IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are all well formed Traditions Balancedish?, Any 5 spirits + Any Drain Atribute ~= OK
WeaverMount
post Jul 25 2007, 09:17 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,309

So I've got some players asking about writing up a tradition. All the spirits seem to be fairly balanced again each other. Materialization vs. Possessions seems to be fairly balanced as well. And the RAW have used every mental stat for drain. Every other paradigm seems to be "I can do anything with magic because I understant X". Does it then fallow that all possible traditions are about equal in power and I should approve any tradition that fits the feel of my game? Any GM out there seen anything really abusive twinks stemming custom traditions, especially with a meta magic or two on them? I person don't see any problems, but in my experience magic in most games get broken easy. Customizable anything by PC/players gets broken easy, and drop bears swarm on customizable magic from greater ranges than sharks smell blood.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dancer
post Jul 25 2007, 09:45 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,659

I think spirits like Task and Guardian are more useful than elementals.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jul 25 2007, 09:52 AM
Post #3

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

There are some spirits that are more useful than others. The original ones from the BBB are generally not as useful as the ones in SM(exception of Man). Also if you look carefully, not all Mentors fit all the Traditions, some Mentors give bonuses to spirits that do not exist within certain Traditions. Also by canon, certain traditions - like Islam and Zoroaster are forbidden/restrict Mentor spirits.

+Quote Post
MK Ultra
post Jul 25 2007, 11:28 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 10,324

I agree with toturi (make the Khan prowd).

I.e., immagin a posession tradition with Guardian, Guidance, Task, Men and whatever + Channeling, and you get magical skillwires + the cool SoM Any-Spell Optional-Power!

However, besids philosophical restrictions (theurges don´t summon spirits without permission usually, some other traditions don´t use mentor-spirits (or only specific ones), some won´t regularly use combat-spells or mental manipulations or specific meta-techniques) there is one other equalizer and that´s availability.
I.e. you won´t find supplies/lodges/formulae/teachers/ritual-partners as easily for less common traditions. So, if someone comes up with a relativly powerfull tradition, you can balance them a bit by telling the player, that they will have a hard time finding stuff for their paradigm in your game-setting.

+Quote Post
Eleazar
post Jul 25 2007, 11:42 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,130

For the whatever slot you could put Air Spirits. They seem to be the most helpful of the elementals.

+Quote Post
DTFarstar
post Jul 25 2007, 12:14 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 9,421

MK, you mean something like possession Tradition

Combat - Guardian
Detection - Water
Health - Man
Illusion - Guidance
Manipulation - Task

Drain : Willpower + Charisma

?
Because I'm playing that, and you are right. It's an AWESOME combination of spirits when combined with Channeling(first thing I spent karma on). It's on page 42 of SM, the Voodoo Tradition, so it's not even a twinked out player tradition, only way I see to make it better is have it be air or plant instead of water for Detection.

Chris

+Quote Post
Buster
post Jul 25 2007, 01:44 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 11,869

QUOTE (Eleazar)
For the whatever slot you could put Air Spirits. They seem to be the most helpful of the elementals.

Why?

+Quote Post
Buster
post Jul 25 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #8

Running Target

QUOTE (MK Ultra)
...the cool SoM Any-Spell Optional-Power!

Not quite, it has to be a spell you already know.

+Quote Post
Buster
post Jul 25 2007, 01:57 PM
Post #9

Running Target

But you're right about Task spirits: Any-Tech-Or-Physical-Skill optional-power FTW! It's like having Skillwires with a rating equal to your Magic attribute and with infinite free skillsofts.

Forget a docwagon contract, just summon a task spirit with First Aid and/or Medicine and you're golden.

Need a cyberimplant installed but don't want a free head bomb implant to go with it? Forget the local street doc, just summon a task spirit with Medicine and Cybertechnology.

Need a new ID? Forget trusting your life to a local forger, just summon a task spirit with Forgery.

Need raw materials for binding or enchanting? Just summon a task spirit with Skill (Survival) and Skill (Geology/Botany/etc) (and Psychokinesis if you're a possession tradition) to go get it for you.

+Quote Post
Buster
post Jul 25 2007, 02:08 PM
Post #10

Running Target

QUOTE (DTFarstar @ Jul 25 2007, 07:14 AM)
MK, you mean something like possession Tradition

Combat - Guardian
Detection - Water
Health - Man
Illusion - Guidance
Manipulation - Task

Drain : Willpower + Charisma

?
Because I'm playing that, and you are right. It's an AWESOME combination of spirits when combined with Channeling(first thing I spent karma on). It's on page 42 of SM, the Voodoo Tradition, so it's not even a twinked out player tradition, only way I see to make it better is have it be air or plant instead of water for Detection.

Chris

I've always thought that voodoo was one of the most annoying traditions, but with the new spirits they get, I don't play anything else. So as a powergamer, I can say from my (limited) experience, the traditions are not balanced.

Personally, I don't see any reason why spirits aren't a-la-carte for all traditions. It isn't hard to justify ANY spirit for any tradition. For example, voodoo could just as easily get air or fire spirits as water spirits. Qabbala could just as easily get guardian spirits and guidance spirits as elementals. Just something to keep in mind for SR5...

+Quote Post
Sereth
post Jul 25 2007, 02:34 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 10,465

QUOTE (DTFarstar)
only way I see to make it better is have it be air or plant instead of water for Detection.

I would have to modify this statement by removing air as an improvement. Water gives you two additional powers that are not redundant with others powers from spirits on this list, (unlike those powers gained in getting an air elemental) namely binding and weather control, the last of which is unique to this elemental. Plant, however, is tough to give up, primarily due to the Regeneration power you get through invoking (made especially useful in possession traditions). The only other spirit type I'd consider is beast, and that only because of the Paralyzing Howl ability, though I imagine that finding a Barghast and inhabiting him with an ally spirit would be a good way to get the ability if you decide to skip out on beast spirits. Then again, I supose you could always do the same with a wendigo or vampire to get regenerate...

Hmmm...I wonder if there is such a thing as a vampire barghast...

+Quote Post
Buster
post Jul 25 2007, 02:36 PM
Post #12

Running Target

This might be a good houserule:
With a little thought, you can justify any spirit belonging to any tradition. Therefore when a character learns Summoning, he starts out knowing how to summon Watchers and any 5 spirits. For every additional kind of spirit you want to know how to summon, you can spend 3 BP or 5 karma (just like learning spells). Any tradition can pick any spirit, but traditionally members of certain traditions don't bother learning to summon some spirits. Therefore, the spirits listed for each tradition are what the general population usually picks, but the players are not limited to those spirits.

This should balance traditions perfectly and I can finally ditch the voodoo tradition and this annoying Creole accent.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Jul 25 2007, 04:30 PM
Post #13

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Every spirit has a "selling point". For Water Spirits it's Weather Control, for Task and Guardian spirits it's the amazing Skill power, for plants it's Silence, for Guidance it's Divination, for Air Spirit's it's the highest attack and defense pools in the game.

Earth and Fire fall rather flat actually. Their selling points just don't mechanically matter that much. Earth gets all the powers you need for civillian life withut resorting to optional powers and has the highest strength in the game. Unfortunately, the game fouses in on what you do with Force 5 spirits during runs, not on what you do around the house with Force 2s. Also the lifting and carrying rules are non-functional, so having the strongest spirit is in many cases a disadvantage (in that it might cause the game master to look up what it can supposedly carry - which is less than a donkey despite being stronger than is reasonable). Fire Spirits have the deadliest engulf and a built-in energy aura. They do stupidly more melee damage than anything else in the game. But honestly, I don't grab spirits for their melee damage, I grab them to control the fucking weather - so "most melee damage" is a pretty mediocre prize.

It's not that Earth and Fire don't have a selling point, it's that due to the structure of Shadowrunning (and flaws in the carrying capacity rules) player characters don't usually care about those selling points.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Sereth
post Jul 25 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 10,465

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
for Task and Guardian spirits it's the amazing Skill power

In regards to this, I was curious, is this treated as a "power" for purposes of endowment?

Also, you mentioned silence as plant's major selling point...this power just doen't strike me as that effective compared to simply using a spirit of man with a silence spell instead. Maybe I missed something though, I don't have the books right here, so let me know if I did.

+Quote Post
Particle_Beam
post Jul 25 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,909

In regards to this, I was curious, is this treated as a "power" for purposes of endowment?
I guess not, because though it is listed in the optional powers listing, it's still only a skill, that can be given instead of a normal optional power.
Also, you mentioned silence as plant's major selling point...this power just doen't strike me as that effective compared to simply using a spirit of man with a silence spell instead. Maybe I missed something though, I don't have the books right here, so let me know if I did.
That can only be done if the summoner does know spellcasting and the silence spell at all. And not everyone has that spell.

+Quote Post
Kyrn
post Jul 25 2007, 06:50 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 815

Ummm...I'm AFMB for the summer, but how exactly does this magical skillsoft system work? I'm hoping drain plays a big factor, as my Cajun accent is only slightly less awful than my generic "Island" accent.

+Quote Post
Kyrn
post Jul 25 2007, 06:52 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 815

Actually, the idea of playing a gigantic cowardly Troll houngan from the Carib League is suddenly terrifyingly appealing to me.

"Bombaclate! Dem drones be heading right for us. Run for it boyz!"

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jul 25 2007, 07:04 PM
Post #18

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (Kyrn)
Ummm...I'm AFMB for the summer, but how exactly does this magical skillsoft system work? I'm hoping drain plays a big factor, as my Cajun accent is only slightly less awful than my generic "Island" accent.

I think they mean that you can summon up Task/Guardian spirits with a specific skill that you don't have and then with the Channeling Metamagic, you can "gain" that skill for the duration of the possession. Something like skillwires for a one-at-a-time needed skill.

+Quote Post
Vaevictis
post Jul 25 2007, 08:15 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,441

IMO, using the skill in that scenario takes up a service -- it is listed as a power after all.

But it's still pretty effective.

It's especially effective if you use it with an ally spirit -- you can buy a new power for 5 karma (or just the skill) and the rating of the skill is set to the spirit's force. You don't get to change it around at will, but still, it's much cheaper than learning the skill normally.

+Quote Post
Buster
post Jul 25 2007, 08:36 PM
Post #20

Running Target

QUOTE (Sereth)

Yes, the spirit power "Skill" is a spirit power and therefore can be passed via Endowment.

+Quote Post
Buster
post Jul 25 2007, 08:37 PM
Post #21

Running Target

QUOTE (Sereth)

The difference is that with a spirit of Man, you have to know the Silence spell yourself before the spirit can be given the spell.

+Quote Post
Buster
post Jul 25 2007, 08:42 PM
Post #22

Running Target

QUOTE (Dashifen)
QUOTE (Kyrn @ Jul 25 2007, 01:50 PM)
Ummm...I'm AFMB for the summer, but how exactly does this magical skillsoft system work?  I'm hoping drain plays a big factor, as my Cajun accent is only slightly less awful than my generic "Island" accent.

I think they mean that you can summon up Task/Guardian spirits with a specific skill that you don't have and then with the Channeling Metamagic, you can "gain" that skill for the duration of the possession. Something like skillwires for a one-at-a-time needed skill.

Also, you don't need Channeling if you just want "someone" to perform the task you need done. Normally you would have skillsofts to become the ultimate jack of all trades, but if you can summon task spirits, you save yourself a lot of money (and a lot of effort) by making your task spirit do the work for you.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jul 25 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #23

Technomancer

QUOTE (Buster)
Also, you don't need Channeling if you just want "someone" to perform the task you need done.

Good point.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 25 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

QUOTE (Buster)
Yes, the spirit power "Skill" is a spirit power and therefore can be passed via Endowment.

No it's not. SR4 pp 286-290 and SM pp. 98-103 list spirits powers, none of which are Skill. Task Spirits have a unique trait that can be taken in place of an optional power, and specifically describes it as such.

SM p. 98, Task Spirits, Optional Powers: "Skill (a task spirit may be given an additional Technical or Physical skill instead of an optional power)."

That said, someone using Channeling can still have the possessing task spirit use their Technical or Physical skill as a service, but then it's little different than if the task spirit was a materialized spirit instead.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jul 25 2007, 09:49 PM
Post #25

Technomancer

I don't know that I can agree with that. The fact that it's listed under "Optional Powers" for the Task/Guardian spirit indicates to me that it is, in fact, an optional power. The reason it's not listed in the two sections mentioned by Dr. Funk is that all this power does is grant a skill and skills are defined elsewhere.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:55 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.