Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Regaining Consciousness
Dashifen
post Jul 24 2007, 01:03 PM
Post #1

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

Anyone got the reference for how long it takes to regain consciousness? This came up in one of my games and I couldn't find it after a cursory look in the Healing section of the book. It clearly talks about how long it takes to heal the wounds, but not how long it takes to wake up. Probably, I just missed it and the resuscitation thread reminded me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jul 24 2007, 01:15 PM
Post #2

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Kind of buried in a different paragraph, but

P 153

"he or she does not regain consciousness
until some of the Stun damage is healed and removed
from the Stun column. See Healing, p. 242."

And then it base one hour interval for the stun recovery test.

Now what does this mean if you recover more then one stun box during that hour?

+Quote Post
Dread Polack
post Jul 24 2007, 03:04 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,822

Following the rules as closely as possible, I'd say you regain consciousness after an hour, provided you roll at least one hit on your Body + Willpower test.

A possible house rule is to divide the hour into fractions of the hits rolled. 2 hits means you heal a box after 30 min, 3 hits = 20 min, 4 hits = 15 min, etc. A critical success, or 5 hits, could either mean simply 12 minutes, or perhaps at a critical point advantageous to the PC.

I might let a PC burn an edge to immediately regain consciousness, healing boxes of Stun = 1 + the hits on a Body + Willpower test. This is sort of like the stun version of the Escape certain death roll. It's a little better though, since you might have lived otherwise. You could roleplay this as simple luck- it wasn't as bad as you thought, or an adrenaline rush, or any number of effects.

Dread Polack

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jul 24 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #4

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Kind of buried in a different paragraph, but

P 153

"he or she does not regain consciousness
until some of the Stun damage is healed and removed
from the Stun column. See Healing, p. 242."

And then it base one hour interval for the stun recovery test.

Now what does this mean if you recover more then one stun box during that hour?

Awesome; thanks.

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jul 24 2007, 07:01 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

For what it's worth, 3e used to require damage to be reduced to 6 boxes in both tracks (out of a standard 10).

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jul 24 2007, 11:08 PM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
For what it's worth, 3e used to require damage to be reduced to 6 boxes in both tracks (out of a standard 10).

That mechanic isn't possible under the SR4 rules, as you can't heal any Physical damage at all if the patient still has even one box of Stun damage.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 24 2007, 11:23 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

... say what? I feel bad for anyone undergoing professional (or nonprofessional) surgery. Must suck feeling every single slice and dice into your meatbody since they can't knock you out first.

Where is this rule found? If it's a legitimate one, I've found my first offical House Rule in the new system.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jul 24 2007, 11:36 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

who says they can't knock you out? not healing physical damage while you've got stun damage doesn't interfere with you being unconscious while they operate on you.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 24 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Traditionally, being knocked unconscious in this game was simulated with Stun damage. Particularly with the Surgery rules of old.

Either way it's still a very, very silly rule. Why can't they heal you of Physical damage simply because you got hit on the head? "I'm sorry sir, we can't sew up that wound right now. You have a mild headache. Come back once it clears up."

Anyway, I just found the rule (SR4 p. 242, "Physical Damage"). Healing can be done just fine if you have Stun damage. You can't heal Physical wounds through rest without healing your Stun damage first. That's easy to accept and is there to basically say you can only heal one hit point (:P) at a time, with Stun being healed before Physical, without medical attention.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jul 25 2007, 12:33 AM
Post #10

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Anyway, I just found the rule (SR4 p. 242, "Physical Damage"). Healing can be done just fine if you have Stun damage. You can't heal Physical wounds through rest without healing your Stun damage first.

Ah right. Two words make all the difference ... my bad.

+Quote Post
Ddays
post Jul 25 2007, 01:33 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,127

What is the board's opinion on using stim patches to wake up an unconscious person?

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jul 25 2007, 01:36 AM
Post #12

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Fantastically useful, if you want to deal with them for however long it lasts.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 06:30 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.