IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Post-character creation Awakening, How would you handle it?
JongWK
post Oct 31 2003, 03:32 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

Suppose a character discovers later in his life that he's Awakened (like Sam Verner), how would you handle it?

Making him pay for it at character generation? (this doesn't allow for surprises)

Or what about the player making his character and then, for some reason, he discovers his new status during the campaign?

Would you make him pay in the second option?
How would you handle initial spell points?

Anything else I'm forgetting?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 31 2003, 03:37 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,916

The problem arises from game balance.

Munchkins of all sorts would be coming out of the woodwork, manifesting like a hooker at shore leave.

Someone else posted a thread about the topic and I don't think anybody had a satisfactory resolution.

If you want to house-rule it, then snap your fingers and say "Poof!". Arguably Totems and related personifications could bestow magical ability without innate talent.

As for a game mechanic cost -- I'd wouldn't apply one because that opens the door for anyone else who wants to buy magical ability to do so.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Maxwell Silverha...
post Oct 31 2003, 03:44 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 5,765

well if the carcter was not created as a mage, then its a pretty good guarentee that he/she has cyberwear and bioware. That is a hit to an awakened caracter, mostly this would be up to the player to roleplay it out. Also the caracter would know no spells, nor have any contacts in the magical community. Also I would allow the caracter no magic points to purchase spells with when he/she learned the caracter was awakened, everythign would have to be bought with karma.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Oct 31 2003, 03:45 PM
Post #4

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

One thing my GM is thinking about letting mundanes do is Initiate. Gets them minor magical abilities, so on, and so forth. He won't let burn outs Initiate to increase their Magic, though. We don't have everything worked out, but thus far he's thinking about it.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Oct 31 2003, 03:47 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

Take the type of power he's manifesting and charge him for it like it were an edge he were buying (using the same mechanic as buying off a flaw... points x 10 good karma). The character would start with no spell points, but with full adept power points. Costs would be:

Magical Adept, 30 point edge, 300 good karma
Full mage, 25 point edge, 250 good karma
Physical Adept, 25 point edge, 250 good karma
Aspected mage, 18 point edge, 180 good karma

You might reduce these costs by about half to represent the fact that they're worth less because of a lack of training (which they definitely are). Or you could just forget making them pay and give everyone else something good, too.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Oct 31 2003, 03:59 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

While I agree with the Gnome's premise, I think if you choose to treat the edge as a flaw to buyoff, you should use the Advanced BP System which represents a breakdown of the points a person spends to be a magic-type.

Using it, the Karma Cost would be 50 + ( 10 per Essence point lost ). So, someone with 3.75 Essence of Cyber would pay 90 karma. After that they can start purchasing subcategories like 20 karma to have Mana Manipulation, 10 karma to cast spells of a category, 20 to Astrally perceive, etc, etc.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Oct 31 2003, 04:04 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

The thing is that I'm adapting to SR a very good Spanish adventure for Ragnarok. Really funny to run on Halloween or in the Dia de los Muertos. :evil:

It's set in Aztlan's Pacific coast, when the guys are relaxing in a pretty isolated villa near Oaxaca (not many runners get to do that, so they'll probably be there protecting some smuggled cargo in the basement). There is a slow, intriguing build-up, until all hell breaks loose in a seemingly endless night, while the mother of all tropical storms hits the area.

It has to do with the Aztec gods eternal struggle. In the end, somebody has to sacrifice himself (literally) to save his team mates' lives. Whoever has the cojones to kill his own character gets a special reward, although the adventure leaves that to the GM (no, the PC doesn't die, although it surely looks like that until the very end, burnt flesh and bones included, clues or batteries not included). :vegm: :vegm: :vegm:

I was just thinking that Awakening could be an appropiate reward. Perhaps as a shaman of Quetzacouatl.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Oct 31 2003, 04:07 PM
Post #8

Dragon

If it's a very special situation like that, it makes a lot of sense to not charge them anything for it. After all, they already "paid" the price.

+Quote Post
Kurukami
post Oct 31 2003, 05:27 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,242

QUOTE (JongWK)
Whoever has the cojones to kill his own character gets a special reward, although the adventure leaves that to the GM (no, the PC doesn't die, although it surely looks like that until the very end, burnt flesh and bones included, clues or batteries not included). :vegm: :vegm: :vegm:

I was just thinking that Awakening could be an appropiate reward. Perhaps as a shaman of Quetzacouatl.

<ot> I'm not sure the SR rules provide the structure for this, but an alternative might be as a shaman of Tezcatlipoca -- who, I seem to recall, was Quetzalcouatl's mythical brother and whose name translates as "Burning Water" or "Smoking Mirror". </ot>

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 31 2003, 05:54 PM
Post #10

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

My vote is: No mechanic for it. Game master's whim only. If the GM decides a character is going to spontaneously awaken, fine. It's the GM's game, and the GM is responsible for any game balance issues that go along with it.
Perhaps the GM wants to play a high-powered game, and so after a few sessions, somebody awakens, somebody gets 6,000,000 in free beta cyber, the rigger gets a militarly vehicle, etc. It could work in that context.
Perhaps somebody died in an experienced campaign, and they make a new beginning character. They're the newbie in the group, everyone else has more skills & better ware, and they play a few times through the hardships of learning to fit into a group and such, and then the GM gets bored w/ this person being underpowered and has them spontaneously awaken. It could work there, too.
There are plenty of special circumstances where a spontaneous awakening could be very cool, and tell an excellent story.

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Oct 31 2003, 06:29 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Kurukami)
QUOTE (JongWK @ Oct 31 2003, 04:04 PM)

<ot> I'm not sure the SR rules provide the structure for this, but an alternative might be as a shaman of Tezcatlipoca -- who, I seem to recall, was Quetzalcouatl's mythical brother and whose name translates as "Burning Water" or "Smoking Mirror". </ot>

Tezcatlipoca and Tlaloc are trying to kill Quetzacouatl, and only his mother and a minor deity get in their way. The mother is killed early in the night, the kid is left alone and you have to protect him all the night and somebody has to imitate the minor deity (whose name I can't remember right now) and sacrifice himself to become the new sun. (because if not, the night is not ending). Meanwhile, a servant of Tlaloc roams the area with a shotgun or some other nastiness (been thinking of using Shedim rules :evil: ).

+Quote Post
ialdabaoth
post Oct 31 2003, 06:35 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,692

QUOTE (JongWK)
It has to do with the Aztec gods eternal struggle. In the end, somebody has to sacrifice himself (literally) to save his team mates' lives. Whoever has the cojones to kill his own character gets a special reward, although the adventure leaves that to the GM (no, the PC doesn't die, although it surely looks like that until the very end, burnt flesh and bones included, clues or batteries not included). :vegm: :vegm: :vegm:

I've run scenarios just like this, actually.

Plenty of stories and legends involve Awakening after going through what is, essentially, an Initiation Ordeal. So work it like that. Self-sacrifice fits the Asceticism gig, so have the guy permanently lose one physical Attribute (and one point of RML), and give him a Magic Rating of 1. Then let him buy it up to its 'natural' level with Karma just like any other Attribute, roleplaying his 'discovery' of his powers all the while.

+Quote Post
Dr Vital
post Oct 31 2003, 06:43 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 5,724

Or, alternatively, just give him a magic rating of 1, and leave it at that.

It's interesting, at the very least, and won't unbalance your game.

+Quote Post
Phasma Felis
post Oct 31 2003, 08:59 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 1,985

Here's a skeleton of a mechanic for dealing with an "Awakening" full mage character who's just learning how to control his power:

Let the character buy a "Apprentice Magic" skill at normal Karma costs. (Or higher, if you think it's appropriate.) The player has to roll this skill to perform magical actions that normally require no roll (like astral perception), and can only use Sorcery or Conjuring by defaulting to the Apprentice skill. Once the skill is high enough, it goes away and is replaced by one or two levels each of Sorcery and Conjuring, which can then be raised normally. Treat the character as a "normal" mage from here on out.

Obviously, a lot more work needs to be done with TNs, penalties, and so forth to make this system viable.

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Nov 3 2003, 04:16 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

@ Dr.Vital:

Giving him Magic Rating 1 sounds good. What about Astral abilities (projection, perception, drekcetera)?

---------
-"How do we blend in with those elven posers?"
(later in the game, the runners go to a Public Library)
-"Excuse, do you have a Silmarillion datachip?"

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Nov 3 2003, 05:01 PM
Post #16

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

I also vote for paying 300 good karma, unless plan on giving the other players the equivalent of 30 BP's worth of crap now you will look like you are either heavily favoring one character or just screwing the rest. :D

+Quote Post
BigKnockers
post Nov 3 2003, 05:09 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 1,721

Depends what you're going to give him. Sorcery, Conjuring, Enchanting all of the above?

If your giving him full magic use then projection would be the way to go, but that just sounds like giving away a little too much for my liking.

Personally I would make the character a sorceror or a conjurer, and give them perception but not projection.

Thats just my opinion though.

As for the other characters getting the raw deal out of it. Well, they didn't sacrifice their character. Only problem is, this might turn the rest of your players into lemmings in the desperate hope that they will get magic usage aswell.

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Nov 3 2003, 06:31 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

What about giving the character just Magic Rating 1 and Astral Perception. Or maybe making him dual natured (both an Edge AND a Flaw).

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Nov 3 2003, 06:40 PM
Post #19

Dragon

Considering what he has to do to get it... I'd probably give the character a magic of 6 - whatever he's spent in essence, etc., no spell points, and astral perception. Then make him a shamanist of whatever spirit you want to (thus making the power seem more divine in origin, maybe?). From there, he can learn sorcery, conjuring, and spells that fit his totem. It's a bit of an advantage, but he has to spend so much to get full effect out of it, it doesn't seem like it would break the game balance.

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Nov 3 2003, 06:50 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

And what if he had cyber or bioware? Gone or still there?

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Nov 3 2003, 06:55 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Going further into my last post: What I mean is that the myth is about the demideity sacrificing itself so that he is reborn as the Sun. Now, that touches issues like reincarnation, which have been discussed to a certain point in SR and I won't go into that now.
If if the character sacrifices himself in a pyre to be reborn as the "Sun", would you clean him of his 'ware? Would that be excessive manipulation by the GM? (I think so)

+Quote Post
BigKnockers
post Nov 3 2003, 07:50 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 1,721

I think your best giving your character the choice. The player may feel his character is defined by his ware/bio and may feel violated if he is suddenly stripped of it. Let him know that he will be a more effective spellslinger without it, but ultimately give him the choice.
You could always geasa some of the cyber off. if he only had 2 points of cyber, and he took gesture and chanting (or whatever it's called), then he is still the same character he used to be, it's just that if he does a jig and say some words he can sling some mojo and summon some spirits.

p.s. I agree with TG, if he's willing to bite the bullet for his friends, then 6 Major points isn't unreasonable.

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Nov 12 2003, 08:57 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

- Kurukami

Mercedes Lackey fan? ;) (I'm guessing based on the precise way this was worded - differently from others who picked up on it, where I'm guessing heritage + interest in mythology - and on your mid-Cal location.)

I'll agree most generally with Moon-Hawk: "game master's whim only".

So long as it is left as a reward scenario for exceptional sacrifice - and thus something completely under the GM's control, but within the player's control to decline (once - it never again will be offered) - I see nothing inherently unbalancing in the concept. Depending upon the specific nature and degree of the sacrifice, I probably would make the PC pay for the option in any scenario except something such as the one you are envisioning, JongWK: that one should be a freebie (but again with the player option to decline).

In other cases, I'd generally go with the Gnome's costs, adapted to Sphynx's system (thanks, Sphynx! we've already made use of it) as a kind of negative credit balance: if the player agrees to the option, their next 180-300 good karma (maybe at the ratio of 9 out of every 10 good karma earned - that allows a bit of flexibility) go toward coming to terms with their new powers. I'd also include within this cost an automatic 1 in Sorcery and Conjuring (not Enchanting), whatever powers are standard to the new level of Awakening (but see below), and between one and three spells at Force = Magic rating (if appropriate). Since it is a special case and a reward, I'd also include some kind of focus appropriate to the game, and let the PC have a head start of Magic rating karma (again included) toward bonding it.
Plenty of stories and legends involve Awakening after going through what is, essentially, an Initiation Ordeal. So work it like that. Self-sacrifice fits the Asceticism gig, so have the guy permanently lose one physical Attribute (and one point of RML), and give him a Magic Rating of 1.
- ialdabaoth

The second part of this (the MG = 1) could readily substitute: even the cost would be comparable. Whether or not physical Attributes are lost, however, I think would have to depend on the nature of the experience. (For what it's worth [and I don't think it's particularly relevant in this context], one of my PCs actually ended up unexpectedly initiating at a cost of 1 MG (net MG no change): a particularly intense ordeal ended up turning into initiation, and a growth in WL into the exceptional ranges.)
Using it, the Karma Cost would be 50 + ( 10 per Essence point lost ). So, someone with 3.75 Essence of Cyber would pay 90 karma.
- Sphynx

What I would not do, however, is to tie the karma cost to be paid to the available Essence. Awakening costs at PC creation aren't cheaper just because the PC chooses the 'ware option - why should an in-game Awakening have that option?
Or, alternatively, just give him a magic rating of 1, and leave it at that.
- Dr Vital

I'll just say I have a dislike for setting absolute limits the player did not choose themself. This would seem to be one of those absolutes.

Whether 'ware is still there or not would depend on the specific type of event that triggered the Awakening. A major free spirit ("god?") or some specific totems (Unicorn, Eagle ... or being reborn as the Sun) might choose to remove all 'ware from the PC's body at the moment of the PC's acceptance of the new path. In most cases though, I suspect that what the PC had already made of their body is what stays. (This would cut out any PC-types with an Essence of less than 1 from this option.)

No matter what, I would add at least one or more geasa of the GM's choice (but directly tied in nature to the triggering event) to the newly Awakened PC. (This can balance out Essence loss due to 'ware). Additionally, upon acceptance, the player should have the option of completely negating Essence loss due to existing 'ware with additional geasa.

Now, nothing is saying that either the player or the character needs to be immediately aware of what has happened. As the character, perhaps their way of perceiving has shifted (astral sight ... or thermo :evil: - let the PC worry about whether their metatype is shifting). Perhaps, wanting to see beyond a barrier, they suddenly find themself with an overhead view - and then when they look back they see their own body. (Within the context of previous sacrifice, that could be freaky.) Perhaps in extremis they cast their first spell. Perhaps they find a sudden ability At the point when the character (and thus necessarily the player) guesses the truth, that's when they have the choice of whether they wish to continue on this path.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Nov 12 2003, 09:26 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Using it, the Karma Cost would be 50 + ( 10 per Essence point lost ). So, someone with 3.75 Essence of Cyber would pay 90 karma.
- Sphynx

What I would not do, however, is to tie the karma cost to be paid to the available Essence. Awakening costs at PC creation aren't cheaper just because the PC chooses the 'ware option - why should an in-game Awakening have that option?

Because, using the Alterantive BP System, it IS more expensive at PC creation. I believe the exact quote is:
Any loss of Essence at Character Generation, such as Cyberware installation will reduce your Magic Rating by the amount of Essence lost.

So, since you're paying 1BP per Magic Point (10 karma) If you were to have 3 levels of cyberware, and only buy Magic to 3, you've a Magic Rating of 1 (You start with 1 Magic already). If you don't buy it, you're mundane. ;)

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Nov 12 2003, 09:31 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

Mmm. I think we're saying the same thing in different ways. (What I'd read in your system wasn't what I'd picked up from your previous post. Put it down to a Talia misunderstanding.)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:28 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.