Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sometimes I just don't understand...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
sureshot
Fanpro. After printing out the Shadowrun Faq I see that there will be no other Shadowrun novels in english. Which imo makes no sense at all. While they will be published in german, that does not help those like myself who do not speak german. I hope things change in the future because that is one of the dumbest things I have seen any gaming company do in a long time.
Adam
Neither FanPro LLC nor FanPro GmbH has the _rights_ to publish English-language Shadowrun novels -- WizKids owns Shadowrun and owns those rights, and they haven't decided if they're going to license those rights to someone else after their recent batch of six novels.
sureshot
Thanks for the info. I hope Wizkids does publish more as they sell fairly well at the bookstore that I work at. Maybe fanpro can look into getting the rights themselves. As it's extra cash in their pockets for them.
Charon
QUOTE (sureshot @ Dec 17 2006, 04:18 PM)
Maybe fanpro can look into getting the rights themselves. As it's extra cash in their pockets for them.

lol.

You don't think much or Fanpro do you?

First you think there is no reason except stupidity why they don't publish SR novel in english and then you assume they haven't already looked into getting the rights.

If Wizkid license the rights and if the licensing price is right compared to what the Fanpro marketing team expected in sale minus what they expect in expenses then they will most likely do it. Companies are kind of predictible that way.

Where they sometime get it wrong and make spectacular mistake is usually in their estimation of the market and real production cost. Then you can laugh at the dumbness of their decisions.
Lord Ben
QUOTE (Charon)
Maybe fanpro can look into getting the rights themselves. As it's extra cash in their pockets for them.

lol.

You don't think much or Fanpro do you?

First you think there is no reason except stupidity why they don't publish SR novel in english and then you assume they haven't already looked into getting the rights.

If Wizkid license the rights and if the licensing price is right compared to what the Fanpro marketing team expected in sale minus what they expect in expenses then they will most likely do it. Companies are kind of predictible that way.

Where they sometime get it wrong and make spectacular mistake is usually in their estimation of the market and real production cost. Then you can laugh at the dumbness of their decisions.

QFT
eidolon
Who's "laughing" at Fanpro? Not everyone knows how all the behind the scenes stuff works in the industry. I don't think the OP was posting anything out of malice. wink.gif
Adam
QUOTE (sureshot)
Thanks for the info. I hope Wizkids does publish more as they sell fairly well at the bookstore that I work at. Maybe fanpro can look into getting the rights themselves. As it's extra cash in their pockets for them.

You do know that just because a book is released doesn't mean it automatically makes money for the publisher, right? wink.gif
sureshot
QUOTE (eidolon)
Who's "laughing" at Fanpro? Not everyone knows how all the behind the scenes stuff works in the industry. I don't think the OP was posting anything out of malice. wink.gif

Thank you. I was not laughing at Fanpro. Not knowing what goes on behind the scenes I thought Fanpro had not done anything with the english translation of the books.
eidolon
Speaking of translations, I'd like to see translations of the German (and other) sourcebooks and stuff. Anyone gots the goods on that? *nudge nudge*
sureshot
QUOTE (Adam)

You do know that just because a book is released doesn't mean it automatically makes money for the publisher, right? wink.gif

Well at my store a book is a hit if it sells well. Outside of the store it maybe different. Considering that most if not all of the older Shadowrun novels are out of print and hard to get. Shadowrun also has a decent fan following I can say that imho the books would do well. As long as the stories are well written.
Eleazar
I think WizKids has a hidden agenda here. They are slowly trying to get every Shadowrun fan to learn German. They first began with the German only source books, and when that wasn't enough, they decided to only print all future Shadowrun novels in German. I'm on to them and I figure all this out faster than you can say, "Bundesrepublik Deutschland" . Next thing you know they will be packaging German language lessons with all future English source books. Man those guys are sneaky.
Draug
Donnerwetter! Ze ammie iz onto uz! Iniziate plan Zagor Albert Prussia! Vor zee fazerlandt!

Seriously though, having a limited love of metaplots, and only bad experiences with professional fan-fic (OMG, Forgotten Realms! Good evil-elves! Gandalf the Red!) I don't mind the stuff being in a language I don't understand...

However, if anyone actually wants to speak up for some of the Shadowrun fiction, I'll be willing to listen!
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (sureshot)
While they will be published in german, that does not help those like myself who do not speak german.

Don't worry too much - some of those novells are nice to read, but usually, they aren't exactly worth remembering.
Serbitar
Negative on that. There are some very good ones. (Pesadillas for example is excellent, and from pure writing style the best SR Novell Ive ever red. The Markus Heitz stuff, though not very dystopian, is fun to read, too)
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Serbitar)
(Pesadillas for example is excellent, and from pure writing style the best SR Novell Ive ever red.

It's good, but not that good... it is quite rough on the literaric side and sometimes reads more like a game report - even though the story is refreshingly non-generic.
The story itself is a bit problematic, though... it was completly unnecessary for the main twist to be based on non-canon material.
Draug
Except it probably boosted the writer's ego. wink.gif

I'll add Pesadillas to my list of books to take a look at. Thanks.
Garrowolf
I think that it is thier attempt to reduce the number of rules questions we ask them. We will be spending all of our time just trying to translate the new rules we get and we will be thinking that it is OUR translation problems when we don't understand something.
Grinder
QUOTE (Eleazar)
I think WizKids has a hidden agenda here. They are slowly trying to get every Shadowrun fan to learn German. They first began with the German only source books, and when that wasn't enough, they decided to only print all future Shadowrun novels in German. I'm on to them and I figure all this out faster than you can say, "Bundesrepublik Deutschland" . Next thing you know they will be packaging German language lessons with all future English source books. Man those guys are sneaky.

And then we take over the world! wobble.gif
Butterblume
But in a subtle, polite and political correct manner, this time.
Grinder
Yeah.... sure.... biggrin.gif
Draug
And they start this process by Germanifying the nerds? If they want it peaceful, they've already lost...
Serbitar
QUOTE (Butterblume)
But in a subtle, polite and political correct manner, this time.

hehe
Onyx
Mann kann nie wissen!
Grinder
QUOTE (Jarl)
And they start this process by Germanifying the nerds? If they want it peaceful, they've already lost...

Who said that we started with the nerds? wink.gif
Draug
Oooo. The plot thickens...

What will the United States of America, defenders of the Imperial System (man, that sounds so...evil!) do now!?
SL James
Invade Germany.

Shit, we already have the 1st Armored Division sitting in the heart of the country.
FrankTrollman
Cry.

Both Deutschland and Nippon have publically held discussions about whether or not they need American troops in their country anymore. That that can even happen is better proof thanthe Iraq fiasco that the sun is setting on the American empire.

The nations the US conquered and occupied two generations ago are seriously considering sending American troops away - as soon as they actually do you'll know that the American Empire has fallen.

-Frank
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Cry.

Both Deutschland and Nippon have publically held discussions about whether or not they need American troops in their country anymore. That that can even happen is better proof thanthe Iraq fiasco that the sun is setting on the American empire.

The nations the US conquered and occupied two generations ago are seriously considering sending American troops away - as soon as they actually do you'll know that the American Empire has fallen.

-Frank

Fallen? Nah. We'll just let them do what they please.

And the next time some tin-pot dictator gets it into his head to screw with them, "Hey, you're on your own, pal."

Let 'em get the shit conquered out of them by Kim Jong or whomever finally decides to go on the warpath. Then we come back hard and strong as we ever did, and they go "Oh shits... We needed those American barbarians to man the gates! Please come back and help us, American Barbarians! (We like your soldiers' money, too!)
eidolon
Bring it back to Shadowrun related discussion or let it die. Thanks.
Butterblume
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Both Deutschland and Nippon have publically held discussions about whether or not they need American troops in their country anymore.  That that can even happen is better proof thanthe Iraq fiasco that the sun is setting on the American empire.

Must have missed that discussion. Actually, we cry everytime a base is closed, since they bring jobs and money.
I won't dispute that there are same german loonies out there who can't think straight and think pride is better than a roasted goose at christmas.

Oh, while I typed, an admin admonition. How to get back to SR

Military Bases are a good example how exterri..(damn, forget how to write that word) works. Hm, this try was not good enough

Incidentally, shouldn't the Headline for this thread be: Sometimes I just don't understand
Moon-Hawk
Personally, I've never really gotten into the SR novels. So I guess I don't really care what language they're in.
I don't really have much of an opinion, but at least it's SR-related. smile.gif
Wakshaani
Clearly, we just have to publish more Shadowrun novels about the CAS military, to bring it full circle.

Johnny Reb squinted through the glare of the table lamp, leaning in so close to Mr Brackhaus that his breath condensed on the stoic man's dark lenses. "You sure you wanna be askin' us to leave, fella?"

Mr Brackhaus smiled, a cold, dragon-like smile, and replied ... something in German. Curse you, FanPro!
sureshot
oops embarrassed.gif Butterblime is right. It should say "I just don't understand" as the title of the thread.
SL James
QUOTE (Wakshaani)
Mr Brackhaus smiled, a cold, dragon-like smile, and replied ... something in German.

That's just awful.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (SL James @ Dec 20 2006, 01:35 AM)
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Dec 19 2006, 01:03 PM)
Mr Brackhaus smiled, a cold, dragon-like smile, and replied ... something in German.

That's just awful.

Thank you! smile.gif

(edit)
It was that, of "Ich ben ein Berliner."

I think I went with teh better choice.
eidolon
QUOTE (sureshot)
oops embarrassed.gif Butterblime is right. It should say "I just don't understand" as the title of the thread.

Null sheen. Fixed.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Dec 19 2006, 02:03 PM)
Clearly, we just have to publish more Shadowrun novels about the CAS military, to bring it full circle.

Johnny Reb squinted through the glare of the table lamp, leaning in so close to Mr Brackhaus that his breath condensed on the stoic man's dark lenses. "You sure you wanna be askin' us to leave, fella?"

Mr Brackhaus smiled, a cold, dragon-like smile, and replied ... something in German. Curse you, FanPro!

"YEE-HAW!" shouted Luke, the dwarf rigger, as he drove his custom Nightsky across the bridge. "That damn ork will never catch us now, Bo!" His elven companion grinned maniacally as he pulled another Narcojet arrow from a quiver on the seat beside him, and fired back at the patrolling Lone Star cop.

Suddenly, on the road ahead, appeared their worst nemesis. Hogg the Troll, in his pressed white suit, stood dead center in the road, braced for impact.

Wait, you said CAS military. Nevermind.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (lorechaser)
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Dec 19 2006, 02:03 PM)

"YEE-HAW!" shouted Luke, the dwarf rigger, as he drove his custom Nightsky across the bridge. "That damn ork will never catch us now, Bo!" His elven companion grinned maniacally as he pulled another Narcojet arrow from a quiver on the seat beside him, and fired back at the patrolling Lone Star cop.

Suddenly, on the road ahead, appeared their worst nemesis. Hogg the Troll, in his pressed white suit, stood dead center in the road, braced for impact.

Wait, you said CAS military. Nevermind.

Git them Duke boys!!!!
lorechaser
I am so learning German so I can submit this as a proposal for the next novel. Heck, I'm only 3 generations removed from living in Germany, so I think I can pull it off!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012