IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brutal GM'ing, aka, Am I evil, or just Misunderstood?
Narmio
post Jul 8 2007, 02:27 AM
Post #76

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,053

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
This is why I dislike the internet. It invariably goes the same way. Someone states their position, then generally a few people agree with them. Then someone points out Issue X. Some more people agree. Then the OP gets annoyed at it. Then some people pick sides. Then it goes back and forth eventually culminating in complaining about the process of it all, since the original point has pretty much been left at the way side.

Slight editing required.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jul 8 2007, 04:48 AM
Post #77

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Well personally I fall into the "it's the character's skills that count, not the player's" camp, meaning that I wholehearty agree that the ( Strength 1 ) Sammy got what was coming to him, but I very strongly disagree with the Technomancer example, his character knew what going into full-VR meant, so the player should have been told. Of course, if the player had still said yes then all bets are off. :cyber:

Of course, the usual disclaimer of as long as everyone at the table is enjoying themselves then no "bad-fun" is going on, ect, ect...

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jul 8 2007, 06:14 AM
Post #78

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

I still like the fact that he kept the lesson in game, made it slightly annoying, but not problematic for the player. Keeping things in game tends to help keep everyone at the table in game, which helps the feel of the world overall.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jul 8 2007, 06:45 AM
Post #79

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

QUOTE (Narmio)
Slight editing required.

:D

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Jul 8 2007, 07:00 AM
Post #80

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
This is why I dislike threads like this. They invariably go the same way. Someone states their position, then generally a few people agree with them. Then someone points out Issue X. Some more people agree. Then the OP gets annoyed at it. Then some people pick sides. Then it goes back and forth eventually culminating in complaining about the process of it all, since the original point has pretty much been left at the way side.

If you post asking for people's opinions, you're going to get them. Nice or not. You can of course defend your position, but really it just comes down to people's take on the game and how they like to play it. This particular one has been relatively civil compared to some others. Don't worry, we'll have this same thread again in a month or two. Just please keep it polite and try to cut back on the snarky comments.

That is why when I see a title like this, then a good number of posts, then Last Post by: fistandantilus3.0, I have to check to see if it got interesting enough to lock. ;)

+Quote Post
Heimdalol
post Jul 8 2007, 07:09 AM
Post #81

Target

Member No.: 8,040

In all the years I've been gaming the biggest disagreements that have come up at the table were all based on when a player and a GM were understanding a world differently. Both were using their common sense and when there's a disconnect feelings end up getting hurt.

I really don't like GMs that will bruise characters (even if it's just egos.) For saying the wrong thing. I've never walked from a game because of this but only because I game with RL friends.

We have enough fun and jokes at the table , humiliating players (even slightly) when you're not both on the same wavelength is just plain wrong IMO. One of the jobs of the GM is to interpret what the players are saying and weave it into the game world. That takes a little bit of understanding ( "hear what I mean , not what I say")

I'm glad you and your players are all having fun but I think this is one area where a lot of GMs can improve if they are looking for everyone to have even more fun.

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jul 8 2007, 07:11 AM
Post #82

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

Whenever I see a thread like this, I wonder how many of the diehard opponents and proponents have stable, long-term games of which they are a part. (Wouldn't that make for an interesting discussion, if each person had to precede their post with a statement not only of years of experience playing, but of how long their longest campaign lasted?)

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
That would make you insane, too. :P

I post here, don't I?

+Quote Post
Solomon Greene
post Jul 8 2007, 09:25 AM
Post #83

Target

Member No.: 11,998

Oh god, please no, Talia. It would devolve into the boards of MMORPGs; "What you say! You're not a max levelled character, your opinion is MEANINGLESS!"

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jul 8 2007, 11:40 AM
Post #84

Shooting Target

Which could be an interesting statement, if so many max-levelled MMORPG PCs hadn't been shopped out to eastern Europe or India for professional levelling.

But, as to how things might apply here:

I don't reply to firearms threads, as my experience with firearms is so comparatively minimal as to make any contribution I could make worse than minimal.

Outside SR3 rules questions I don't reply to vehicle pimping threads, as my experience with vehicle engines falls far short of many here: and so I learn far more than I would be capable of adding.

Why shouldn't experience in maintaining a long-term, stable campaign be a valid and even expected self-limiter for posting in a thread critiquing GMing style of a long-term GM? What is that advice worth, otherwise?

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 8 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #85

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

You know the saying 'Yeah, I know the game is rigged - but it's the only game in town.'?

It doesn't really matter how much experience someone claims to have - only if he is able to avoid mistakes.
And if someone is posting a pretty basic GM mistake (the clown railroad) as an example and asks for opinion, it doesn't matter how much experience the person pointing it out has - the fact that it was pointed out means: enough.

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jul 8 2007, 11:59 AM
Post #86

Shooting Target

Someone capable of sustaining a long-term, stable campaign is obviously already capable of avoiding the fatal mistakes of GMing.

To opine otherwise smacks of frustrated wish fulfilment.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 8 2007, 12:03 PM
Post #87

Hoppelhäschen 5000

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Someone capable of sustaining a long-term, stable campaign is obviously already capable of avoiding the fatal mistakes of GMing.

Glad you found out that 'fatal mistake' != 'basic mistake'.

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
To opine otherwise smacks of frustrated wish fulfilment.

You mean like starting a thread with bragging about oneself smacks of attention-whoring? :P

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jul 8 2007, 12:06 PM
Post #88

Shooting Target

You didn't catch the mocking irony of the first post?

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 8 2007, 12:09 PM
Post #89

Hoppelhäschen 5000

I caught the failed try of irony. It hurt.

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jul 8 2007, 01:17 PM
Post #90

Shooting Target

Failed, in this case, may lie in the eye of the beholder :P

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jul 8 2007, 04:59 PM
Post #91

Uncle Fisty

QUOTE (tisoz)

That is why when I see a title like this, then a good number of posts, then Last Post by: fistandantilus3.0, I have to check to see if it got interesting enough to lock. ;)

Locked threads are obvious from the forum. You need to look for the gold print. That means it's getting hot in here, and there's still some room to join the mess! :D

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jul 8 2007, 05:01 PM
Post #92

Uncle Fisty

Which reminds me ...

QUOTE (Rotbart)
You mean like starting a thread with bragging about oneself smacks of attention-whoring?

Stop trolling

+Quote Post
Nerf'd
post Jul 8 2007, 06:15 PM
Post #93

Target

Member No.: 12,075

Fairly early on I realized that if I stayed involved, it was going to turn into a pissing match - so I stepped back and just watched. I realize that everyone is not going to agree with my style, but I thought that the very fact that I still have the vast majority of my players would have counted for something.

Apparently not.

That being said, most of the the posters (with a few glaring exceptions) have been able to give me good feedback as to things I might change. I probably won't pull a trick like the TM rolling down a roof again, but that's a moot point - the player learned from the experience, and went on to play much better. Everyone laughed, everyone understood the lesson, and everyone went on. I never had to remind any of that group about being aware of their surroundings again - which, to me, is really the point.

So, to most of you, thank you for being forthright in your opinions, and forthcoming with your suggestions. I have and will take them into account.

To those who un-named folks who got all hot under the collar about the rules - chill out. Funny thing about being GM, I seem to remember being told that I'm the ultimate arbiter of the rules, as long I'm not outright breaking them and making my players unhappy.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 8 2007, 06:42 PM
Post #94

Hoppelhäschen 5000

As this seems to be a general misunderstanding elaborated further in another thread:
QUOTE (Nerf'd)
I realize that everyone is not going to agree with my style, but I thought that the very fact that I still have the vast majority of my players would have counted for something.

Look, this point is trivial. Neither can we verify that fact, nor does it matter when asking for opinions.
In fact, if everyone would agree with you, it would be trivial, too - as there is no new information.

QUOTE (Nerf'd)
Funny thing about being GM, I seem to remember being told that I'm the ultimate arbiter of the rules, as long I'm not outright breaking them and making my players unhappy.

Well, if you are 'the ultimate arbiter of the rules', you can't really break them...

+Quote Post
tweak
post Jul 8 2007, 06:48 PM
Post #95

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,622

The reason why I play is to have a good time. If the GM doesn't get that concept, then I'm not interested in playing.

Now, the Shadowrun book does provide for different types of play. But the players have to agree that they will have a good time playing a detailed game like the OP runs.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Jul 8 2007, 07:37 PM
Post #96

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

I waited a while to see what the majority was going to decide before I ventured an opinion...

Not really. I just didn't care that much and I didn't have much to contribute until now.

From your intial post, I was leaning toward you were mistaken and not really a brutal GM but a jerk. But then when some people offered some criticism and you followed up with a post or so giving further details, especially the rooftop explanation, I thought you were being pretty fair.

It works that way a lot around here. Someone posts the bare parts of the story. They get smacked around. More of the story gets revealed. The new details put an entirely different slant on the story.

That's why I was so patient before offering an opinion.

+Quote Post
starkebn
post Jul 8 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #97

Target

Member No.: 9,443

QUOTE (Nerf'd)
Hell, I even asked the TM :

"So you're just going to go full VR?"

"Yes"

"Standing up"

"Yes"

Actions have consequences.  I don't demand that people state that they are eating, or putting on clothes - but if an action is directly related to what they are doing I do want them to think it through.

I'm a lot late to the conversation, but in a case like this I would prefer a GM I was playing with to have the conversation like this:

"Yes"

"If you do it standing up you'll fall off when you go limp"

"...umm"

This way I'm reminded of what the consequences might be. In your case I would guess the player wasn't fully aware they would go limp during full VR. You thought you asked whether he wanted to do something stupid but really you just asked a cryptic question that people can miss the meaning of.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jul 8 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #98

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (Nerf'd)
Fairly early on I realized that if I stayed involved, it was going to turn into a pissing match - so I stepped back and just watched. I realize that everyone is not going to agree with my style, but I thought that the very fact that I still have the vast majority of my players would have counted for something.

Apparently not.

That being said, most of the the posters (with a few glaring exceptions) have been able to give me good feedback as to things I might change.

To those who un-named folks who got all hot under the collar about the rules - chill out. Funny thing about being GM, I seem to remember being told that I'm the ultimate arbiter of the rules, as long I'm not outright breaking them and making my players unhappy.

This passive-aggressive post, and the anti "roll playing" one before it, makes me think that you didn't really want people to answer your question about whether or not you're a brutal GM. It also implies that you see many of your critics as somehow unworthy to comment on you, either because they are "roll players" or because your players seem to be happy and therefore any critiques are actually irrelevant.

If that's the way you feel, why did you make a thread on a discussion board in the first place?

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jul 9 2007, 12:32 AM
Post #99

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Okay. That's enough trolling and baiting for one thread. If you can manage to make this constructive in any way in the next few posts, it stays open. Otherwise, it's getting closed.

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Jul 9 2007, 04:08 AM
Post #100

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 5,872

QUOTE (starkebn)
QUOTE (Nerf'd)
Hell, I even asked the TM :

"Yes"

"Standing up"

"Yes"

Actions have consequences.  I don't demand that people state that they are eating, or putting on clothes - but if an action is directly related to what they are doing I do want them to think it through.

I'm a lot late to the conversation, but in a case like this I would prefer a GM I was playing with to have the conversation like this:

"Yes"

"If you do it standing up you'll fall off when you go limp"

"...umm"

This way I'm reminded of what the consequences might be. In your case I would guess the player wasn't fully aware they would go limp during full VR. You thought you asked whether he wanted to do something stupid but really you just asked a cryptic question that people can miss the meaning of.

yeah thats what I generally prefer for the lets call them obvious oversights or lack of knowledge problems. Since no one was hurt it was just a sort of in game lesson I don't think it was a bad method for handling the problem though. Though honestly I probably would of just assumed the person sat down. If he hadn't asked for clarifcation about doing it standing and I was the TM, lets just say you'd probably get at the very least an eye roll.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:03 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.