IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bioware vs Cyberware?, Can you hack it?
Willthechased
post Dec 15 2006, 02:35 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,070

Is Bioware considered Cyberware? Can it be 'hacked' by say a Technomancer just as easily as anything else? Is this covered in the core book and I just missed it???
Thanks in advance!
-W-
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lovesmasher
post Dec 15 2006, 02:36 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,193

QUOTE (Willthechased)
Is Bioware considered Cyberware? Can it be 'hacked' by say a Technomancer just as easily as anything else? Is this covered in the core book and I just missed it???
Thanks in advance!
-W-

Without machinery you would have to assume that there's nothing to be hacked. Thus another example of why bioware is worth the extra scratch.

+Quote Post
Charon
post Dec 15 2006, 02:41 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

QUOTE (Willthechased)
Is Bioware considered Cyberware? Can it be 'hacked' by say a Technomancer just as easily as anything else?

They didn't specifically state that bioware can't be hacked AFAIK because it's such common sense but nowhere will you find a mention that bioware has wireless functionality.

They never say you can't hack a soy-burger either but you gotta assume you can't, right?

+Quote Post
Mikado
post Dec 15 2006, 02:49 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,286

Can a hacker or technomancer hack a regular, uncybered person? Bioware is made of the same stuff as everything else in a (meta)human body, cells. They have no wireless connection or computer. Well, they have a computer but not in the same sense as one capable of WiFi.

What if... You got a cerebral booster made from cells of a technomancer? No, wait that will not work because a cerebral booster needs to be cloned from your own cells. would work in an Emo Samurai game though. :spin: Just kidding with you Emo.

Would make for an interesting run though and IIRC there was a canned mission for SR3 for something like this.

+Quote Post
Lovesmasher
post Dec 15 2006, 03:08 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,193

QUOTE (Charon)
QUOTE (Willthechased @ Dec 14 2006, 09:35 PM)
Is Bioware considered Cyberware?  Can it be 'hacked' by say a Technomancer just as easily as anything else?

They didn't specifically state that bioware can't be hacked AFAIK because it's such common sense but nowhere will you find a mention that bioware has wireless functionality.

They never say you can't hack a soy-burger either but you gotta assume you can't, right?

Eh, I figure if a hacker really wants to try, let em.

Besides, it's likely that sooner or later someone will develop nanite based flavoring.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Dec 15 2006, 03:12 AM
Post #6

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Willthechased)
Is Bioware considered Cyberware? Can it be 'hacked' by say a Technomancer just as easily as anything else?

Sure. The Technomancer should be able to wield the cleaver, though.

+Quote Post
ixombie
post Dec 15 2006, 04:24 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,481

You can hack bioware!

It's called "Control Actions" :P

t3h h4x0rz!!!1won!

+Quote Post
Kesslan
post Dec 15 2006, 04:51 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,116

Huh? I thought you 'hacked' it with an axe? :lick:

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Dec 15 2006, 05:44 AM
Post #9

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

The axe is a metaphor for a logic-bomb which reduces the target's ability to resist your slave-system metaphor.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Dec 15 2006, 12:49 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

You can not hack bioware.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Dec 15 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #11

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Lovesmasher)
QUOTE (Charon @ Dec 14 2006, 08:41 PM)
QUOTE (Willthechased @ Dec 14 2006, 09:35 PM)
Is Bioware considered Cyberware?  Can it be 'hacked' by say a Technomancer just as easily as anything else?

Eh, I figure if a hacker really wants to try, let em.

Besides, it's likely that sooner or later someone will develop nanite based flavoring.

that will, after you have eaten said burger, relocate to some area of your body and create a small rfid chip that will tell anyone interested what burger you have eaten and so on.

over time your body will be so full of them that your a walking mcsoy billboard, and when scanned could perhaps be used to check the price changes over time (and your preferred kind of burger)...

really nasty stuff...

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 15 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

i dunno... you might be able to 'hack' bioware through the use of psyschotropic IC.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Dec 15 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,934

QUOTE (Jaid)
i dunno... you might be able to 'hack' bioware through the use of psyschotropic IC.

on the thoughts of nanites, they'd have a signal rating of 0 (3m) theoretically you could hack the nanites to express the bioware in a specific fashion. ie not emit adrenaline, or to damage the body like the "cutters" of SR3

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Dec 15 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

What bioware uses nanites?

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 15 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (djinni @ Dec 15 2006, 01:28 PM)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Dec 15 2006, 09:52 AM)

on the thoughts of nanites, they'd have a signal rating of 0 (3m) theoretically you could hack the nanites to express the bioware in a specific fashion. ie not emit adrenaline, or to damage the body like the "cutters" of SR3

is this a misquote? i'm trying to figure out what this has to do with psychotropic IC...

[edit] based on you doing what appears to be the same thing in another thread (quoting me again, oddly enough). i think you're looking at the wrong quote button ;) which isn't a problem, it just leads to your post quite possibly having nothing to do with what you quoted... [/edit]

This post has been edited by Jaid: Dec 15 2006, 08:28 PM

+Quote Post
djinni
post Dec 15 2006, 08:32 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

intended to quote the message above yours.

+Quote Post
Exodus
post Dec 15 2006, 08:35 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 8,981

yeah but at the nano level, do you really think the nanites would have the capability of having the hardware to send/recieve wireless signals? or even have the power to broadcast it a meter? Honestly I only see you being able to manipulate nanites wirelessly if the host has some kind of hive attached to them.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 15 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #18

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Sure. They could act as an antenna array.
I'm not sure exactly how feasible that would be, that depends on the particulars of the construction of the fictitious nanites, but the principle of antenna arrays is sound. Physics allows it. :-)

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Dec 15 2006, 09:32 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

This all assumes nantites are a part of bioware which they are not so the question is moot.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 15 2006, 09:37 PM
Post #20

Well, symbiotes could accurately be described as nanites, although perhaps not the type people are thinking of here.
Also, I would expect that the implantation/integration of many types of bioware involve nanites at some point.
I don't think the discussion is completely useless.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Dec 15 2006, 09:43 PM
Post #21

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Yes, at some point - surgery and extended care.

Afterwards, the nanites have long run out of power...

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Dec 15 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

QUOTE (Mikado)
Can a hacker or technomancer hack a regular, uncybered person? Bioware is made of the same stuff as everything else in a (meta)human body, cells. They have no wireless connection or computer. Well, they have a computer but not in the same sense as one capable of WiFi.

What if... You got a cerebral booster made from cells of a technomancer? No, wait that will not work because a cerebral booster needs to be cloned from your own cells. would work in an Emo Samurai game though. :spin: Just kidding with you Emo.

Would make for an interesting run though and IIRC there was a canned mission for SR3 for something like this.

Are technomancers made of diffrent stuff than you or me?.....

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 15 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #23

@Rotbart: Oh, well I agree with that.

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Dec 15 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Cynic project @ Dec 15 2006, 03:45 PM)
QUOTE (Mikado @ Dec 14 2006, 09:49 PM)

What if... You got a cerebral booster made from cells of a technomancer? No, wait that will not work because a cerebral booster needs to be cloned from your own cells. would work in an Emo Samurai game though.  :spin:  Just kidding with you Emo.

Are technomancers made of diffrent stuff than you or me?.....

Yes they are made from diffrent stuff, otherwise they would be mundane instead of techomancers.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Dec 15 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Afterwards, the nanites have long run out of power...

not out of power since they don't run on the same power normal robots do, but rendered inert from wireless signals or programming and the body passes them like any waste, if you knew the signal to active them though...
if not..the medkit biodoc program would have active nanites, ready for injection.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.