Reply to this topicStart new topic
> sustaning foci
sunnyside
post Jan 1 2007, 06:38 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,502

This isn't a new issue in SR4 per se however I'm hoping there is an SR4 solution.

The issue is sustaining foci. They're cheap enough to start with a few at character creation and to be bounded after a couple sessions with Karma. At that point the mage can simply keep casting spells through them until they get that armor 3 and increased reflexes 3 etc up and going.

Pretty soon they're more potent than adepts or sammies could ever hope to be. And that's before they start buying higher rating foci.

Just wondering what you think/do about that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Jan 1 2007, 06:57 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

You're limited by number of foci you can bind and number of foci you can have active. You're also a candidate (I would say required) for focus addiction. And you set off a lot of warning bells.

If a mage in astral sees someone walking in the door loaded up with Armor 3, Increased Reflexes 3, and a couple other clearly combat related spells, even if you're just there to shop, I'm assuming magical security will go in to high alert.

All that being said, I'm very much in favor of the grounding spells through Foci and attacking active foci rules coming back....

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Jan 1 2007, 07:05 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

Wards - Especially in the paranoid 2070s, they should be commonplace.

Background Count - Useful for reining in all sorts of magic-use balance issues, not just foci.

Patrolling Spirits/Astral Recon - Only really useful in curtailing focus use until the PC in question initiates and picks up the Extended Masking advanced metamagic, but still something to consider.

+Quote Post
Thane36425
post Jan 1 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,416

Focus addiction could be a real problem, eventually leading to loss of magic.

It is also correct that you stand out on the astral if you have a lot of foci. You could take the Great Masking ability to conceal them, though.

I've usually just had one or two foci, usually sustaining to keep an Enhanced reflexes and maybe one other active. Also, I'd generally only have them active when going on a run or the like rather than having them "on" all the time. A problem in an ambush sure, but better security and less chance of addiction.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jan 1 2007, 07:19 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

The magic attribute limit, while good for keeping things from getting completly out of hand, still lets you get away with quite a bit.

And it's true that the mage either has to waste simple actions activating the things or they have to be less stealthy. That is something. Of course I don't think any of them are illegal, which you can't say for a lot of what the other characters are trying to conceal. Though those weapons would be "dull" in the astral.

However I'm interested in this "focus addiction." Did I just miss that in the BBB or is it in one of the supplements? Is it an effective mechanic?

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Jan 1 2007, 07:40 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

An active focus can be targeted by an astrally projecting magician with a mana based spell.

So if your player won't turn off that Enhanced Reflexes sustaining focus ever, then just destroy it.

Give it an object resistance, couldn't be worse than 4, then any mage who casts a mana bolt with a reasonable force can destroy it from astral.

Key is don't let your characters sit around 24/7 with active foci. Just let them know they will get destroyed, and they will lose the Karma and nuyen investment. Simple as that.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Jan 1 2007, 07:58 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (sunnyside @ Jan 1 2007, 02:19 PM)
However I'm interested in this "focus addiction."  Did I just miss that in the BBB or is it in one of the supplements?  Is it an effective mechanic?

In previous editions, it most definitely was and effective mechanic, because focus addiction was the natural and inevitable consequence of excessive focus use.

The SR4 version presented in Street Magic is framed in the context of a Negative Quality, as a variant of the Addiction Negative Quality in the main book. The BBB does have a section on characters gaining the Addiction Negative Quality in play as opposed to buying it at chargen, and presumably this would also apply to the Focus Addiction variant. However, no guidance is provided for setting the threshold for the Addiction Test, leaving the ball squarely in the GM's court for determining just how addictive focus use is.

While this is in keeping with the developer's stance of letting individual GMs decide how addiction issues should be handled at their table, Focus Addiction is also a game balancing tool, and firm numbers would have been a handy baseline. A lack of hard numbers for the Addiction Test threshold may also prompt magic user players to complain that they're being unfairly singled out by the GM. This may be countered by pointing out that Hacker characters also risk Addiction Tests of an unspecified threshold when using Hot Sim VR, but that's an apples/oranges comparison at best.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jan 1 2007, 08:23 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Demerzel)
An active focus can be targeted by an astrally projecting magician with a mana based spell.

So if your player won't turn off that Enhanced Reflexes sustaining focus ever, then just destroy it.

Give it an object resistance, couldn't be worse than 4, then any mage who casts a mana bolt with a reasonable force can destroy it from astral.

Has anything been printed in regards to destroying the foci or would we just be making it up.

As Paul points out players can get to feeling like they're being screwed over when you go out of the book for the express purpose of destroying their toys. Especially if they think the threshold should be force x2 or something.

I expect this problem would be compounded for any player who remembers the old rules for attacking foci directly.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jan 1 2007, 08:44 PM
Post #9

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

Foci Addiction doesn't bother me. I have one that sustains "Alleviate Addiction" 8)

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Jan 1 2007, 09:49 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,984

Also, with the sustaining focus you can get at chargen, you can only sustain increased reflexes 2 (Remember, the number of extra passes is hits - 1, capped at 4)

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Jan 1 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #11

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (sunnyside @ Jan 1 2007, 09:23 PM)
Has anything been printed in regards to destroying the foci or would we just be making it up.

You can shut them down (i.e. disrupt the spell), but not damage them directly from the astral, I think.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jan 1 2007, 10:24 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Sustaining foci are a trade-off. By getting foci, you are giving up a wider spell selection, higher skills or Attributes, or the bonuses that other foci can give you.

As far as increased reflexes, you can either start with 2 extra IP max (due to thresholds and starting availability limits), or wait until you can afford to buy and bond a higher-rated sustaining focus. The spell increases initiative as well as initiative passes, but does not increase the Reaction Attribute, so it is not as good as the sammie or adept version. Not to mention, it's a relatively high-Drain spell, and it's a pain to have to drop and re-cast it every time you go through a ward (assuming you don't have Masking yet). And it is vulnerable to dispelling. It should be vulnerable to astral combat, too, but there are no rules for it that I have found yet, beyond what happens when you try to take one through an astral barrier.

Armor is not a plausible spell to walk around with all of the time - it GLOWS, people! Even during combat, it is of dubious benefit, offering protection but inviting more attacks from enemies. But walking down the street with it? See how far you get.

So no, while sustaining foci are useful, they far from allow the mage to "overshadow" combat-specialized adepts and street samurai.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Jan 1 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #13

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (Glyph)
...it GLOWS, people!

That's a good point! :rotfl:

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jan 1 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Thanee. At least in the BBB it indicate the things have an astral signature. And hence implies they can be destroyed. However no rules are given, and it's sure to be a touch subject. A player might be OK with a level 3 sustaining focus getting wiped out wit ha threshold of 4 but once they have somethign like a level 6 power focus I think special rules are neccesary.

And if you need special rules for power foci shouldn't you have them for regular. In short you should be able to take them out, but I have no idea how I'd do it.

And yes they'll need to buy something in game to get the full reflex increase. However the level 2 increase is all most everyone else can get during chargen.

And level 3 won't take too long to acheive. And then you can use your old level 3 focus to make yourself invisible all the time or something.

*Edit I guess a bunch of us were typing at the same time. I suppose you have a point in that it glows.

A couple technical questions. On what glyph wrote

Armor spell plus invisibility. What happens.

It mentions what happens with wards in regards to being stuck in an elevator and such. Would things also be disrupted when casually walking through a doorway?

Also I've been assuming when you deactivate the things the spells stay inside. If you have to recast every time you deactive that makes them a lot more of a pain to use. That would balance them a lot actually.

+Quote Post
Thane36425
post Jan 1 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

There were rules for attacking and destroying foci in SR3. I don't have that book handy or I'd look it up. If you wanted to use that mechanic, it should be easy enough to translate it to SR4.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Jan 1 2007, 11:12 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (knasser @ Jan 1 2007, 03:44 PM)
Foci Addiction doesn't bother me. I have one that sustains "Alleviate Addiction" 8)

For those of you who might not realize Knasser's being funny:

"Note that this spell does not work against the effects of Focus Addiction"
Alleviate Addiction spell description, p.169, Street Magic

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Jan 2 2007, 12:06 AM
Post #17

Running Target

You can target an active focus with a mana based combat spells from the astral. I forgot it is not an object resistance, it resists with it's force.

QUOTE (p191)
When activated, foci have an astral form [ . . . ]

QUOTE (p174)
Spells cast on astral objects like mana barriers or active foci are resisted with force.

Basically if you can do physical damage to a focus it's not any different from taking a hammer to it. So since it's astral when activated nothing stops me from dropping a manabolt into it. Even a manaball, however the ball's radius of effect will only include other active astral forms.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jan 2 2007, 12:30 AM
Post #18

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Demerzel)
You can target an active focus with a mana based combat spells from the astral. I forgot it is not an object resistance, it resists with it's force.

That's nice. That means the things are actually really easy to destroy.(assuming they aren't just disrupted)

But does that also mean a power focus is super easy to drop? It would seem to.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 2 2007, 12:45 AM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (sunnyside)
Also I've been assuming when you deactivate the things the spells stay inside. If you have to recast every time you deactive that makes them a lot more of a pain to use. That would balance them a lot actually.

Ah, no. The Spell(s) definitely have to be re-cast every single time that the Focus is activated.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jan 2 2007, 12:55 AM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Keep in mind that enemy spellcasters will not be too likely to use this tactic in combat unless the PC is lit up like a Christmas tree with several foci. Why negate a focus when you can stunball the mage and his buddies?

This would discourage people from keeping sustaining foci active all of the time, though, since it is a potential vulnerability. Otherwise, I would not use it too often or unrealistically, as it can seem like picking on the player. After all, it is messing up items that usually have a significant amount of money and karma/build points invested in them.

It still begs the question of how "wounded" foci are affected. I would probably take a page from SR3 and rule that they regenerate back to full force in a round if not completely destroyed. And you also may or may not choose to allow the affected magician to use counterspelling to protect his/her foci from attack (I would probably allow it).

+Quote Post
Faelan
post Jan 2 2007, 01:21 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,466

Well if Foci are anything like pattern items in Earthdawn, they are pretty tough little items.

What I find interesting is that so many are having a fit over a Mage having a sustaining focus. Seriously you might as well be arguing about making sure technomancers are in tech free areas, and street sams cyberware should just spontaneously cease functioning. If they pay the nuyen and karma, what is the big deal?

+Quote Post
Thane36425
post Jan 2 2007, 02:39 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (sunnyside)
QUOTE (Demerzel @ Jan 1 2007, 07:06 PM)
You can target an active focus with a mana based combat spells from the astral.  I forgot it is not an object resistance, it resists with it's force.

That's nice. That means the things are actually really easy to destroy.(assuming they aren't just disrupted)

But does that also mean a power focus is super easy to drop? It would seem to.

They would probably also benefit from their owner's spell defense as well, such as shielding, if they have it. I haven't seen anything about that in the rules, but it would make sense.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jan 2 2007, 03:03 AM
Post #23

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Faelan)
Well if Foci are anything like pattern items in Earthdawn, they are pretty tough little items.

What I find interesting is that so many are having a fit over a Mage having a sustaining focus. Seriously you might as well be arguing about making sure technomancers are in tech free areas, and street sams cyberware should just spontaneously cease functioning. If they pay the nuyen and karma, what is the big deal?

Well the Earthdawn link has been seriously weakened since FASA went down. It's mostly only present in flavor now, and that's only because they want to keep consistency.

Anyway the reason this thread started was because a mage with a six pack of sustaining foci running would be a beast compared to any other character. And it wouldn't take that many sessions to pull it off. We're talking about flying around invisible with four initiative passes, armor and a few other boosts.

However if the spells get dropped every time they deactivate the things and spirits/mages in the astral can pop the foci like zits if they come across the mage than the foci will probably be relegated to sustaining the odd spell for a mage for short time frames. Which isn't a problem.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Jan 2 2007, 04:33 AM
Post #24

Running Target

QUOTE (sunnyside)
However if the spells get dropped every time they deactivate the things and spirits/mages in the astral can pop the foci like zits if they come across the mage than the foci will probably be relegated to sustaining the odd spell for a mage for short time frames. Which isn't a problem.

I consider this what they are designed for. The only occasion where I would do this to a player is in the case where they are leaving spells active for extended durations to avoid the possibility of drain when they need the spells.

As far as spell defense, I'd say it's just like anything else with spell defense. The mage has to declare it.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Jan 2 2007, 08:24 AM
Post #25

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (sunnyside)
The issue is sustaining foci. They're cheap enough to start with a few at character creation and to be bounded after a couple sessions with Karma. At that point the mage can simply keep casting spells through them until they get that armor 3 and increased reflexes 3 etc up and going.

They are foregoing other assets at chargen, making themselves weaker starting characters than normal. Bonding them first thin is also a choice where they are foregoing other options to increase the characters's power.

Pretty soon they're more potent than adepts or sammies could ever hope to be.  And that's before they start buying higher rating foci.

Just wondering what you think/do about that.

As others pointed out, there are limits in the rules as well as focus addiction. Magician characters will always be more potent, as you put it, when they start getting karma. They have their own drawbacks so learn to live with the apparent injustice.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:36 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.