> The Invae, Where the word come from?
Homme-qui-rigole
post Jan 6 2007, 02:26 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,248

Hi guys!

Where the word Invae come from? I know that's how Harlequin call the Insect spirits, but it's Sperethiel or Latin or what? What's the translation? That's mean insect, litterally, or what? (my second guess is that a derivative of the word Invader, but i'm not sure)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Jan 6 2007, 02:29 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

I would say your interpretation is more or less on the money, until someone writing anything on the language clears it up.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 6 2007, 03:03 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

It actually originally came from Earthdawn, and is assumed to either be Sperethiel or a related language (Precursor Sperethiel, Theran, a loan-word into Throalic or Or'zat/Or'zet).

+Quote Post
Kesslan
post Jan 6 2007, 06:29 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,116

Makes me wonder though.

Just as a little tidbit of info. Robotech (a totally unrelated series) also had sort of incect like (Really.. more slug like) invaders called the Invid.

Invae and Invid makes me wonder if there's actually some real linguisitc connection beyond "Wow that sounds cool for smoethign totally alien!"

+Quote Post
Trigger
post Jan 6 2007, 08:18 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 10,215

Invae as translated from Latin (I took three years in high school and still have a semi-firm grasp and a dictionary) :

to undertake, go in, enter, get in, to attack, usurp, to assail, seize, fall upon

So basically it is a precursor to modern word for invade.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jan 6 2007, 03:36 PM
Post #6

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

Also notice it builds off two words, insect and larvae, which I believe come from English.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:04 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.