IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Conceptualizing the Wireless World..., read & re-read & still utterly confused
Method
post Jul 13 2007, 02:45 AM
Post #1

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

I need help!! :(

I'm gearing up to GM a game for some friends. We are all old school SR players (about 18 years) who haven't yet played 4th edtion together. Obviously one of the biggest changes will be the Wireless Matrix, but even as the GM I've had a hard time conceptualizing the new system myself, let alone being able to describe it to "new" players.

Before I start, let me say that I know very little about real life wireless computer networking. But I have searched the forums extensively. I've read countless posts, the official FAQ, Serbitar's Guide to the Matrix, knassers example Matrix sites, wikipedia's page about TCP/IP, and the Wireless World section of the core rule book (numerous times). I just can't seem to put it all together in my head. To be honest I don't even know where to start so this will probably come off as a stream of random questions.

I guess Subscription would be a good place.

----------------------------------------------------------------

1.) Is there a distinction between a device and a node? Obviously you subscribe devices, but according to the RAW you must also subscribe nodes in order to access them right? So do you have to log on to a node to subscribe it or subscribe a node to log on to it? Does your subscription limit (p.212) encompass both nodes and devices (if theres any difference)?

2.) I've heard some describe a "hardware vs. logic vs. software layer model" (hobgoblin IIRC), but the book doesn't make such distinctions. The closest I can figure is your commlink opperates on at least three sepperate levels, each distinct from the others:

a.) A level for linking (and exchanging data) between devices subscribed to your PAN (hardware)
b.) A level for interacting with other PANs and your AR environment.
c.) A level for direct communication with the Matrix (data search, text messaging, bank transactions, etc).

Is that at all correct? If so, don't devices and matrix nodes opperate on two distinct levels (a and b respectively)?

3.) I've heard subscription described simply as "a connection that can be used to access a node". So if you subscribe a node or device you don't have to log on to access it from that point on? If so what account privilages (p.216) does that access have? I've also heard subscription described as being "like your favorites in Internet Explorer". Isn't the subscription list more like your favorites?

4.) Do you need to subscribe to someones PAN to share data with them (images, txts etc) and do they need to subscribe to your's to receive it? How would a shadowrunning team be networked? It seems unlikely that every member of the team would have a commlink with enough open subscription slots to subscribe every other member of the team.

5.) If a device is subscribed to a PAN, can someone else try to subscribe it? The FAQ makes mention of as-of-yet unreleased rules that say you can "slave" a node, which would seem to imply that one can subscribe a node already subscribed to someone else. If thats the case why hack or spoof anything? Couldn't you just subscribe it and issue legitimate commands?

6.) The FAQ states pretty explicitly that you don't need to subscribe a node to hack it, but you do need to log on. So once you log on you have access to that node but you loose it if you leave the node (see #3 above)? Couldn't you access any number of nodes by hacking if it doesn't require a subscription slot?

7.) Do items linked to your comm by fiber optic cable count toward you subscription limit?

8.) Does a character need to spend an action to add a node or device to his/her subscription list? Does a character have to spend an action to link a new device?

9.) Can you link items together in an endless chain (example: can a smartgun be subscribed to your cybereyes and the cybereyes in turn to your PAN)? And if so, does one node have access to all the others in the chain? If thats the case, and everything has a wireless-enabled computer, couldn't you just wander about linking everything to everything else and not even worry about subscription limits?

But enough of that!! If anyone has the perfect analogy for conceptulizing subscription, I'd love to hear it. In the mean time, on to other things:

10.) What is the difference between your Commcode and your AccessID. The book seems to describe your commcode as your personal cell number or email address and the access ID as a characteristic of a hardware device (p.216). Wouldn't your commcode become part of your datatrail (and thus become a liability and need to be replaced regularly)?

11.) How is your access ID related to your account privilages? Where does a passcode come into play? If you have a passcode are you automatically subscribed to a node? Or automatically logged on?

12.) Does your PAN mode determine the account privilages of others who are accessing your PAN?

I think I'll stop there for now. My access to the internet maybe limited this week, but I'll make every effort to reply to any answers.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated!! :grinbig:

Method

[EDIT:for clarity, spelling and format]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kzt
post Jul 13 2007, 05:48 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,234

A lot of it I've just hand waved. The people writing this generally didn't have a clue how it would logically have to operate to be functional, and Frank has pointed out that two of the writers included rules that are diametrically opposed to one another about how tests work and the developer never seems to noticed. :( Or cared. :( :(

The computer rules just don't stand up to even superficial inspection, and the more you know about how stuff really works the worse it gets. Tron was silly when it came out and it hasn't gotten better with age, but they are still trying to preserve the flavor of it 25 years later.

The wireless matrix is a neat idea executed poorly. Make a rational decision about the questions and WRITE THEM DOWN, so it works the same way the next time the questions comes up in your game.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jul 13 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #3

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

A device can be a node, but not all devices are nodes. A device is a Matrix-capable machine, and a node is a place in the Matrix generated by a Matrix-capable device.

There would have to be several layers to a Matrix network, but for ease of play, it's easiest to just talk about the upper level(s). If Rob, Synner, and the rest figure out how the Matrix works on the lower levels, they don't necessarily have to tell us, they can just figure out what actions work and what don't based on how the lower level operations work.

Account privileges are based on the device. Basically, someone with an admin account on the device gets to choose what actions are allowed at each level. Most of the devices you're going to see in SR4 play will only have admin access, anyway (I include commlinks in this category, unless someone's set up their commlink as a server for some reason).

You don't need to subscribe to a teammate's PAN just to send them data. However, if you need a more robust connection (for real-time applications) or you need something from their commlink, you'll need a subscription.

Subscription is a two-way thing. It has to be okay with both devices, and you'd better believe that my drones have orders to only accept subscriptions from me.

Since it refers to an action ("subscribe"), I think when the FAQ states that subscription is part of hacking in, it means the Log On action that creates a connection is part of the hacking action.

I think that items linked to your comm by fiber optic cable do count toward your subscription limit. The limit is based on System, which is software, not hardware.

I believe that characters must spend an action to open a subscription, and that action is Log On.

It seems to me that a subscription is just an open line of communication. For example, if I want to command a bunch of drones in "Captain's Chair Mode," I'd need them to be subscribed to my commlink, so I can get real-time data and give real-time commands. With a subscription, I'm logged in and trusted, and don't have to use a Log On action to start controlling it.

Commcode vs. Access ID: It seems that one's commcode is like their email address, their IM screen name, or (to a lesser extent) their cell phone number; it is independent of what machine you are currently using. The Access ID is like a MAC address or IP address; it is used by the network to determine which device gets what packets.

Your commcode could be traced to your access ID, but there are anonymizers for that (they're mentioned in the book). I figure an anonymizer is a node that is running an agent or three, each taking a Spoof action every second; I doubt any Track attempt could keep up, so it's easy to just say "you get your email without being traced."

A node can have a "white list" of access IDs that automatically get access. For example, a garage door opener can be set to open for certain access IDs. However, if you get a new commlink, or you're borrowing somebody else's, you won't be able to open your garage door; this is where passcodes (and biometrics, and passkeys) come into play.

Aaron's Really Quick Guide to Modes:
  • Active: Everybody can see me, anybody can subscribe to me.
  • Passive: Everybody can see me, nobody subscribes without permission.
  • Hidden: Nobody can see me, nobody subscribes without permission.
High-class and high-security areas require active mode so that law enforcement and security forces can check your documentation without having to ask. They can also snoop into your PAN devices to see what devices you're carrying.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 13 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #4

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Method)
I need help!!

Here it is: You are already insane - give into it. :P

QUOTE (Method)
I guess Subscription would be a good place.

To go insane? Indeed.
No matter what the RAW says:

First, assume that there is a way of connecting to devices that doesn't need your Persona and is for things that don't need Tests.
Then assume that the Subscription Limit only limits three things: Agent and Drones under your direct control, and how many Personas you can toss around.

Thus, you can happily surf the net, chat all day long while watching hundres of live feeds at once, share files with all of your friends and use every device you are carrying... but the things that really matter (hacking and playing overlord), you only up to your subscription limit.

QUOTE (Method)
What is the difference between your Commcode and your AccessID.  The book seems to describe your commcode as your personal cell number or email address and the access ID as a characteristic of a hardware device (p.216).

That's pretty much it. Access ID is an IPv6 adress, then.

QUOTE (Method)
How is your access ID related to your account privilages?

It identifies you...

QUOTE (Method)
Where does a passcode come into play?

Where a password would.

QUOTE (Method)
If you have a passcode are you automatically subscribed to a node?  Or automatically logged on?

Only if you tell your commlink to auto-login.

QUOTE (Method)
Does your PAN mode determine the account privilages of others who are accessing your PAN?

No.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jul 13 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #5

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

All my takes, YMMV:
  1. A device is a generic term for any piece of electronic equipment. A node is an area of wireless coverage created by a device with a Signal rating. There have been a number of discussions involving subscription here in the forums and, I think, for the purposes of Subscription Lists, the concept between a device and the node it's creating, you subscribe to the device by being in communication via its node. Alternatively, a device without a node, you would have to connect to with wires in order to subscribe. In other words, the node is a communications medium. Thus, your subscription list contains the devices (drones, matrix hosts, coffee makers, etc.) with which you're willing to communicate and to communicate with them wirelessly, they must have a node or be connected to a device which has a node (like a coffee maker connected to a house's node).

2. I wouldn't personally worry about the level of detail you seem to describe in this question, but yeah, it looks okay. To me, though, all three levels are facilitated by communication with some form of device and there's no reason to split it up into three different types of communication, cognitively speaking.

3. The subscription list is like your favorites in IE; it's a list of devices with which you're willing to communicate. That's why they say that it's nigh infinite on p. 212. But, it's my point of view that the devices that you are actively communicating with are those which are actively subscribed and that's when the limit of System x 2 comes into play. More about subscriptions and subscribing can be found here.

4. Yes. If you're not subscribed with something, you cannot communicate with it. So, if you want to send images and other data to a team member, their PAN (which probably means their commlink unless they allow annonymous subscription directly to their cybereyes ( :eek: )) you can't send them the data. You could perform a 2070 email type and they could look at it later (even if later is a few seconds or moments later) but if you want real-time, synchronous communication, then you need a subscription.

Usually, I handwave team communiations because my players aren't interested in that level of detail. Also, as I state in the thread I linked above, only active communications approach the System x 2 limit. If you're not talking to Randy the Razorgirl, then her PAN can take a slot in your Subscription List (infinite) but not your Active Subscription List (limited to System x 2 subscriptions). Alternatively, for those who disagree with me, I suppose that you could by a high level commlink and use it to facilitate communications loading it with encryption, analyze, etc. so that said communication is protected. Then, the team all subscribe that one commlink and that one commlink just has to have enough of a System to subscribe the team.

5. Sure. If I'm making coffee on a matrix-capable coffee maker and Jimmy wants to as well, I can subscribe to it, tell it what coffee I want, then Jimmy can subscribe to it and tell what coffee he wants. As long as System x 2 + 1 people don't try to submit orders at the exact same time, the coffee maker will gladly handle all those subscriptions and move right along. For such a public device, no logging in may be necessary. But, many devices -- especially business appliances, vehicles, drones, matrix hosts, etc. -- may not allow access to many commands at such a level. When that's the case, you'll need to hack it.

For example, imagine a maglock. Just subscribing to the maglock's node might give you information about wither or not it's locked, when it was last unlocked, etc. If you hack it's node, however, and get access to the lock's internal logs and databases, you might be able to get more information, like who was the last person to unlock the door, for example. And, if it's not a legitimate command to unlock the door without a proper passcode, keycard, number sequence, etc. then you'd have to hack/spoof it if you wanted to unlock it without those credentials.

6. This is one case where I personally disagree with the FAQ. I fact, I'm not sure which question you're referring to, but a cursory glance at it a moment ago didn't yield the same understanding unto me that you seem to have. If you're hacking a node, it's my opinion that said hack will take up an active subscription slot on your commlink. However, it does not take up an active subscription slot for the node's device. How could that be? Well, it's my take from p. 212 that active subscriptions describe legitimate access. I take that interpretation from the sentence: "In game terms, your persona maintains a subscription list of nodes that you are accessing and that are allowed to establish communication with you" (emphasis mine). Thus, the FAQ could be said to be meaning that the node doesn't really subscribe you when you hack it, but you subscribe the node. This indicates, to me, the illegitimacy of the hack.

7. I don't have a RAW reference for it, but I'd say yes, if only for game balance purposes.

8. I'm not sure this is stated in the RAW, but I'd call it a free action to add a device to the subscription list if you have some form of DNI access to your commlink or a simple if you don't. As for linking a new device, if you mean to actively subscribe it then that's a simple action.

9. Yes, you can daisy chain your linkages. In fact, p. 212 seems to indicate that this is common so that your devices are are linked to your commlink which is, then, the only legitimate point of entry into your PAN. As for wandering around subscribing everything, technically yes, you could add all sorts of devices to your subscription list since it's infinite in length. But, you still couldn't actively subscribe to any more than System x 2 at once. I suppose the next arguement would be that you could command actively subscribed device A to command it's actively subscribed device B to do something, but depending on the order, the complexity, and the "intelligence" of the Pilot for A and B, you're command might get garbled in a "whisper down the alley" style way. For example, you might tell A to "shoot that guy" and A tells B to "shoot that guy" but "that guy" could be a different person by the time that B gets around to acting especially if A or B glitches their comprehension test.

10. I've always seen Commcode as a sort of identity for your commlink online. Like you said, it's an email address. If someone doesn't have you subscribed, then can send a message to your Commcode and you can get it later. The Access ID is more like a MAC address - it's an inherent part of your commlink and would take a Hardware test to change. This is more what I worry about on runs since it's conceivable that a system could record your Access ID and use that to track you down. Hence spoofing the datatrail and editing the logs to remove a record of your intrusion.

11. If you have a passcode, you can log onto the node and you'll have the privileges that are associated with that code's account. If you hack into a node on the fly, you're exploiting a flaw in the system to access it without needing a passcode. Probing the target seems to indicate that you might find a backdoor or some other artifact of programming allowing you multiple entries until the door is closed, an illegitimate passcode if you will.

Now, Access ID, in my opinoin, is unrelated to your account privileges. Access ID is an ID for your hardware. An account might be associated with a specific ID such that you'd need to hack the system in order to use an account -- a passcode -- with your current hardware, but that's the only connection that I'm seeing at this time.

12. No. PAN mode only determines how people can find your node. Their account comes with privileges. If you want Huggy the Love Troll to have Administrative access to your PAN, then you can grant him an account which has them, but if Randy the Razorgirl only deserves User access, then her account has only user access.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jul 13 2007, 01:36 PM
Post #6

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

Oh, and I should mention that Rotbart and I have competing interpretations on the rules. If we contradict each other, it's only par for the course :D

(no offense intended, Rotbart, just trying to head off understandable confusion by the original poster)

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 13 2007, 01:42 PM
Post #7

Hoppelhäschen 5000

QUOTE (Dashifen)
Oh, and I should mention that Rotbart and I have competing interpretations on the rules. If we contradict each other, it's only par for the course

(no offense intended, Rotbart, just trying to head off understandable confusion by the original poster)

Uhm... I don't interpret the RAW anymore regarding subscription. It's the way of madness.

Perhaps I should have made it more clear that my advice has nothing to do with the RAW anymore.

+Quote Post
Blog
post Jul 13 2007, 01:47 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,782

Not all of my explanations are cannon; but how I understand/feel that this system would work. Most of these devices in SR are designed to be used by the general public and therefore generally are easy to use and a lot of the whole subscription stuff can be glossed over.

QUOTE (Method)
1.) Is there a distinction between a device and a node? Obviously you subscribe devices, but according to the RAW you must also subscribe nodes in order to access them right?  So do you have to log on to a node to subscribe it or subscribe a node to log on to it?  Does your subscription limit (p.212) encompass both nodes and devices (if theres any difference)?

In the meat world its a hardware device. In the digital world its a node. They act as a hole for interaction between the two worlds. The node can have different presence levels in the digital world (active/passive/hidden)

QUOTE (Method)
2.) I've heard some describe a "hardware vs. logic vs. software layer model" (hobgoblin IIRC), but the book doesn't make such distinctions.  The closest I can figure is your commlink opperates on at least three sepperate levels, each distinct from the others:

a.) A level for linking (and exchanging data) between devices subscribed to your PAN (hardware)
b.) A level for interacting with other PANs and your AR environment.
c.) A level for direct communication with the Matrix (data search, text messaging, bank transactions, etc).

It falls down to what your doing.
Are you doing something with the physical device? Like say adding more memory: hardware
Are you doing something with running (hacking) programs? Like say watching who is connected to your node: software
Are you doing something which the GM would rather just get the roll over with quickly: logic

QUOTE (Method)

3.) I've heard subscription described simply as "a connection that can be used to access a node". So if you subscribe a node or device you don't have to log on to access it from that point on?  If so what account privilages (p.216) does that access have?  I've also heard subscription described as being "like your favorites in Internet Explorer".  Isn't the subscription list more like your favorites?

I view it as when trying to connect it will attempt to resolve a guest account access. If that fails or replies back that a username/pass is required then it would fall down to needing to hack.

Since this is a wireless world, you may not be subscribing directly to the node in question. You may be subscribed to a nearby node A. Which has a subscription list to C. Which it is subscribed to D etc etc. This is a transparent part of the game mechanics; if its connected to the matrix you can somehow get a connection to it.

QUOTE (Method)

4.) Do you need to subscribe to someones PAN to share data with them (images, txts etc) and do they need to subscribe to your's to receive it?  How would a shadowrunning team be networked?  It seems unlikely that every member of the team would have a commlink with enough open subscription slots to subscribe every other member of the team.

Your run network would be running in hidden. And only allow connection from the subscription list (your other runners). All other connection attempts should fire an alert and be forwarded to the hacker of the group.

Optionally one 'good' comlink can function as the com-central. All runners subscribe to that one and its good enough to hold that many subscriptions.

QUOTE (Method)

5.) If a device is subscribed to a PAN, can someone else try to subscribe it?  The FAQ makes mention of as-of-yet unreleased rules that say you can "slave" a node, which would seem to imply that one can subscribe a node already subscribed to someone else.  If thats the case why hack or spoof anything?  Couldn't you just subscribe it and issue legitimate commands?

Yes. It may require hacking. But if someone has their cybereyes connected to their comlink and its running in active mode. People can see what you see.

Commonly this is why runners have more then one comlink/node which serve different functions and DONT interact with you. (one for ID, one for PAN, one for run communication).

QUOTE (Method)

6.) The FAQ states pretty explicitly that you don't need to subscribe a node to hack it, but you do need to log on.  So once you log on you have access to that node but you loose it if you leave the node (see #3 above)? Couldn't you access any number of nodes by hacking if it doesn't require a subscription slot?

Hacking in is gaining access in a manner that does not follow the standard methods. Usually to gain privleges that are normally not allowed to the system.

When you log in you are subscribing. The methods you used to obtain the login did not take a subscription slot. (personal interpretation)

QUOTE (Method)

7.) Do items linked to your comm by fiber optic cable count toward you subscription limit?

Yes and no. The device only has so many ports to connect stuff too (think USB).

As long as the connected device is not another node like device (say chained comlinks) I would consider the wired device to be an extension of the device its connected to and therefore not require a subscription; ie in my mind the wired line port is a dedicated subscription port exempt from the wireless subscription listing.

QUOTE (Method)

8.) Does a character need to spend an action to add a node or device to his/her subscription list?  Does a character have to spend an action to link a new device?

No clue. We gloss over this in my games as typically thats a pre/post run thing.

QUOTE (Method)

9.) Can you link items together in an endless chain (example: can a smartgun be subscribed to your cybereyes and the cybereyes in turn to your PAN)? And if so, does one node have access to all the others in the chain? If thats the case, and everything has a wireless-enabled computer, couldn't you just wander about linking everything to everything else and not even worry about subscription limits?

Thats what makes wireless work. I dont have the signal to connect to china. But I know this access point over here connects to something over there to something over there and eventually i'm in china.

As a runner though.. Thats a LOT of your own data trail to leave laying around unmanaged. You *could* do this but I would expect that over time you would draw undesired attention to yourself.

QUOTE (Method)

10.) What is the difference between your Commcode and your AccessID.  The book seems to describe your commcode as your personal cell number or email address and the access ID as a characteristic of a hardware device (p.216).  Wouldn't your commcode become part of your datatrail (and thus become a liability and need to be replaced regularly)?

Commcode is what I would consider your 'mailbox' for phone/email/etc and AccessID what your device is. example: when runing in public mode. You accessID is being broadcasted out so other nearby devices can connect.

QUOTE (Method)

11.) How is your access ID related to your account privilages? Where does a passcode come into play?  If you have a passcode are you automatically subscribed to a node?  Or automatically logged on? 

Having the accessID allows you to find the device (often found snooping subscription lists of linked devices). To login you need a valid passcode or hacking. The account priviliges depend on what passcode you used

QUOTE (Method)

12.) Does your PAN mode determine the account privilages of others who are accessing your PAN?

Its rather transparent in the game mechanics. Assume if its a good chummer they have higher account privilages then a Guest account. But then again they probabaly actually have a personal account. Generally assume all logins have the least amount of privilages as is required to function. This is where hacking is key in that you can gain privilages which your account normally does not have.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jul 14 2007, 08:56 PM
Post #9

Street Doc

Thank you all for your replies. I think this is starting to pull it together for me!! :wobble:

More:

13.) So the only ways to log onto a node are:
- with a legitimate Access ID and Passcode (requiring a Complex Action but no test)
- hacking the node using an Exploit program?

14.) Access ID, Passcodes, Privileges- do I have this right:
- when attempting to log on/subscribe a node, the node identifies the potential user by their comm’s Access ID, which is essentially their “username�?
- the Passcode and Privileges are predetermined for the user account he/she is logging onto?

15.) Can any node be set to active/passive/hidden? For example, once I subscribe my cyberarm to my comm, can I order the cyberarm to go hidden to protect it from being hacked?

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Then assume that the Subscription Limit only limits three things: Agent and Drones under your direct control, and how many Personas you can toss around.

This interpretation seems to be in harmony with the rules as stated on p.212. I think this makes more sense, but tell me if I got this right:

In effect you are saying that all the devices in my PAN can stay subscribed (via the subscription list) but remain on “standby� unless they have something relevant to send to the comm (like targeting data from my smartlink that needs to be routed to my image link) on a minute by minute basis. Accessing nodes to perform operations (legit or hacking), running agents or drones on the other hands present a more constant drain on the system, and so these are continually subscribed while in operation. Is that at all close?

In effect one needs to think of the subscription list and limit as a dynamic, constantly changing, constantly updating interplay, that only determines what a character can access right then for any given action. Right?

QUOTE (Dashifen)
…all three levels are facilitated by communication with some form of device and there's no reason to split it up into three different types of communication, cognitively speaking.

Could you elaborate at all? How do you envision this working without needing a dedicated subscription slot for Matrix connection and any number of subscription slots to interface with all the local nodes and PANs you encounter?

QUOTE (Dashifen)
Thus, the FAQ could be said to be meaning that the node doesn't really subscribe you when you hack it, but you subscribe the node. This indicates, to me, the illegitimacy of the hack.

This makes sense. Thus you cannot preempt hacking attempts by cramming your comm full of subscriptions, right?

QUOTE (Blog)
…if someone has their cybereyes connected to their comlink and its running in active mode. People can see what you see.

This is a scary proposition. I interpreted the PAN modes as an indication of what data you are willingly transmitting, not how much access others have to your comm. Isn’t there any way to limit what a user can access in each mode?

Thanks again!! I'll post more as it comes to me.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 14 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #10

Hoppelhäschen 5000

QUOTE (Method)
In effect one needs to think of the subscription list and limit as a dynamic, constantly changing, constantly updating interplay, that only determines what a character can access right then for any given action.  Right?

Except I don't care about 'standby' or multiplexing or what else. ;)
Stuff just works, important stuff is limited.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jul 14 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #11

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Well personally I don't sunscribe to the theory that in Active mode you automatically broadcast everything, but what anyone even remotely interested in cyberware security should do is buy a Beta-grade datajack with skinlink adaptation and set all of your cyber to only talk to it using internal wiring. Then load your ( Responce 5 ) rated datajack up with as many ( Rating 4 ) Agents as you can fit and still only drop your responce down to four.

That way even if someone hacks into your comm system they still have to get through a very nasty chokepoint before they can even think about shuting down your eyes are making you shoot yourself.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jul 14 2007, 09:53 PM
Post #12

Street Doc

Okay, so maybe not a good example, but the point of my question was:

15.) Can any node be set to active/pasive/hidden?

+Quote Post
Method
post Jul 14 2007, 09:57 PM
Post #13

Street Doc

16.) Subscription and Logging On are synonymous?

+Quote Post
Zen Shooter01
post Jul 14 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,042

I take this thread as proof that the SR4 matrix rules are hopelessly wrecked. So wrecked, in fact, as to not just be bad, illogical, or unbalanced, but actually impenetrable - indecipherable gibberish.

Boy, I'm looking forward to Unwired.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jul 14 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #15

Street Doc

Zen Shooter01: I don't think my personal ignorance really proves anything. I appreciate your feedback, but the last thing I want is for this thread to degenerate into another "Why the Matrix is broken" thread...

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 14 2007, 10:22 PM
Post #16

Hoppelhäschen 5000

QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
indecipherable gibberish.

They are not Perl.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jul 14 2007, 11:04 PM
Post #17

Street Doc

And yet more...

17.) If your PAN is running in hidden mode, do you still receive messages (text, voicemail) routed to your commcode via the matrix? I could see it either way, since your comm probably queries your MSP for your messages every few minutes, but then if you aren't allowing subscription from surrounding nodes you can't very well access the 'trix, right?

18.) Along the same lines, what about data searches in hidden mode?

+Quote Post
kzt
post Jul 15 2007, 03:17 AM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

17 & 18: Logically you shouldn't be able to, but nothing in the rules suggest you can't. You can still make and receive live calls unless it is off. I'd argue that, at the least, that anyone knowing your comcode can find your physical location (with appropriate access to the various systems, legally or otherwise) unless you turn it off and go fully off-line.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jul 15 2007, 04:04 AM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

I'd compare hidden mode to being behind a NAT router or similar device. Any probing at your connection doesn't even show that a computer (or even a whole network) is hooked up at that address, but you can have outgoing connections just fine.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jul 15 2007, 10:49 AM
Post #20

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

i got the impression, in hidden mode, YOU can do whatever you want, but when someone tries to contact you, you're "not home"

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 15 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #21

Hoppelhäschen 5000

'Hidden Mode' is a joke. You aren't 'hiding'.

You are simply not broadcasting your presence, nor answering to broadcast presence requests. Think access point with SSID turned off. Or any old radio.

+Quote Post
redne
post Jul 15 2007, 12:29 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 5,955

You could say that the definition of "being hiding" is "not broadcasting your presence, nor answering to broadcast presence requests."

:D

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 15 2007, 12:57 PM
Post #23

Hoppelhäschen 5000

No. If you are just standing around in the plain open, you are not hiding. Even if everyone else is screaming "I'm here!".

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 15 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #24

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

ever heared the expression, hidden in plain sight?

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 15 2007, 04:50 PM
Post #25

Hoppelhäschen 5000

That's done by being louder than the rest. ;)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:31 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.