IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Regrets, Was fourth edition a good business move?
Magusinvictus
post Apr 4 2007, 08:27 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,382

Hi

This is not intended as a disparaging question, so please don’t anyone take it the wrong way…

To my mind, the production rate of fourth edition books seems to be quite slow, certainly when compared to the third edition. I was wondering, does anybody know if Fanpro are in trouble; does anybody feel that maybe they are now regretting the decision to make the move to a new edition, rather than sticking to, and further developing/supporting, the third?

Anyway, no offence intended. Thanks for your comments!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dread Polack
post Apr 4 2007, 08:33 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,822

I'm not quite an insider, though I used to work for a major game company, and my opinion is:

Really, the whole RPG business is in a terrible slump, and even though SR4 is chugging along pretty slowly, it's probably still making money and doing better than a lot of other games. The only RPGs that seem to be putting stuff out faster are D&D and the HERO system (although I'm sure there are more I'm not following). Given the difficulties of the industry, it seems to still be afloat. I had a lot more frustration with the Lord of the Rings RPG a couple years ago, where the company was being a lot less honest about what was going on.

I'm still hopeful, but in this business, it could choke at any slight bump in the market.

Dread Polack

+Quote Post
Glayvin34
post Apr 4 2007, 08:46 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,275

I recently went looking on Yahoo! Groups for an SR4 game, and found only SR3 games. So now I'm thinking that SR4 as a complete game is still in a "pre-release" status. A few of the books are available, but not enough to play. If you like Shadowrun, play SR3 for now.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Apr 4 2007, 08:50 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

While new books may be slower to release than many diehards would like, the core rules has sold through 3 complete print runs in 18 months, with a fourth on its way to retailers. In the current marketplace, there's nothing from a comparably sized game company with that kind of sell-through.

In terms of actual sales, the majority of any game lines profit are in core book sales, not supplement sales. (Only a percentage of players buy supplements. The majority of players buy the core rules.)

So, looking at things just from a financial perspective, fourth edition was a brilliant move.

+Quote Post
2bit
post Apr 4 2007, 09:15 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,526

SR4 got a snazzy award at the con too, iirc. . . so beaucoup kudos.

+Quote Post
Wraithshadow
post Apr 4 2007, 09:21 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 11,358

I'd say that Fanpro's got a few concerns out there- first is the market as a whole. There's not exactly a boom, as Dread Polack mentions. Further, you've got the debate about 3 vs 4- is the new system as good as the old system? People tend to favor what they know over what's unknown. In a sense, the different editions of Shadowrun are competing with one another.

Now, with all that said, I think Fanpro's probably doing the smart thing in keeping print runs small while having pdfs open for purchase. If they're on a tight budget, it makes sense to make what you think you can sell, keep your money doing things rather than sitting in a warehouse. I think the lack of books on shelves might discourage people from picking up the game, but not as much as it might back when the shelf was the only marketplace. Now you can get online, track down a copy, and have it at your door in 2-3 days, or download the file and be reading it in minutes.

Also, there's the upside of controversy- not only in difference of editions, but in the FPS game. How many Shadowrun fans are going to play it because it is Shadowrun, and then go off on how it's not right- that Shadowrun's so much better? How many people are they going to want to show this fact off to?

Me, personally, I peeked in on a discussion of the FPS elseforum, and it had gotten into 3 vs 4. The discussion about 4 was enough that I went looking. I had seen Shadowrun back in 1st edition and had a copy of 2nd sitting around, never used. Between the discussion and a friend's request for opinions on what game to run next, I started thinking about Shadowrun more. I also got thinking about what I'd heard about 4, the fact it addressed the changes in technology that have taken place since the game was first invented. And after prodding the 'Net for a while, I finally picked up a copy. Here I am.

Controversy got me in the door, innovation made me stick around. Not too bad, ne?

+Quote Post
ThreeGee
post Apr 4 2007, 09:30 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,858

A few of the books are available, but not enough to play.

Amazing, do you really believe this?

I've just completed my single most complex and detailed SR campaign in 17 years of playing, with just the Core rules and, later, Street Magic.

Yeah, I could do with Augmentation, Arsenal and Emergence, but they aren't necessary to play. If I really need something that might appear in those books I make it up. We might have to retcon later but that's the nature of RPG'ing. You never have the entire world at you fingertips.

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Apr 4 2007, 09:44 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,116

QUOTE (ThreeGee)

Had the same thought. The main book is crammed full of damned near everything that the sourcebooks brought to the game over years. Frankly, I don't know what the hell the new sourcebooks are going to introducing. =)

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Apr 4 2007, 09:49 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

IMO, SR4 is the most complete shadowrun core book yet!

Considering the state of the business, I'd say SR4 is doing quite well, and I find the rules better in most points than any of the previous editions (I've played SR since it came out).

The only thing I've found it necessary to tweak is the skill hard caps - I simply raised them from 6(7) to 9(10) and it runs beautifully.

The only thing SR4 'lacks' is worldhistory between 2065-2070, and further rules and backstory on technomancers - the vehicle and drone department could be slightly more fleshed out too - but are any of these necessary for play? Not really.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Apr 4 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #10

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Yeah, the SR4 book has *everything* you need to play. More is always nice, but it's surely not necessary to play. ;)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Apr 4 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #11

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Judging by the influx of posters that came into the forums with 4th edition and the rapid pace of reprints, I think SR4 was a damn good move. But I may be wrong. Maybe Adam (assuming he has seen figures) will come by and enlighten us.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Apr 4 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #12

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Member No.: 7,667

Company still in business? Good move.

Company out of Business? Bad move.

Easy to figure out the answer.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 4 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

well, in between, there's "company going out of business", "company not making as much as it could be", etcetera. i'm not saying FanPro's doing poorly, but "good move" is not pass/fail.

+Quote Post
Glayvin34
post Apr 4 2007, 11:30 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,275

QUOTE (ThreeGee)

It depends on the type of gamers that you can find to play with. The folks in my group are used to showing up at a game session and going through books to find more rules to apply to their character.

With SR4 the way it is, there are a limited number of character builds for each position in the team: Combat, Astral, Social and Matrix-oriented. Also, most characters start off on day one with their most often-used equipment. We found that stunball was the best spell to use, the Ares Alpha is the best gun to use, the GM-Nissan Patrol-1 blows the doors off all the other vehicles, and the GM-Nissan Doberman is the best drone (and a bargain!), hands down. There's little to no upgradability for these aforementioned aspects without playing for at least a year in RL.

The SR4 book and Street Magic are without a doubt the best set of books I've seen, but there are limited options, and in absence of an amazing GM, the characters don't have a lot of places to go. Street Sams gradually upgrade their cyberware, but the costs increase exponentially so they get everything they expect to have early in the game. Same thing with mages, they have most of what they're going to have at character creation.

What makes the other games I play (WoD and DnD) so fun and durable is that there are places for moderately advanced characters to go without having to increase their XP/ Karma or money by an order of magnitude. We went through a few dozen SR sessions and the Adept and Mage initiated once, and the other characters saved up cash for Synaptic Boosters, but never got close.

Granted, some great RPing could easily make up for this, but I don't have any great RPers in my group, so I'm out of luck until a new book or two comes out.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Apr 5 2007, 01:44 AM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

Having played through all 4 editions now, I would say that on the whole 4th is doing quite well, including release rate. I remember waiting ages for new books to come out in Second Edition. The 4th edition core book is probably the best stand alone core rule book since First Edition, only with significantly less wacky dice systems. The line seems to be selling well. It is a significantly different game than 3rd edition, and right now seems less complete, but lacking around a decade of supplemental material can make it seem that way. The supplements that have released so far do seem to be a bit more solid than the ones put out for previous editions.

Then again the real test is: Do Adam's paychecks clear or bounce? :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Blade
post Apr 5 2007, 06:50 AM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

From what I gathered, in France, the 4th edition was a really good move : a lot of 3rd edition players bought it and a lot of 1st or 2nd edition players who dropped the game a few years ago, or players who were interested by Shadowrun but never gave it a shot because of the "complex rules" went for the 4th edition too.

+Quote Post
ThreeGee
post Apr 5 2007, 07:47 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

The supplements that have released so far do seem to be a bit more solid than the ones put out for previous editions.

And properly bound! At least with this edition it doesn't look like the pages are going to start falling out after a couple of months.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Apr 5 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

QUOTE (Glayvin34)
With SR4 the way it is, there are a limited number of character builds for each position in the team: Combat, Astral, Social and Matrix-oriented. Also, most characters start off on day one with their most often-used equipment. We found that stunball was the best spell to use, the Ares Alpha is the best gun to use, the GM-Nissan Patrol-1 blows the doors off all the other vehicles, and the GM-Nissan Doberman is the best drone (and a bargain!), hands down. There's little to no upgradability for these aforementioned aspects without playing for at least a year in RL

Then I have to say your players may be used to going through books for rules, but they are not good at it. ;)

Have you seen a possession based mage who picked up channelling and uses a spirit to turn him in to an axe wielding death machine? A dual wielding gun bunny? An adept focused on wuxia? Someone abusing the Power Throw rules? A damage sponge? The spirit master?

Those are off the top of my head. To say that there are a limited number of builds means that your players haven't really explored the system.

The Alpha is the best gun for doing maximum dice of damage in a straight forward fight, perhaps.

But there are so many other ways to do it. If you're only taking on large groups of corpsec in relatively open areas, sure, you only need an Alpha. I've found that there are a lot of other circumstances that come up often, and the Alpha is often not a great choice. Personally, I'm rather more fond of a dual-wielding machine pistol expert. The Alpha may do 1-3d more damage per shot, but that's not necessarily the point. If I'm getting twice as many shots, or I'm able to use two short bursts when you can only do one? That makes a difference too.

There aren't a lot of *explicit* builds in the two books. But there are a ton of things you can key in on, and build off, and make really amusing characters. The marshmellow throwing adept, for instance, is amazingly useful.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Apr 5 2007, 02:30 PM
Post #19

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (ThreeGee)
And properly bound! At least with this edition it doesn't look like the pages are going to start falling out after a couple of months.

I still get the "huhwhaaa?" look in my brain when I see people mention the binding. The only books I ever had trouble with were a few of the old FASA books (a core book and two others, can't remember what they were all the sudden, so they must not be used much). With my Fanpro SR books, I've never had a single page let go or anything of the kind.

I'd say maybe I'm just lucky, but I have friends that have had the exact same experience. Are other people just really hard on books? :)

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Apr 5 2007, 02:37 PM
Post #20

jacked in

Member No.: 463

My older SR books are all in good condition as well. :)

But I still prefer hardcovers. ;)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Apr 5 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #21

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (the_dunner)
While new books may be slower to release than many diehards would like, the core rules has sold through 3 complete print runs in 18 months, with a fourth on its way to retailers. In the current marketplace, there's nothing from a comparably sized game company with that kind of sell-through.

That's not actually that useful a piece of information as one might think, without knowing the size of the print runs.

It's be interesting to see the numbers of individual units sold over time, especially compared to Third Edition sales rates.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Apr 5 2007, 02:57 PM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
That's not actually that useful a piece of information as one might think, without knowing the size of the print runs.

It's be interesting to see the numbers of individual units sold over time, especially compared to Third Edition sales rates.

This has been mentioned several times before. Print runs are comparable with FASA and FanPro print runs for equivalent 3rd edition products and have sold out faster - this in a much slower market. Current slippage in the schedule has little to do with the success 4th edition has enjoyed; even with the meager releases of the past couple of years its rated by various distributors as one of the best selling RPG lines in the past couple of years.

+Quote Post
Luddite
post Apr 5 2007, 06:10 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 11,195

Honestly, I love the mechanics of 4th edition and the fact that FanPro included far more information in the Core book than usual. On the other hand, they may have shot themselves in the foot supplement-wise. In previous editions you needed pretty much all of the major supplements to play a character of the affected type, in 4th, not so much. This may equal smaller supplement sales, who knows.

Where I really think FanPro really dropped the ball is the plotline. Five years in the Sixth World is like two lifetimes, and I think that FanPro would have been better off using the huge horkin events that took place between the end of the SR3 "era" and the beginning of the SR4 one as grist for adventure and campaign supplements, rather than background. Just my :nuyen: 2

+Quote Post
knasser
post Apr 5 2007, 06:14 PM
Post #24

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

I think it's hard to dispute the 4th edition being a good move. It's a big improvement on 3rd edition and both the core book and the two main supplements so far are extremely high quality.

But the question that matters is what's going to happen next?

+Quote Post
ThreeGee
post Apr 5 2007, 06:21 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

But I still prefer hardcovers.

Re. Binding, it was the 2nd edition hardcover core rules I was particluarly talking about. Pages started to detach within weeks of buying the bloody thing.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:25 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.