IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's a datajack for these days?, replaced by trodes?
JonathanC
post Apr 24 2007, 04:31 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,083

I was in a game store last weekend, talking about starting up an SR4 game. One guy pointed out that datajacks are, for the most part, no longer necessary for hacking at all. He claimed (and I could not find anything to contradict him) that you can hot-sim using trodes, so basically there is nothing stopping a mage from being the best hacker on earth, I guess.

But rather than start up another "mages have it too easy" thing, I'm more interested in what this means for hackers. Granted, a datajack isn't much essence to give up, but trodes are cheaper too. And even if you wanted to transfer data to an internal commlink, couldn't you do it wirelessly anyway? So really...what are datajacks used for post 2070?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Apr 24 2007, 04:38 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

A Trode net is a disposable and vulnerable item. If you are running around sweating in a sewer, your trode net comes off. So if you do all of your hacking from an office in the comfy chair - wearing a set of trodes every time you run the matrix is a possible answer. If you want to hack on the fly in Shadowrun situations, then you probably want the jack.

For that matter, if you want to take advantage of data input/output while running around on Shadowruns, the datajack is for you. While you could wear a trode net in order to send wireless signals to your friends of stuff you thought of - that's unreliable.

Essentially it's the age old question of why people put vision mag in their eyes when they could carry perfectly good optical telescopes instead. The telescopes work just as well, they are justone more thing to carry and fragile enough to be unreliable once put through a combat situation.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Apr 24 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

I'm a little less than impressed with the datajack now. From what I can tell the only benefit is that the Datajack contains memory. And since SR4 says any device has basically enough memory for anything you need for it, then it is essentially infinite storage.

I recall recently reading the description of the linguasoft and thinking that there was something there for datajacks, but I can't be certain without my book.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Apr 24 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #4

Running Target

I've never thought of trode nets as being that unreliable. The paint-on ones, sure. They seem like they'd come off easy, but even then...they're described as being used by club-goers, who would be sweating all over the place. Presumably they aren't water-soluble. And if the paint-on ones can survive sweating, the more expensive permanent ones ought to as well.

Now yes, they can be taken away when you're captured, but that's not much different from the head jammer that a 'jack-wearing hacker would be fitted with if they were captured. I guess it kind of makes sense...old-school runners would stand by their datajacks, and the young'uns would be wearing their trode nets in multi-colored wigs/hats, or painting them on, looking like a bunch of club kids. :)

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Apr 24 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #5

Running Target

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
A Trode net is a disposable and vulnerable item.

Seeing as you can build the trode net into a variety of objects such as helmets I'm not sure how much this really applies. I'd be disinclined to say a helmet that provides armor is vulnerable. Or even a hat, or for that matter nanopaste trodes which can be "painted" on. My question about those is how many applications come in one set? I assume one application, but it's not clear like the disguise is that it is only one application. If it really is paint, then I'd assume it's a pot of paint that can be applied a number of times.

+Quote Post
deek
post Apr 24 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

DJ's also have ports for a couple knowsofts, IIRC.

But yes, in the wireless world, a DJ is not really a necessity. I would point out, that in the SR timeline, that just 5 or so years ago, DJs were necessary, so most characters at chargen should probably have one for no other reason then the times would have called for it a short time ago...

Now, 20-30 years into the future, I would think most runners wouldn't have one at all, unless you are a dedicated hacker and really need to be able to direct connect to a node...technology usually takes a few years to catch up, so without a DJ, you may run into nodes with no wireless access, so its safer to cover your bases.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Apr 24 2007, 04:56 PM
Post #7

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

You know, you just could carry a port repeater with wifi/skinlink - for your internal comlink.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 24 2007, 05:40 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 98

I prefer them because it means I've got the ability to make a hard-wired connection without having to wear my helmet, paste on my head, or a webbing of plastic and wires. The telescope comparison that got made earlier is quite valid.

Basically, there's some of us who would rather have something implanted than have to carry it around all the time. Anything that reduces the number and bulk of items you're carrying around is usually a good thing. I can certainly think of things I'd rather use a pocket for than carrying around a jar of nanotrode paste.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Apr 24 2007, 06:11 PM
Post #9

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

I don't know, personally I view Datajacks as still being as common as earings are today, in part because its culturally expected for people to get one at their X Birthday, and also because it's a fairly secure and convient hub for any future DNI implants a person might get.

Besides, even if it isn't RAW, in my games if a runner falls off of a building or is otherwise jarred and bumped then a Trode connection just isn't going to cut it whether its built into an armored helmet or not. (Yeah, I also ignore the bit about your shirt being able to carry around the entire Libary of Congress as well.) :cyber:

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Apr 24 2007, 06:16 PM
Post #10

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

heh, one problem with the "library of congress" thing is that the library of congress keep on growing :P

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Apr 24 2007, 06:19 PM
Post #11

Running Target

QUOTE (Ravor)
I don't know, personally I view Datajacks as still being as common as earings are today, in part because its culturally expected for people to get one at their X Birthday, and also because it's a fairly secure and convient hub for any future DNI implants a person might get.

Besides, even if it isn't RAW, in my games if a runner falls off of a building or is otherwise jarred and bumped then a Trode connection just isn't going to cut it whether its built into an armored helmet or not. (Yeah, I also ignore the bit about your shirt being able to carry around the entire Libary of Congress as well.) :cyber:

What kind of future DNI implants would require a datajack?

And in terms of game balance, do you think the increased utility of trode nets (they used to only do cold sim in 3rd ed, right?) has a negative impact on the dedicated hacker as a concept? I mean, couldn't you just hire a computer-savvy adept and call it a day?

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Apr 24 2007, 06:24 PM
Post #12

Running Target

QUOTE (JonathanC)
I mean, couldn't you just hire a computer-savvy adept and call it a day?

There are some who would say a Hacker Adept is the best hacker concept availiable . . .

Note: I'm not necessarily endorsing this concept. But a primarily AR oriented high initiative hacker adept has been proposed...

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Apr 24 2007, 06:32 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Yeah. I know I said I was going to avoid arguing about this, but really...it kinda feels like the magic-related character options are inherently superior to cyberware users. I realize that in the "world" of SR, people don't have a choice in the matter, but players do, and I've noticed a general lack of interest from players in making non-magical characters because of this. And those who do have to deal with being noticeably inferior to their mage/adept friends.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Apr 24 2007, 06:36 PM
Post #14

Running Target

There's something to be said for playing a character with an enhanced ruleset. If you play with SM rules and compare it to a character who is tied to the core only, then you'll see that the magical characters have more options, and can probably be made more powerful.

Consider the existance of Intuition based magical traditions, they didn't exist in the core rules, but now I can have an adept who's drain stat is directly tied to initiative. Just one of many examples.

When Augmentation and Aresenal are out I don't think you'll find that to be true anylonger.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Apr 24 2007, 06:41 PM
Post #15

Running Target

QUOTE (Demerzel)
There's something to be said for playing a character with an enhanced ruleset. If you play with SM rules and compare it to a character who is tied to the core only, then you'll see that the magical characters have more options, and can probably be made more powerful.

Consider the existance of Intuition based magical traditions, they didn't exist in the core rules, but now I can have an adept who's drain stat is directly tied to initiative. Just one of many examples.

When Augmentation and Aresenal are out I don't think you'll find that to be true anylonger.

Even if we ignore SM, I think adepts and mages come out ahead. Again, there is nothing stopping a mage or adept from doing the job of a hacker or rigger, or even street sam, while it is impossible for any of those guys to do what a mage or adept can do. Mages are a necessity for dealing with magical security, while you can easily defeat or get past non-magical security without using a dedicated hacker, rigger, or street samurai. To put it more simply:

Magic: Can deal with magic and cyber.

Cyber: Can deal with cyber.

One of these things is much better than the other one.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Apr 24 2007, 07:36 PM
Post #16

Cybernetic Blood Mage

QUOTE (JonathanC)
What kind of future DNI implants would require a datajack?

Require a datajeack to function? None, but it'd be a really good idea to route everything into the Datajack via wires. That way in the event that your cyber is hacked you only have to be able to shut down your Datajack connection and the rest of your cyber is taken off-line and thus unhackable. Then run as many Agents as you can fit into your Datajack and Commlink looking for intruders.

QUOTE (JonathanC)
And in terms of game balance, do you think the increased utility of trode nets (they used to only do cold sim in 3rd ed, right?) has a negative impact on the dedicated hacker as a concept? I mean, couldn't you just hire a computer-savvy adept and call it a day?

Well something to remember is that the Awakened population is only 1%, and that I'd imagine that most of those are Mages/Shamans as well as your more traditional Adepts so you might not be able to find a computer savant when you need one.

But yeah, I really don't like the fact that according to RAW Trodes are as good as a Datajack, so I tend to play up the non-RAW but logical downsides of using Trodes in the active lives which Shadowrunners tend to live as well as playing up the non-RAW but logical upsides to having DNI wired throughout your body through a Datajack...

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Apr 24 2007, 07:39 PM
Post #17

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

It's always fun to illustrate the downsides of having a direct plug to your brain, too. ;)

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Apr 24 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #18

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Sure, as in not being able to manually turn it off if your DNI control has been subverted, but since I want to encourage the direct plugs over trodes, in my games the trode nets have more downsides that an average Runner is likely to encounter then a properly set up and defended datajack.

*Edit*

And in my opinion its logical to do so given that the precident given to us by previous Editions have always stresed that a Datajack was the way to go, and even in Fourth the Datajack is the more expensive of the two options...

*Edit 2.0*

Oh and JonathanC I disagree that you necessary need a mage to counter another mage, even the most jacked up Mage out there will die if you pump enough bullets into him, and there is enough manatech floating around to at least warn the mundanes to Astral Intruders. (Not that Astral Recon is really the be-all/end-all given the problems that Astral Mages have when dealing with non-living mundane things.) Yeah, you do have a point in that Magic does tend to be the 'big-guns' in Shadowrun, but at least in my opinion the best route is a blending of both tech and magic and that in the end, I still believe that the two are roughly balanced provided that the DM enforces the downsides that Mages have to live with...

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Apr 24 2007, 08:05 PM
Post #19

Running Target

QUOTE (Demerzel)
I recall recently reading the description of the linguasoft and thinking that there was something there for datajacks, but I can't be certain without my book.

After reviewing it, the Datajack allows you to access and store Knowsofts and Linguasofts in the datajack and have no need for the sim module, you can just run them from memory (which is basically infinite). Through a Trode Net you have to run them through a Sim Module, so consider all those languages you could have at your disposal....

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Apr 24 2007, 08:46 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

The difference between trode net and data jack is the same as between contact lenses and cybereyes. Anyone can use trode nets (good) but they can be taken away from you (bad) and are useless without a comm (bad). Data jacks are always there (good) and give you access to various Softs directly (good) but they take essence (bad).

Value depends on the character's perceived need and risk.

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Apr 24 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #21

Running Target

QUOTE (Ravor)
Sure, as in not being able to manually turn it off if your DNI control has been subverted, but since I want to encourage the direct plugs over trodes, in my games the trode nets have more downsides that an average Runner is likely to encounter then a properly set up and defended datajack.

*Edit*

And in my opinion its logical to do so given that the precident given to us by previous Editions have always stresed that a Datajack was the way to go, and even in Fourth the Datajack is the more expensive of the two options...

*Edit 2.0*

Oh and JonathanC I disagree that you necessary need a mage to counter another mage, even the most jacked up Mage out there will die if you pump enough bullets into him, and there is enough manatech floating around to at least warn the mundanes to Astral Intruders. (Not that Astral Recon is really the be-all/end-all given the problems that Astral Mages have when dealing with non-living mundane things.) Yeah, you do have a point in that Magic does tend to be the 'big-guns' in Shadowrun, but at least in my opinion the best route is a blending of both tech and magic and that in the end, I still believe that the two are roughly balanced provided that the DM enforces the downsides that Mages have to live with...

I don't recall there being much in the way of tech to detect mages in the SR4 book, but I could be wrong. Astral recon aside...if someone tosses a manaball at you, your only protection is your Willpower and your mage buddy, unless you sunk points into being magic resistant, which will come back to bite you when you want some magical healing.

A mage, by contrast, can resist bullets using magic quite well, and can wear armor too. Mages, in the games I've seen, have the highest armor, most initiative passes, and highest damage potential of anyone else in the games I've played in/run.

...and now they can hack too, without any essence loss necessary. :eek:

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Apr 24 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #22

Running Target

QUOTE (JonathanC)
A mage, by contrast, can resist bullets using magic quite well, and can wear armor too. Mages, in the games I've seen, have the highest armor, most initiative passes, and highest damage potential of anyone else in the games I've played in/run.

Armor over bodyx2 reduces Agility. Many mages don't have the body to wear a camo suit or armored jacket. If they are running around with Armor Spell up, you have to remember that Armor makes you GLOW. Nice little targeting advice if you're trying to decide who to shoot up.

If your sam's don't have orthoskin and enough body for decent armor such that your mages are out armoring them then I'm concerned you're not playing with very compitant sammys.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Apr 24 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

Everyone keeps on forgetting that there's at least one campaign setting that renders magic effectively useless: Space.

One of my contingency plans if the magical PCs get too powerful is to have Mr. Johnson give them a space mission--or, better yet, if they've honked off Ares, the magic PCs are taken up the gravity well for some experiments (and if Ares can capture insect shamans, they can capture any metahuman magic user) and the other runners have the option of trying to break their buddy out or not--but it would still give them the chance for a fairly magic free campaign arc.

Additionally, there are other ways to discourage uppity magicians--one day they all wake up in a ditch somewhere, having been dosed with laes, and the mage is sporting a new cyberlimb or two (or three. Or four...).

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Apr 24 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (JonathanC)
QUOTE (Ravor @ Apr 24 2007, 07:46 PM)

*Edit*

*Edit 2.0*

I don't recall there being much in the way of tech to detect mages in the SR4 book, but I could be wrong. Astral recon aside...if someone tosses a manaball at you, your only protection is your Willpower and your mage buddy, unless you sunk points into being magic resistant, which will come back to bite you when you want some magical healing.

...and now they can hack too, without any essence loss necessary. :eek:

the karma is the barrier, not the essence. true, it no longer costs them a point of magic, but it eats up a lot of karma to be a hacker these days... it's no longer a matter of buying a single skill, you need several skills. that's the barrier to magic users, who also now need several skills to do their job.

+Quote Post
Big D
post Apr 24 2007, 09:10 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,455

... Here we go again. I guess it's been too long since the last mage/sam fight.

There are some who would say a Hacker Adept is the best hacker concept availiable . . .

I could definitely see an argument made for that, assuming that the HA is very specialized. At higher levels, a TM would probably overtake them, but anywhere near chargen, the HA would probably win.

Of course, if you want pure cheese, go with the AR-using high-force Ally (with quickened F4 Imp Ref). You get to have your cake, eat it, mortgage it, sell it, and collect insurance on it.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:27 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.