Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "Burn all the Edge you want..., ...you ain't getting out alive."
bibliophile20
post Apr 26 2007, 06:05 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,737

While I'm all for allowing the burning of Edge to invoke the Hand of God and let a runner pull his rear out of the fire, there are times when even the Hand of God isn't going to be able to save the runner; direct divine intervention might, but we're playing Shadowrun, not D&D, and there are some scenarios where survival, in terms of the rules in the SR universe, is not simply unlikely, it's downright impossible, much less what it would do in terms of suspension of belief.

So here are some scenarios where I wouldn't even bother letting the player burn the edge, because there's no point to it:

Honking off a Great Dragon: you're lunch. your bones go crunch. Any questions?

Having the overflow damage meter go over by more than two or three points: you're already dead--what, they have to make you into paste to get the point across?

Having the overflow damage meter overflow from a called shot to the head: your brains are decorating the room. Kinda hard to come back from that.

Anything involving decompression in a space suit: space is a deadly environment, and should be treated as such.

Anything involving a rupture in your [sub/habitat/hardsuit/etc] more than half-a-mile down: Ditto above. Forget chunky salsa, you'd be a smear on the upholstery.

Being inside a collapsing building: Uh-uh. I've seen too many pictures of building demolitions to believe anything larger than a cockroach has any chance of survival.

~*~

So, anyone got any others, or ones where the PCs might survive, at the expense of their entire Edge attribute?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Apr 26 2007, 06:06 AM
Post #2

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Cranial Bomb. You're dead. Unless your name is Red Wraith.

+Quote Post
Luddite
post Apr 26 2007, 06:30 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 11,195

Eh, I can see most of those situations (okay, not the sub or space suit) allowing for a second chance.

Honking off a Great Dragon

Unless the character presents a credible threat to the dragon (unlikely) then it can simply decide to use the PC in some way. Naturally the player will not enjoy this.

Having the overflow damage meter overflow from a called shot to the head

Instead of going through the PC's skull it pierced the skin, went around the skull, and exited the skin at the back of the skull. This has actually happened a few times IRL, and it creates a very messy exit wound. The PC is out cold, with no stun left and some serious phys damage.

Of course, if the rest of the party is incapacitated that doesn't mean your opponents won't just walk over, check your pulse, say "Huh, how about that?" and shoot you again.

IMO the Hand of God will always allow a PC to survive a specific attack or other damaging event short of being right next to a tac nuke, but doesn't defuse an entire situation.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 26 2007, 06:33 AM
Post #4

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Burn 1 Edge:

1) GD decides to be to keep you alive.

2) Overflow? Looks can be deceiving.

3) Overflow? That's called shot for better damage, not to the head. Edge says you shot my ass for better damage.

4) The stars align and there is a mana warp in [x] that sends you into the metaplanes.

5) The stars align and there is a mana warp in [x] that sends you into the metaplanes.

6) The stars align and there is a mana warp in [x] that sends you into the metaplanes.

7) Cranial bomb? Bomb's a dud, but detonator scrambed your head some, take some damage but not enough to deadify you.

(Otherwise known as the rules said so, so you as the GM comes up with something that makes sense, that's the point of all that God-like power.)

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Apr 26 2007, 08:30 AM
Post #5

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

So, basically, bibliophile20, you are missing the point:
There is no such thing as 'impossible circumstances' - just a lack of creativity. :P

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 26 2007, 09:07 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

there was an SR novel that started off with a character coming "back from the dead"--she'd been thrown overboard in the middle of a shark frenzy. she survived because there was a free spirit that owed her a favor. i always assumed that the author was describing HoG.

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Apr 26 2007, 11:06 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 9,300

QUOTE (bibliophile20)
While I'm all for allowing the burning of Edge to invoke the Hand of God and let a runner pull his rear out of the fire, there are times when even the Hand of God isn't going to be able to save the runner; direct divine intervention might, but we're playing Shadowrun, not D&D, and there are some scenarios where survival, in terms of the rules in the SR universe, is not simply unlikely, it's downright impossible, much less what it would do in terms of suspension of belief.

So here are some scenarios where I wouldn't even bother letting the player burn the edge, because there's no point to it:

Honking off a Great Dragon: you're lunch. your bones go crunch. Any questions?

Having the overflow damage meter go over by more than two or three points: you're already dead--what, they have to make you into paste to get the point across?

Having the overflow damage meter overflow from a called shot to the head: your brains are decorating the room. Kinda hard to come back from that.

Anything involving decompression in a space suit: space is a deadly environment, and should be treated as such.

Anything involving a rupture in your [sub/habitat/hardsuit/etc] more than half-a-mile down: Ditto above. Forget chunky salsa, you'd be a smear on the upholstery.

Being inside a collapsing building: Uh-uh. I've seen too many pictures of building demolitions to believe anything larger than a cockroach has any chance of survival.

~*~

So, anyone got any others, or ones where the PCs might survive, at the expense of their entire Edge attribute?

I think you're missing the point about Edge. It's not "this extremely bad thing happens and then something good to lessen it's impact". It's more like "this extremely bad thing didn't happen, but something less bad happened instead."

1. Ok, despite the "Dragons are gods" clichè, that particular dragon might not be hungry atm (perhaps he just ate his budget advisor). That means the runner either goes into the meat parlor (alive to keep fresh) or get's used in some way beneficial to the dragon. Might be the Runner has to burn more Edge to survive said mission, but that's what you get for honking a dragon.

2. GM rolls dice "oh shit" player fails the body resistance check. GM: "You want to burn edge here mate". Player "aw crap... alright."

GM: "The bullet hits you in the head, and everything goes black.

3. Edge prevents the space suit from being faulty, for instance it might have a few minutes of us left before being ruined.

4. Again, since the use of edge completely changes the situation, it keeps the habitat etc. from being ruptured.

5. C'mon, being buried in a pile of rubble is a VERY common occurrance for recurring villains in movies etc. It's easy to say a large piece of concrete blocked off the other debris enough to keep the PC alive. Still, being buried and probably unconscious is bad.
Haven't you seen pictures of normal people being dug out of earthquake-shattered buildings? Can't be THAT impossible. Unless of course all the news channels are lying and making these things up... :please:

+Quote Post
Blade
post Apr 26 2007, 11:17 AM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

For me burning Edge is not an option the player has, it's an option the GM can offer the player.
So it pretty much depends on what the GM wants. Of course, he is encouraged to discuss it with the player too.

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Apr 26 2007, 11:31 AM
Post #9

Running Target

QUOTE (Blade)
For me burning Edge is not an option the player has, it's an option the GM can offer the player.
So it pretty much depends on what the GM wants. Of course, he is encouraged to discuss it with the player too.

That's kind of limiting - like being able to use magic for a particular task is not an option of the player but the GM.

I think if you're spent points on Edge you should be able to use it, and using it to save your ass is no less legitimate than using it to reroll dice.

I use a house rule though: Whenever you burn Edge your maximum edge is lowered by one. So it's not easy to just spend karma on edge to live forever.

+Quote Post
EvilP
post Apr 26 2007, 01:06 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 10,024

Decompression in space isn't as dangerous as movies makes it out to be.

http://www.sff.net/people/geoffrey.landis/vacuum.html

Good chances of surviving if rescued within 90 seconds. 5-10 seconds of consciousness. I'd give them a turn or two where they have to roll to stay conscious... A good space suit would probably be able to seal and repressurize to some extent as well. :)

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Apr 26 2007, 01:15 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

This thread was inspired by the "how often do you kill PCs" poll, and it just kinda occurred to me, if PCs can continuously go "Hand of God" then it's impossible to ever truly kill them, and, at least to my mind, if the possibility of PC death is so remote that it's neigh impossible to kill them, then part of the gritty feel, where, to quote one of the shadowtalkers, "someone might cave in your head for your cheap commlink" is gone or at least incredibly weakened.

Then, my mind being the way it is, I started coming up with scenarios; to take one of the ones from above, if Lofwyr or Ghostwalker decides to make an example (and lunch) out of you while you're in their presence? You're screwed. Rip in a spacesuit? You're toast, unless an airlock or a suit patch is right there and you had the foresight to make sure that option was available.

Edit:

EvilP: I know that, but unless your buddies are right there or, like I said above in this post, you had the foresight to bring a patch kit along, those few turns are rather pointless.

This post has been edited by bibliophile20: Apr 26 2007, 01:18 PM

+Quote Post
WhiskeyMac
post Apr 26 2007, 01:39 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,789

The BBB states that only 1 Hand of God can be used, ever. Unless they changed that in SR4, which they might have but I have only ever used it 1 time. God doesn't want to be continuously bothered by some wanna-be runner who doesn't know how to keep himself out of a deadly situation. It's annoying and God might decide to let the fragger die while sipping a mojito before he intervenes again.

Or in short: Maybe God had both his hands busy at the time?

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Apr 26 2007, 01:45 PM
Post #13

Hoppelhäschen 5000

QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
Unless they changed that in SR4

They did.

It's more like Fate Points in Warhammer - you are only dead when you run out of Edge to burn.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 26 2007, 01:53 PM
Post #14

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
The BBB states that only 1 Hand of God can be used, ever. Unless they changed that in SR4, which they might have but I have only ever used it 1 time. God doesn't want to be continuously bothered by some wanna-be runner who doesn't know how to keep himself out of a deadly situation. It's annoying and God might decide to let the fragger die while sipping a mojito before he intervenes again.

Or in short: Maybe God had both his hands busy at the time?

The more Edge you have, the more God loves you(in a good way, not in a Bubba the lovetroll way).

Mooks die easy. NPCs and PCs do not as long as they have Edge.

In fact if the writers wanted to stop Edge burn, they would have not put that limit on Twist Fate.

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Apr 26 2007, 02:09 PM
Post #15

Running Target

QUOTE (bibliophile20)
This thread was inspired by the "how often do you kill PCs" poll, and it just kinda occurred to me, if PCs can continuously go "Hand of God" then it's impossible to ever truly kill them, and, at least to my mind, if the possibility of PC death is so remote that it's neigh impossible to kill them, then part of the gritty feel, where, to quote one of the shadowtalkers, "someone might cave in your head for your cheap commlink" is gone or at least incredibly weakened.

Then, my mind being the way it is, I started coming up with scenarios; to take one of the ones from above, if Lofwyr or Ghostwalker decides to make an example (and lunch) out of you while you're in their presence? You're screwed. Rip in a spacesuit? You're toast, unless an airlock or a suit patch is right there and you had the foresight to make sure that option was available.

Edit:

EvilP: I know that, but unless your buddies are right there or, like I said above in this post, you had the foresight to bring a patch kit along, those few turns are rather pointless.

I don't know, Warhammer FRPG is said to be a gritty setting, and the system uses Fate Points much like Edge in Shadowrun (except it cannot be bought or increased by karma/xp).

Basically, Fate Points represents "extra-lives" to give the "heroes" SOME chance of accomplishing something despite the often murderous odds. It doesen't get less gritty if you have to blow Fate points every session.

Edge is luck, pure and simple. Not only super-heroes have it, sometimes even a random passersby can be damn lucky, escaping seemingly impossible odds by stroke of luck.

A childhood friend of mine fell 35' onto the pavement, yet not only surived but also recieved no lasting damage. You could say the angels were watching.... you could say the position of his arm in relation to his head saved his life. You could say he burned his Edge point ;)

The setting is still gritty... alot of people die brutal deaths. But is having your PCs head caved in for a comlink any fun way to go out for a runner? After all, even though the player may burn edge to avoid certain death, he is not required to. And really, playing characters with very low or 0 edge is not as fun. So in fitting situation, such as when the gunslinger is cornered in the top-security building while scores of elite security teams rush in, riddling his body with bullets while he still fires his twin SMGs.... Heck, I might go for that!

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Apr 26 2007, 02:13 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

I think that HoG saves PCs from individual problems but not situations as a whole. Let's say that Chuck is blown out of an airlock with no space suit. His first HoG is to survive the immediate decompression as he is sucked into the void. His second HoG is to grab an antenna and avoid drifting away in space. His third HoG is to find an airlock before he passes out or to summon rescue.

Now, how much Edge does Chuck have left and how much fun is the Gm going to have with him?

+Quote Post
Luddite
post Apr 26 2007, 02:16 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 11,195

Definitely true. I've GMed the hand of god quite a few times, but the only time I've used it myself was to take an uber-powerful NPC out with me.

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Apr 26 2007, 02:20 PM
Post #18

Running Target

QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
I think that HoG saves PCs from individual problems but not situations as a whole. Let's say that Chuck is blown out of an airlock with no space suit. His first HoG is to survive the immediate decompression as he is sucked into the void. His second HoG is to grab an antenna and avoid drifting away in space. His third HoG is to find an airlock before he passes out or to summon rescue.

Now, how much Edge does Chuck have left and how much fun is the Gm going to have with him?

This is not fun, just sadistic. Burning of edge should pretty much save you from the situation, not just a minor part of it.

In this situation, the edge is burned to either avoid being blown out of the airlock in the first place, or grabbing hold and pulling yourself in before you lose consciousness.

Of course if something unrelated happens, he'd have to burn edge again. If after barely avoiding being pushed out the airlock, the enemy pulls out a gun and blows his head off, that requires a new edge burned as being shot and being exposed to space is unrelated.

Otherwise we'd have stupid situations were being overrun by stampeding bulls will kill you many times over and require burning edge until you run out so you auto-die anyway.

Oh, and yeah in WH it is recommended not to require players to spend more than 1Fate Point to survive a situation. Different game, same principle.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Apr 26 2007, 02:50 PM
Post #19

Hoppelhäschen 5000

QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
I think that HoG saves PCs from individual problems but not situations as a whole.

The RAW thinks otherwise... it's pretty clear that it saves you from the whole situation, so you live to fight another day.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Apr 26 2007, 02:55 PM
Post #20

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

You live till the next HoG, or you run out of Edge to burn.

If the GM wants to kill a PC, what the RAW says doesn't matter.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Apr 26 2007, 03:05 PM
Post #21

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...I still only give one HoG per character. Hell, she has better things to do than mollycoddle PCs that do stupid things all the time & expect her to pull their butt out again and again.

+Quote Post
Dakhran the Dark
post Apr 26 2007, 03:17 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 80

Just to point out, burning Edge HoG-style just keeps the character alive, it doesn't completely keep them immune from their own stupidity. Just because they live through something, doesn't mean that they don't pay the piper and face the music.
  • They tick off Lofwyr and spend the point to avoid being instant lunch or charcoal briquettes, and I'm sure that Saeder-Krupp R&D will end up with a new "volunteer" for their latest prototype cyberware that has a 70% risk of scrambling someone's brain...
  • They screw Johnson and get shot by a God-spot sniper with a Barrett and a few rounds of aimed called shot, and by luck the wind picks up and causes it to graze the back of their head, to end up missing a small chunk of cerebellum that leaves them a quadriplegic that can do nothing but blink, at least until they spend the nuyen or sell their souls for the hideously expensive medical procedures and cyber/bio that might eventually have them walking again...
  • They're captured instead of killed by Ares/Knight Errant security, who decides to use them to point out the flaws in Lone Star coverage of the city and publicly announce their capture, then turn them over to Lone Star for processing as a criminal -- crime statistics go up, prison population increases, all these numbers cause Lone Star to lose face, and our shadowrunner is now Bubba the Troll's love interest in a supermax facility somewhere offshore...
Personally, if their near-death experience isn't CLUE-worthy, if it just happens in normal play due to crit-glitching or something, I'll give them a more-or-less complete bye on death. But if they're about to become chunky due to their own actions, they might be alive, but they'll still pay...and hopefully, learn...

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 26 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #23

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

In 4th edition:
Hand of God is the escape clause for NPCs. PCs do not use Hand of God.
Escape Certain Death is the edge use that PCs use to escape certain death.

3rd edition Hand of God is very similar to 4th edition Escape Certain Death, except ECD can be repeated and is less costly.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Apr 26 2007, 03:43 PM
Post #24

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Dakhran the Dark)
...and our shadowrunner is now Bubba the Troll's love interest in a supermax facility somewhere offshore...

...that's Bubba the Love Troll...

@Moon-Hawk, Thanks for the clarification. I still often think in "old edition" terms which is why I let PCs use it only once and still find myself slipping up & saying "Karma pool"

+Quote Post
Dakhran the Dark
post Apr 26 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 80

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
In 4th edition:
Hand of God is the escape clause for NPCs.  PCs do not use Hand of God.

Tom-ay-to, tom-ah-to. You can change the editions, but not the players, and for the last five years, we've been saying "decker", "HoG", and "fragger", we're not about to switch from "my decker HOGs it" to "my hacker pulls an ECD" overnight...

Hell, I still catch myself saying "THAC0" when playing that other game... :)

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:29 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.