Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Augmentation Q&A, Ask the developers and the authors
Synner
post Jul 27 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 185

Rather than hogging the Augmentation thread and sprinkling replies to questions that are coming up in 4-5 other threads, I thought I might as well open a topic and concentrate doubts and questions here. It'll also give the authors and myself the chance to offer some answers to your questions about the book (within reason, of course) without having to follow a bunch of different thread.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Jul 27 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jul 27 2007, 11:16 PM)
Hm. Is it just me, or are there no actual rules concerning the detection of Genetech, though Masking has an option of increasing the threshold by 1?

The absence of DNA scanners is at least partially an unfortunate result of the change in the release schedule. Arsenal will contain such forensic devices, we had expected it to be out first. Those who need a rule can use the Diagnostics rules in the Medtech chapter.

And what exactly does the 'free' of the Genetic Heritage quality mean? No Nuyen? No Essence? Both?

"Free" refers to the nuyen cost only.

So a being can be born with less than 6 essence? That's interesting...

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jul 27 2007, 11:42 PM
Post #3

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Although not a purely AUG question, is it legal to install ultrasound, radar, datajacks, ect into a cybereye system ala Third Editon or are cybereyes limited to "eyeware" selections?

+Quote Post
Sterling
post Jul 28 2007, 12:24 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,885

Now I feel silly for opening up my whole 'cyberlimb melee damage' thread.

Is there any official update to the unarmed damage a cyberlimb does in melee?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 28 2007, 12:47 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

None that I saw. It's an oddity that's (not?) been found those rules for a good long time, asside from a mild Power boost in 3rd Edition.

+Quote Post
Chaucer
post Jul 28 2007, 12:54 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 12,388

I have a couple of questions concerning the Type O System positive quality.

1. Does purchasing a bioware grade that is above "off the rack" quality give any benefit to someone with this quality? In other words, do the essence reduction bonuses from alpha and better grade bioware stack with the 0.5 reduction bonus granted by Type O System?

2. Do the benefits provided by Type O System have any effect on cultured bioware?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Synner
post Jul 28 2007, 12:56 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (Ravor)
Although not a purely AUG question, is it legal to install ultrasound, radar, datajacks, ect into a cybereye system ala Third Editon or are cybereyes limited to "eyeware" selections?

Cybereyes are indeed limited to "Eyewear" options. Datajacks are now mostly redundant in that function what with wireless links and both Ultrasound and Radar sensor require more than simple visual sensors in SR4.

QUOTE (Sterling)
Is there any official update to the unarmed damage a cyberlimb does in melee?

No, and that's actually an oversight on my part. It was left out of Tweaking the Rules by accident and will likely appear in future errata. The suggested Optional Rule is Strength/2P. With the new customized limbs and the option of redlining Strength that can be quite powerful.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jul 28 2007, 01:25 AM
Post #8

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

QUOTE (Synner)
Cybereyes are indeed limited to "Eyewear" options. Datajacks are now mostly redundant in that function what with wireless links and both Ultrasound and Radar sensor require more than simple visual sensors in SR4.

Fair enough, although the Bounty Hunter sample character needs an errata because he has ultrasound installed in his cyberyes.

If you are using an implanted smartlink what else do you need to be able to issue mental commands to your gun? Just a Datajack/Trodenet or an actual sim-module? (In fact is a sim-module needed to issue mental commands to your non-implanted gear in general?)

Also how does your answer affect people using smart-glasses instead of the implanted version?

Thanks,

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jul 28 2007, 01:38 AM
Post #9

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Quick answer from someone not official: Implanted comes with a DNI, so you need nothing. Smart-glasses you'd need a datajack/trodenet and a connection between the two (wired or wireless).

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 28 2007, 01:54 AM
Post #10

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Eh, let's ask anyway: What happened to implanted medkits like the Med-Alert and Guardian Angel?

+Quote Post
Large Mike
post Jul 28 2007, 01:56 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 2,062

The Penile Implant has capacity. That's not a question, just an observation.

Also, shark skin would kinda ruin your sex life, no?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 28 2007, 02:01 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jul 27 2007, 07:54 PM)
Eh, let's ask anyway: What happened to implanted medkits like the Med-Alert and Guardian Angel?

I saw a few references to them, but none of the ones I saw approach the (nearly overpowered) Guardian Angel system of old. Which is a good thing considering how First Aid works in this edition.

They got rid of the brand-names of a few other implants (Kid Stealth Legs, for example; a name I always hated as there's nothing stealthy about a God damn cyberfreak with chicken legs... bah!), so I'm sure those various implanted medkits are filling the given role of a GA system. ie, an implanted Medkit.

Keep in mind that standard medkits in SR4 have a limited AI and can function independently if hooked up to someone.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jul 28 2007, 02:03 AM
Post #13

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Large Mike)
Also, shark skin would kinda ruin your sex life, no?

Depends on the nature of your sex life, wouldn't it? ;) :D

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jul 28 2007, 02:08 AM
Post #14

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Only if they don't have dermal plating. ;)

+Quote Post
Large Mike
post Jul 28 2007, 02:09 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 2,062

Speaking as someone who likes it as what would be defined as 'rough', yes. Ow. It'd be like whiskerburn that scrapes away layers of skin *everywhere*. I don't think anyone is into that kind of grating, indiscriminate pain.

Unless someone wants to step forward and expand my horizons.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 28 2007, 02:13 AM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

There are fetishes out there for getting your testicles trampled. Somehow, I have very little trouble with Sharksin in that kind of a world. Especially since there's other implants out there to help protect against any minor damage from such activities, magical healing, and etc.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Jul 28 2007, 02:41 AM
Post #17

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

QUOTE (Chaucer)
I have a couple of questions concerning the Type O System positive quality.

1. Does purchasing a bioware grade that is above "off the rack" quality give any benefit to someone with this quality? In other words, do the essence reduction bonuses from alpha and better grade bioware stack with the 0.5 reduction bonus granted by Type O System?

2. Do the benefits provided by Type O System have any effect on cultured bioware?

Thanks!

Take this with something of a grain of salt, as the last time I saw the Type-O System quality in galley proofs it erroneously stated that you were a universal receiver rather than a universal donor, so I haven't seen the final wording yet.

But conceptually, being a Type-O system would leave you perfectly matched to the standard bioware that is off-the-rack (since you're actually one of the people they use to make off-the-rack bioware). Thusly, a standard grade platelet factory would have the same relationship to you that a delta grade version would to anyone else - already laboriously genetyped and matched to surface protein expectations of your own body.

As such, delta grade bioware would have no meaning to you - really it would just be a way to flush money down the toilet because your body is already matched to the stuff that they keep in refridgerators in case someone needs a transplant in a hurry.

---

Cultured Bioware has to be made to your body regardless (as the nervous system quite importantly does not follow exactly the same pathways in different people and is not transportable as a distinct organ), so there really isn't an "off-the-rack" model that they can just throw into you. So it'll still take time to grow you one to your specs.

A good argument can thus be made either way. But if Type O costs anything like what it did in galley proofs, having it apply to cultured ware as well is reasonable. The standard cerebral booster shell has to be grown and contorted to fit your brain - but once it is attached it happens to fit your system as well as one that was custom fitted by a delta clinic to a person with the random and unique protein markers one normally finds.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Zen Shooter01
post Jul 28 2007, 02:44 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,042

Could we talk less about testicle trampling?

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Jul 28 2007, 02:48 AM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

Why does a penile implant take up capacity in a Cyber Torso, while a cybernetic balance tail does not?

Why does cyber eyes take up capacity from a cyber skull, while cat's eyes and troll eyes do not?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 28 2007, 02:50 AM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Why does cyber eyes take up capacity from a cyber skull, while cat's eyes and troll eyes do not?

...they don't. In fact, the rules are pretty clear otherwise unless it's hidden in some flavor text somewhere. Implants that take up Essence but don't have a [ Capacity ] listing are not installed in a cyberlimb, but in the "meat body" instead.

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Jul 28 2007, 02:54 AM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jul 27 2007, 08:48 PM)

...they don't. In fact, the rules are pretty clear otherwise unless it's hidden in some flavor text somewhere. Implants that take up Essence but don't have a [ Capacity ] listing are not installed in a cyberlimb, but in the "meat body" instead.

Again the example of the cybernetic balance tail, by what you have said it can not be installed on a cyber limb. :D

Again this is beginning of another case of Text Wars of RAW.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 28 2007, 02:58 AM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jul 27 2007, 08:54 PM)
Again the example of the cybernetic balance tail, by what you have said it can not be installed on a cyber limb. :D

Because it can't. It's not a cyberlimb accessory. You pay Essence to have a Balance Tail installed whether you have a Cybertorso or not. Just like Wired Reflexes, Dermal Sheaths, or Bone Lacing. The last two probably aren't very good examples, but you get my point. Same goes for Cybereyes, single or paired.

See the rule mentioned above. It basically says "if it costs Essence and doesn't have a [ Capacity ] rating in braces, you can't install it in a cyberlimb."

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Jul 28 2007, 03:01 AM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jul 27 2007, 08:54 PM)

Because it can't. It's not a cyberlimb accessory. You pay Essence to have a Balance Tail installed whether you have a Cybertorso or not. Just like Wired Reflexes, Dermal Sheaths, or Bone Lacing. The last two probably aren't very good examples, but you get my point. Same goes for Cybereyes, single or paired.

See the rule mentioned above. It basically says "if it costs Essence and doesn't have a [ Capacity ] rating in braces, you can't install it in a cyberlimb."

OK cyber eyes and cyber ears can not be installed in a cyber limb also then, they have capacity but take up none. :) Also the same for the single cyber eye.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 28 2007, 03:02 AM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

You got it. :)

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Jul 28 2007, 03:03 AM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

You got it. :)

That is a CROCK.

+Quote Post

32 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2024 - 07:11 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.