?" about every freaking NPC his character meets, thus forcing a legion of pointless rolls), it's something they should always have a chance of doing. Be it with the -2 modifier because they are distracted, they'd still have a fair shot of noticing with a good perception score.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Dec 14 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (Eleazar)
I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to ask him a question like, "What kind of security is there."

I was talking about the actual meet, not the job. however I was going to be asking about the job next.
such as the johnson says the initial meet will be "dinner at matchsticks."
and the drop off will be "coffee at FUBAR's"

we go to meet the johnson and he plans on ambushing us, at the meet, because we've attracted enemies, or he's actually doublecrossing us. the legwork before the meet takes place...
we are trying a new angle before we could just say "hey security is...?"
and he'd give a run down, but we are attemtping to make the run and the meet a similar situation where we can get surprised, or overlook details. the abstract way we can't get surprised because he's given us all the relative game information. this way we might make a mistake. if it's something important or obvious he'll let the players know btw your character would probably not overlook this detail.

and at the meet the GM plays the johnson as a person (a corporate man, who is not willingly giving out more cred than he has to). conversational, and freely giving information he thinks helps without betraying his corp masters.

unfortuantely Serbitars links don't work here, I've been trying them everyday for a long time. if someone wouldn't mind linking them, or Emailing them then I would probably get all the information I need out of them.

+Quote Post
Eleazar
post Dec 14 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,130

Charon, you make me laugh. I don't know if you meant to be funny with with your third statement but that was great.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Dec 14 2006, 09:33 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

Given the awful security of any network link in SR I'd be really leery of doing any broadcasting of a meet.

You really don't want to explain the recording Joe Random hacker made when he forwards it to you target along with the video you so helpfully made showing you and the Johnson.

We typically wanted a site the either we could control or that had fairly effective security of it's own. The Space Needle restaurant (iirc) was used a few times, as it has effective security and if someone wanted to do you harm they can't exactly make a fast getaway.

If it was a club we'd research it ahead of time and see if there were any bad things that we should know about. For those public sites that we couldn't control we'd get there early and get a feel for the place. If we could get away with weapons we'd typically smuggle them in. If security was tight enough to keep us honest it should help keep the other side honest, as long as the management doesn't have it in for us.

In a meet in an open area (which we were not really very fond of) we'd try to set it at the last minute. Like no more than 20 minutes, with us choosing the location. This was typically only the case with post run deliveries, as we really didn't like meeting people we didn't know out in the middle of nowhere. For that matter, we didn't like meeting anyone on a pre-arranged meet in the middle of nowhere. It just didn't seem like a practice conducive to long life.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Dec 14 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

Hell from some of the groups that I've played with, I wouldn't want the entire group to be there just on the basis of not wanting certain characters to talk to the Johnson and making us look unprofessional. To keep them busy, make them do the security/surveillance for the meet. ;-)

+Quote Post
Lovesmasher
post Dec 14 2006, 09:37 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (kzt)
We typically wanted a site the either we could control or that had fairly effective security of it's own. The Space Needle restaurant (iirc) was used a few times, as it has effective security and if someone wanted to do you harm they can't exactly make a fast getaway.

Demolitions 6 (controlled explosions)
Parachuting 6 (base jumping)

...just in case.
:grinbig:

+Quote Post
djinni
post Dec 14 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Charon)
Your GM seems a bit anal retentive. Some leeway should allowed to the PCs who are supposed to be skilled and/or experienced.

it's not just him...but yes...yes they are...

with the way they want to do things a "I check the place out for any bad things we should know about." doesn't work. they want a "the bouncer and front security detail, how many people, what races, how do they handle themselves, are they aremed how do they handle concealed weapons, or troublesome customers.

+Quote Post
Lovesmasher
post Dec 14 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Hell from some of the groups that I've played with, I wouldn't want the entire group to be there just on the basis of not wanting certain characters to talk to the Johnson and making us look unprofessional. To keep them busy, make them do the security/surveillance for the meet. ;-)

Make their employment contingent on them not being a douche during the meet.

I know you're a gaming group and all pals, but your PCs are putting their lives and livelihoods on the line and it's important.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Dec 14 2006, 09:47 PM
Post #13

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Vaevictis)
Two words: Claymore Mines.

"Hey, buddy. See this box on my chest? It's a claymore mine. You know what that is? A directional mine. If I blow this sucker, it's going to break all my ribs and put me in a world of hurt. You? Well, I'm facing you, so it's going to turn you into chunky salsa if I detonate it. Don't mess with me." :D

As an aside, my no-so-subtle cyber-headed troll sammy has a claymore mine as his forehead plate. With the words "THIS SIDE TOWARDS ENEMY" prominently visible.

People have asked him if it's a real claymore or just the casing. He usually simply answers, "Do you really want to find out?" They so far always drop the question.

Yes, he usually sits out the diplomatic parts of a run.

+Quote Post
Crusufix
post Dec 14 2006, 09:54 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 10,351

We have a group of

Hacker
Mage
Sam1, a True chromed Sam
Sam2, fancies himself a bodyguard, little noticeable cyber.
Rigger
Sam3, likes to remain human looking, only a little bit of noticeable cyber.

Our SOP for Meets is.

We setup the meet for some loud public place, indoors. Generally a bar of some sorts. When we get there We ask the J and his visible collegues to get in our Limo and take a ride with us. Only people at the meet are Face, Sam1, mage (in astral) and Rigger with a flight drone, Sam1 does the driving. Rigger hangs back 10 - 15 minutes to watch what goes on after the meat leaves.

We take him to another loud public place, quiet corner, indoors. Usually the Wiz Around the Corner, an Ex-runner owned meta-human pub (long story behind this place.. and the name).

Hacker meets wirelessly.
Mage meets Astrally.
Sam1 meets in meat.
Sam2 plays face.
Rigger meets via spider drone if he can (usually only allowed at the Wiz, unless we get creative)
Sam3 blends into the crowd, generally dancing.

Before the meet Hacker tries to infiltrate the camera systems of the real meet place (if it's the Wiz, we have an authentic user account!). If successful he feeds a few choice feeds to the sams ARs.

During the Meet, hacker ideally has read access to monitors for watching the whole place and meets wirelessly. Hacker tries to dig for all the information he can about the J and his collegues with him. This may include hacking the commlink of the J. He will also stay an extra hour or so after the meet.

Mage assenses the people at the meeting and those nearby. Looking specifically for any linked foci, active spells or spirit buddies.

Rigger, if he has inside drone, monitors the place, along with the hacker. If No drone inside, then Rigger monitors the place from a flight drone outside while meeting wirelessly.

Sam3 pretty much just watches the area inside, he doesn't even meet wirelessly. He only keeps contact with the Hacker. Sam3 Will usually stay an extra hour or two after the meet depending on how much fun he's having at the time.

Other Notes
-We never use names at a meet, any type of name.
-We never reveal how many are on the team.
-The two meats act like they are the only ones at the meet, never communicating directly with the Hacker, Mage, Rigger or Sam3, the others may communicate with them though, with the understanding it's a one way conversation excluding Sam3 who never contacts either one directly, he relays mostly through the Hacker.
-Face accepts any needed file transmissions, Nuyen exchanges, etc.
-Face does all the talking, with the ocassional input from Sam1. Sam1 watches whoever is with the J, not the J himself.
-Face and Sam1 run with their coms hidden. Sam3 runs with his usual com broadcast looking for playthings, actual message changes frequently.
-Sam3 figures the meet is bad if he doesn't get any play.. lol

Questions we usually ask
- What noticeable (perception test) weapons or cyber the J and his friends have.
- Are they running their comms hidden.
- Is there anyone in the crowd too interested in the meet.
- Anyone following us during the drive to the real meet.
- What happens at the original meet place after the meats have left (any vehicles start up nearby, any people looking confused or flustered. Any hurried activity of any sort.)
- Any active spells, foci or spirits with the J and his friends or perhaps another astral mage.
- Any change of emotion or aura (through mages assencing) during the meet.

I'm sure there are more questons we ask, but Not off the top of my head.

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Dec 14 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

Here's some helpful information:

1. Johnsons are kept in the dark, they know very little
2. What ever a Johnson does know, he'll lie about
3. Some times they lie by saying I don't know when they do know.

THe result is that you can't ever trust the words coming out of a Johnson's mouth. They're such lying bastards that they don't even tell you what they really want you to do. And if they're trying to pay you, don't accept any money because then it's a trap.

So when he says to steal a prototype from mitsuhama in seattle, he really means to assassinate a prominent figure from ares in bellevue. If you do this he'll be really happy, you can tell because of the loud voice he'll have. So will your GM, he'll have the same happy loud voice. :D

Sarcasm aside, meets I think tend to depend heavily on the style of the GM, ours is a bastard, so we really don't ever listen to what the Johnson wants because he'll cut his estimate of security by 50%, tell us that they have no idea we're coming (they do), and that they're poorly armed (they aren't). If your GM is a fairly nice guy, you may not need all the security, if you do need the security like we do, it's probably not even worth it to be contacted by the Johnson because he's just out to screw you anyway.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Dec 14 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

QUOTE (Lovesmasher)
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Dec 14 2006, 03:36 PM)
Hell from some of the groups that I've played with, I wouldn't want the entire group to be there just on the basis of not wanting certain characters to talk to the Johnson and making us look unprofessional.  To keep them busy, make them do the security/surveillance for the meet.  ;-)

Make their employment contingent on them not being a douche during the meet.

I know you're a gaming group and all pals, but your PCs are putting their lives and livelihoods on the line and it's important.

Oh when I GM, I do that. But other GM's sometimes are more pushovers and just doing it to get the overarching plot going in the universe.

Why make it contigent that everyone has to be at the meet? That is stupid, if the Johnson isn't out to doublecross, what if the third party faction has wind of the meet? Sheesh, there are more factions out there in the game and they're not all going sit on their behinds and only react to problems.

Speaking of gaming group and pals and PC's, it doesn't matter, as long as they play their pc's in character. Sometimes they're anarchists who don't care about the situation, some are psychotic, etc... Their livelihoods? Some do it just for the kicks and can make money jacking people and cars, see other threads.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Dec 14 2006, 10:16 PM
Post #17

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Lagomorph)
Sarcasm aside, meets I think tend to depend heavily on the style of the GM, ours is a bastard, so we really don't ever listen to what the Johnson wants because he'll cut his estimate of security by 50%, tell us that they have no idea we're coming (they do), and that they're poorly armed (they aren't).

That makes no sense. Unless he's really out to get the runners killed, why wouldn't a Johnson provide as accurate an intelligence report on the job as he can?

Granted, he might lie about the true intent behind the mission, but it'd be awfully stupid to want something done and then set up the hires to fail at doing that something.

If there's a johnson out there consistently lying about the missions he offers, it would get out among the shadow community pretty fast, and he's stop getting anyone taking the jobs.

If you're going to be a bastard GM, at least be somewhat logical about it.

+Quote Post
Marmot
post Dec 14 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 10,248

QUOTE (Lovesmasher)
A reporter branches out from the 6 obvious and essential questions:

Who - What - Where - When - Why - How

What
is the job. Mr. Johnson will usually volunteer this information.

Why, in Shadowrun is usually answered by a number. specifically, this is how much you'll get paid. That breaks down into Advance and Completion. How much do I get up front and how much do I get when we're finished. This needs to exceed your costs or it's not a job worth doing. If you can get your costs covered by the advance, you'll do fine.

When should this whole thing happen? Hopefully it's not immediately or as soon as possible. Immediately means it's exceptionally dangerous if only because there's no time to plan. This means you need to either not take the job or ask for more money in advance. My advice is a lot more. The longer you have to prepare, the more likely you are to have a successful plan that goes beyond kick the door in and kill everyone. As soon as possible is often worse than immediately because when you deem soon and when Mr. Johnson deems soon will more than likely not mesh well.

Where covers pick-up and delivery of anything that needs to be transported, stolen, kidnapped, destroyed or whathaveyou. Make sure you know both the beginning where and end where before you start anything. If Mr. Johnson won't tell you the end where before the mission starts, you need to ask for more money in advance.

How encompasses special directions. Most often Mr. Johnson won't want you to level the building that contains the computers that hold the information he wants stolen. Sometimes he will. This is a good time to find out if you're allowed to kill anyone or blow things up. If Mr. Johnson requests killing someone or blowing things up, you need to ask for more money in advance. If Mr. Johnson insists on you not killing anyone or blowing things up, you need to ask for a LOT of money at completion.

Who are the parties involved. Most often the only parties involved that you need to worry about are your team members. Other 'who's to worry about are targets to avoid, known security personelle and acceptable losses. Too many whos and you need to ask for more money.

Blatantly stealing this for my own personal use.

+Quote Post
Lovesmasher
post Dec 14 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

If possible, PM me a link and gimme credit so I can brag to my gaming group :-P

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Dec 14 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
If you're going to be a bastard GM, at least be somewhat logical about it.

I wish my GM would be logical about it too... :dead:

+Quote Post
djinni
post Dec 14 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
If there's a johnson out there consistently lying about the missions he offers, it would get out among the shadow community pretty fast, and he's stop getting anyone taking the jobs.

but he's a Mr. Johnson no one knows who he is...dun dun dunnnnnn. ;)
if he's planning on messing with the group he wants you to be good enough to handle the job but be banged up enough to not put up much of a fight at the drop off where he doublecrosses you.

+Quote Post
Lovesmasher
post Dec 14 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (djinni)
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Dec 14 2006, 05:16 PM)

but he's a Mr. Johnson no one knows who he is...dun dun dunnnnnn. ;)
if he's planning on messing with the group he wants you to be good enough to handle the job but be banged up enough to not put up much of a fight at the drop off where he doublecrosses you.

Eh, if someone doublecrosses me, the matrix is gonna see his face. Also, I might RFID him with something that screams 'DANGER: KNOWN CHILD RAPIST!' along with a looped and edited (with tasteful black bars) video of the 'evidence'.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Dec 15 2006, 12:05 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

QUOTE (djinni)

unfortuantely Serbitars links don't work here, I've been trying them everyday for a long time. if someone wouldn't mind linking them, or Emailing them then I would probably get all the information I need out of them.

Did you try today? I think I fixed that problem today.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Dec 15 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Serbitar)
QUOTE (djinni @ Dec 14 2006, 04:31 PM)

Did you try today? I think I fixed that problem today.

I'm in guam atm, so if you fixed the mainland USA errors, it might not have fixed them here, I'll check in a bit. (dialup)

+Quote Post
Charon
post Dec 15 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

QUOTE (Crusufix @ Dec 14 2006, 04:54 PM)
We setup the meet for some loud public place, indoors. Generally a bar of some sorts. When we get there We ask the J and his visible collegues to get in our Limo and take a ride with us. Only people at the meet are Face, Sam1, mage (in astral) and Rigger with a flight drone, Sam1 does the driving. Rigger hangs back 10 - 15 minutes to watch what goes on after the meat leaves.

You setup the meet?

Makes sense when you are trying to fence something valuable. You are in control.

But when you are offered a job?

Fixer: "Dude, I got you a meet for a good one, this time. It smells nuyen my friend. Johnson wants to meet you at the Exelsior to discuss an exraction."
You : "No good, tell him we'll set up the meet."
Fixer : "... I'll try."

30 seconds later

You : "So?"
Fixer : "He says he'll go with another team."

The only way a runner team would be able to dictate the terms of the meet for a job offer is if they knew for sure that they were the best available and that Johnson had no choice but to call them back.

QUOTE (Lagomorph)
Sarcasm aside, meets I think tend to depend heavily on the style of the GM, ours is a bastard, so we really don't ever listen to what the Johnson wants because he'll cut his estimate of security by 50%, tell us that they have no idea we're coming (they do), and that they're poorly armed (they aren't). If your GM is a fairly nice guy, you may not need all the security, if you do need the security like we do, it's probably not even worth it to be contacted by the Johnson because he's just out to screw you anyway.

As has already been said, that makes no sense.

Unless the job was a set up, Johnson wants you to succeeds. Otherwise he has wasted his advance money and probably his opportunity to accomplish his employers objective.

A Johnson who routinely fail to set up successful runs ends up exactly the same as a runner who routinely fails his runs : Dead or poor and unemployed.

The only things a Johnson has a vested interest in lying about are his true employers and perhaps his true motive (but even then if he if isn't explicit about that he runs the risk of having the runner complete their objective in a fashion that is not optimal).

Tell your GM to think about he is doing and what it implies.

QUOTE (djinni)
but he's a Mr. Johnson no one knows who he is...dun dun dunnnnnn.

He's exactly as anomynmous as the runners are. With exactly the same incentive to maintain a good reputation.

Speaking of which, the one thing GM sometime forget about Johnson is to have the Fixer comment on J's reliability when they introduce him to the runners : "He's a new face in town. Paid me a lot of money so that I introduce him to some talen." or "He's set up over 20 runs in the past 18 month just with me and I know he's dealing with a few other fixers. My guys I referred him never had to complain."

Obviously the Fixer knows how much Johnson has done biz with him and probably some colleague. That's pretty important and basic info.

The respected Johnson who is conducting regular and profitable business with the fixer is extremely unlikely to double-cross the runner because he risks his relations with the Fixer and then all the runner this fixer introduced him to. OTOH the new guy could be there just for a one shot sting operation that requires sacrificial lambs and the fact that he's throwing money around instead of laying carefully the groundwork for long term relationship is suspicious.

Obvious, no?

QUOTE (Eleazar)
Charon, you make me laugh. I don't know if you meant to be funny with with your third statement but that was great.

At last, recognition!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:49 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.