Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mnemonic Enhancer
apple
post Nov 16 2003, 10:38 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,827

What are the new rules regarding the Karma-Costs for learning new skills with a Mnemonic Enhancer ("Mnemoverstärker" in German) in the Men&Machine revisited? Will they be brought online on the Homepage/Errata?

SYL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 16 2003, 10:44 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I've never heard of anything involving new rules for it. Can anyone state whether this is accurate or just a rumor?

~J

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 16 2003, 10:58 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

I haven't heard anything either, though I've been out of the loop for a while. I personally don't see any problem with it. Sure, it's a nice implant even without the Karma reducing effects, but in most games I've been in you don't receive ungodly amounts of Karma anyway... so it's rather nice to have a convenient way to improve/obtain a few skills even when you only get about 3-5 Karma per run.

In past discussions with people who had problems with it, I suggested that instead of removing those rules completely, change them so that they only help improve the time it takes to learn or improve a skill (such as adding extra dice for the learning test, or lowering the target number by its rating). Sure, few people I've played with have ever used the learning test rules (that's a bold faced lie -- no one has ever used them), but it still beats killing off an effect completely.

+Quote Post
apple
post Nov 16 2003, 10:59 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Well, it is said that during Ratcon 2003, a German RPG-Con, Rob said that the Karma-rules regarding the ME would be changed in the M&M revisited. That´s the reason of my question.

SYL

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Nov 16 2003, 11:18 PM
Post #5

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

I'd suggest taking a look at www.srrpg.com where I found this:

The Daily Buzz: November 16th, 2003
By request, we now have Shadows of Europe wallpaper available in 1600x1200 format.

Also available is Dead Man's Party by Jon Szeto, the second installment in our new online fiction area.
Early Next Week: New Man and Machine Errata

+Quote Post
apple
post Nov 23 2003, 09:55 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/resources/errata_mm.shtml

p. 73 Mnemonic Enhancer [4]
Under Game Effects, change the third paragraph to read:
Because memory retention is key to learning, the Karma cost for learning or improving skills and specializations is reduced by 1 (to a minimum of 1) for any character with a mnemonic enhancer.

YEAH! :rotfl:

+Quote Post
Kurukami
post Nov 23 2003, 05:30 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,242

That's a good balance. Nowhere near as outrageous as the original mechanic, but still a pleasant addition to stack on top of the language bonus and plus to Knowledge skills.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 23 2003, 05:39 PM
Post #8

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

so basicly the effect is no longer based on rating when it comes to any other skills then knowledge and languages...

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Nov 23 2003, 06:01 PM
Post #9

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

As far as errata goes, I'm not unhappy with any of the new M&M errata. It gives some and takes some and generally makes things work better.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Nov 23 2003, 06:04 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

Hmm. Interesting. The bit about bioware now reducing magic rating in a similar manner to cyber is definately a big difference. I'd prefer it if they made a descision one way or the other on the trauma dampener though.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Nov 23 2003, 06:06 PM
Post #11

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

QUOTE (Lilt)
I'd prefer it if they made a descision one way or the other on the trauma dampener though.

How so? It becomes semi-moot now anyway since the suggestion about cultured bioware not being available at char gen is officially canon now (as opposed to a FAQ suggestion).

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 23 2003, 06:19 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

It's not canon now, anymore than Aptitude (Pistols) is. It's just "recommended."

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Nov 23 2003, 06:43 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

This'll definitely change a few things.... Our team leader just got alot worse in 2/3rds of his skills (CJ ExpDriver ruling) while my PC is now completely unaffected by his 1 point of Bioware.

Guess we'll be re-working a certain PC in the upcoming week or so. :P

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Nov 23 2003, 06:44 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Geasa can be used to counteract magic loss from bioware and a character can still initiate to raise his Magic rating.

And bioware is finally on equal footing with cyberware for magical characters.

+Quote Post
Kurukami
post Nov 23 2003, 07:26 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,242

QUOTE (Sphynx)
This'll definitely change a few things.... Our team leader just got alot worse in 2/3rds of his skills (CJ ExpDriver ruling) while my PC is now completely unaffected by his 1 point of Bioware.

Guess we'll be re-working a certain PC in the upcoming week or so. :P

Sphynx

Um... did you read the example they provided? The Bio Index is divided by two to determine the amount of Magic you lose, but you still lose Magic. Here's the passage in question:

The effects of Bio Index and Essence reduction on Magic are cumulative, so the two should be combined before determining how Magic is affected. Magic has a starting value equal to the character's Essence minus (Bio Index ÷ 2), rounded down. So a starting magician with Essence 5.8 and a Bio Index of 1 begins with a Magic rating of 5 (5.8 - 0.5 = 5.3, rounded down to 5). Further increases in Bio Index (or reductions in Essence) may also affect the Magic rating whenever the total falls beneath a whole number. If the same magician later acquires more bioware, raising his Bio Index to 2, he will lose an additional point of Magic (5.8 - 1 = 4.8, rounded to 4).

Your PC is not completely unaffected by his one point of Bioware.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 23 2003, 07:28 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

He is if he only has 0.5 Essence worth of cyberware.

Now mages can get a Cybereye (EyeLight, Image Link, Low-Light, Vision Mag 3), Datajack, Internal Transducer, Knowsoft Link, Trauma Damper, and Enhanced Articulator(or)Menmonic Enhancer 3 for the low, low price of only -1 Magic. Or just about any other combo you like. Which can be geased away completely. Score.

I think I'm going to stick with our old house rule. Cyberware and Bioware affect Magic independantly, and Bio Index isn't divided in half. Bioware has always been geasable in our games.

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Nov 23 2003, 07:39 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

That sounds good :vegm:

No, I like the "no regain" rule. It made bioware, well, different.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Nov 23 2003, 09:24 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

QUOTE (Kurukami @ Nov 23 2003, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (Sphynx @ Nov 23 2003, 06:43 PM)

Guess we'll be re-working a certain PC in the upcoming week or so.  :P

Sphynx

Um... did you read the example they provided? The Bio Index is divided by two to determine the amount of Magic you lose, but you still lose Magic. Here's the passage in question:

Your PC is not completely unaffected by his one point of Bioware.

Not if the only Cyber I have is a Smartlink-2(Alpha) and CyberEyes w/ ImageLink+ (Alpha) for 0.48 essence total. :P

Sphynx

+Quote Post
last_of_the_grea...
post Nov 23 2003, 11:28 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 2,904

Gah! They NERF™ed my mnemonic enhancer! BAD Fanpro! BAD Wizkids! BAD everyone involved! I am most displeased!

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Nov 24 2003, 03:02 AM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

But to make up for it, your phys-ad can get enhanced articulation and a supra-thyroid for the loss of one point of magic.
+2 reaction, +1 to all physical stats and +1 to all physical skills. Holy crap.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Nov 24 2003, 05:40 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

Personally, I'm ignoring the half bio-index thing until I hear more about how it affects peoples games. My inner number-cruncher drools thinking about what else I can cram into a mage without significant effect. Now I can have the trauma damper, level 1 mnemonic enhancer, and 1.2 BI of whatever else I want for one measly geasable magic point?

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Nov 24 2003, 06:05 AM
Post #22

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Well, since we don't allow gaesa for voluntary magic loss like implants, I think it's just fine... a little easier for both players and NPC's, it affects everyone equally.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Nov 24 2003, 06:19 AM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

With the new rules, you could make one heck of a gun adept. Take Pistols/Specific Pistol: 5/7, Improved Ability/Pistols: 5, then get cybereyes (with low-light, flare compensation, and optical magnification: 3), a smartlink II, enhanced articulation, and a reflex recorder (of your specific pistol specialization). You start out slinging 14 dice, and can add up to 7 more from Combat Pool. Grade A bang-bang! 8)

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Nov 24 2003, 06:55 AM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

Yeah, the very next thing I thought of was an 8-BI bioware sammie as an adept with 4 geasa. It could get wonderfully gruesome.

+Quote Post
Mongoose
post Nov 24 2003, 07:26 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 227

Yah know, I still like my original playtest proposal for the ME karma reduction best. Simply put, the ME would "match spending" when you used karma to learn a skill, up to a number of "virtual akrma" equal to its rating. Once hit that cap, it didn't help you any further with that skill.

To much record keeping, I guess- you need to record how much karma the ME has "kicked in" towards every skill you have. But it does seem a heck of a lot more balanced, if also a hell of a lot more complicated to write a rule for.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:26 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.