IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I want to make a system for my characters..., To exchange money for karma.
YQM
post Apr 18 2007, 08:45 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,471

Can anything think of a ratio or scaling ratio that would allow people to exchange money for karma but not so much that they level themselves to high to quickly?

(I want this for the mages, technomancers and adepts in my game who sometimes feel that they have no use for money and get bored with the game.)

Edit:This is in the wrong place, sorry, could a mod move this please?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Apr 18 2007, 08:51 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

This thread needs moved to the SR4 forum.

+Quote Post
YQM
post Apr 18 2007, 07:57 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 11,471

Yes could someone please move it so I could get some help lol.

+Quote Post
Dranem
post Apr 19 2007, 07:04 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 7,975

Query: Why don't you just start this thread in the SR4 forums?

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post May 14 2007, 06:55 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

In any case, I think the answer is "no". Letting people buy karma is usually a bad idea. You don't want people to get karma. You want to give out as little as is possible. Too much karma makes your game implode. If players claim that they have all this money that they have no use for accuse them of failing to role play. Ask them who would possibly be upset that they're sitting on more money than they have a use for. Tell them that their character is allowed to blow it all at the bar.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post May 14 2007, 07:41 AM
Post #6

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

You know, that totally depends on how much Karma and Money you give out usually, so why not give us some figures? :)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
SinN
post Jun 1 2007, 07:36 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,237

QUOTE (YQM)
Can anything think of a ratio or scaling ratio that would allow people to exchange money for karma but not so much that they level themselves to high to quickly?

Well in my group I allow either 1 million nuyen for 100 karma, (not added to the karma pool/street cred ofcourse) or 5 thousand per point. Of course they're are limits due to a charactor who came into a large sum of money recently.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jun 1 2007, 07:43 PM
Post #8

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Old thread, but moved anyway since it's popped back up again

We don't always spot all of these misplaced threads, so if aynone needs one relocated because they accidentally posted in the wrong area, please PM eidolon or my self.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Jun 1 2007, 07:54 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,934

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
In any case, I think the answer is "no". Letting people buy karma is usually a bad idea. You don't want people to get karma. You want to give out as little as is possible. Too much karma makes your game implode. If players claim that they have all this money that they have no use for accuse them of failing to role play. Ask them who would possibly be upset that they're sitting on more money than they have a use for. Tell them that their character is allowed to blow it all at the bar.

the problem is not a player failing to roleplay, its certain characters are karma driven and certain characters are money driven.
Mages, phys ad, technomancer, they are all karma driven in a campaign I played in the technomancer ended up purchasing a commlink and loading it up with programs instead of making complex forms, and turned into a hacker instead because the karma just wasn't there.
in a game a run I won't allow a character to purchase karma but if they give away money to charity...say 20,000¥ I'll give them 4 karma for it.
its not a purchase, its a gamble. that way the character can't loop hole into powered oblivion and they also feel like the world is a living breathing entity, I also never speak a word about the charity giving because I also dish out extra karma for being "good" making the hard moral choice because its the right thing to do.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jun 1 2007, 08:37 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

Copy pasted from another thread I'm in here.

....And finally I'm a fan of cash to Karma. That isn't in the current rulebook I don't think. But the idea is that by living it up or whatever they can get a little extra karma. You'll want to decide how to use it in your campaign. Currently I give a +1 karma bonus for each level of lifestyle a runner pays for over "low" in a month. Note I don't make them purchase a lifestyle par se. If they're the mystic minimalist sort maybe they spend their money at a lodge on very expensive mystic meditation candles and crystals and teachers to aid them in their journey of internal discovery. Maybe another runner lives in a hole in the wall but after a windfall blows huge piles of nuyen that month out partying every night. Often I'll spend a little time RPing this stuff with them.

I like this not just because it keeps them greedy but it also allows them to role play their lives and develop their character. Plus is it really realistic that runners wouldn't blow their dough on stuff? Without something like this you're just punishing anyone who portrays their character appropriatly.

For this thread I'll comment on why I think that's a good exchange system. It's at a slow rate., and it's not a linear scale, meaning it's harder to break it and go karma crazy. But it isn't too hard for people to get a little something.

If you're feeling generous you could start the bonuses at "low" lifestyle and give higher rewards at the harder to acheive lifestyles.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Jun 1 2007, 08:38 PM
Post #11

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...frequency of sessions is a factor that comes into play for me. If you are only meeting say once every three weeks, using "by the book" rules for Karma awards gives the players little chance to see any improvement in their characters unless they play for a very (and in the case of Mages, Technos & Adepts very, very) long time.

I started KK4.1 over a year ago, and because of the intermittent schedule we had, she still has yet to see enough Karma to initiate and increase her Magic Attribute to 7. That is rather discouraging considering being an adept is her major focus.

For my Rhapsody In Shadow Campaign (which does meet once every three weeks), I have instituted a flat Karma award per session in addition to the mission Karma. This was suggested by another GM who I believe responded to the Karma for Money thread and makes perfect sense in this kind of situation. I feel it is better than the Karma for money option, since for one, it acts a a bit of incentive to not miss a session.

If you do the money for Karma schtick the angle of occasionally allowing a character to make a sizeable donation to a charity is a good one and something I used once in the past. Of course my price was hefty, 50,000 per Karma.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:17 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.