Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What the in the Nine Hells did that kid just do?, Emergence System Anomalies
Glayvin34
post Jun 21 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,275

Anyone else read the little intro blurb on the last page of the Emergence preview? There's a team busting into some insane asylum and some Technomancer kid hacks all of their PANs and overloads their earbuds, effectively disabling the entire team.

How did he do that?

The Hacker mentions wi fi emissions in the asylum, even though all the security is hard wired, so maybe we can assume that the kid managed a matrix perception roll v. the Hacker, so that means he can start spoofing. Through spoofing he can get the other comms to give up their commcodes. Then he would thread the bejesus out of his Stealth and start Hacking on the fly, eventually reaching everyone's earbuds that must be attached to their PANs.

Does that sound right to anyone else? Can earbuds get that loud or there some artistic license being taken?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 21 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #2

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

i smell artistic license. either that or they are going to throw in some AR attack rules somewhere in the book :)

but hey, in theory earbuds can get as high as they can physically take it. and that will probably be far above what the human ear can take.

+Quote Post
TW
post Jun 21 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 677

oh the joys of freelancer crack.... :smokin:

The kid didn't just override their commlinks, could be it hacked their cybereyes, too, along with its two sprites 'Nausea' and 'Vertigo'.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jun 21 2007, 05:04 PM
Post #4

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I think it probably was artistic liscence, but I had a hacker in my game break into a kid's wireless mp3 device one time to turn up the volume and get his attention. Not outside the realm of believability to think that a TM could somehow transmit to people at high volumes (especially if they have a sound link of some kind) after gaining access to the group's PAN.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jun 21 2007, 05:08 PM
Post #5

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Glayvin34)
How did he do that?

I'm not trying to think too hard about that, because Spam Zones, that have actual rules, make even less sense.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jun 21 2007, 05:09 PM
Post #6

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

The implication in the initial story is that the kid is actually generating his own wireless signal, in that everything is said to be hard-wired presumably as an attempt to stop him hacking everything.

It's probably artistic licence, but it's a very punchy introduction piece, so I don't care.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jun 21 2007, 05:12 PM
Post #7

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

I dunno, I'd find it suprising if they allowed a lot of atristic licence on the piece of fiction that opened the new book. My vote goes to 'sign of things to come'.

Hey, Ronin hacked someone's brain once, in Technobabel. ;)

+Quote Post
TW
post Jun 21 2007, 05:12 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (knasser)
... it's a very punchy introduction piece, ....

Thank you :)

This sets a new record for 'fastest compliment ever for content of a Shadowrun book not yet released' :D

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 21 2007, 05:17 PM
Post #9

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

he also complains that they bring voices. im guessing that the wired security isolates him from the matrix in general.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jun 21 2007, 05:34 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jun 21 2007, 12:08 PM)

I'm not trying to think too hard about that, because Spam Zones, that have actual rules, make even less sense.

eh? why? i mean, if you walk into a mall, you've got physical proximity to sellers. i don't see why they wouldn't spam you with "hey, look at this!"

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 21 2007, 05:37 PM
Post #11

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

It must be awesome walking around in 2070+, having all those holographic ads waving giant penises at you and promising they can be yours.

"KNOCK DOWN WALLS WITH A TROLL SIZED DICK!" as the first thirty five out of forty messages waiting for you when you put on your smartglasses every morning.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Jun 21 2007, 05:42 PM
Post #12

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

You think strong firewalls are a good idea now, wait until when you can boot your commlink and suddenly be assaulted not only by images of said troll-sized members, but also taste them and feel them violating you as a sales pitch.

Firewalls are required to save your damn sanity.

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Jun 21 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

QUOTE (mfb)

eh? why? i mean, if you walk into a mall, you've got physical proximity to sellers. i don't see why they wouldn't spam you with "hey, look at this!"

Who says they have to allow you to get in close proximity. In RL today spammers do not have a code of conduct, or oversight committee. Also today what few government attempts to regulate spam, have been feeble and ineffective. I so not see anything changing in the year 2070.

I see spam zones loaded with signal sources of maximum strength, one has to get their spam out in front so to speak.

I can also see, as you enter or just before you enter such a zone, you get an offer of spam protection via wireless. You pay a fee and the spam is of a "reasonable" level, you do not pay, you seem to be targeted by everything and everyone. Using your AR if you do not pay, is very confusing at least.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jun 21 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #14

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)

Because 'proximity' has an accuracy of about 50m diameter - and any Mode other than Active discards anything incoming as a default... the rules also disregard the difference in Firewall quality.

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Jun 21 2007, 05:57 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

One sprite for each runner, nuff said.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Jun 21 2007, 06:12 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (knasser)
The implication in the initial story is that the kid is actually generating his own wireless signal

Well, a technomancer has to - how else should he connect to the WiFi matrix?

+Quote Post
deek
post Jun 21 2007, 06:35 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
QUOTE (mfb @ Jun 21 2007, 12:34 PM)

Who says they have to allow you to get in close proximity. In RL today spammers do not have a code of conduct, or oversight committee. Also today what few government attempts to regulate spam, have been feeble and ineffective. I so not see anything changing in the year 2070.

I see spam zones loaded with signal sources of maximum strength, one has to get their spam out in front so to speak.

I can also see, as you enter or just before you enter such a zone, you get an offer of spam protection via wireless. You pay a fee and the spam is of a "reasonable" level, you do not pay, you seem to be targeted by everything and everyone. Using your AR if you do not pay, is very confusing at least.

One has to remember, 2070 isn't controlled by "governments" per se, its corporations, and only a few of them. To think that the matrix is not strictly controlled by a handful of these corps is hard for me to believe.

I don't see how Corp B can even attempt to spam a person walking in the mall sponsored by Corp A...

I just think there is quite a paradigm shift once we start understanding what control the corps have in 2070...

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jun 21 2007, 06:49 PM
Post #18

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (deek @ Jun 21 2007, 06:35 PM)

One has to remember, 2070 isn't controlled by "governments" per se, its corporations, and only a few of them.  To think that the matrix is not strictly controlled by a handful of these corps is hard for me to believe.

I don't see how Corp B can even attempt to spam a person walking in the mall sponsored by Corp A...

I just think there is quite a paradigm shift once we start understanding what control the corps have in 2070...

There are tens of thousands of corps in 2070. The AAA "megacorps" control things in the sense that they're the biggest and the baddest and they influence economies of whole nations. But they don't control things in the sense of micromanaging every little life or deciding who is on a spam list or who isn't.

And hacking is hacking because you're doing things that the owner of the system doesn't want you to do. It's not only a case of allowing people to do things. It's a case of being able to stop them if you don't.

QUOTE (TW)
QUOTE (knasser)
... it's a very punchy introduction piece, ....

Thank you :)

This sets a new record for 'fastest compliment ever for content of a Shadowrun book not yet released' :D

Well enjoy it as it's coming from someone who doesn't like the idea of technomancers and thinks building a metaplot around a single character archetype is a bad idea in concept. But that's not going to stop me recognizing good work in a fellow writer. :)

+Quote Post
TW
post Jun 21 2007, 06:59 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

If Corp A runs a mall and is very stricht about selecting tennants, then Corp B would not be even in the mall. So yeah, in Aztechnology's Flagship mall in downtown Tenochtitlan, you probably would find Azzie brands only. But that doesn't mean that ARO's, Spam, MegaSale AR-blips etc. would be regulated in any way. mall owners today hardly dictate a Retail store's layout and design other than in ensuring it doesn't violate any safety or totally destroy the mall's aesthetic appeal. After all, the corp wants to make money, and to do soit needs to attract customers. How do you do that? Either specialize in certain market fields or offer a variety of brands and commodities.

This is even more true for public (non-corp owned malls). How these guys advertize might be regulated (the same way today's store front signs and logo sizes might be limited, maybe the ARO's could be regulated, too) but not whether or not at all. All tennants would need to be allowed to advertize their product.

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Jun 21 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

QUOTE (TW)
The kid didn't just override their commlinks, could be it hacked their cybereyes, too, along with its two sprites 'Nausea' and 'Vertigo'.

The team, being morons who obviously don't have sound-damper earbuds that woudn't get painfully loud, had their comms subscribed to the hacker.

The kid breaks into the hacker's comm and uses Edit to send an audio/video stream to each team member. The stream consists of a max-amplitude screech that warbles (audio) and some quasi-random swirly pattern (video). Their comms add the stream to the earbuds/imagelink just the way they would for the hacker.

This is a lesson to you: never subscribe gear to a comm subscribed to anything else.

+Quote Post
deek
post Jun 21 2007, 07:31 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

QUOTE (TW)
If Corp A runs a mall and is very stricht about selecting tennants, then Corp B would not be even in the mall. So yeah, in Aztechnology's Flagship mall in downtown Tenochtitlan, you probably would find Azzie brands only. But that doesn't mean that ARO's, Spam, MegaSale AR-blips etc. would be regulated in any way. mall owners today hardly dictate a Retail store's layout and design other than in ensuring it doesn't violate any safety or totally destroy the mall's aesthetic appeal. After all, the corp wants to make money, and to do soit needs to attract customers. How do you do that? Either specialize in certain market fields or offer a variety of brands and commodities.

This is even more true for public (non-corp owned malls). How these guys advertize might be regulated (the same way today's store front signs and logo sizes might be limited, maybe the ARO's could be regulated, too) but not whether or not at all. All tennants would need to be allowed to advertize their product.

Well, given that a corp is there to make money, I'd think they would be well aware if tons of spam were pushing away consumers...and that is all I am saying. In 2070, these corps have a ton more control than anything we can currently think of (IMO), and to think they are not smart enough to regulate spam going to their own consumers...

I guess it all depends on how you want to run your campaign, but I see it as a lot more structured...not to a micro-managed state, but even little hacks, I think they are aware of...they just may choose to do nothing about it.

+Quote Post
TW
post Jun 21 2007, 07:38 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Good point, but maybe Corp A actually has a stake in the advertizing company that programmed the ARO's or has connections to the data mining outfit that evaluates the losers that actually click on the 'Troll sized Penis scam'...sure they have a lot more control, but that doesn't mean it's managed better. I'd see these ARO's as the 2070 version of that pesky guy trying to hand you a handful of flyers for the store three levels down in the back of the mall near the washrooms...and mall security is doing nothing against the flyer today ;)

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Jun 21 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

QUOTE (knasser)

Well enjoy it as it's coming from someone who doesn't like the idea of technomancers and thinks building a metaplot around a single character archetype is a bad idea in concept. But that's not going to stop me recognizing good work in a fellow writer. :)

*coughcoughimmortalelvenmagicianscough*

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jun 21 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #24

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (Wakshaani)
QUOTE (knasser @ Jun 21 2007, 06:49 PM)

*coughcoughimmortalelvenmagicianscough*

Missing the point. No-one was unfairly given centre stage because "immortal elf" was their character type. At least I hope that's the case. ;)

But I'm now qualifying my reservations to say that although it looks like something I don't want, it looks like it may be a very good thing that I don't want. I hope I'm being fair.

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Jun 21 2007, 11:26 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

Shopping malls? LOL

Example that that wonderful place in Hong Kong, the mile+ long escalator, just think of the AR spam.

Corps have little they can do about spam on the streets so to speak.

With the ease of hacking etc that the New rules allow, any script kiddies with is PDA can hack anything the Corps put up to stop spam.

Then for those corp enclaves of spam free enterprise, I give you the script kiddy armed with a spam drone, to bring spam into their hollowed spaces. :) :D

Spam Zones along streets have a better chance of being "controlled" by various organizations such mafia/yaks etc. And such control is mainly where is my nuyen. They could careless if any person walking along said street was inconvenienced by AR spam.

My example of a spam protection racket is a possibility and a fact. It falls right in with the agendas of underworld types/organizations. :rotfl:

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:53 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.