> References in Runner Havens, Box Office Top 5
emo samurai
post Feb 17 2007, 09:12 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

I know what #2-5 are referencing.

"I Hate It Here" is referencing Transmetropolitan, the greatest comic EVAR except for maybe a bajillion other awesome ones.

"A Friend in the Shadows" references "Babylon 5," which is cemented by the "M.R. Morden" name for the creator.

"Ninja Princess" references Fatal Fury, since it's made by "M. Shiranui." The M stands for Mai, of course.

"The Pleasure Dome" references "Smash TV."

But what the hell is "Goodbye My Beloved?"

This is all on the top left corner or page 78.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Thain
post Feb 17 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,652

Farewell, My Concubine

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Feb 17 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #3

Dragon

Seriously? I've seen that movie, like, 50 times at the video store. Do you recommend that I watch it?

+Quote Post
TheUrbanMonkey
post Feb 18 2007, 02:20 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 10,192

There's also a firefly reference, when talking about one of the pirate crews that operates off of Hong Kong. Actually, it's more theft than reference, as it's nearly word-for-word Zoe's description of Reavers to Simon in the pilot episode. Don't have a page reference, as my book is at home and I am not, but just look for it.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Feb 18 2007, 02:52 AM
Post #5

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (emo samurai)
"I Hate It Here" is referencing Transmetropolitan, the greatest comic EVAR except for maybe a bajillion other awesome ones.

I wonder if the same story was set in any other time period if DSers would be ejaculating all over themselves about it. It is a great comic, but none of the futuristic stuff wasn't already done in Futurama, and yet I don't see people flipping out over that show.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Feb 18 2007, 02:59 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (TheUrbanMonkey)
There's also a firefly reference, when talking about one of the pirate crews that operates off of Hong Kong. Actually, it's more theft than reference, as it's nearly word-for-word Zoe's description of Reavers to Simon in the pilot episode. Don't have a page reference, as my book is at home and I am not, but just look for it.

I saw that and was deeply amused. *checks* It's on page 50, referencing the Hell Thunder pirate crew. The info is from Netcat, a technomancer.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Feb 18 2007, 04:54 AM
Post #7

Dragon

QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Feb 17 2007, 03:12 PM)

I wonder if the same story was set in any other time period if DSers would be ejaculating all over themselves about it. It is a great comic, but none of the futuristic stuff wasn't already done in Futurama, and yet I don't see people flipping out over that show.

GAH GRAMMAR

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Feb 18 2007, 05:38 AM
Post #8

Prime Runner

Member No.: 7,665

QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Feb 17 2007, 03:12 PM)

Transmetropolitan: 1997
Futurama: 1999

So unless you mean by "already done" that Futurama had gone back in time in order to tell all of Warren Ellis' jokes first...

Yeah, Futurama is a great show, but to a big extent it's "Basically just Transmet cleaned up for TV." Transmet came first and Futurama came second, which is why Transmet is groundbreaking and Futurama is just a really great show.

-Frank

+Quote Post
SL James
post Feb 18 2007, 06:25 AM
Post #9

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Transmet is not groundbreaking.

The story has been done before, and the setting didn't exactly spring out of Ellis's forehead fully-born. There is almost nothing original about it, and yet people swear that Ellis is a genius for, uh... something. It baffles me how people can be so impressed by a comic that itself was based on (or ripped off) any number of sources. It's overrated. Amusing, but overrated.

The sad thing to me is that no one seems to give a damn about the actual story (the same thing seems to apply to GitS:SAC, although in that case too many people can't seem to wrap their heads around the intrigue even when it's rather obvious). It's "ooh, shiny toys! Cursing! Yay!" Not, as I said, it's original. But it's more important than bowel disruptors and anti-social dickery. The setting is just ridiculous, and if anything Futurama at least just showed it for being as stupid as it is. So you know what? It's just a matter of Futurama doing it better.

Which is just more sad that something that is, "basically just Transmet cleaned up for TV" is better than the oh-so-genius tome of Transmet.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Feb 18 2007, 07:15 AM
Post #10

Prime Runner

Member No.: 7,665

Oh, I'm not saying that you have to like Transmetropolitan, or that you can't like Futurama better. I'm just saying that you can't say that Futurama "already did" anything that Transmetropolitan did - on acocunt of Transmet coming out first by several years.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Feb 18 2007, 02:20 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Oh, for the love of Ghost. SL James, you are literally speaking out of your ass. As much as that may count as a valid opinion in some circles, all you've done is make bile-filled and unsupported, inflammatory posts. Whether or not you care for Transmetropolitan personally, it is more than an Hunter S. Thompson-in-the-weird-future book with an evil-Kennedy plot. It may not be great literature, but as the primary purpose is to entertain, it doesn't have to be. Transmetropolitan was a great comic book series. Period.

+Quote Post
ornot
post Feb 18 2007, 03:08 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

I personally really like Transmetropolitan and Futurama. I don't really feel that they have a great deal in common other than exhibiting the same kind of dystopian future tropes.

I tend to feel that the setting and character development in Transmetropolitan is more advanced than in Futurama; but, honestly, how much character development can you expect in an episodic cartoon, the majority of episodes of which are expected to stand alone.

As for Transmetropolitan not springing fully-born out of Ellis' forehead, can you say that of any work of fiction? You might as well ask why SR fanbois cream over William Gibson, when he based his work on (ripped off) any number of sources.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Feb 18 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

If you want to avoid the shiny toys provided in the GiTS shows, read the novels. They're pretty good, and are written by the same head writers of the series so there's some consistency... unlike well *koff*starwars*koff*novels*koff*

+Quote Post
fool
post Feb 18 2007, 09:25 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,316

Seriously? I've seen that movie, like, 50 times at the video store. Do you recommend that I watch it?

Farewell my concubine is an excellent and heart wrenching movie, i highly recommend it. It is also "seious" film not sci-fi or comedy, but a psychological exploration of the motives and actions of a pair of men living through the most difficult of times.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Feb 18 2007, 10:37 PM
Post #15

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
If you want to avoid the shiny toys provided in the GiTS shows, read the novels.

..that doesn't really help to evade the toys, because Shirow really likes toys... and the resulting philosophies, indeed.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Feb 18 2007, 11:27 PM
Post #16

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Feb 18 2007, 08:20 AM)
Oh, for the love of Ghost. SL James, you are literally speaking out of your ass.

When you misuse the word "literally," you fuck it up so badly that you use it in the exact opposite meaning of the word. I'll give David Cross props for that observation, but ... Wow. From a published author no less. How impressive.

But I am sick and goddamn tired of people treating Transmet like it's the greatest thing in the world, especially people who come across it eight, nine, now coming on ten years after the fact and who suddenly think Warren Ellis is Internet Jesus because of it. As it is, every time someone mentions its originality, I think of the image that was ripped off from the Kent State massacre in issue 57 (page 11). Yes... Original. That's the word that comes to mind. Groundbreaking, my ass.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Feb 18 2007, 11:51 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

QUOTE (SL James @ Feb 18 2007, 11:27 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Feb 18 2007, 08:20 AM)
Oh, for the love of Ghost. SL James, you are literally speaking out of your ass.

When you misuse the word "literally," you fuck it up so badly that you use it in the exact opposite meaning of the word. I'll give David Cross props for that observation, but ... Wow. From a published author no less. How impressive.

Shit only comes out of one place, and you haven't type anything but.

But I am sick and goddamn tired of people treating Transmet like it's the greatest thing in the world, especially people who come across it eight, nine, now coming on ten years after the fact and who suddenly think Warren Ellis is Internet Jesus because of it. As it is, every time someone mentions its originality, I think of the image that was ripped off from the Kent State massacre in issue 57 (page 11). Yes... Original. That's the word that comes to mind. Groundbreaking, my ass.

I never said it was the greatest thing in the world, but pull your head out of your ass for a moment and consider for a moment that maybe everyone else sees merit in the text because it has some. No, most of the elements aren't original, but what is? How many fucking kids in American high schools even know about the Kent State shootings, or Hunter S. Thompson?

+Quote Post
Xenith
post Feb 19 2007, 12:11 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,361

Futurama is a funny show (my favorite is when Bender meets "God"), and I've not read the Transmet comic, but you know what? I'm not going to bash because I've not read it. And the whole dystopian future comedy shtick isn't original. So what? That doesn't make it any less goddamn funny.

All of you need to chill. 8)

+Quote Post
Thain
post Feb 19 2007, 01:04 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,652

Can this thread, which started out on a decent topic, just be locked now?

Warren Ellis, it would seem, shot SL James's puppy. I don't see why it matters, but this thread is dead.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Feb 19 2007, 01:41 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

QUOTE (TheUrbanMonkey)

Well I'll be damned.

I had no idea what you were talking about so I went and grabbed the book. You're right, though that comment was stuck in by editing, it seems, since it's not in my drafts!

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Feb 19 2007, 02:08 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

I would like to something witty and orignal now.

Sadly, I can't think of anything.

I don't know transmet. Futurama I do know, and loved it before it got boring...

One series based on comics I do love, and that's Jeremiah. First season, anyway. Like you all know, JMS produced it (John Michael Straczinsky, who made the Babylon 5 series, which every real SF fan also love :P. BTW, a new Babylon 5 movie is coming up).

As someone who was forced to watch some Parts of Beverly Hill 90210 by his girlfriend, it was great to see Jason Priestly beeing blown up in Jeremiah 8). It's dystopian, but nowhere near cyberpunk ;).

Oh, and I'm reading the Hongkong part of RH right now (well, almost right now ;)), and I think Demonseed Elite did a pretty good job.

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Feb 19 2007, 06:16 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

QUOTE (fool)

Farewell my concubine is an excellent and heart wrenching movie, i highly recommend it. It is also "seious" film not sci-fi or comedy, but a psychological exploration of the motives and actions of a pair of men living through the most difficult of times.

Not bad, but don't forget this guy. ;)

"The Pleasure Dome" references "Smash TV."

Eugene Jarvis, the "director" of the film, was one of the minds behind the game. The original reference is from this poem.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Feb 19 2007, 09:54 PM
Post #23

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Just to place everything in context, we're talking about a lame reference in section which has virtually no original thought to it, no interesting aspects to the setting, and is basically 80 pages of white noise that is more useless to me than Prime Runners. So I can't exactly take anything regarding the Seattle chapter of RH seriously, let alone this specific piece of transparently lazy writing.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 19 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (Xain)
Warren Ellis, it would seem, shot SL James's puppy.

you're are kinda missing what SL James is saying, if that's what you're getting out of it. i've spent quite a bit of time discussing Transmet with SL James, and hate isn't the vibe i got off him towards it. he's just saying--as Ellis himself said, during the arc with the revived 20th-century chick--that the tech isn't the important part of the story. people get hung up on the technology introduced in Transmet, but 99% of it is just (intentionally, on Ellis' part) retarded. guns that induce diarrhea? pheromones that fill your brain with the latest newsflashes? gene-splicing alien DNA? if that's the stuff in Transmet that stands out to a given reader, then that reader is really, really missing a hell of a lot.

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Feb 19 2007, 11:46 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

QUOTE (SL James)
Just to place everything in context, we're talking about a lame reference in section which has virtually no original thought to it, no interesting aspects to the setting, and is basically 80 pages of white noise that is more useless to me than Prime Runners. So I can't exactly take anything regarding the Seattle chapter of RH seriously, let alone this specific piece of transparently lazy writing.

“Criticism is an indirect form of self-boasting”
- Emmet Fox

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:00 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.