Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Regaining Consciousness
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dashifen
Anyone got the reference for how long it takes to regain consciousness? This came up in one of my games and I couldn't find it after a cursory look in the Healing section of the book. It clearly talks about how long it takes to heal the wounds, but not how long it takes to wake up. Probably, I just missed it and the resuscitation thread reminded me.
DireRadiant
Kind of buried in a different paragraph, but

P 153

"he or she does not regain consciousness
until some of the Stun damage is healed and removed
from the Stun column. See Healing, p. 242."

And then it base one hour interval for the stun recovery test.

Now what does this mean if you recover more then one stun box during that hour?
Dread Polack
Following the rules as closely as possible, I'd say you regain consciousness after an hour, provided you roll at least one hit on your Body + Willpower test.

A possible house rule is to divide the hour into fractions of the hits rolled. 2 hits means you heal a box after 30 min, 3 hits = 20 min, 4 hits = 15 min, etc. A critical success, or 5 hits, could either mean simply 12 minutes, or perhaps at a critical point advantageous to the PC.

I might let a PC burn an edge to immediately regain consciousness, healing boxes of Stun = 1 + the hits on a Body + Willpower test. This is sort of like the stun version of the Escape certain death roll. It's a little better though, since you might have lived otherwise. You could roleplay this as simple luck- it wasn't as bad as you thought, or an adrenaline rush, or any number of effects.

Dread Polack
Dashifen
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Kind of buried in a different paragraph, but

P 153

"he or she does not regain consciousness
until some of the Stun damage is healed and removed
from the Stun column. See Healing, p. 242."

And then it base one hour interval for the stun recovery test.

Now what does this mean if you recover more then one stun box during that hour?

Awesome; thanks.
Talia Invierno
For what it's worth, 3e used to require damage to be reduced to 6 boxes in both tracks (out of a standard 10).
Fortune
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
For what it's worth, 3e used to require damage to be reduced to 6 boxes in both tracks (out of a standard 10).

That mechanic isn't possible under the SR4 rules, as you can't heal any Physical damage at all if the patient still has even one box of Stun damage.
Ol' Scratch
... say what? I feel bad for anyone undergoing professional (or nonprofessional) surgery. Must suck feeling every single slice and dice into your meatbody since they can't knock you out first.

Where is this rule found? If it's a legitimate one, I've found my first offical House Rule in the new system.
Jaid
who says they can't knock you out? not healing physical damage while you've got stun damage doesn't interfere with you being unconscious while they operate on you.
Ol' Scratch
Traditionally, being knocked unconscious in this game was simulated with Stun damage. Particularly with the Surgery rules of old.

Either way it's still a very, very silly rule. Why can't they heal you of Physical damage simply because you got hit on the head? "I'm sorry sir, we can't sew up that wound right now. You have a mild headache. Come back once it clears up."

Anyway, I just found the rule (SR4 p. 242, "Physical Damage"). Healing can be done just fine if you have Stun damage. You can't heal Physical wounds through rest without healing your Stun damage first. That's easy to accept and is there to basically say you can only heal one hit point (nyahnyah.gif) at a time, with Stun being healed before Physical, without medical attention.
Fortune
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Anyway, I just found the rule (SR4 p. 242, "Physical Damage"). Healing can be done just fine if you have Stun damage. You can't heal Physical wounds through rest without healing your Stun damage first.

Ah right. Two words make all the difference ... my bad.
Ddays
What is the board's opinion on using stim patches to wake up an unconscious person?
Tarantula
Fantastically useful, if you want to deal with them for however long it lasts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012