Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Post-character creation Awakening
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JongWK
Suppose a character discovers later in his life that he's Awakened (like Sam Verner), how would you handle it?

Making him pay for it at character generation? (this doesn't allow for surprises)

Or what about the player making his character and then, for some reason, he discovers his new status during the campaign?

Would you make him pay in the second option?
How would you handle initial spell points?

Anything else I'm forgetting?
Siege
The problem arises from game balance.

Munchkins of all sorts would be coming out of the woodwork, manifesting like a hooker at shore leave.

Someone else posted a thread about the topic and I don't think anybody had a satisfactory resolution.

If you want to house-rule it, then snap your fingers and say "Poof!". Arguably Totems and related personifications could bestow magical ability without innate talent.

As for a game mechanic cost -- I'd wouldn't apply one because that opens the door for anyone else who wants to buy magical ability to do so.

-Siege
Maxwell Silverhammer
well if the carcter was not created as a mage, then its a pretty good guarentee that he/she has cyberwear and bioware. That is a hit to an awakened caracter, mostly this would be up to the player to roleplay it out. Also the caracter would know no spells, nor have any contacts in the magical community. Also I would allow the caracter no magic points to purchase spells with when he/she learned the caracter was awakened, everythign would have to be bought with karma.
Tanka
One thing my GM is thinking about letting mundanes do is Initiate. Gets them minor magical abilities, so on, and so forth. He won't let burn outs Initiate to increase their Magic, though. We don't have everything worked out, but thus far he's thinking about it.
TinkerGnome
Take the type of power he's manifesting and charge him for it like it were an edge he were buying (using the same mechanic as buying off a flaw... points x 10 good karma). The character would start with no spell points, but with full adept power points. Costs would be:

Magical Adept, 30 point edge, 300 good karma
Full mage, 25 point edge, 250 good karma
Physical Adept, 25 point edge, 250 good karma
Aspected mage, 18 point edge, 180 good karma

You might reduce these costs by about half to represent the fact that they're worth less because of a lack of training (which they definitely are). Or you could just forget making them pay and give everyone else something good, too.
Sphynx
While I agree with the Gnome's premise, I think if you choose to treat the edge as a flaw to buyoff, you should use the Advanced BP System which represents a breakdown of the points a person spends to be a magic-type.

Using it, the Karma Cost would be 50 + ( 10 per Essence point lost ). So, someone with 3.75 Essence of Cyber would pay 90 karma. After that they can start purchasing subcategories like 20 karma to have Mana Manipulation, 10 karma to cast spells of a category, 20 to Astrally perceive, etc, etc.

Sphynx
JongWK
The thing is that I'm adapting to SR a very good Spanish adventure for Ragnarok. Really funny to run on Halloween or in the Dia de los Muertos. devil.gif

It's set in Aztlan's Pacific coast, when the guys are relaxing in a pretty isolated villa near Oaxaca (not many runners get to do that, so they'll probably be there protecting some smuggled cargo in the basement). There is a slow, intriguing build-up, until all hell breaks loose in a seemingly endless night, while the mother of all tropical storms hits the area.

It has to do with the Aztec gods eternal struggle. In the end, somebody has to sacrifice himself (literally) to save his team mates' lives. Whoever has the cojones to kill his own character gets a special reward, although the adventure leaves that to the GM (no, the PC doesn't die, although it surely looks like that until the very end, burnt flesh and bones included, clues or batteries not included). vegm.gif vegm.gif vegm.gif

I was just thinking that Awakening could be an appropiate reward. Perhaps as a shaman of Quetzacouatl.
TinkerGnome
If it's a very special situation like that, it makes a lot of sense to not charge them anything for it. After all, they already "paid" the price.
Kurukami
QUOTE (JongWK)
Whoever has the cojones to kill his own character gets a special reward, although the adventure leaves that to the GM (no, the PC doesn't die, although it surely looks like that until the very end, burnt flesh and bones included, clues or batteries not included). vegm.gif vegm.gif vegm.gif

I was just thinking that Awakening could be an appropiate reward. Perhaps as a shaman of Quetzacouatl.

<ot> I'm not sure the SR rules provide the structure for this, but an alternative might be as a shaman of Tezcatlipoca -- who, I seem to recall, was Quetzalcouatl's mythical brother and whose name translates as "Burning Water" or "Smoking Mirror". </ot>
Moon-Hawk
My vote is: No mechanic for it. Game master's whim only. If the GM decides a character is going to spontaneously awaken, fine. It's the GM's game, and the GM is responsible for any game balance issues that go along with it.
Perhaps the GM wants to play a high-powered game, and so after a few sessions, somebody awakens, somebody gets 6,000,000 in free beta cyber, the rigger gets a militarly vehicle, etc. It could work in that context.
Perhaps somebody died in an experienced campaign, and they make a new beginning character. They're the newbie in the group, everyone else has more skills & better ware, and they play a few times through the hardships of learning to fit into a group and such, and then the GM gets bored w/ this person being underpowered and has them spontaneously awaken. It could work there, too.
There are plenty of special circumstances where a spontaneous awakening could be very cool, and tell an excellent story.
JongWK
QUOTE (Kurukami)
QUOTE (JongWK @ Oct 31 2003, 04:04 PM)

<ot> I'm not sure the SR rules provide the structure for this, but an alternative might be as a shaman of Tezcatlipoca -- who, I seem to recall, was Quetzalcouatl's mythical brother and whose name translates as "Burning Water" or "Smoking Mirror". </ot>

Tezcatlipoca and Tlaloc are trying to kill Quetzacouatl, and only his mother and a minor deity get in their way. The mother is killed early in the night, the kid is left alone and you have to protect him all the night and somebody has to imitate the minor deity (whose name I can't remember right now) and sacrifice himself to become the new sun. (because if not, the night is not ending). Meanwhile, a servant of Tlaloc roams the area with a shotgun or some other nastiness (been thinking of using Shedim rules devil.gif ).
ialdabaoth
QUOTE (JongWK)
It has to do with the Aztec gods eternal struggle. In the end, somebody has to sacrifice himself (literally) to save his team mates' lives. Whoever has the cojones to kill his own character gets a special reward, although the adventure leaves that to the GM (no, the PC doesn't die, although it surely looks like that until the very end, burnt flesh and bones included, clues or batteries not included). vegm.gif vegm.gif vegm.gif

I've run scenarios just like this, actually.

Plenty of stories and legends involve Awakening after going through what is, essentially, an Initiation Ordeal. So work it like that. Self-sacrifice fits the Asceticism gig, so have the guy permanently lose one physical Attribute (and one point of RML), and give him a Magic Rating of 1. Then let him buy it up to its 'natural' level with Karma just like any other Attribute, roleplaying his 'discovery' of his powers all the while.
Dr Vital
Or, alternatively, just give him a magic rating of 1, and leave it at that.

It's interesting, at the very least, and won't unbalance your game.
Phasma Felis
Here's a skeleton of a mechanic for dealing with an "Awakening" full mage character who's just learning how to control his power:

Let the character buy a "Apprentice Magic" skill at normal Karma costs. (Or higher, if you think it's appropriate.) The player has to roll this skill to perform magical actions that normally require no roll (like astral perception), and can only use Sorcery or Conjuring by defaulting to the Apprentice skill. Once the skill is high enough, it goes away and is replaced by one or two levels each of Sorcery and Conjuring, which can then be raised normally. Treat the character as a "normal" mage from here on out.

Obviously, a lot more work needs to be done with TNs, penalties, and so forth to make this system viable.
JongWK
@ Dr.Vital:

Giving him Magic Rating 1 sounds good. What about Astral abilities (projection, perception, drekcetera)?

---------
-"How do we blend in with those elven posers?"
(later in the game, the runners go to a Public Library)
-"Excuse, do you have a Silmarillion datachip?"
BitBasher
I also vote for paying 300 good karma, unless plan on giving the other players the equivalent of 30 BP's worth of crap now you will look like you are either heavily favoring one character or just screwing the rest. biggrin.gif
BigKnockers
Depends what you're going to give him. Sorcery, Conjuring, Enchanting all of the above?

If your giving him full magic use then projection would be the way to go, but that just sounds like giving away a little too much for my liking.

Personally I would make the character a sorceror or a conjurer, and give them perception but not projection.

Thats just my opinion though.

As for the other characters getting the raw deal out of it. Well, they didn't sacrifice their character. Only problem is, this might turn the rest of your players into lemmings in the desperate hope that they will get magic usage aswell.
JongWK
What about giving the character just Magic Rating 1 and Astral Perception. Or maybe making him dual natured (both an Edge AND a Flaw).
TinkerGnome
Considering what he has to do to get it... I'd probably give the character a magic of 6 - whatever he's spent in essence, etc., no spell points, and astral perception. Then make him a shamanist of whatever spirit you want to (thus making the power seem more divine in origin, maybe?). From there, he can learn sorcery, conjuring, and spells that fit his totem. It's a bit of an advantage, but he has to spend so much to get full effect out of it, it doesn't seem like it would break the game balance.
JongWK
And what if he had cyber or bioware? Gone or still there?
JongWK
Going further into my last post: What I mean is that the myth is about the demideity sacrificing itself so that he is reborn as the Sun. Now, that touches issues like reincarnation, which have been discussed to a certain point in SR and I won't go into that now.
If if the character sacrifices himself in a pyre to be reborn as the "Sun", would you clean him of his 'ware? Would that be excessive manipulation by the GM? (I think so)
BigKnockers
I think your best giving your character the choice. The player may feel his character is defined by his ware/bio and may feel violated if he is suddenly stripped of it. Let him know that he will be a more effective spellslinger without it, but ultimately give him the choice.
You could always geasa some of the cyber off. if he only had 2 points of cyber, and he took gesture and chanting (or whatever it's called), then he is still the same character he used to be, it's just that if he does a jig and say some words he can sling some mojo and summon some spirits.

p.s. I agree with TG, if he's willing to bite the bullet for his friends, then 6 Major points isn't unreasonable.
Talia Invierno
- Kurukami

Mercedes Lackey fan? wink.gif (I'm guessing based on the precise way this was worded - differently from others who picked up on it, where I'm guessing heritage + interest in mythology - and on your mid-Cal location.)

I'll agree most generally with Moon-Hawk: "game master's whim only".

So long as it is left as a reward scenario for exceptional sacrifice - and thus something completely under the GM's control, but within the player's control to decline (once - it never again will be offered) - I see nothing inherently unbalancing in the concept. Depending upon the specific nature and degree of the sacrifice, I probably would make the PC pay for the option in any scenario except something such as the one you are envisioning, JongWK: that one should be a freebie (but again with the player option to decline).

In other cases, I'd generally go with the Gnome's costs, adapted to Sphynx's system (thanks, Sphynx! we've already made use of it) as a kind of negative credit balance: if the player agrees to the option, their next 180-300 good karma (maybe at the ratio of 9 out of every 10 good karma earned - that allows a bit of flexibility) go toward coming to terms with their new powers. I'd also include within this cost an automatic 1 in Sorcery and Conjuring (not Enchanting), whatever powers are standard to the new level of Awakening (but see below), and between one and three spells at Force = Magic rating (if appropriate). Since it is a special case and a reward, I'd also include some kind of focus appropriate to the game, and let the PC have a head start of Magic rating karma (again included) toward bonding it.
Plenty of stories and legends involve Awakening after going through what is, essentially, an Initiation Ordeal. So work it like that. Self-sacrifice fits the Asceticism gig, so have the guy permanently lose one physical Attribute (and one point of RML), and give him a Magic Rating of 1.
- ialdabaoth

The second part of this (the MG = 1) could readily substitute: even the cost would be comparable. Whether or not physical Attributes are lost, however, I think would have to depend on the nature of the experience. (For what it's worth [and I don't think it's particularly relevant in this context], one of my PCs actually ended up unexpectedly initiating at a cost of 1 MG (net MG no change): a particularly intense ordeal ended up turning into initiation, and a growth in WL into the exceptional ranges.)
Using it, the Karma Cost would be 50 + ( 10 per Essence point lost ). So, someone with 3.75 Essence of Cyber would pay 90 karma.
- Sphynx

What I would not do, however, is to tie the karma cost to be paid to the available Essence. Awakening costs at PC creation aren't cheaper just because the PC chooses the 'ware option - why should an in-game Awakening have that option?
Or, alternatively, just give him a magic rating of 1, and leave it at that.
- Dr Vital

I'll just say I have a dislike for setting absolute limits the player did not choose themself. This would seem to be one of those absolutes.

Whether 'ware is still there or not would depend on the specific type of event that triggered the Awakening. A major free spirit ("god?") or some specific totems (Unicorn, Eagle ... or being reborn as the Sun) might choose to remove all 'ware from the PC's body at the moment of the PC's acceptance of the new path. In most cases though, I suspect that what the PC had already made of their body is what stays. (This would cut out any PC-types with an Essence of less than 1 from this option.)

No matter what, I would add at least one or more geasa of the GM's choice (but directly tied in nature to the triggering event) to the newly Awakened PC. (This can balance out Essence loss due to 'ware). Additionally, upon acceptance, the player should have the option of completely negating Essence loss due to existing 'ware with additional geasa.

Now, nothing is saying that either the player or the character needs to be immediately aware of what has happened. As the character, perhaps their way of perceiving has shifted (astral sight ... or thermo devil.gif - let the PC worry about whether their metatype is shifting). Perhaps, wanting to see beyond a barrier, they suddenly find themself with an overhead view - and then when they look back they see their own body. (Within the context of previous sacrifice, that could be freaky.) Perhaps in extremis they cast their first spell. Perhaps they find a sudden ability At the point when the character (and thus necessarily the player) guesses the truth, that's when they have the choice of whether they wish to continue on this path.
Sphynx
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Using it, the Karma Cost would be 50 + ( 10 per Essence point lost ). So, someone with 3.75 Essence of Cyber would pay 90 karma.
- Sphynx

What I would not do, however, is to tie the karma cost to be paid to the available Essence. Awakening costs at PC creation aren't cheaper just because the PC chooses the 'ware option - why should an in-game Awakening have that option?

Because, using the Alterantive BP System, it IS more expensive at PC creation. I believe the exact quote is:
Any loss of Essence at Character Generation, such as Cyberware installation will reduce your Magic Rating by the amount of Essence lost.

So, since you're paying 1BP per Magic Point (10 karma) If you were to have 3 levels of cyberware, and only buy Magic to 3, you've a Magic Rating of 1 (You start with 1 Magic already). If you don't buy it, you're mundane. wink.gif

Sphynx
Talia Invierno
Mmm. I think we're saying the same thing in different ways. (What I'd read in your system wasn't what I'd picked up from your previous post. Put it down to a Talia misunderstanding.)
nezumi
QUOTE (ialdabaoth)
have the guy permanently lose one physical Attribute (and one point of RML)

I think alleviating the price of awakening by refunding karma through decreasing a stat of the GM's choice would be a good idea. If I had to work off 100 karma before I could advance again, I would cry frown.gif So I could decrease my superhuman strength from 6 to 1 and get back 40 karma points, leaving me with only 60 or whatever points left before I'm fully paid off with magic, and then I can buy back my strength with karma or just leave it. I also do like the idea of being able to 'buy up' your magic up to 6 as a more staggered way of dealing with Sphynx's idea. After all, a game with no advancement is no fun ; )
moosegod
They have rules for this in "year of the comet". The SURGE stuff has dual-natured, perception, drekcetera. Look it up.
Herald of Verjigorm
Astral Sight the SURGE effect: gives a magic rating of 1, allows astral perception and learning of magical skills. Does not allow projection or adept powers. Can be raised as normal (for a magic rating).
Sphynx
Sure, you can go the SURGE route, but do you realize the chances? Roll Essence, TN 12.... Then roll 1d6, needing at least a 6 on the roll to get Astral Sight. Then he can ONLY learn Aura Reading and Enchanting, not Sorcery, Conjuring or any other Magical Skill.

I don't think that's what he's looking for. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx
Herald of Verjigorm
GM forced SURGE always succeeds, regardless of the horrible TNs. Besides, I was adding more detail to mosse's comment.
Synner
I've done this in my game, and strangely enough for me, at no karma cost. It was simple story development.

One player in my group decided to make a con-man character decked out with all the appropriate cyber (quite a bit of it actually) for listening in, coniving his way into people's lives, taping and recording compromising evidence and generally using his skills to turn a buck. Unfortunately he didn't fit very well with the team (no real reason to run the shadows) and did so only because one particular con of his involving a Mobster went bad and he had to make some friends quick. He became a reluctant runner and a sort of fifth wheel on the team. A trickster nobody else really trusted but who they kept around because they really didn't have a Face.

I knew I had to something with the character because as he was he just didn't "fit" and sooner or later that was going to be a problem. So the "trickster" aspect of the character got me thinking...

I was running a low-level campaign that was building to a climax, and I intended to close it with my take on the Double Exposure run (where the UB is outed to the world). So I started building up to it. On a couple of ocassions while doing especially hazardous stunts on runs a mangy wild-looking dog (note this is a fully city-grown man) would show up and more often than not allow the guy to avoid trouble just by his presence. This continued into Double Exposure where the "dog" actually warned him away from a potentially hazardous situation involving a Bug-guard patrol by distracting them while he made his escape. On that ocassion the con-man actually tried to befriend the "dog" which promptly vanished into the nearby shadows.

Troubled the con-man went to the team's Raccoon shaman and asked him to check him out. The shaman did and found that the con-man's low-Essence aura was flaring and starting to bloom with magic power, in fact the shaman had a vision where the "mangy dog" came forward and told him that the con-man was chosen for a very special task and that the shaman was going to "die a good death" soon. Because of the latter bit and some reasoning that escapes me the shaman decided to tell the con-man that there was indeed something magical going on with him but nothing serious or harmful and nothing he could really fix.

Later in the run the con-man is perfectly suited to lead the team into Camp Hope. After spending a few days there and scoping the place the team calls in the shaman and rigger that have been waiting outside to investigate further. They go into the hidden cave complex under Camp Hope and we all know what they find there. The cramped tunnels and dozens of bugs means they end up having to fight their way to the heart and out again.

The climax turns really messy when the Raccoon shaman does indeed "die a good death" destroying the Hive's Queen and the runners are corralled in a tunnel with bugs pouring into it from both ends. The 6 other members of the team slowly begin to fall to the onslaught. Just then, in the midst of the chaos and close quarters fighting the con-man sees the mangy dog again.

Coyote has decided it's time the Hives were taught a lesson and he's the one to do it - he wants the runners to escape and the word to get out. What he's been doing is "grooming" the con-man to become a Coyote shaman and its the con-man that just hasn't been on the same frequency. While the other runners fight and die the con-man in a bloodsoaked half-trance half-vision quest is taught a single spell: Shape Earth (actually I put aside some of the karma he was going to earn for the run to pay for the spell)

Almost unconciously he howled his new-found magic and brought down the roof on top of the bugs on either side, closing off the tunnel around the surviving runners. Then, under Coyote's guidance he turned his attention upwards and shaped earth towards the surface. Unfortunately this was also when the Drain cut in. The con-man had something like 0.9 Essence, he was casting at force 4 and already had several wounds (a Moderate IIRC). Since he was casting above his new-found (and cyber-stunted) Magic he took another Moderate Physical wound and blood began pouring out of his nose and ears.
The two other surviving runners are stunned but don't look a gift horse in the mouth, they grab the con-man (whereas previously they'd probably have left him) and make their escape up the new tunnel dropping all their grenades (unused in the close quarters combat of the tunnels) back in after them.

My group still thinks it was one of the nicest runs they've done and everyone loved the twist. Personally I liked the way it turned out and the way the new Coyote shaman now wanted to remain with the group in the shadows to learn more about his new abilities.

Important Note - I would probably have charged a lot more karma for this had it been any other character but:
a) the character was a Trickster by nature and I loved the poetic justice in it.
b) the character was heavily cybered and as such I knew he would inevitably have some serious restraints on his new magic.
c) he got his magic but no spells or other skills to go with it. I let him use that one spell spontaneously because Coyote was guiding him - meaning he had to pick up conjuring and sorcery on his own.
d) it changed the character from an outsider in the group to a central member.
e) it was an appropriate climax to that campaign (the 3 survivors went on to form another group).

Moral
- If it's appropriate, why not allow it? Do whatever fits your game and benefits the story.
Eindrachen
An interesting story, but for nuts and bolts, it lacks a bit. I have a somewhat altered take to the idea.

Awakening isn't necessarily a bad thing for the campaign. It can be a really interesting thing for a person to wake up one day, and suddenly have to learn about a whole new world than he/she was used to.

However, it shouldn't be easy, or common. After all, if it could be done at the drop of a hat, everyone would already be doing it in the SR universe. However, there is plenty of precedence for such, the most memorable to me being the guy that founded the group Children of the Dragon after Big D's death. He displayed no talent beforehand, and suddenly had it.

The Approach

Naturally, there are two ways to do it: hermetic, and shamanistic. For the sake of plausibility (and to keep things from being too generic or too detailed), the way someone might Awaken is slightly different, but basically the same.

Hermetics would Awaken while studying, their minds suddenly open to the intricate energies flowing all around them. The complex formulas, charts, diagrams, and recitations would help someone suddenly see the patterns mana that exist just beyond their mundane perception.

Shamans would have to have a very profound, emotional experience to Awaken. Their totem wouldn't necessarily seek them out (not obviously, that is); the person would simply have to have an experience related to the totem that they eventually embraced. For example, a soldier who fought a horrific battle to protect innocent lives might later discover Bear or Dog; a doctor who lost a loved one on the operating table might find Snake.

Physical adepts are another matter. Their Awakening should be a combination of both physical and mental duress. Since they didn't start off with their powers, it should ideally take tremendous effort to suddenly access their full potential. However, once they have started, it will be far easier to continue their advancement (i.e., buying Power Points for powers rather than initiation), because their training would focus more on harnessing further potential and using it, rather than elusive higher mysteries and secrets of the magical world.

First Steps

After Awakening, it should take some time to adjust to the fact that a person is suddenly able to feel things differently. For all but physical adepts, whenever the person isn't concentrating on something mundane, they may experience slips where they begin to astrally perceive. For a hermetic, it may be while they idly contemplate numerology or astrology in their heads; for shamans, moments of emotion and passion would cause it.

Regardless, the shock of seeing things differently should be profound. Also, there is the ever-present danger that astrally perceiving makes someone open to attack from astral beings. This can cause the character to begin avoiding places where spirits and spellcasters are known to frequent the Astral Plane, as well as places with high Background Count, or any place that feels "icky".

Dreams and nightmares may start to become more vivid, more real. If the Awakened person is a full magician, they may even start astrally projecting in their sleep. This, too, has it's usual dangers.

Eventually, a few things can happen. The Awakened person may start shutting down psychologically; they reject the world of magic, and ignore the strangeness until it can't be seen or felt anymore. This is what happens often, as the human mind, fragile on it's own, defends itself from the dangerous possibilities of magic.

The character may also go insane, choosing their own interpretation of reality, and unable to seperate the mundane and astral anymore. This may lead the character to some of the most dangerous practices, without any teachers, because they reinvent the techniques (though not always perfectly). Examples might be blood magic that requires the blood of some specific type of person (women, children, corporate execs, etc.), or toxic hermetics who call up elementals of radiation (fire), acid (water), poison (earth), and miasma (air).

Or, if the character is lucky, and their mind holds together (hopefully with help from friends and loved ones), they decide to embrace the new world they have discovered. That's when they start to really learn...

Learning The Ropes

If the character wants to develop, they need to train. On their own, this will be difficult; it can take years to decipher the meaning of a spell formula, or to figure out how to call up a spirit. Naturally, it's far easier to find an instructor, and to have them teach you.

For the hermetic, enrollment at a university or college is easy enough, though the cost can be high. There is normal tuition, textbooks, lab fees, insurance (in case the student accidentally damages something or someone), and other miscellaneous costs. However, the hermetic student isn't really beholden more than the required assignments; they simply show up on time, do the required work, and learn as they progress. They still have their free time, like any other college student. (To be fair, however, hermetic students are most easily compared to medical students. Long periods of study, with internships to skilled mages, and most "free" time is spent preparing for the next exam.)

Those wanting to pursue the shamanist route must find another shaman to help them. Normally, they seek a shaman whose totem appeals to them, although they may simply ask the shaman to point them in the right direction. Once the prospective apprentice has found a teacher, they begin learning the qualities of the totem they have decided to embrace. They learn rhythmic dances, chants, and other activities, all designed to induce altered states of consciousness in them. They also learn the moral and ethical philosophy of their totem, so that they may adjust their behavior accordingly. This time spent learning the way of the shaman is usually far from others, or at least from the character's home, so that old distractions and interruptions don't hamper the student.

Some may say that the way of the shaman is easier, but there is a major difference. Hermetics, though they may cost more and take longer, are unbound; they do what they want, and how they want. Shamans, on the other hand, are having a religious experience, one that will set the course of their lives forever once pursued. This means that most of those who Awaken later in life and become shamans are slightly fewer than those who study cryptic hermetic works trying to unlock the secrets of magic. In the sad reality of the Sixth Age, few people in the clockwork world of the corps have the sort of spiritually-profound moments that are required to Awaken a shaman.

Adepts, Aspected Magicians, and Others

Physical adepts have a slightly easier time learning on their own, though most find teachers to learn from. Their training is gruelling, designed to hammer the body and mind together into a perfect whole. Most don't make it; they may learn only the most rudimentary skill, but never achieve their full potential. Others become crippled, or even dead, trying to reach such a lofty goal. Those adepts who follow diverse paths may spontaneously Awaken to their powers, but such is rare.

Sorcerors are more common among hermetics, meaning it is easier to learn sorcery via the tried and true methods of hermetic magic than the empassioned means used by shamans. Of course, this is not always true; some shamanic sorcerors never delve into the world of spirits, content to simply let their totem guide their behavior, and boost the potential of thier spells.

Conjurers are more common to shamans than hermetics, as the intuitive nature of a shaman, and the primordial nature of the spirits summoned by them, make it easier to be a conjurer than for a hermetic (who must practice rigorous rituals to call even the smallest spirit). But the difference is slight; the ratio of hermetic and shamanic conjurers is fairly even.

Other traditions are more or less common, depending on the location and situation. Wuxing is common in the Orient, and is mostly identical to Western hermeticism; they produce more sorcerors than conjurers. The Orient also sees more adepts who follow the Magician's Way, using spells and adept powers in unison (like Shaolin monks, Japanese ninja, and others); there are a few Western examples, such as various Christian knightly orders that have arisen, but they are very few and far between.

Most of the more religious paths, like Shinto, Aborigine, Qabbalism, and such see slightly more incidents of spontaneous Awakening, simply because the framework of such faiths allow for more profound moments. The same is true of Western religions, like Druidism, Christianity, and various others; those who subscribe to the beliefs of such groups are more likely to have an experience in that framework than in any other. The ratio of full magicians to aspected ones, and of sorcerors to conjurers, depends mainly on the religion in question.

The elven nations normally don't see spontaneous Awakening to the Path of the Wheel; most of those with potential are sought out and trained early. It is unknown what would cause one to do so later, or if it is possible for a non-elf to suddenly begin walking one of the Paths.

The Mechanics

Note: These rules require the player and the GM to be very considerate of the game setting, and of the other players. For a character to suddenly develop these gifts should be a momentous occasion, but it should not necessarily outshine the lives of the other characters more than necessary. Also, the player shouldn't expect the GM to simply give in to their demands for an Awakened character; realistically, nobody in the SR universe can say for sure what would make someone Awaken late in life.

1. The player should inform the GM of their intention to Awaken their character. They should discuss the reasons for this; it is helpful if there has been a game event that would justify the character's sudden Awakening (acquiring an ancient tome of magical knowledge, death of a loved one, etc.).

2. The GM begins deducting Karma awards from the character after every session. This stops AFTER the character has Awakened, and the GM has collected sufficient Karma to equal the type of magician the character has become. (Note: this should ideally be based on the Build system in Shadowrun Companion, as has been stated in other posts. However, it should also be a gradual process

3. Character begins suffering through various phases of Awakening...

Phase 1: Character suffers minor distractions (slight, frequent headache at random; blurred vision; shivers like "someone walked over my grave"). -1 to all TN

Phase 2: Character suffers average distractions (slight, constant headache; etc.). -2 to TN. Every day, GM makes a Perception Test (6) for character; each success indicates the number of times the PC will astrally perceive for 1d6 seconds each. The GM determines under what conditions these occurances happen.

Phase 3: Character begins having trouble with seeing astral things randomly. Every day, GM makes Willpower Test for character. Base TN is 4, modified as follows:
+1 if living in Middle or better lifestyle
+1 if they spend more than an hour that day using a computer
+2 per point of Essence lost to cybernetic enhancement
-1 if living in Low or worse lifestyle
-1 if character spends more than an hour that day reading a hermetic library of any kind
-1 if character has spent more than 24 hours alone
-1 if character visits a significant area (GM’s discretion) *
-2 if character spends any time around any magically-active person **

*The area must be one of profound meaning to the character. It is insufficient to visit a monument, garden, or other such area; the place must have a personal meaning to the character. The grave of a friend or loved is sufficient for up to a year after their death.
**This bonus applies if a person is around that is of the same tradition the character is going to pursue. If not, then the modifier is -1 instead.

When the episode occurs, the PC fully shifts to astral perception, suffering all penalties for such. They can only shift back if they make a Willpower (6) test (with a -1 TN if someone tries to call their attention to something mundane). Note that character is open to astral attack at this point.

Additionally, if the character is going to have the ability to astrally project, then when they are unconscious for any reason (sleeping, Stun damage, etc.), then they will realize that they can do so. If they leave their body, it takes an Willpower (4) test to get back in it.

Phase 4: Character may make check every day to see if they Awaken. Roll Intelligence for hermetics, and Charisma for shamans, TN (9-Willpower). If no successes are rolled, character fails to Awaken. If all 1’s are rolled, character Awakens, but has been driven insane by the process, and is no longer playable (though the GM may use the character for their own purposes). Each success determines the character’s starting effective Magic rating (up to a max. of 6), which is then adjusted for Essence loss. Note that Essence loss can still destroy a prospective character’s ability to use magic; they follow any rules for “burnouts” that may exist.

7. If hermetic, they may enroll in classes for further training. They use the normal costs to learn skills (Sorcery, Conjuring, etc.), but multiply the time needed to learn by 1.5. To increase their Magic rating by 1, up to their maximum (adjusted for Essence loss), costs 5,000ny + 1,000ny per point, and takes an amount of time equal to triple that needed to raise an attribute of the same rating.

If shamanic, they must find a teacher. Treat this as searching for an item with Availability 20/1 month. The teacher normally requires the character to abandon most of their things for the duration of their training. Additionally, they must take a test for each ability, with a Base TN (10-each month of preparation); this represents the various ordeals and tasks required by the teacher to attune the character to their totem. To increase Magic Attribute to maximum, character must spend a month of training (meditation, vision quest, etc.) and make a Magic Test (5). They learn skills as normal, multiplying time needed to learn by 1.5.

Adepts may learn from a teacher. To be admitted by the teacher may require a test (GM’s perrogitive, but normally involves a contest of the character’s specific Way), or simply cost money. Either way, once admitted, the adept begins training. The learn up to their Magic rating in Power Points, at the rate of 1 point every 2 months. After that, training gets harder; they gain 1 point in Magic (and the Power Point that goes with it) every 4 months. If a power costs more than a point, they must begin training in it (i.e. spend 1 Power Point), and finish the training before they can use it (i.e. pay the debt).

Aspected magicians follow normal rules; they simply don’t have as much to learn in the long run.

This is as rough of a draft as it gets; I wrote this in three hours. Hopefully, you guys can alter it to suit your tastes. The only tweaks I can see are charging Karma for raising the Magic rating, but keep in mind that they are about to pay through the nose in Karma anyway. How? Because they have to learn all their new skills and ALL of their new spells from scratch, and that’s going to take lots and lots of Karma down the road.

In the end, it’s not actually worthwhile, in terms of power-gaming, to Awaken later in the campaign. It takes enormous amounts of time and Karma that will make most munchkins spit on the idea. However, the possibilities for role-playing are nearly endless, and could add a whole new dimension to the game.

Comments? Criticisms?
Synner
Very nice. I for one may use your rules in my current campaign. Only questions I have are:

Why not have Magic develop from 0 to 6 (or whatever the Essence cap) during the process instead of limiting it to results of rolls? I don't remember there being any examples of variable Magic ratings (except for Essence loss and Deadly Wounds) so why not have people start at 6 (minus any Essence loss effects)?

Why the 1.5 multiple on the learning time for Hermetics?
Eindrachen
QUOTE (Synner)
Very nice. I for one may use your rules in my current campaign. Only questions I have are:

Why not have Magic develop from 0 to 6 (or whatever the Essence cap) during the process instead of limiting it to results of rolls? I don't remember there being any examples of variable Magic ratings (except for Essence loss and Deadly Wounds) so why not have people start at 6 (minus any Essence loss effects)?

Why the 1.5 multiple on the learning time for Hermetics?

The variable Magic rating reflects the innate talent of the person - the knack they will have for it. If you notice, my particular rules would state that two people, who may be equal in most respects, may start off with different levels of talent for magic. It's kinda like the guy starting at 1 and the girl starting at 4; he will take longer to come into focus, she will get a head-start on developing her skills in sorcery and/or conjuring, and learning spells. However, you can alter this as you'd like to suit your fancy. Hell, make 'em start at 0 and work up from there.

The extra learning time applies to everybody (sorry if I forgot it), and reflects the learning curve for older folks. It is a real thing; try to teach a modern person of around 40, who spent their life in plumbing, how to work a computer. They just don't catch on as fast as a person 1/4 their age, or even just 1/2 their age. It's a small thing to remind the player that this isn't a "Wham, you're a full-fledged spell-slinger in a month" sort of deal. The character has to spend time learning something he never even knew he could.
moosegod
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Sure, you can go the SURGE route, but do you realize the chances? Roll Essence, TN 12.... Then roll 1d6, needing at least a 6 on the roll to get Astral Sight. Then he can ONLY learn Aura Reading and Enchanting, not Sorcery, Conjuring or any other Magical Skill.

I don't think that's what he's looking for. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx

But the Gm can "buy" these with 10 karma/point, like usual. Then you let the character develop his own magic.
Talia Invierno
Very nice consolidation, Eindrachen - especially for only three hours of work.

In-game Awakening to a random Magic rating up to 6 could also imply that all Awakenings begin low and gradually work their way up to the standard 6 (less Essence loss). The only difference then would be that pre-game Awakening has already covered that timeframe.

I like how you've circumvented the karmic debt, turning the cost into pre rather than post. I'd definitely prefer that method - am on the wrong end of a rather large karmic debt myself - but hadn't seen how to do it without also completely preplanning the event.

However, by giving the player the onus to approach the GM with the wish, player expectations are also created. If the GM chooses not to fulfill them (for whatever reason), frustration for both player and GM can easily result: a major reason why I'd prefer to leave the initial onus in the GM's hands, with the player choice to allow or not coming afterward.
Eindrachen
Very nice consolidation, Eindrachen - especially for only three hours of work.

Heh, thanks. I was wondering if someone was going to burn me for taking up all that space, but it seems I have pleased the masses...

In-game Awakening to a random Magic rating up to 6 could also imply that all Awakenings begin low and gradually work their way up to the standard 6 (less Essence loss). The only difference then would be that pre-game Awakening has already covered that timeframe.

Precisely. In nearly every role-playing game, there is assumed to have been a time before the start of the game that the PC has learned some fundamental skills and abilities related to their type. Street sammies, riggers, and similar types normally spent time doing small-time stuff to build up cash for their cyber and guns, along with building up their combat skills. Casters spent their time learning to cast spells, summon spirits, and deal with the astral.

I hate the ol' "Deus Ex Machina" stick for plot-progression in a campaign. It's not that having someone spontaneously Awaken isn't a good story; hell, it's probably one of the most moving and archtypical plots in fiction (i.e., the protagonist's awareness moving into new realms and whatnot).

But this process should be full of the rigors it would ideally involve. The Karmic debt is that method. In order to blossom into Awakening, the PC must continue living out their lives, and dealing with the fact that they are walking a strange, new path that could lead to madness or even death. It is a risk that they must endure, if they wish to witness the possibility of Awakening.

I like how you've circumvented the karmic debt, turning the cost into pre rather than post. I'd definitely prefer that method - am on the wrong end of a rather large karmic debt myself - but hadn't seen how to do it without also completely preplanning the event.

If a PC has some loose Karma lying around, the GM might allow them to dump 10-15 Karma to initiate the process of Awakening. Otherwise, the GM should do it as he/she sees fit.

However, by giving the player the onus to approach the GM with the wish, player expectations are also created. If the GM chooses not to fulfill them (for whatever reason), frustration for both player and GM can easily result: a major reason why I'd prefer to leave the initial onus in the GM's hands, with the player choice to allow or not coming afterward.

There is a very basic reason I left part of this on the player: the player has some say in the development of their character, at least equal to that of the GM. That is why it is very important that both talk with one another and be frank about what they want out of the game.

Also, the player may decide that the character doesn't really have the focus, the inner fortitude, to find the spark of awareness that could help them Awaken. In the context of the Shadowrun setting, it happens all the time; there have always been comments about how some never Awaken, and others do so but psychologically shut down.

It's not fair for a GM to withhold Karma if the player doesn't think their character is ready to Awaken, and wants to spend it on other skills. In fact, that rationale alone makes the character less likely to Awaken; by spending more time developing mundane skills (Pistols, Negotiation, Car), they focus more on the real world, and less and less on magic.

If I were a GM, and I decided that I wanted the PC to have the opportunity, I wouldn't simply start deducting Karma. First, I'd talk with the player about what they see their character doing, and whether or not they'd like a chance for something... weird, something strange to happen. If the player is receptive, then I'd simply nod and arrange for things to happen, based on what I knew of them.

Naturally, the choice of hermetic, shamanic, or adept would stay mine, but I'd let the player generally feel out anything extra (aspected paths they might prefer, specific traditions/religions they might be inclined to follow).

Of course, I tend to be a slightly more democratic GM (somewhat; I can still beat 'em with a stick when necessary), but the system is easily altered to give the GM full and total control.
JongWK
The feedback so far has been outstanding, thank you all and keep it coming! smile.gif

I'll momentarily go S-OT: following the Aztlaner idea, what if the character who "sacrifices" himself is already Awakened? (like an Eagle Shaman) Would a level of initation be enough of a reward?

Just wondering...
Talia Invierno
I was wondering if someone was going to burn me for taking up all that space
- Eindrachen

No, that would be me wink.gif (I have something of a general reputation for this.)
There is a very basic reason I left part of this on the player: the player has some say in the development of their character, at least equal to that of the GM. That is why it is very important that both talk with one another and be frank about what they want out of the game.

Yes, but Awakening - like goblinisation/race - is one of those things which the player is told is an absolute pick at the beginning of the game. To leave it open to the point where the player can suggest to the GM that they want to Awaken in-game (without having spent the initial bps for it) has the potential of creating one heck of a loophole around the validity of that initial choice. At the very least, players who don't think to mention this desire to the GM - thinking that the initial choice was in fact absolute - might feel burned.

Really, though, I think we agree in the outline: we both think it should be agreed to by player and GM alike. (I do think that the choice of which path would also be one of those with which the player should agree, however.) We just disagree in who should initiate.

One alternative, touching on the rigours etc. of Awakening, might be that each and every PC has Awakening potentially within them. (In-game karma mechanic: the GM secretly subtracts 1 from every karma award right from the beginning, setting it aside against this possibility. I don't know - would you think of this as fair, considering the possibilities?) All it takes is an appropriate act of sacrifice/insight/shock ...
I'll momentarily go S-OT: following the Aztlaner idea, what if the character who "sacrifices" himself is already Awakened? (like an Eagle Shaman) Would a level of initation be enough of a reward?
- JongWK

A level of initiation would be basic, possibly with knowledge of a special metamagic unique to the shaman - possibly an appropriate critter power, or a new "innate" spell with Force linked to Magic level (per the SR2 Companion magical edge), or a physad ability (especially perception).

Me, I personally would probably add something more if it's truly a sacrifice situation in which the outcome seems inevitable: perhaps (without cost) a spirit similar in its powers to an ally, but free-willed? (It would have all the powers of an ally and perhaps also those of an appropriate type of spirit; but it is clearly an NPC "buddy" contact rather than an utterly obedient ally, and it wouldn't stick around if the PC breaks the implied contract ... possibly at a cost to the PC.)

Eagles and a few other soaring birds already have a place within the existing mythos, so it's unlikely that the shaman would discover another totem/passion had set its hooks in him or her. It's not impossible, however - in which case I'd say the bonuses and limitations would be cumulative: the shaman now follows two powers, and subsequent personality and any strictures should reflect both of those powers.
Eindrachen
Yes, but Awakening - like goblinisation/race - is one of those things which the player is told is an absolute pick at the beginning of the game.  To leave it open to the point where the player can suggest to the GM that they want to Awaken in-game (without having spent the initial bps for it) has the potential of creating one heck of a loophole around the validity of that initial choice.  At the very least, players who don't think to mention this desire to the GM - thinking that the initial choice was in fact absolute - might feel burned.

Indeed. I would, if it were me, have the mechanics of it on-hand, and never allude that it was possible, or that I was fully prepared for it. And it would be a one-time offer for the player, and maybe only one offer for that campaign.

Really, though, I think we agree in the outline: we both think it should be agreed to by player and GM alike.  (I do think that the choice of which path would also be one of those with which the player should agree, however.)  We just disagree in who should initiate.

Hey, we all have our views. I tried to leave the system as open-ended as possible, just for that reason, but detailed just enough so the GM needn't do more work than necessary.

Hell, roll a random die or two after every traumatic event; a given result can mean it's time to do it, without the player's say-so. That'll shake up the others some, I think...

One alternative, touching on the rigours etc. of Awakening, might be that each and every PC has Awakening potentially within them.  (In-game karma mechanic: the GM secretly subtracts 1 from every karma award right from the beginning, setting it aside against this possibility.  I don't know - would you think of this as fair, considering the possibilities?)  All it takes is an appropriate act of sacrifice/insight/shock ...

Hmm. I would determine if the event has a chance of triggering the Awakening first, then start taking Karma out for it to go on and happen. After all, there shouldn't be any definitive answer to why some folks Awaken and some don't; otherwise, the corps would've already put people through nine kinds of hell trying to trigger it in various ways. The random way makes it as mysterious as anything in the world of magic can be, and, in my humble opinion, should be.

- JongWK

Initiation wouldn't be out of the question at all. If you look over the rules, destroying a magical threat can be considered a quest for such purposes. This would certainly fall in that category.

However, you could take it a step further, and allow something really special: the character may learn the sacrifice metamagic technique, but can only apply it to themselves, and to willing victims. Naturally, this is a big decision; normally, sacrificing can only be learned from an initiatory group, or not at all. But if the PC in question has been role-played really well, and such role-playing has really added much entertainment to the game, it wouldn't be too unbalanced with the above limitations.

If a totem is going to teach this, I would say that it should be an appropriate one; any totem into self-sacrifice and martyrism would definitely be likely to teach someone how to give up some of their own health (or even their life) to empower themselves.

Just keep watch on how it is used, and don't let things go too overboard. Heck, just let them learn any other metamagic feat, and be done with it, if you don't want to bother with the rest...

Me, I  personally would probably add something more if it's truly a sacrifice situation in which the outcome seems inevitable: perhaps (without cost) a spirit similar in its powers to an ally, but free-willed?  (It would have all the powers of an ally and perhaps also those of an appropriate type of spirit; but it is clearly an NPC "buddy" contact rather than an utterly obedient ally, and it wouldn't stick around if the PC breaks the implied contract ... possibly at a cost to the PC.)

Not a bad idea. Perhaps one that resembled a self-sacrificing totem, maybe like Phoenix.

Eagles and a few other soaring birds already have a place within the existing mythos, so it's unlikely that the shaman would discover another totem/passion had set its hooks in him or her.  It's not impossible, however - in which case I'd say the bonuses and limitations would be cumulative: the shaman now follows two powers, and subsequent personality and any strictures should reflect both of those powers.

Again, Phoenix comes to mind, as does a few other totems in Magic In The Shadows.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012