IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What sort of HK material do you want to see?
Demonseed Elite
post Jan 26 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

Branching off from the discussion on Runner Havens vs. New Seattle, I've long planned to add extra material about Shadowrun Hong Kong to my SR4 work blog (see sig for link). I'm curious what sorts of things people might want to see. Is there anything you felt was lacking from the Hong Kong section of RH that you want material for? Anything you want expanded on? I won't make any promises that a certain piece will go up next or anything, but I would like to see what people might want.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brahm
post Jan 26 2007, 03:32 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,006

More detailed map of downtown, and across the harbour too, would be nice. I know that's a lot of work for laying something out, but nothing hits home like a map so even if you have a roughly hand-noted one a scan of that would be cool.

I don't know if you have anything and it's sort of a tangent but it'd be nice if you had more details about their Portuguese twin to the west, Macao. I got the impression that it's the real Barrens of HK in so much as where you go if you want to run far away from Knight Errant. So that brings up illicit base of operations, skip-tracing/wetwork jobs, a place for your players to lay low for a while if they decided to pull off a simple drugstore smash & grab using grenades :eek: :please: (yes, yes they did) but still do runs, and such.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jan 26 2007, 03:50 PM
Post #3

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

I thought the social networking flavor in RH about HK was good, and most of the geography stuff decent.

A few more things about how distinctive different a few things about the city would be good. Also a note on common cultural differences and practices.

in no particular order some thoughts
e.g. Who picks up the check at the restaurant, and why? If you've seen the lengths some people go to in order to ensure they are footing the dinner bill, it could be a 'run all by itself.
Games, Chineses chess, Mah Jong, kite fighting, all the unusual competitive games.
Food and diet, breakfast is different, congi and fish. If I ran a campaign in France I'd be pointing out one of your breakfast options is a big bowl of coffee and milk.
Anything that shows how densely populated it is. Unless you've been there, it's incredibly difficult to describe just how many people you are around. On weekends at the beaches, you literally cannot see the sand because it is covered with people and blankets. You can actually have no idea where the shoreline is because there are so many people on the beach and standing in the water.
Downtown at lunch time there will be several hundred people on the sidewalk on one city block. This is on a normal day.
It's an incredibly urban environment. Look at a housing estate, you can have 50,000 people in a couple blocks.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Jan 26 2007, 04:37 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Brahm)
More detailed map of downtown, and across the harbour too, would be nice. I know that's a lot of work for laying something out, but nothing hits home like a map so even if you have a roughly hand-noted one a scan of that would be cool.

I'm not terribly good at making maps. I didn't make the ones in RH, Mike (otaku_mike on these boards) did those. I do know where the locales I detailed are in Hong Kong and I have put the street addresses on my work blog already, along with a link to an online searchable map of Hong Kong.

If I figure out how to make decent Google Earth overlays, that may be a possibility.

+Quote Post
cetiah
post Jan 26 2007, 04:58 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,510

More organizations and their nefarious goals.
(Especially if I can use them in my Seattle campaign.)

+Quote Post
cetiah
post Jan 26 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

More cityscapes for Hong Kong and Seattle.
Adds a lot of flavor.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Jan 26 2007, 05:06 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (cetiah @ Jan 26 2007, 12:00 PM)
Adds a lot of flavor.

What do you mean by cityscapes, exactly?

EDIT: Also, this thread is specifically for Hong Kong material. I didn't write the Seattle section of RH and so it's not on my list right now of material to work on.

+Quote Post
cetiah
post Jan 26 2007, 05:10 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
QUOTE (cetiah @ Jan 26 2007, 12:00 PM)
Adds a lot of flavor.

What do you mean by cityscapes, exactly?

EDIT: Also, this thread is specifically for Hong Kong material. I didn't write the Seattle section of RH and so it's not on my list right now of material to work on.

I noticed you had a beautiful cityscape of Hong Kong on your blog. If you find anymore that seem particularly inspiring, or paint the city as a "cool" or "shadowy" place, I think they always add something.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Jan 26 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Oh, gotcha, yeah, I can probably find more of those.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Jan 26 2007, 06:10 PM
Post #10

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

My demands are simple.

Some details about the low level gangs who work for various triads.
Ideas of corp facilities and the sort of research they do.
Local personalities - to network with.
More detail on the Kowloon walled city and the Yama kings.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Jan 26 2007, 06:11 PM
Post #11

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

Echo that last line; that part was COOL.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Jan 26 2007, 06:11 PM
Post #12

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

oh and one more thing...

Some sort of rough notes on the population in nieghbourhoods

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Jan 26 2007, 06:16 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

All of those are very possible and I'll put them on my list.

+Quote Post
Mal-2
post Jan 26 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 5,889

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
If I figure out how to make decent Google Earth overlays, that may be a possibility.

I have Google Earth overlays made up for the major divisions of Hong Kong, here. I've started placing the individual locations, but it's a lot of work to go from an address (or intersection) to an actual location in google earth. I meant to work on it some more last month, but the project got set aside, and I never picked up on it again.

+Quote Post
ChicagosFinest
post Jan 26 2007, 07:39 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,422

Take me to the interesting places of hong kong. Name the more comon types of crime and explain how crime works in HK, how does HK culture encourage or suppresses crime?

Is HK fully of trendy honda driving, english speaking, techno glowstick dancing, extacy abusing asians? Or is there more than meets the eyes behind the tongs and gamboling parlors in HK? I know it would be cleche as well but is it like "big trouble in little china" or "Enter the dragon"? I want to go there and see the trills rub elbows with the bigwigs and send a postcard to my guys in the Chi while i get ready to be "loved a long time" by an asian prostitue I picked up in the trendy nightspot. I'm a runner with a rep to maintain. Give me the tools I need to make my vacation memorable.

Make me feel the cultrue like i have lived there for a year or 2. This is the same place where they had Kung-fu roof top pit fights to the death ("blood sport and bruce lee baby).

is that to much to ask?

+Quote Post
Blade
post Jan 26 2007, 07:41 PM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

You're in HK Demonseed ? Because I am right now. So if you ever need some inside information about anything, just ask.

There's so much to do about that place... It's cyberpunk even today.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 26 2007, 07:57 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i know what you mean. when i got to South Korea in 2001 and saw public videophone terminals... well, wow.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jan 26 2007, 09:06 PM
Post #18

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Some examples of runs.. like in shadowtalk format, people talking about how the hit went down: "i heard they gunned everyone down and walked out the front door"... this shows what kind of shadowrun culture exists, both in how the other runners talk about the hit, how it was executed, what was stolen/done, and what kind of payback came after them. These things depend on the local culture. Are runs sneaky and tricky, or blood n guts? Does the Triad come after you for taking a piece of action in their turf without paying your dues? Do the corps easily write off shadowruns? etc.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jan 26 2007, 09:17 PM
Post #19

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Things like you can live in an apartment complex that is like a mini arcology. lower levels are shops, grocery stores, fitness center, restaurants and the MTR stop connects directly to the basement levels.

You do not need a car, in fact, cars are a pain to have and take care of for most people.

Pedicabs, buses, minibuses, cabs, trams, MTR, rail, water taxis, car ferries, cross harbor tunnel, ferry to outlying islands.

Outlying islands... only a couple of hours on a ferry, a fishing village from 200 years ago.

Floating villages of fisherfolk right next to high rise building downtown.

Floating restaurant.

Incredibly densely populated urban environment, yet if you go to teh right place you can in about ten minutes go up in the hills and be somewhere that no one has visited in years.

Reservoir system... Hong Kong is completely dependent on fresh water pieplines and food being shipped in daily. Not an issue most of the time, but if Warlord might make noises abotu cutting of fresh water unless they get paid.

For all the people and things to do in HK, it's actually incredibly isolated. You have to fly out, or take a ship, and there's only the one rail/highway corridor going north. For all that Macau is a neighboring city, it's actually quite remote from Hong Kong.

Macau, it's totally different. Macau is really much more like a earopean (portuguese) enclave in asia, while Hong Kong is a modern blend all of it's own.

+Quote Post
ChicagosFinest
post Jan 27 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,422

Of course what do people eat? DO they still speak the Kings english or do they now speak chinese?

Like mentioned before what is it close to? What are it's mystical relations to places like tibet? ect.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 27 2007, 05:11 PM
Post #21

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

1) What are the differences between your HK(since you are the writer) and the present one? Culture, language, socio-economic structure, etc.

2) I do not believe that Snow Tiger, Lei Kung and some other minor players are the extent of the runners scene in HK. Seattle has a lot more "famous" runners. I'd like to see more of them. Maybe some sample HK Contacts.

+Quote Post
Draug
post Jan 27 2007, 08:57 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,259

The Hong Kong underground, from an Urban Explorer perspective. Storm drains, abandoned metrotubes, old maintenance tunnels, traversible sewer canals, and other stuff that makes hidden or off-track paths from A-B. Plus stuff you might run into down there.

If they exist, that is.

+Quote Post
Magus
post Jan 28 2007, 05:14 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

More details on the interrelationships (if any) between religions and martial art schools. More detail on shopping spots. I like the Golden Mile but it needed more fleshing out. Such as more detail on talismongering areas vs electronic or cultural shopping. My Social Adept went nuts shopping for business suits.

+Quote Post
Draug
post Jan 29 2007, 05:36 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,259

Some Hong Kong vistas of a now demolished Wan Chai appartment complex, and surroundings. Should be inspirational.

[IMG]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8931/wanchaiappartmentbuildiwt6.th.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8741/wanchaiappartmentinteritk3.th.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/6407/wanchaiareado7.th.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/4091/wanchaiarea2jo6.th.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/8243/wanchaiinhabitedpm8.th.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks to Kuroneko at Urban Exploration Resource for taking these, and letting me post 'em here.

+Quote Post
Tycho
post Jan 29 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,495

hi,

first of all, I like the Hongkong Chapter very much and my group enjoy playing there.

things I would like to have:
- sample Connections with their Guanxi Network
- more about the Yama kings, maybe a few sample
- a overview over the talismonger business in Hongkong, it seem to be very big market there
- more locations are always fine

thanks a lot,

Tycho

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:24 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.