Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sometimes I just don't understand...
sureshot
post Dec 17 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,825

Fanpro. After printing out the Shadowrun Faq I see that there will be no other Shadowrun novels in english. Which imo makes no sense at all. While they will be published in german, that does not help those like myself who do not speak german. I hope things change in the future because that is one of the dumbest things I have seen any gaming company do in a long time.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adam
post Dec 17 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

Neither FanPro LLC nor FanPro GmbH has the _rights_ to publish English-language Shadowrun novels -- WizKids owns Shadowrun and owns those rights, and they haven't decided if they're going to license those rights to someone else after their recent batch of six novels.

+Quote Post
sureshot
post Dec 17 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #3

Target

Thanks for the info. I hope Wizkids does publish more as they sell fairly well at the bookstore that I work at. Maybe fanpro can look into getting the rights themselves. As it's extra cash in their pockets for them.

+Quote Post
Charon
post Dec 17 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

QUOTE (sureshot @ Dec 17 2006, 04:18 PM)
Maybe fanpro can look into getting the rights themselves. As it's extra cash in their pockets for them.

lol.

You don't think much or Fanpro do you?

First you think there is no reason except stupidity why they don't publish SR novel in english and then you assume they haven't already looked into getting the rights.

If Wizkid license the rights and if the licensing price is right compared to what the Fanpro marketing team expected in sale minus what they expect in expenses then they will most likely do it. Companies are kind of predictible that way.

Where they sometime get it wrong and make spectacular mistake is usually in their estimation of the market and real production cost. Then you can laugh at the dumbness of their decisions.

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Dec 17 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,659

QUOTE (Charon)
Maybe fanpro can look into getting the rights themselves. As it's extra cash in their pockets for them.

lol.

You don't think much or Fanpro do you?

First you think there is no reason except stupidity why they don't publish SR novel in english and then you assume they haven't already looked into getting the rights.

If Wizkid license the rights and if the licensing price is right compared to what the Fanpro marketing team expected in sale minus what they expect in expenses then they will most likely do it. Companies are kind of predictible that way.

Where they sometime get it wrong and make spectacular mistake is usually in their estimation of the market and real production cost. Then you can laugh at the dumbness of their decisions.

QFT

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Dec 18 2006, 01:45 AM
Post #6

ghostrider

Member No.: 6,333

Who's "laughing" at Fanpro? Not everyone knows how all the behind the scenes stuff works in the industry. I don't think the OP was posting anything out of malice. ;)

+Quote Post
Adam
post Dec 18 2006, 01:49 AM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (sureshot)
Thanks for the info. I hope Wizkids does publish more as they sell fairly well at the bookstore that I work at. Maybe fanpro can look into getting the rights themselves. As it's extra cash in their pockets for them.

You do know that just because a book is released doesn't mean it automatically makes money for the publisher, right? ;-)

+Quote Post
sureshot
post Dec 18 2006, 02:00 AM
Post #8

Target

QUOTE (eidolon)
Who's "laughing" at Fanpro? Not everyone knows how all the behind the scenes stuff works in the industry. I don't think the OP was posting anything out of malice. ;)

Thank you. I was not laughing at Fanpro. Not knowing what goes on behind the scenes I thought Fanpro had not done anything with the english translation of the books.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Dec 18 2006, 02:03 AM
Post #9

ghostrider

Member No.: 6,333

Speaking of translations, I'd like to see translations of the German (and other) sourcebooks and stuff. Anyone gots the goods on that? *nudge nudge*

+Quote Post
sureshot
post Dec 18 2006, 02:04 AM
Post #10

Target

QUOTE (Adam)

You do know that just because a book is released doesn't mean it automatically makes money for the publisher, right? ;-)

Well at my store a book is a hit if it sells well. Outside of the store it maybe different. Considering that most if not all of the older Shadowrun novels are out of print and hard to get. Shadowrun also has a decent fan following I can say that imho the books would do well. As long as the stories are well written.

+Quote Post
Eleazar
post Dec 18 2006, 04:30 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,130

I think WizKids has a hidden agenda here. They are slowly trying to get every Shadowrun fan to learn German. They first began with the German only source books, and when that wasn't enough, they decided to only print all future Shadowrun novels in German. I'm on to them and I figure all this out faster than you can say, "Bundesrepublik Deutschland" . Next thing you know they will be packaging German language lessons with all future English source books. Man those guys are sneaky.

+Quote Post
Draug
post Dec 18 2006, 05:33 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,259

Donnerwetter! Ze ammie iz onto uz! Iniziate plan Zagor Albert Prussia! Vor zee fazerlandt!

Seriously though, having a limited love of metaplots, and only bad experiences with professional fan-fic (OMG, Forgotten Realms! Good evil-elves! Gandalf the Red!) I don't mind the stuff being in a language I don't understand...

However, if anyone actually wants to speak up for some of the Shadowrun fiction, I'll be willing to listen!

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Dec 18 2006, 09:18 AM
Post #13

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (sureshot)
While they will be published in german, that does not help those like myself who do not speak german.

Don't worry too much - some of those novells are nice to read, but usually, they aren't exactly worth remembering.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Dec 18 2006, 09:34 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

Negative on that. There are some very good ones. (Pesadillas for example is excellent, and from pure writing style the best SR Novell Ive ever red. The Markus Heitz stuff, though not very dystopian, is fun to read, too)

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Dec 18 2006, 09:40 AM
Post #15

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Serbitar)
(Pesadillas for example is excellent, and from pure writing style the best SR Novell Ive ever red.

It's good, but not that good... it is quite rough on the literaric side and sometimes reads more like a game report - even though the story is refreshingly non-generic.
The story itself is a bit problematic, though... it was completly unnecessary for the main twist to be based on non-canon material.

+Quote Post
Draug
post Dec 18 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Except it probably boosted the writer's ego. ;)

I'll add Pesadillas to my list of books to take a look at. Thanks.

+Quote Post
Garrowolf
post Dec 18 2006, 09:12 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,517

I think that it is thier attempt to reduce the number of rules questions we ask them. We will be spending all of our time just trying to translate the new rules we get and we will be thinking that it is OUR translation problems when we don't understand something.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Dec 18 2006, 11:22 PM
Post #18

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (Eleazar)
I think WizKids has a hidden agenda here. They are slowly trying to get every Shadowrun fan to learn German. They first began with the German only source books, and when that wasn't enough, they decided to only print all future Shadowrun novels in German. I'm on to them and I figure all this out faster than you can say, "Bundesrepublik Deutschland" . Next thing you know they will be packaging German language lessons with all future English source books. Man those guys are sneaky.

And then we take over the world! :wobble:

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Dec 18 2006, 11:29 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

But in a subtle, polite and political correct manner, this time.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Dec 18 2006, 11:38 PM
Post #20

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Yeah.... sure.... :D

+Quote Post
Draug
post Dec 18 2006, 11:51 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

And they start this process by Germanifying the nerds? If they want it peaceful, they've already lost...

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Dec 19 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 7,534

QUOTE (Butterblume)
But in a subtle, polite and political correct manner, this time.

hehe

+Quote Post
Onyx
post Dec 19 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 10,025

Mann kann nie wissen!

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Dec 19 2006, 11:22 AM
Post #24

Great, I'm a Dragon...

QUOTE (Jarl)
And they start this process by Germanifying the nerds? If they want it peaceful, they've already lost...

Who said that we started with the nerds? ;)

+Quote Post
Draug
post Dec 19 2006, 04:48 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Oooo. The plot thickens...

What will the United States of America, defenders of the Imperial System (man, that sounds so...evil!) do now!?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:48 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.