IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do adepts suck right now?, Yes, they do.
Serbitar
post Jan 24 2007, 11:55 PM
Post #156

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,534

Some Suggestions:

attribute boost: 0.5 (only one rating) drain equal to hits
great leap: +2 dice per rating, +2 agility for distance
improved physical attribute: 0.5 per level
improved reflexes:1.5 per level
improved sense: 0.1 per sense
kinesics: capped at 9 charisma +kinesics dice (plus race and exceptional boni like normal)
natural immunity: +2 dice per rating
pain resistance: 0.25 per level
rapid healing: +2 dice per rating
spell resistance: 0.25 per rating
analytics: +2 dice per rating
animal empathy: +2 dice per rating
berserk: add immunity to stun damage modifiers
blind fighting: 0.25
cloak: +2 dice per rating
counterstrike: 0.25 per rating
distance strike: 1
facial sculpt: +2 dice per rating
freefall: 4 meter per rating
gliding: 0.5
iron gut: +2 dice per rating
iron lungs: +2 dice per rating
ironw ill: +2 dice per rating
living focus: 0.5
magic sense: 0.25
melanin control 0.25
metabolic controll: 0.25
motion sense: 0.25
multi tasking: 0.25
nimble fingers: +2 dice per rating
piercing senses: +2 dice per rating
rooting: +2 dice per rating
temperature tolerance: +2 dice per rating
traceless walk: 0.5
wallrunning: 2 meters per hit

reasons: most of the 0.25 per rating = +1 dice for a test that will occour 1 or 2 times in a runners lifetime are never taken. a better idea would to not give +2 dice per rating but to reduce costs to 0.125 points

effectively 50%-80% of the used adept powers are senses, improved reflexes, improved skills and traceles walk. most of the other stuff is never used.
Have you ever seen an adept with Iron Will, or Iron Guts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jan 24 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #157

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

QUOTE (Kyrn)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jan 24 2007, 11:42 PM)
Hey! you got your self-righteous sauce in my bemused onlookery!

And...
Don't leave me hanging here man, how was it?

I ain't tasting it! You taste it.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Jan 24 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #158

Running Target

QUOTE (Kyrn @ Jan 25 2007, 12:38 AM)
If the argument is just that anything an adept can do, a sam can do too, then you have to look at the reverse.  Anything a sam can do by purchasing ware, an adept can do better, by purchasing the same ware and supplementing it with magic.  Want a bareknuckle bruiser?  The sam gets bone mods.  The adept gets bone mods, and critical strike.  A quickdrawing pistolero?  The sam gets reflex boosters and a smartlink.  The adept does the same and purchases improved ability pistols.  A sleuth?  The sam decks his eyes and ears out with all the mods he can get.  The adept then does the same but with four or more extra dice from enhanced perception to boost all his perception rolls. 
You may argue that this makes adepts sams, and you're right.  It does.  But you're not really talking about street samurai in your argument anyway, you're talking about mundane characters.  And mundane characters are cheaper to make for a reason; they are not as powerful as magically awakened characters.  A sam in my book can be a mundane with ware, a straight up adept, or a character who gasp blends magic and technology to create a being more powerful than one who utilizes only magic or tech.  I always thought of that as being the point of Shadowrun anyway. 

Wow, I'm extra special ranty today.  With a dollop of self-righteousness sauce on top.

mmm...self-righteousness sauce...

Thats why I want to make the Adept only abilities cheaper so that it actually makes sense to take iron will, or piercing senses, or gliding or rooting. Anybody ever seen an adept with one of those? I havent in 10+ years of playing.

More style for adepts! I want to ahve stylish adepts without sacrificing all my effectiveness.

+Quote Post
Kyrn
post Jan 25 2007, 12:00 AM
Post #159

Moving Target

Member No.: 815

QUOTE (James McMurray)
QUOTE (Kyrn @ Jan 24 2007, 06:50 PM)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jan 24 2007, 11:42 PM)
Hey! you got your self-righteous sauce in my bemused onlookery!

And...
Don't leave me hanging here man, how was it?

I ain't tasting it! You taste it.

Uh...

I'm busy?

Seriously, it can't possibly harm you. It's not like there's even a remote chance the combination of self-righteousness and bemusement will combine to form a neurotoxin the likes of which mankind has never witnessed. Wimp.

+Quote Post
Kyrn
post Jan 25 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #160

Moving Target

QUOTE (Serbitar)

Thats why I want to make the Adept only abilities cheaper so that it actually makes sense to take iron will, or piercing senses, or gliding or rooting. Anybody ever seen an adept with one of those? I havent in 10+ years of playing.

More style for adepts! I want to ahve stylish adepts without sacrificing all my effectiveness.

I like a lot of your choices, they would add some zesty Italian flavor to the rather bland but blisteringly effective German sportscar the adept has become, but some of them would be too powerful.
Off the top of my head, decreasing the cost of counterstrike, multitasking, and improved reflexes is a bad idea worthy of our C in C. Improved reflexes for the obvious reason, and counterstrike because it already puts melee adepts further beyond the curve than they already were. Multitasking is also quite powerful. Ummm...the rest of the powers reduced in cost are rather meh, but you have to be cautious about making it too easy to make an adept who excels in too many fields. Like a face/gunner/techie/ninja. Low cost utilitarian powers when combined with ware can make it fucktastically easy to hit 12 die pools in several fields.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Jan 25 2007, 12:25 AM
Post #161

Running Target

Most of the dice apply only to a very specific test. And I really dont mind an adept that can jump down 20 meters and jump 10 meters wide when about every mage out there can fly.

Concerning Counterstrike: It has to be cheaper than the improved skill in that field because it is more specialized, concerning the Improved Reflexes, just look at synaptic accelerator. And why is multitaksing a balancing problem?

+Quote Post
Protector152
post Jan 25 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #162

Target

Member No.: 9,240

@ Kesslan and Ophis, thanks i didn't know they had changed imp ablity. on the up side you don't need it past lvl 3 anymore so you can spend the 1.5 power points on something else

+Quote Post
Kyrn
post Jan 25 2007, 12:54 AM
Post #163

Moving Target

First, I have no issue with the falling and jumping. 20 and 10 though, he'd better be paying. Anyway, Counterstrike I really don't see as having to be cheaper than Improved Ability (melee skill); it doesn't share the same structure as that power. IA is limited to three, CS is only limited to magic. I see it as a power a character takes after maxing out IA in the melee skill of his choice. Hell, it even applies to all melee tests, not just those in one skill. Thus I find it to be more powerful than IA. Especially so at half price. For Improved Reflexes, I am looking at synaptic accelerator when I say that. Wired is the gold standard here, the synaptic accelerator is way out on the pointy end. For the BPs, it's actually pricier than improved reflexes (as shown by someone at some point in I believe this thread), and dropping IR below wired in cost is just a little...cheap is the word I'd have to use. Wired has been the gold standard for every edition of SR, it's balance for all levels of play is kind of hardwired into the Essence balancing system. Playing with that is dangerous.

Multitasking...well, for .25 you're going to allow 2 free actions a phase outside of combat, which I don't understand at all. When do you use combat phases outside of combat? Anyway, more importantly it makes Observe in Detail a free action. A free action granting +3 dice to perception tests. 3 dice for .25 is too cheap. 3 dice for .5 is already borderline twinky.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Jan 25 2007, 01:46 AM
Post #164

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jan 24 2007, 10:37 PM)
The bottom line to all this is, if you like a certain character concept, go with it.

What, no more "why adepts/sams/blind dogs/ninja drop bears are better/worse then adepts/sams/blind dogs/ninja drop bears"-threads? :eek: :grinbig:

...nobody, not even GDs or IEs can beat Drop Bears... :D

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 25 2007, 02:46 AM
Post #165

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Serbitar)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jan 24 2007, 08:00 PM)
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Jan 24 2007, 10:55 AM)

Congratulations. You have spend a considerable amount of BP and Karma for what anybody can do with a heavy pistol.

But the adept can do it with a paperclip. Smuggling a heavy pistol into a high security area is a lot more difficult that smuggling a paperclip into a high security area. It doesn't even have to be a paperclip. It could be a playing card or a screw. It could be a rolled-up newspaper or a pointy paper cur from the water fountain or his can of soda. He could even pick bullets out of his armor and throw them back at his enemies.

If that is the only reason, use a mage.

You can't counterspell a paperclip, you don't take drain from a paperclip, a paperclip will not have your signature on it and cannot be used by a spirit with Search to track you down no matter where you are, and no one ever died from throwing a paperclip in a manawarp.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jan 25 2007, 02:58 AM
Post #166

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

True, but Daredevil can't dodge your manabolt and make you freak out.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Jan 25 2007, 03:03 AM
Post #167

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

That's Bullseye. :D

He can't fly, or control minds, or blow up a tank if he tries hard enough. Nor can he read minds, create illusions, shape all forms of matter, create walls in midair...

Yeah, adepts need a leg up.

And it's not like .5 PP per stat point is game-breaking; I mean, muscle toner is .3 essence, and suprathyroid glands, which increase all physical stats, is .7 essence.

And .5 PP per improved ability point is WAY too much unless you make it a threshold modifier.

+Quote Post
Roni
post Jan 25 2007, 03:41 AM
Post #168

Target

Member No.: 10,734

@ Serbitar, Xenith

If I knew that my adept was going to cause so many problems, I wouldn't have said anything. But I know that my character is lacking in so many ways. I'm using 150 karma less than you allow starting characters, Serbitar. I used some karma in Artisan, so that our character setup would make a little more sense (we weren't origionally ShadowRunners, we were a band). My character was designed to be weak, yet strong. We were all starting off as 17 year olds who knew little to nothing about the Shadows. For christ's sake, I could make a better adept than I did make; and I could make a better sam than the character I made.

What we're all forgetting is that it all comes down to is how the dice roll, and how much FUN we have.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Jan 25 2007, 03:53 AM
Post #169

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

AWESOME == FUN.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jan 25 2007, 05:09 AM
Post #170

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Here's my current ideas on fixing the balance between adepts, sams, and cyber-adepts. Right now, the cyber adept wins outright because there are some great 'cherries' to pick on either side of the divide. Just looking at combat abilities, the current cherries are synaptic boosters, muscle toner, reaction enhancers, superthyriod gland and on the adept side combat sense, improved ability?, critical strike?, mystic armor?

My impressions is that there are the following: The utility of low essence ware and high magic rating are both low. The utility of high magic and low essence should both be raised to reduce the magic middle.

Objective:
Manipulate the numbers so that the cyber-adept, straight adept, and straight sam are roughly equal at least to the 200 karma, 600K Y range. Given unlimited karma and money, the cyber adept will be the most powerful character, but this should be delayed beyond the range of most campaigns.

Low utility of high magic rating
There is currently not much point to a high magic rating, all the broken adept powers are readily available around magic rating 4.

Proposed solution: Limit most leveled adept powers to 1/2 magic rating. Most 'character' adept power like great leap have effects doubled to reflect lower available ratings.

Increased IPs
Synaptic boosters are probably the worst of the lot, there is basically no character that would not benefit from synaptic -2. First impression solution here: remove them from the game. Change wired reflexes to:

Wired Reflexes rating 1-3
Essence: rating x 1.5
Availability: Rating x 4 F
Cost: rating X 40,000

Reduce adept costs of improved reflexes to 1.5 magic per level.

So, the advantage of the SAM is that he can get his IP increases at lower cost , but has to put up with detection issues. The cyber adept dosen't really gain anything from getting wires. In addition, having additional IP is such a significant advantage that it requires a large share of your 'class points' (essence or magic)

Combat Sense
This is probably the second worst offender.

Add the following ware:

Tactical Computer rating 1-4 (gives combat sense ability)
Essence: rating x .5
Availability: Rating x 5 F
Cost: rating x 25,000

Gives non adepts the ability to get bonus passive defenses.

As the combat sense adept power would be limited to 1/2 magic, this gives a bit more parity between the two. A cyber-adept @ magic 8 could get a lvl 4 tactical computer (lowering magic to 6) and 3 levels of combat sense for +7 passive defense. However, this is only 3 dice over a straight sam or a straight adept, not the 6 dice over the straight sam it was before.

Super Thyroid
Increase essence cost to at least 1. (requires some number crunching/testing, but a sam is probably getting his bioware at half essence b/c of wired reflexes, a cyber-adept might not be)

Muscle Toner
Remover muscle toner, muscle augmentation changed to:

Muscle Augmentation rating 1-4 (adds +STR + 1 AGL per level)
Essence: rating x .5
Availability: Rating x 5 F
Cost: rating x 15,000

Make cyber adepts pay more for increased AGL via cyberware. Hopefully sams will not suffer too much from teh increased essence costs. (requres some number crunching)

Sample characters: (assuming the ~200 karma, 600K Y range)

Assuming Base stats of BOD 3, AGL 3, REA 3, STR 3

Straight Adept
[ Spoiler ]

Ending Stats:
BOD 4, AGL 9, REA 9, STR 7
passive defense 14 dice

straight Sam
[ Spoiler ]

Ending Stats:
BOD 4, AGL 8, REA 9, STR 8
passive defense 12 dice

Sigh, still not quite right. Straight adepts are still comming out too weak and cyber-adepts too strong (seems divide is a bit smaller now, though sams now have less options as well).. how to power them up without also powering up cyber-adepts?

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jan 25 2007, 08:31 AM
Post #171

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jan 24 2007, 10:37 PM)
The bottom line to all this is, if you like a certain character concept, go with it.

What, no more "why adepts/sams/blind dogs/ninja drop bears are better/worse then adepts/sams/blind dogs/ninja drop bears"-threads? :eek: :grinbig:

...nobody, not even GDs or IEs can beat Drop Bears... :D

We know that. ;)

+Quote Post
Xenith
post Jan 25 2007, 10:43 AM
Post #172

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,361

Name: Karl

Lifestyle: Low

Body: 7
Agility: 4
Reaction: 3 (5)
Strength: 7

Charisma: 2
Intuition: 3
Logic: 2
Willpower: 3

Edge: 3
Magic: 5

Initiative: 6(8) (IP 3)

Skills:

Close Combat: 2
-Unarmed Combat: 4
-Blades: 3

Throwing Weapons: 5 (7) Spec. Knifes
Artisan: 3 (5) Spec. Guitar
Intimidate: 2
Perception: 3
Dodge: 2
Infiltration: 2 (4) Spec. Urban

Knowledge Skills:

Gang I.D.: 5(7) Spec. Wichita
Wichita Area: 3
Read/Write (Academic): 3
History (Academic): 3
Literature: 2
Orzet: 3
German: 3

Qualities:

Pos:
Adept
Guts
Human Looking
Resistance to Pathogens

Neg:
Sensitive System
Sensitive Neural Structure

Adept Powers:
Power Throw: 2
Improved Reflexes: 2
Missile Mastery: 1
Strength Boost: 2

Contacts
Agent 4/2

Gear:
Armor Jacket
-Nonconductivity 6
-Insulation 6
-Fire Resistance 6
-Chemical Protection 6

Throwing Knifes (x45)
Frag Grenade (x5)
High Explosive Grenade (x1)
Wood Throwing Knifes (x20) (we house ruled these, they do 1P less damage, but don't show up)

Meta Link/Iris Orb
Sub-Vocal Mic
Earbuds
-Audio Enhancement 3
Contacts
-Thermo Vision
-Vision Enhancement 3
-Flare Comp

-----------------
This is after they had been playing for a while. The story behind the Jacket (I assume) is because his mom is a retired 'runner. He also decided to raise his Magic just last session. And yes, the character is 17 and in a band (the lead singer and guitarist).

+Quote Post
Kil2k
post Jan 25 2007, 11:22 AM
Post #173

Target

Member No.: 10,741

@Xenith
You should take a look at page 213 in the core book.
Your System Rating (Software) is limited by the Response (Hardware) so you need at least a Novatech Airware (Response 3) to run the Iris Orb (System 3) properly.

The Firewall is also affected by the lowered System rating, so if your GM knows that, you had all the time a Firewall 1 running!

There's a reason why the Meta Link is as cheap as it is. But maybe your Character does not know that, but you do ? Then forget it, and back to topic :P

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Jan 25 2007, 12:31 PM
Post #174

Running Target

Damn Xenith this character is really a one trick pony, and not even a good one. After throwing knive he rolls only 8 dice in his seond best test (Infiltration).

A perfect example of what I wanted to say with "adept have to buy style by sacrificing all effectiveness".

Does he ahve anyporpourse besides getting knives somewhere and throwing them?

A SAM with high agility and skillwires surpases this character in every aspect.

+Quote Post
Roni
post Jan 25 2007, 12:41 PM
Post #175

Target

QUOTE (Roni)
If I knew that my adept was going to cause so many problems, I wouldn't have said anything. But I know that my character is lacking in so many ways. I'm using 150 karma less than you allow starting characters, Serbitar. I used some karma in Artisan, so that our character setup would make a little more sense (we weren't origionally ShadowRunners, we were a band). My character was designed to be weak, yet strong. We were all starting off as 17 year olds who knew little to nothing about the Shadows. For christ's sake, I could make a better adept than I did make; and I could make a better sam than the character I made.

What we're all forgetting is that it all comes down to is how the dice roll, and how much FUN we have.

Why am I quoting myself you ask? Because I don't think Serbitar read my post.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Jan 25 2007, 01:03 PM
Post #176

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

If you want to nerf teh Cyber-Adept and bring things under one roof, you can always use Wakshaani's Magic Cap.

Wakshaani's Magic Cap works like this:

Magic is an attribute, just like Charisma or Agility, with a natural limit of 6 (5 for Trolls, 2/7 for Elves) and a hard limit of 9 (7 for Trolls, 10 for Elves) and has a "Magical Prodigy" Quality for 20 BP that raises the natural limit by 1 (And the hard limit re-adjusts from there.)

When you take cyberware, it doesn't effect your *current* Magic, it effects your natural limit... thus, if you had 2 essence of Cyberware, your natural limit would be reduced to 4, with a hard cap of 6. You sacrifice long-term growth for short-term gain. Magicians with some cyberware aren't that bad off ... most will never reach their hard cap or Initiate all that deeply, but, as the 'ware piles up, the Magician finds himself stunted, his potential squandered, and the other mages look at him with pity.

This lil' tweak fixes a LOT of stuff.

First, it brings magic in line with everything else, capping it around 9, like everything else.

Second, it allows magicians to take some cyberware at chargen without having 10+ BP kicked in the head.

Third, it stunts the halfway house that is a Cyber-Adept, letting pure cybertypes and pure Adepts both pass them in their selected areas.

Heck, it even explains why you might learn a new Metamagic without gettnig another level of Initiation ... you might have hit your Initiation limit and just can't go further.

Give it a whirl, you might be surprised.

-- Wak

+Quote Post
Roni
post Jan 25 2007, 01:22 PM
Post #177

Target

So now we can get 6 magic points AND 2 essence of cyberware? All that does is make the out-of-the-box cyberadept own even more...anything else is only better after the karma starts building up.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Jan 25 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #178

Running Target

QUOTE (roni)

QUOTE (Roni @ Jan 24 2007, 10:41 PM)
If I knew that my adept was going to cause so many problems, I wouldn't have said anything.  But I know that my character is lacking in so many ways.  I'm using 150 karma less than you allow starting characters, Serbitar.  I used some karma in Artisan, so that our character setup would make a little more sense (we weren't origionally ShadowRunners, we were a band).  My character was designed to be weak, yet strong.  We were all starting off as 17 year olds who knew little to nothing about the Shadows.  For christ's sake, I could make a better adept than I did make; and I could make a better sam than the character I made.

Why am I quoting myself you ask? Because I don't think Serbitar read my post.

to complain about rules lawyerism in a rules and balancing thread is a little bit inappropriate. It is intrinsically assumed that anybody taking part in a discussion about rules has an interest in good rules.

+Quote Post
Serbitar
post Jan 25 2007, 01:36 PM
Post #179

Running Target

QUOTE (Wakshaani)
If you want to nerf teh Cyber-Adept and bring things under one roof, you can always use Wakshaani's Magic Cap.

Wakshaani's Magic Cap works like this:

Magic is an attribute, just like Charisma or Agility, with a natural limit of 6 (5 for Trolls, 2/7 for Elves) and a hard limit of 9 (7 for Trolls, 10 for Elves) and has a "Magical Prodigy" Quality for 20 BP that raises the natural limit by 1 (And the hard limit re-adjusts from there.)

When you take cyberware, it doesn't effect your *current* Magic, it effects your natural limit... thus, if you had 2 essence of Cyberware, your natural limit would be reduced to 4, with a hard cap of 6. You sacrifice long-term growth for short-term gain. Magicians with some cyberware aren't that bad off ... most will never reach their hard cap or Initiate all that deeply, but, as the 'ware piles up, the Magician finds himself stunted, his potential squandered, and the other mages look at him with pity.

This lil' tweak fixes a LOT of stuff.

First, it brings magic in line with everything else, capping it around 9, like everything else.

Second, it allows magicians to take some cyberware at chargen without having 10+ BP kicked in the head.

Third, it stunts the halfway house that is a Cyber-Adept, letting pure cybertypes and pure Adepts both pass them in their selected areas.

Heck, it even explains why you might learn a new Metamagic without gettnig another level of Initiation ... you might have hit your Initiation limit and just can't go further.

Give it a whirl, you might be surprised.

-- Wak

This promotes fully cybered SAMs with magic 1-3. Not a very good idea.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jan 25 2007, 02:37 PM
Post #180

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
djinni called the gaming police on me! They r in my game, killin my fun! Im playing sr wrong! O NOES!!!1

I approved the flaw, much fun was had by all, can we move on?

Okay, I'm obviously cranky. It's time to go home now.

Man, what flew up my ass yesterday!?

Thanks for pointing that out, djinni. What I should have said was, "I allow the incompetance flaw for characters who are unable or unwilling to perform a skill because of some inherent natural incompetance, as well as philosophical and/or phobic reasons. If there is any reason why they can not or will not be able to meaningfully attempt to use the skill, then I allow the flaw. But I realize that that is an interpretation at best, and a house-rule at worst."

p.s. I'm sorry I was an asshat yesterday.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:33 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.