Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heroes teaches you SR [spoiler warning]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2
lorechaser
Hiro is a mystic adept who suffered a crisis of faith, and has now geased himself to need an object to use his powers.

The new girl at the beginning is 150% a Technomancer. To the point that I saw that and thought "Oh. That's what they're like."
mfb
i hate you! i hate you! shut up! i hate you!

(it's not available for, uh, wholly-legal digital acquisition yet.)
Lord Ben
All the episodes are on NBC.com after they're done anyhow even if the one you found is "wholly legal".

But I have it TIVOing as we speak...
SL James
QUOTE (lorechaser)
The new girl at the beginning is 150% a Technomancer. To the point that I saw that and thought "Oh. That's what they're like."

As opposed to Ali Larter's kid?
lorechaser
Yup.

Even more so.

The kid is a hacker adept. It's an explanation for how magic gives you better hacking skills - you just point and things, and they start to work.

The new girl, on the other hand, can broadcast IMs to a wireless computer that isn't on any networks. She even mentions how there are signals all over, and she can tap in to them.

The scene where she's introduced, the guy gets an IM. And looks at his computer really puzzled, and checks his connection, which says "No Wireless Network available."

And then another IM comes in. After a bit, she reveals herself, and he says "You can broadcast to my computer?!" And an IM comes up that says "Yes, I can."

So yeah, TM.

Check the episode out if you haven't seen it:

http://www.nbc.com/Video/rewind/full_episo...es/heroes.shtml
Ranneko
Shut up indeed, I haven't had a chance to watch Heroes ep 12 yet.

Heck technically Heroes hasn't started on Australian TV at all yet.
eidolon
Added [spoiler warning] to thread title for those that aren't caught up with the show. wink.gif
Butterblume
QUOTE (eidolon)
Added [spoiler warning] to thread title for those that aren't caught up with the show. wink.gif

Too late, but thank you nonetheless wink.gif.

A hero named Hiro, that means either pretty awesome stuff or overhyped junk, once again. Since people I can trust have commented favourably on the show, I'm looking forward to DVD release (assuming they don't go wacko with the prize).
Fortune
QUOTE (Ranneko)
Heck technically Heroes hasn't started on Australian TV at all yet.

Yep. Not until next week. frown.gif
mfb
be glad. those of us who started watching back when it came out in the US had to endure a month-long hiatus over the holidays. i started injecting heroin into my eyes to take the edge off.
cetiah
Hmmm... drugs for Edge... interesting...
eidolon
QUOTE (Butterblume)
A hero named Hiro, that means either pretty awesome stuff or overhyped junk, once again.

Heh, try "borrowed" stuff/junk. Snow Crash's main character is one Hiro Protagonist.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Butterblume)
QUOTE (eidolon)

Too late, but thank you nonetheless wink.gif.

A hero named Hiro, that means either pretty awesome stuff or overhyped junk, once again. Since people I can trust have commented favourably on the show, I'm looking forward to DVD release (assuming they don't go wacko with the prize).

It's awesome. Because Hiro is awesome.

He was apparently named for Hiroshima, according to the graphic novels.
cristomeyers
Hiro's the only reason I watch the show. Everything else I can take or leave, but Hiro and his sidekick are priceless.
Butterblume
I am so absolutely not into comics that I don't have any clue about anything comic-related nyahnyah.gif. Maybe apart from Asterix biggrin.gif.
hyzmarca
Heroes is the best live action superhero television series ever (which isn't a difficult feat to accomplish at all) but it is as slow as molasses in January. A show about growing grass would move more quickly. Of course, this is because they actually take the time to give all of the large ensemble cast the attention that they are due, so it is hard to complain.

Nikki seems to be a conjurer of a possession tradition who is only able to summon her dead sister for some reason.
Ted guy is obviously a Toxic physad with Elemental Strike (radiation)
The Haitian (aka Mysterious Black Guy) is a magician with Alter Memory and a huge counterspelling pool.
Claire is either a Hidden Life receptacle or a shapeshifter trapped in human form.
Matt knows Mind Probe.
Eden was either a magician with Control Actions or an Adept with Commanding Voice (probably the latter).
HRG bennent is just a mundane spook, but a scary spook.
Sylar is a mystic adept with a variant of Cannibalism. Mmm...brains....

Unfortunately, there is no power that lets you automatically mimic the abilities of others.
cetiah
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Heroes is the best live action superhero television series ever (which isn't a difficult feat to accomplish at all) but it is as slow as molasses in January. A show about growing grass would move more quickly. Of course, this is because they actually take the time to give all of the large ensemble cast the attention that they are due, so it is hard to complain.

Nikki seems to be a conjurer of a possession tradition who is only able to summon her dead sister for some reason.
Ted guy is obviously a Toxic physad with Elemental Strike (radiation)
The Haitian (aka Mysterious Black Guy) is a magician with Alter Memory and a huge counterspelling pool.
Claire is either a Hidden Life receptacle or a shapeshifter trapped in human form.
Matt knows Mind Probe.
Eden was either a magician with Control Actions or an Adept with Commanding Voice (probably the latter).
HRG bennent is just a mundane spook, but a scary spook.
Sylar is a mystic adept with a variant of Cannibalism. Mmm...brains....

Unfortunately, there is no power that lets you automatically mimic the abilities of others.

And these are heroes?!?
They don't sound like it.

And what the hell is a shapeshifter stuck in human form? Is that really a shapeshifter? If a tree falls in the forest...
hyzmarca
QUOTE (cetiah @ Jan 23 2007, 06:32 PM)
And what the hell is a shapeshifter stuck in human form?  Is that really a shapeshifter?

Well, there isn't really any other way to permanently gain regeneration in SR (short of becoming a vampire).

And Hiro is awsome.
Lord Ben
I must have missed the wireless girl, when was she on?
cristomeyers
Must've been the very beginning, cause I missed it too.
hyzmarca
There was a "preview" of her during Deal or No Deal and a webcomic detailing her origin on the NBC.com website. I don't believe that she has appeared in the series, yet.
Lord Ben
Yeah, I've seen the webcomic. I just thought maybe I missed part of the show.
James McMurray
Ah, that makes sense. I know I was glued to the TV the whole time but I was about to watch it again from the link above just to see where she was.

And yes, the show is awesome. And yes, a lot of that is because of Hiro.

And these are heroes?!?
They don't sound like it.

That post was a pretty good at giving their SR counterparts, but not so much the characters as they are on the show. On the actual show:

Nikki: Multiple personalities. inda like the hulk but not as strong, and instead of going green she gets a different (and much less moral) personality. The personality is that of her dead sister and was apparently created to protect her from childhood sexual abuse. The show doesn't go into that a lot though, just in the "origins" episode.

Ted: oozes radiation. His presence killed his wife with cancer. The last we saw him he was in an abandonded house in the desert practicing controlling the radiation to make little bombs in his hands.

The Haitian (aka Mysterious Black Guy): He can negate others' powers, or at least protect people from the powers of others. He can also wipe memories. He works for HRG (Horned Rim Glasses, aka Mr. Bennet).

Claire: Regeneration out the wazoo. She's come back from clinically dead, although they had to remove the tree branch from her head first.

Matt: ESP

Eden: She could tell you to do something and you'd have to do it. She's dead now.

HRG bennent is just a mundane spook, but a scary spook. He chases and monitors people with powers.

Sylar: Has telekinesis, flight, and a host of other powers. He kills people, studies their brain, and then "fixes" himself to give himself their powers.

Peter: mimics powers of anyone near him.

Nathan: Flight at supersonic speeds.

???: Invisibility. Just introduced last episode and played by David Eccleston (a.k.a the Ninth Doctor).

Wireless Girl: no idea, never seen her.

D.L.: Phasing through stuff.

The kid: Fixes electronic stuff by touching it.

Isaac: Can paint the future. He paints a comic book that tells a lot of the story, and also paints larger paintings.

They probably don't sound like Heroes because they aren't, opr at least not all of them are. Not yet anyway. The whole season is building up to preventing a nuclear blast in New York, which may or may not be Peter's mimic power going haywire.

No, I didn't forget Hiro. I saved the best for last: smile.gif

Hiro Nakamura: Can stop or slow time. He can also teleport. His powers seems to be fairly errattic. Kinda like Spiderman 2 in a way. He went back in time and failed to save a girl and lost his confidence and drive. He is convinced that if he finds a specific sword that belonged to one of his ancestors he'll be able to focus and fully control his powers.
Lord Ben
I think Linderman will eventually be more than just a mobster. Everyone seems to have connections to either Mr Bennet or Linderman, but as far as I can remember nobody has connections to both except the painter who was taken by Bennet and has sold paintings to Linderman.

Hiro now has the connection via the sword.
bclements
Nathen has connections to Linderman (mainly, Linderman is financing his campaign). That's part of the reason he was in Vegas last season.

EDIT: And HRG tried to kidnap him. The Hatian's powers didn't seem to work that time.
hyzmarca
The Haitian seems to be able to block mental powers but not physical powers or powers that are directed outward but not powers that effect the individual, one or the other.
mfb
has the Haitian blocked anyone besides Matt? maybe the Haitian is just making Matt forget what he read in HRG's mind as soon as he reads it--Matt can read HRG just fine, he just immediately forgets what he read.

the effect on Syler in HRG's base seemed to be something else. it blocked all of Syler's powers... until Syler figured out how it worked, and made himself able to get around it. the effect was still in place while the Haitian was gone, which is what leads me to believe the Haitian might not be able to block powers at all.
emo samurai
I think Sylar got stronger because of the presence of Eden; maybe the mutants get more powerful around other mutants. I mean, when Matt was around Ted, he was reading his dying wife's thoughts pretty much continuously despite her comatose state, and after he was released from custody, he had insane amounts of readings, probably because of the constant presence of the Haitian during his incarceration.

And how the hell does Sylar take powers? I think it's an ability each of the mutants has; they're always talking about natural selection in the intros, and a Highlander-type system would totally fit with that. I mean, if it was only an issue of studying their brains, he could do it easily without cutting open their skulls.

And what about Matt's reading? Why did that come about?

Jesus christ, we all love Heroes. That's, like, the only thing we can agree on. And possibly the awesomeness of beautiful women kissing.

And did we see Nikki, not Jessica, show super-strength when breaking the baton? I think so. She looked more resolute than pissed-off or smug when doing it. It's only when she lets go of her feelings that she has super-strength, I think.

And I'd love to have Ted's powers if I could control them, which I probably could, because I'm awesome.
Lord Ben
Yeah, the Haitan can protect against powers, but not just simply shut them down I think.

For instance in the bar Matt could read other people, just not the one guy. So it's not that his powers are shut off, just that the one guy couldn't get affected.

Heroes seems too well written to be coincidence on most things. Linderman financing the election of the one guy, buying paintings of another, being involved in Nikki/DL's money situation, and having the sword that Hiro is looking for is simply too much coincidence for a well-written show.

He'll be a mastermind of some sort.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (mfb)
has the Haitian blocked anyone besides Matt? maybe the Haitian is just making Matt forget what he read in HRG's mind as soon as he reads it--Matt can read HRG just fine, he just immediately forgets what he read.

the effect on Syler in HRG's base seemed to be something else. it blocked all of Syler's powers... until Syler figured out how it worked, and made himself able to get around it. the effect was still in place while the Haitian was gone, which is what leads me to believe the Haitian might not be able to block powers at all.

The Haitian blocked Eden, as well. In Six Months Ago he was the one who captured her and he was able to do so because he could block her powers.
emo samurai
Why would Linderman want Peter to win the election?

I think he knows about the coming of the powers and wants to bring them out in the heroes. That's why he puts Nikki and DL in those situations; DL had to develop his powers to escape from prison, and Jessica is brought out in times of stress.

And I think he had the SUV attack Peter's car in order to force him to learn to fly; note that there were easier ways of killing him in that situation.

And that's why he gave the sword to Hiro; because it would help his powers develop.

Now how would Linderman know about the mutations? That's a complete mystery.
Lord Ben
They also said Sylar has been given enough drugs to kill him, but then you see him looking at a cockroach which can survive a lot. Is he learning from it and adapting? I found it interesting.
mfb
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (mfb @ Jan 23 2007, 09:57 PM)

The Haitian blocked Eden, as well. In Six Months Ago he was the one who captured her and he was able to do so because he could block her powers.

ah, right. forgot.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
They also said Sylar has been given enough drugs to kill him, but then you see him looking at a cockroach which can survive a lot. Is he learning from it and adapting? I found it interesting.

Indeed. THe producers came out and said that they are putting a lot of stuff like that in.

Apparently the positions of the heroes in the dream sequence hinted at metaplots too.

I think overall the show gives a really good feel for what a magically active game would be like (to tie it back to SR). Granted, none of them are full on mages, but it's a pretty good look at adepts and lower power mages. I think the spell knack was a start at creating things like this, but didn't go far enough.

How would you price a quality that granted you access to a single ability, but at more than magic 1? It would have to be scaled based on the ability/spell, I think.
bclements
QUOTE (emo samarui)
Why would Linderman want Peter to win the election?

He wants Nathen to win the election, or at least win and owe him money/favors/have blackmail material on him. Nikki/Jessica helped with that, but definatly not willingly. Of course, if you're a real conspiracy theorist, you could say that the whole reason Nathen was in Vegas was to have HRG tag and release him, with Linderman's tacit consent.

IIRC, Linderman does have some connections to HRG and the OWI; didn't HRG get one of Issac's paintings from Linderman? The one that Nathen couldn't/didn't want to get?
emo samurai
The point is, everything that Linderman has done concerning the heroes has only helped awaken their powers. And I think he's doing it deliberately.
Ranneko
An interesting theory I have heard put forward on the 9th (a heroes podcast) was that HRG might have the ability to block powers, and the Haitian is just a guy who has the psychic amnesia powers.

Still, I finally got to watch episode 12 after I got back from the central coast last night, well worth the wait.
James McMurray
I've wondered that, but if its true they go pretty far to hide it. Didn't Bennet get his mind read once when the Haitian wasn't around?

I'd actually be a little disappointed if it were true. I like the idea that Bennet doesn't need powers because he knows how to manage people, manage resources, and plan.
Butterblume
QUOTE (James McMurray)
???: Invisibility. Just introduced last episode and played by David Eccleston (a.k.a the Ninth Doctor).

I have stopped reading this thread after the post just I quoted from. My advanced brainpower will let me forget everything else in a few days, I'm sure.

Just wanted to add, I loved Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. Shame he only was on for one season. Not that David Tennant is a bad Doctor (I like him, too), but I would have liked to see more Eccleston Doctor Godness wink.gif.

That said, I'm looking forward to Heroes cool.gif.
James McMurray
Oops. It's definitely Christopher Eccleston, although he's hard to recognize (at least for me, an American). He's gone all bushy in the face.
emo samurai
He kicked ass as the Doctor... :.(....
James McMurray
What's that supposed to be? Julia Roberts drooling?

But yeah, Eccleston was cool. At first I didn't like Tennant, but he kinda grew on me.
emo samurai
That's me crying, insensitive asshat. :.(....
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Butterblume)
Just wanted to add, I loved Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. Shame he only was on for one season. Not that David Tennant is a bad Doctor (I like him, too), but I would have liked to see more Eccleston Doctor Godness wink.gif.

The reason why Eccleston left Doctor Who can be found here.
fistandantilus4.0
Since this thread is of interest, but has nothing to do w/ sr at this point, it has been moved. smile.gif
mfb
QUOTE (James McMurray)
What's that supposed to be? Julia Roberts drooling?

no, that's
CODE
 |
 |
:|
 |
gunsnammo
I'll probably get yelled at since this is a shadowrun group but really they are more of a mutants and masterminds type characters.

gunsnammo
eidolon
I agree. From the little I personally know about the show, it seems much more Aberrant/Marvel/X-men/M&M/etc. than SR. Not that you can't approximate a lot of the characters in the SR rules and world (somebody did a pretty good job of that earlier on), it's just that when I think "superheroes" (even the "dark and brooding" type), I think Cyclops and Storm, not Fastjack and Cpt. Chaos. wink.gif
James McMurray
QUOTE (emo samurai)
That's me crying, insensitive asshat. :.(....

I'm sorry. If I'd realized it was you crying I'd have laughed much louder.

rollin.gif
emo samurai
You laugh about the 9th doctor quitting? HERETIC!!!

And who would win? A mage with Magic 6 and Sorcery group 6 and maxed-out drain stats, or Nuclear Ted?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012