IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Heroes teaches you SR [spoiler warning], It's not just for capes!
lorechaser
post Jan 23 2007, 02:58 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,168

Hiro is a mystic adept who suffered a crisis of faith, and has now geased himself to need an object to use his powers.

The new girl at the beginning is 150% a Technomancer. To the point that I saw that and thought "Oh. That's what they're like."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 23 2007, 03:06 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i hate you! i hate you! shut up! i hate you!

(it's not available for, uh, wholly-legal digital acquisition yet.)

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Jan 23 2007, 03:18 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,659

All the episodes are on NBC.com after they're done anyhow even if the one you found is "wholly legal".

But I have it TIVOing as we speak...

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jan 23 2007, 03:37 AM
Post #4

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (lorechaser)
The new girl at the beginning is 150% a Technomancer. To the point that I saw that and thought "Oh. That's what they're like."

As opposed to Ali Larter's kid?

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Jan 23 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Yup.

Even more so.

The kid is a hacker adept. It's an explanation for how magic gives you better hacking skills - you just point and things, and they start to work.

The new girl, on the other hand, can broadcast IMs to a wireless computer that isn't on any networks. She even mentions how there are signals all over, and she can tap in to them.

The scene where she's introduced, the guy gets an IM. And looks at his computer really puzzled, and checks his connection, which says "No Wireless Network available."

And then another IM comes in. After a bit, she reveals herself, and he says "You can broadcast to my computer?!" And an IM comes up that says "Yes, I can."

So yeah, TM.

Check the episode out if you haven't seen it:

http://www.nbc.com/Video/rewind/full_episo...es/heroes.shtml

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Jan 23 2007, 09:46 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,984

Shut up indeed, I haven't had a chance to watch Heroes ep 12 yet.

Heck technically Heroes hasn't started on Australian TV at all yet.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jan 23 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #7

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Added [spoiler warning] to thread title for those that aren't caught up with the show. ;)

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Jan 23 2007, 10:20 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

QUOTE (eidolon)
Added [spoiler warning] to thread title for those that aren't caught up with the show. ;)

Too late, but thank you nonetheless ;).

A hero named Hiro, that means either pretty awesome stuff or overhyped junk, once again. Since people I can trust have commented favourably on the show, I'm looking forward to DVD release (assuming they don't go wacko with the prize).

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 23 2007, 10:27 PM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Ranneko)
Heck technically Heroes hasn't started on Australian TV at all yet.

Yep. Not until next week. :(

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 23 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

be glad. those of us who started watching back when it came out in the US had to endure a month-long hiatus over the holidays. i started injecting heroin into my eyes to take the edge off.

+Quote Post
cetiah
post Jan 23 2007, 10:45 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,510

Hmmm... drugs for Edge... interesting...

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jan 23 2007, 11:04 PM
Post #12

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (Butterblume)
A hero named Hiro, that means either pretty awesome stuff or overhyped junk, once again.

Heh, try "borrowed" stuff/junk. Snow Crash's main character is one Hiro Protagonist.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Jan 23 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #13

Running Target

QUOTE (Butterblume)
QUOTE (eidolon)

Too late, but thank you nonetheless ;).

A hero named Hiro, that means either pretty awesome stuff or overhyped junk, once again. Since people I can trust have commented favourably on the show, I'm looking forward to DVD release (assuming they don't go wacko with the prize).

It's awesome. Because Hiro is awesome.

He was apparently named for Hiroshima, according to the graphic novels.

+Quote Post
cristomeyers
post Jan 23 2007, 11:14 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,642

Hiro's the only reason I watch the show. Everything else I can take or leave, but Hiro and his sidekick are priceless.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Jan 23 2007, 11:24 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

I am so absolutely not into comics that I don't have any clue about anything comic-related :P. Maybe apart from Asterix :D.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 23 2007, 11:26 PM
Post #16

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Heroes is the best live action superhero television series ever (which isn't a difficult feat to accomplish at all) but it is as slow as molasses in January. A show about growing grass would move more quickly. Of course, this is because they actually take the time to give all of the large ensemble cast the attention that they are due, so it is hard to complain.

Nikki seems to be a conjurer of a possession tradition who is only able to summon her dead sister for some reason.
Ted guy is obviously a Toxic physad with Elemental Strike (radiation)
The Haitian (aka Mysterious Black Guy) is a magician with Alter Memory and a huge counterspelling pool.
Claire is either a Hidden Life receptacle or a shapeshifter trapped in human form.
Matt knows Mind Probe.
Eden was either a magician with Control Actions or an Adept with Commanding Voice (probably the latter).
HRG bennent is just a mundane spook, but a scary spook.
Sylar is a mystic adept with a variant of Cannibalism. Mmm...brains....

Unfortunately, there is no power that lets you automatically mimic the abilities of others.

+Quote Post
cetiah
post Jan 23 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,510

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Heroes is the best live action superhero television series ever (which isn't a difficult feat to accomplish at all) but it is as slow as molasses in January. A show about growing grass would move more quickly. Of course, this is because they actually take the time to give all of the large ensemble cast the attention that they are due, so it is hard to complain.

Nikki seems to be a conjurer of a possession tradition who is only able to summon her dead sister for some reason.
Ted guy is obviously a Toxic physad with Elemental Strike (radiation)
The Haitian (aka Mysterious Black Guy) is a magician with Alter Memory and a huge counterspelling pool.
Claire is either a Hidden Life receptacle or a shapeshifter trapped in human form.
Matt knows Mind Probe.
Eden was either a magician with Control Actions or an Adept with Commanding Voice (probably the latter).
HRG bennent is just a mundane spook, but a scary spook.
Sylar is a mystic adept with a variant of Cannibalism. Mmm...brains....

Unfortunately, there is no power that lets you automatically mimic the abilities of others.

And these are heroes?!?
They don't sound like it.

And what the hell is a shapeshifter stuck in human form? Is that really a shapeshifter? If a tree falls in the forest...

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 23 2007, 11:36 PM
Post #18

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (cetiah @ Jan 23 2007, 06:32 PM)
And what the hell is a shapeshifter stuck in human form?  Is that really a shapeshifter?

Well, there isn't really any other way to permanently gain regeneration in SR (short of becoming a vampire).

And Hiro is awsome.

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Jan 23 2007, 11:43 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

I must have missed the wireless girl, when was she on?

+Quote Post
cristomeyers
post Jan 23 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,642

Must've been the very beginning, cause I missed it too.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 23 2007, 11:48 PM
Post #21

Midnight Toker

There was a "preview" of her during Deal or No Deal and a webcomic detailing her origin on the NBC.com website. I don't believe that she has appeared in the series, yet.

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Jan 24 2007, 12:05 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Yeah, I've seen the webcomic. I just thought maybe I missed part of the show.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jan 24 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Ah, that makes sense. I know I was glued to the TV the whole time but I was about to watch it again from the link above just to see where she was.

And yes, the show is awesome. And yes, a lot of that is because of Hiro.

And these are heroes?!?
They don't sound like it.

That post was a pretty good at giving their SR counterparts, but not so much the characters as they are on the show. On the actual show:

Nikki: Multiple personalities. inda like the hulk but not as strong, and instead of going green she gets a different (and much less moral) personality. The personality is that of her dead sister and was apparently created to protect her from childhood sexual abuse. The show doesn't go into that a lot though, just in the "origins" episode.

Ted: oozes radiation. His presence killed his wife with cancer. The last we saw him he was in an abandonded house in the desert practicing controlling the radiation to make little bombs in his hands.

The Haitian (aka Mysterious Black Guy): He can negate others' powers, or at least protect people from the powers of others. He can also wipe memories. He works for HRG (Horned Rim Glasses, aka Mr. Bennet).

Claire: Regeneration out the wazoo. She's come back from clinically dead, although they had to remove the tree branch from her head first.

Matt: ESP

Eden: She could tell you to do something and you'd have to do it. She's dead now.

HRG bennent is just a mundane spook, but a scary spook. He chases and monitors people with powers.

Sylar: Has telekinesis, flight, and a host of other powers. He kills people, studies their brain, and then "fixes" himself to give himself their powers.

Peter: mimics powers of anyone near him.

Nathan: Flight at supersonic speeds.

???: Invisibility. Just introduced last episode and played by David Eccleston (a.k.a the Ninth Doctor).

Wireless Girl: no idea, never seen her.

D.L.: Phasing through stuff.

The kid: Fixes electronic stuff by touching it.

Isaac: Can paint the future. He paints a comic book that tells a lot of the story, and also paints larger paintings.

They probably don't sound like Heroes because they aren't, opr at least not all of them are. Not yet anyway. The whole season is building up to preventing a nuclear blast in New York, which may or may not be Peter's mimic power going haywire.

No, I didn't forget Hiro. I saved the best for last: :)

Hiro Nakamura: Can stop or slow time. He can also teleport. His powers seems to be fairly errattic. Kinda like Spiderman 2 in a way. He went back in time and failed to save a girl and lost his confidence and drive. He is convinced that if he finds a specific sword that belonged to one of his ancestors he'll be able to focus and fully control his powers.

+Quote Post
Lord Ben
post Jan 24 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

I think Linderman will eventually be more than just a mobster. Everyone seems to have connections to either Mr Bennet or Linderman, but as far as I can remember nobody has connections to both except the painter who was taken by Bennet and has sold paintings to Linderman.

Hiro now has the connection via the sword.

+Quote Post
bclements
post Jan 24 2007, 01:12 AM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,021

Nathen has connections to Linderman (mainly, Linderman is financing his campaign). That's part of the reason he was in Vegas last season.

EDIT: And HRG tried to kidnap him. The Hatian's powers didn't seem to work that time.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.