IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Roll Perception:, Okay, I roll and draw my gun.
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 28 2007, 05:16 PM
Post #1

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,715

This topic was booted out of another thread, but I'd like to see it explored.
If you only ask for perception tests when it's really important, you get the "Okay, I roll perception and draw my gun" scenario. You can mix things up by asking for unimportant perception tests, but then there's the possibility of players spending edge on an unimporant roll. Is this fair? Does this break the intended spirit of edge use? If it's not fair, how do you avoid it?

edit: Original thread was here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jun 28 2007, 05:27 PM
Post #2

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

I just tell the player not to bother rolling edge.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jun 28 2007, 05:28 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

Just to put my couple nuyens worth in again.

My biggest issue with having players roll perception is actually the time wasted in game. Sure you could have them roll perception all the time, causing them to stop with the knee jerk reactions, but it breaks up the flow of play.

Also perception test in general slow things up, especially if lots of them are involved.

Additionally I feel letting them know the outcome of their roll gives them too much info. If someone has hot dice and they throw a dozen hits they know if something was there they'd know about it.

Therefore before gametime I roll a whole bunch of dice and write down the results on a piece of paper. Then when I want general perception tests I decide on the order I'd have the players roll and just look along the page for the results. Then I work what they see into what I'm describing (for example when I describe an NPC I tell one of the players who got enough hits that they can tell that the NPCs arm is actually cybernetic).

I also use that if there is something they could miss. Like something hidden in a room or someone sneaking away.

I let them roll perception themselves if they declare the action and if it's something that will immediatly become apparant, like an ambush.

I find it works smoothly and well.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 28 2007, 05:31 PM
Post #4

edit: This was a reply to DireRadiant

Yeah, but then they know that, if they fail the test, that they aren't really missing anything important, and doesn't that kind of detract from the suspense?

I guess along with my original questions this could easily segue into talking about the same old problem of the player knowing that they rolled well or poorly and thus knowing that there's something there they aren't seeing, etc.
You can get around it by having the GM roll all the perception tests behind the screen, but that's a ton of work for the GM, plus you're back to the problem of how can the players use edge.

I don't so much have a singular question as I just want to exchange some ideas on perception tests, how you make them without giving away too much information, and how you incorporate edge into that scheme.

+Quote Post
Nerf'd
post Jun 28 2007, 05:34 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 12,075

I usually only ask for a perception test if there is something important to be perceived.

That being said, "important" can be interpreted as you wish. I'll usually allow people unconscious perception tests (rolling raw intuition on their behalf), but I interpret active perception as "I stop, take a moment, and really pay attention to the surroundings."

+Quote Post
dionysus
post Jun 28 2007, 05:40 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,764

On the question of wasting edge, I think that's the gamble any time you use edge. There's a 2.5 rule floating around the forums that's a good guide for people probabilistically inclined. Players should always be able to waste money, ammo, edge, etc. Being holed up in a corner, bleeding, hoping the evil sammie from hell stalking you wont hear the sound of you kicking yourself for wasting that point of edge on that stupid perception test an hour ago is (for me) part of what shadowrun is *about*. ;)

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jun 28 2007, 05:40 PM
Post #7

The Dragon Never Sleeps

If Perception tests are always important, then the players should have the choice to use edge.

There are other ways of using perception test, one common one I use to to ask all team members to roll, and the ones who meet a certain threshold receive relevant information. This makes it somewhat random who gets the info, rewards players who bought higher perception, and allows for IC motivations to determine how and when information is shared, which can have entertaining effects.

If the problem is always that a PC pulls a gun all the time, have a perception test be to see if they notice the Lone Star LMG armed drone is scanning them for weapons and failing... oops... guess it won't fail now.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 28 2007, 05:43 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (DireRadiant)
If the problem is always that a PC pulls a gun all the time, have a perception test be to see if they notice the Lone Star LMG armed drone is scanning them for weapons and failing... oops... guess it won't fail now.

Haha.
But the point is not the physical act of them drawing their gun, the point is them going "on alert" simply because you asked for a test, regardless of the result of said test.

+Quote Post
Nerf'd
post Jun 28 2007, 05:47 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 12,075

If they're on a run...and not on alert, then there is something very, very wrong with your players

+Quote Post
Unarmed
post Jun 28 2007, 05:47 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,517

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jun 28 2007, 12:40 PM)

Haha.
But the point is not the physical act of them drawing their gun, the point is them going "on alert" simply because you asked for a test, regardless of the result of said test.

Well, really the best way to avoid that is to roll the perception tests yourself. I think sunnyside's method of pre-rolling works even better, because then the players don't even start to get paranoid because you're rolling something behind the screen.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Jun 28 2007, 05:52 PM
Post #11

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

Oddly, I'm used to calling for perception tests as a player. In any situation where the character's senseware and ambush-sense should be going off - I.E. if I think I need to be on my guard - then I'll call for a perception test, roll it, and the gm will keep it in mind for any immediate threats or such.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jun 28 2007, 06:00 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

The "pull a gun" is a bit of humor. That isn't typically what happens but they do tend to get on their guard, and check things out more thouroughly than they otherwise would. It can also stay with them subconsciously.

Another thing that applies if you let them roll their own tests. It's true that if you call a roll they don't know if you're screwing with them or not.

But they DO know that if you DIDN'T have them roll nothings up. No real way around that. Your face isn't going to be happy if a J lies right to his face and you don't even give him a roll for it. So if someone says something to the face and you don't have them roll it means the person believes they're telling the truth. Ditto on perception or any other test like that.

One other thing that really bugs me about letting players roll their own perception is that it really messes with what they might have otherwise done.

For example lets say that my players are walking to the meet down a dock. It is quite possible that the rigger will get a little paranoid and have a drone do a fly over to check for ambushes on the way. However if I called a perception test just before he thought of that he now almost can't call the drone in because everyone will assume he's being a little metagaming munchkin. He may even wonder if he would have thought of it on his own or if he is being a little metagaming munchkin. So I just spoiled a players clever action.

Therefore I feel having the GM queue or roll for the players is the best way to go.

As for edge I'll sometimes say things like "You guys all just failed a perception test, this ones kinda important" Note that I only do that when I think it'll make the story better.

And again I let them roll for things like seeing an ambush the half second before the lead starts flying, stuff where I don't have to worry about the metagame, I let them decide to use edge or not as they choose.

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Jun 28 2007, 06:10 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

I usually ask for perception based on user action.

"I look for the car" -Roll perception
"I try to read whats on the J's comm" -Roll Perception

Or if I think there is something they should notice but aren't thinking about it, I'll ask them to roll perception.

Once they realize that it's not always about combat and ambushes, they won't always be on guard.

Alternately, if thats too many rolls, just use the 4:1 conversion so that they can only roll for the vastly important things, and can generally get their average hits on unimportant things.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jun 28 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #14

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

Maybe my players are a little slow, but I call for perception tests and they do a good job about not metagaming things. 'Course, usually someone sees or finds that which the characters needed to perceive and under most situations, that person then tells the rest of the group, so usually when I call for perception tests, as long as one succeeds, they all succeed.

I have, though, reminded people who act on information that they don't know yet that they can't do that at this time.

+Quote Post
Rifleman
post Jun 28 2007, 06:15 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,821

My thoughts on this are that tests for things like ambushes, snipers, and other actions of immediate importance should be rolled by the GM, but others, such as those for searching a house or for a stake out, where the players have a bit more time to question themselves, those are rolled by them.

But I admit, my players are able to go 'Ah, shoot' out of character and go 'There he goes!' in character after rolling a botch on a perception check. They may know they are after the wrong guy, but they are pretty good about not letting that stop them. So, this probably won't work for everyone. Still, I'll put it out there.

As far as the question of edge... It's tricky with the silent rolls for me. But I tend to play it that if a character rolls close to the edge of success or they succeed but not to the best of their ability, I'll ask that individual something to the tune of 'You get a funny feeling' and then allow them to roll edge if they desire. Otherwise... a funny feeling is just that. Not enough to tip them off in character but enough to justify their jumpiness.

Consequently, a botch on one such silent check caused a false-positive 'funny feeling', and because he didn't spend the edge (To cancel out the botch, Something I allow), one player nearly blew the head off of their willing extraction target who was sneaking out the back way to meet them. :(

+Quote Post
Mistwalker
post Jun 28 2007, 06:37 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,304

I get my players to roll perception, and they decide if they want to spend edge on it. No regrets if it is a "wasted" roll or not.

Not all my rolls have to do with combat. They often roll to notice things that have nothing to do with the run, like noticing the cute girl giving them to "come hither" look, who is wearing the latest style, who is packing, drones loitering around rather than flying by, etc...

When I ask for the perception test, it only takes a couple of seconds, as everyone knows their numbers, but I do add in if it is visual, auditive, or regular.

I hand out info depending on who is in position to see or hear.

Seems to work for our group.

Edit: my players do not really like it when I roll perception for them, past experiences with other GMs who used that to railroad them.

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jun 28 2007, 06:59 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

Well, this was what I posted in that thread:
The GM could always accept the burning of the EG point in the spirit in which it is intended; and save that particular Perception roll for a near-future time when it really counts.

... since I'm of the random Perception roll school. Curious thing though: I always seem to be able to find something interesting on which to develop greater plot or red herring, so I suppose they aren't wasted Perception rolls after all. In fact, much of the time I found that my players were asking me if they could roll Perception. (But I don't see why they should have had to spend the EG point on something not really significant.)

+Quote Post
Gargs454
post Jun 28 2007, 07:19 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 9,490

Personally, as a player, if another player wants to use a point of Edge on a Perception test, then let them, even if its just a random test. Anytime you use Edge, you run the risk of wasting it.

For example, I've used Edge on a Dodge roll only to get no hits. Obviously that Edge point didn't help me. Additionally, I could use Edge to try to take down the opposing Sammy only when because of all his injuries, I only need a couple "hits". In either case, the Edge point pretty much gets wasted, but that's part of the risk inherent in the Edge attribute, sometimes, you just aren't lucky.

The other thing is, if you throw in enough random rolls, your players will likely start to prioritize their Edge uses. Personally, I don't think that Perception is really worth using Edge on anyway, unless maybe I'm getting peppered by a sniper that I can't find. I would rather use my Edge 9 times out of 10 on a roll to avoid damage to cause more damage, etc.

+Quote Post
VivianDQ
post Jun 28 2007, 07:26 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 11,787

I'm part of the just roll the results yourself and keep em quiet school but I can understand those who don't want to do that. In the campaign's I've done, former D&D gm by the way haven't run an sr campaign yet, just make it very clear that abusing ooc information is not allowed. When someone does something like the op mentioned, pulling their gun after being told to roll perception, its a clear abuse of information that their character isn't supposed to know. Just penalize them a point of karma whenever they pull that, it will stop real quick.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jun 28 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #20

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE (Gargs454)
Personally, as a player, if another player wants to use a point of Edge on a Perception test, then let them, even if its just a random test. Anytime you use Edge, you run the risk of wasting it.

For example, I've used Edge on a Dodge roll only to get no hits. Obviously that Edge point didn't help me. Additionally, I could use Edge to try to take down the opposing Sammy only when because of all his injuries, I only need a couple "hits". In either case, the Edge point pretty much gets wasted, but that's part of the risk inherent in the Edge attribute, sometimes, you just aren't lucky.

The other thing is, if you throw in enough random rolls, your players will likely start to prioritize their Edge uses. Personally, I don't think that Perception is really worth using Edge on anyway, unless maybe I'm getting peppered by a sniper that I can't find. I would rather use my Edge 9 times out of 10 on a roll to avoid damage to cause more damage, etc.

Your examples aren't really comparative though.

You used edge while trying to dodge and avoid getting shot.
Alternately, you used it while trying to shoot the sammie.

If you fail to dodge, you take damage, if you do dodge, you don't
If you fail to hit, he lives and might shoot you, if you hit him, he might not.

If you roll perception and fail on an unimportant test, you don't notice anything.
If you roll it and succeed on an unimportant test, again, you don't really notice anything still, because it was unimportant.

In your examples, there is a very notable bad outcome if you failed those dice rolls. Thus, your edge was not wasted to give you extra dice to try to avoid failing.

With unimportant perception rolls, nothing bad is going to happen from failing the roll, so using edge on one is a waste.

On important perception rolls, (such as noticing an ambush) success might mean you don't get ambushed, and failure means you do. In such a case, there is a bad outcome, and using edge on such a check would not be a waste.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Jun 28 2007, 08:26 PM
Post #21

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...I have copies of everyone's character in a database. This way I can keep the purpose of some rolls such as perception or reaction a bit more nebulous by saying "You, roll (x-many) dice".

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jun 28 2007, 09:18 PM
Post #22

The Dragon Never Sleeps

You mean my trick of calling for a perception test for no reason when the non interacting players look bored and not interested in isn't a good way to keep everyone's attention now and then?

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jun 28 2007, 09:21 PM
Post #23

The Dragon Never Sleeps

QUOTE (Lagomorph)
Alternately, if thats too many rolls, just use the 4:1 conversion so that they can only roll for the vastly important things, and can generally get their average hits on unimportant things.

That's a good one, if you don't want them to roll edge, just doing the buying hits will work.

e.g. instead of asking for a perception roll, just ask who has a visual perception dice pool of 12 or better.

Better perception is important, but the player will recognize using edge for this probably isn't critical.

+Quote Post
Buster
post Jun 28 2007, 09:21 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 11,869

I like GMs who get a copy of our character sheets and make secret rolls behind the screen (or on their laptop). That way we have no idea of what he's rolling or even when he's rolling. I had one DM that would compulsively roll dice when he was bored, so we never knew if we were about to be ambushed or if he was just twitchy.

+Quote Post
Gargs454
post Jun 28 2007, 09:50 PM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 9,490

Tarantula: Fair enough, though I suppose if we thought hard enough we could likely find comparable examples. I guess part of my reasoning is just that I personally don't think the perception roll is important enough to use edge on to begin with, which might of course make me a little bit biased.

As for your example of a really good roll on an unimportant perception roll though, the GM can, and in this case should, always come up with something for you to have noticed. For instance, you could see the drone that is hovering near the building a block and half away. Whether this drone is monitoring the group, or just monitoring the building a block and a half away remains to be seen. This at least keeps the players from knowing that the roll was definitely unimportant.

Heck, if the GM is really feeling bad about it, he can even incorporate this drone into the adventure. Maybe now the drone is associated with their mission (i.e. monitoring the warehouse they are about to infiltrate from afar) and the players actions toward the drone will either a) make life easier for them once inside or b) alert security to the fact that something is about to go down now that their drone has been taken out etc.

Perhaps even better could be that the drone is completely unrelated to what the PC's are doing but if they a) take the drone out, they annoy the Corp that was using the drone and now the corp wants to find out who did it, or b) taking out the drone allows another group of runners to succeed on a mission against the other building and now a new can of worms has opened up, or c) by ignoring the drone, the PC's have now let themselves be recorded entering the warehouse they were actually targetting and they are now being blackmailed, etc. In these examples, the completely random "unimportant" perception test has now spawned a new adventure.

In any event, I don't think that there is really any right way or wrong way to handle it. If the players don't abuse the perception tests (i.e. no "I pull my gun as I'm looking around.") then you really don't have to worry too much about making random rolls. The most important thing is that the everyone has fun, so if the random rolls slow down your game and the PCs don't abuse the important tests, then do away with the random rolls.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:48 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.