Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ultimate Mundane Climber, Got bored, so here it is
Tarantula
post Aug 19 2007, 12:00 AM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,686

The ultimate starting mundane climber build, why? Because, theres a ton of stuff to facilitate it, and I have no idea how it could ever be useful.

BP 400
Race: Troll 40bp

Attributes:
Bod 5
Agi 1 (3)
Rea 1
Str 11(13) 65bp
Cha 1
Int 1
Log 1
Wil 1
145bp remaining for attributes

Qualities:
Aptitude (Climbing) 10bp
Exceptional Attribute (Strength) 20bp

Skills:
Climbing (Assisted) 7 (+2) 34bp

Gear: 34bp (Spend 167,700, 2,300 remaining)

Cyberware:
Core Book:
Balance Augmenter 0.1 ess 5,000 (+1)
Grapple Gun 0.4 ess(alpha) 3,000
Muscle Replacement 2 2 ess 10,000 (Str)
Aug:
Balance Tail 0.5 ess 5,500 (+2)
Grip Feet 0.3ess 6,000 (+2)
Magnetic System x4 1ess 4,800 (+4)
Retractable Climbing Clawsx2 0.4 ess 4,400 (+4)
Smart Articulation 0.8ess 15,000 (+1)

Essence Total:
Cost Total:

Bioware:
Core:
Synthacardium 3 0.3 ess 30,000 (+3)
Reflex Recorder (Climbing) 0.1 ess 10,000 (+1)
Aug:
Gecko Hands 0.1ess 12,000 (always assited & broken ground)
Gecko Feet 0.1ess 12,000 (+3)

Essence Total:
Cost Total:

Genetech:
Print Removal 0.1 25,000 Optional
Neo-EPO 0.2 25,000 (+1)

Essence Total:
Cost Total:

Grand Totals:
Essence:
5.5 (cyber) + .5 * ((0.6(bio) + 0.3(gene)= 0.9) = 0.45) = 5.95 Spent
0.05 essence remaining.
Cost:
167,700 Nuyen.

BP Remaining: 197. 145 availible for attributes. 16 availible for gear.

Total dice on a climbing test:
13 strength + 7 climbing + 2 (specalization; gecko hands is always considered assisted) + 1 (balance aug) + 2 (balance tail) + 2 (grip feet) + 4 (magnetic limbs (all of them) + 2 (ret. climbing claws) + 1 (smart articulation) + 3 (synthacardium) + 1 (reflex recorder) + 3 (gecko feet; balance) + 1 (Neo-EPO) = 42 dice for climbing. Assuming 1/3 hit, he'll average about 14 meters a combat turn. Or 280 meters a minute.

As far as the print removal, I figure if he's gonna be sticking his hands/feet to everything, its not really useful if they can identify its him.

Anything I forgot to throw in there for him?

Edit: Added a second set of ret. climbing claws, and an implanted grapple gun.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
neko128
post Aug 19 2007, 12:12 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,209

And he doesn't go over availability on anything, either?

That's just... Just... Ugh. Absurd, is the word that comes to mind. 42 dice pool for any test is excessive, let alone for a legal starting character.

Though he only has one initiative pass.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Aug 19 2007, 12:12 AM
Post #3

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...a character like this could make a good B&E expert but some of those Attribute BPs that are left over should go to a few extra skills.

+Quote Post
Slump
post Aug 19 2007, 12:16 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,492

I think he takes a 2nd story artists to a whole new level -- like a 100th floor artist. Basically, climb up the side of a building, punch the window in, grab the loot, and climb out, all in like 2 minutes. Sheesh.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Aug 19 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #5

Dragon

Yes availibility is 12 or less on everything. He does still have tons of BP free for just about anything you wanted, and can free up 40 more (20 exceptional attribute, 10 aptitude, 10 from 6 skill instead) just by losing a whole 2 dice to drop it down to 40 instead.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Aug 19 2007, 02:05 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

QUOTE (Tarantula)
Anything I forgot to throw in there for him?

I'm not sure, since I don't have Augmentation. Is enhanced articulation compatible with smart articulation, or is smart articulation an improved, cybernetic version of enhanced articulation?

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Aug 19 2007, 02:07 AM
Post #7

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

Not compatable and does slightly different things smart allows you to dislocate limbs etc, you want enhanced artic.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Aug 19 2007, 02:16 AM
Post #8

Dragon

Theres 3 kinds of articulation enhancement now. Enhanced, which gives you the +1 for physical tests. Elastic joints, which is also bioware, and lets you easily dislocate and such limbs, letting fit through spaces barely wider than your head. Then there smart articulation, cyber. It lets you reproduce elastic joints by setting it loose, and on a rigid setting helps with resisting subdual combat, as well as a bonus die for gymnastics and climbing tests.

None of them are compatible with any other. I chose smart because he gets a bonus die on climbing (just like enhanced would give him) but can also choose to make it loose to fit through a small or narrow gap (something enhanced can't reproduce).

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Aug 19 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #9

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

My reading of smart artic is that it gives you climbing bonuses for holding in position rather than actually moving, YMMV.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 19 2007, 01:04 PM
Post #10

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

heh, i kinda feel like rewriting the classic spider-man theme so that it talks about pider-troll. but i guess homer have allready upstaged that one.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Aug 19 2007, 05:50 PM
Post #11

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Speaking of Spiderman, you should add those Spidey Glands into the mix, just for fun.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Aug 19 2007, 06:53 PM
Post #12

Dragon

The spider glands are virtually worthless. They stick as well as packaging tape (so no swinging webstyle with 'em), and if he wanted to use them to rappel down, he'd have to tie them down to something first. Not worth it at all.

Besides, rappeling down is 20meters/turn, and he can just climb down at about 14meters/turn. Pretty good I think.

Ophis: Smart articulation says "+1 to gymnastics and climbing dice pools since the system takes the strain off joints when absorbing the characters weight for short amounts of time."

It doesn't say "only while moving" or "only while holding still". In fact, since it gives a bonus to gymnastics, I'd argue that it definately applies to movement, since how would you perform gymnastics while not moving?

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Aug 19 2007, 08:35 PM
Post #13

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Yoga?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Aug 19 2007, 11:19 PM
Post #14

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Tarantula @ Aug 20 2007, 04:53 AM)
The spider glands are virtually worthless.  They stick as well as packaging tape (so no swinging webstyle with 'em), and if he wanted to use them to rappel down, he'd have to tie them down to something first.  Not worth it at all.

Besides, rappeling down is 20meters/turn, and he can just climb down at about 14meters/turn.  Pretty good I think.

True, but he could use them to swing from handhold to handhold, or even building to building, and therefore find some utility.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Aug 20 2007, 05:18 AM
Post #15

Dragon

Give him some microwire. Or even better yet, an implanted grapple gun. Hes got the 0.5 essence for it, and the nuyen... costs a whole 1 more BP to do that, and it can secure itself instead of needing time to be tied.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Aug 26 2007, 08:29 AM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 948

Here's a little interesting tidbit.

Unless mentioned implants like Cyberfeet and Climbing Claws are per LIMB. Which mean that you can add an additional Grip Feet and three more climbing claws for a +8D6 more.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 26 2007, 09:00 AM
Post #17

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Tarantula)
Give him some microwire. Or even better yet, an implanted grapple gun. Hes got the 0.5 essence for it, and the nuyen... costs a whole 1 more BP to do that, and it can secure itself instead of needing time to be tied.

if he had a cyberlimb he could get a grapple hand.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Aug 26 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #18

Dragon

No. A cyberfoot is listed as such, a cyberFOOT. Grip Feet are listed as such, grip FEET. Unless you have another pair of FEET then you can't get another set of grip feet.

Good catch on the climbing claws though (since they're described as similar to hand razors) so thats another 0.2 essence gone for another +2 dice.

Cyberlimbs aren't compatible with the Gecko Hands/Feet, which are much more useful than an implanted grapple hand would be, he'll just take the grapple gun instead.

Edited in the new enhancements.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Aug 27 2007, 11:23 AM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 948

QUOTE (Tarantula)

Good catch on the climbing claws though (since they're described as similar to hand razors) so thats another 0.2 essence gone for another +2 dice.

Well, I would still say a +6 as you can add climbing claws on your feet as well ^_^

Optimized cyberlegs with (Body+Tech Verticalist) +2D6
Climbing ClawsX2 +4
Grip Feet +2D6
Hydralic Jacks

Modular Cyberarms with Grapple Hands (Smartlinked)
Climbing Claws on Hands +4D6

Add Shock Gloves on hands

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Aug 27 2007, 02:28 PM
Post #20

Dragon

So you're saying for +2 dice from optimized legs, i should lose the +3 from gecko feet? And for grapple hands (when I already have a grapple gun) I should lose the always assisted climbing w/broken ground for all terrain from gecko hands?

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Aug 27 2007, 09:42 PM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

I want to know the rationalization for some of the stacking. The gecko hands are stacking with retractable climbing claws how? Seems to me either one or the other would be used. Not both at once. And the magnetic system would only work on exposed metals, yes? And even then the magnets would easily override the gecko hands.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Aug 28 2007, 02:06 AM
Post #22

Dragon

Assuming you're climbing a building, you can use the magnetics because buildings are still build using ferrous materials. Gecko hands merely make all surfaces considered assisted and broken ground. Retractable climbing claws actually help you climb. Would you let a climbing harness stack with the claws? It just makes it assisted climbing instead of unassisted, the same as the gecko hands do.

Just because your hands stick to it, doesn't mean having sharp hooks to dig in won't help.

If you want the real rationalization, as I said, RAW highly supports a stupidly good level of climbing. Why do they stack? Because RAW permits them to.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 21 2008, 12:43 PM
Post #23

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

anyone fluent in SR4 rules take a look at this again?
anything in arsenal/RC that would make this even better?

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Dec 21 2008, 05:05 PM
Post #24

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Impressive! That answers my question in the other thread better than I would have hoped for.

Total dice on a climbing test:
13 strength + 7 climbing + 2 (specalization; gecko hands is always considered assisted) + 1 (balance aug) + 2 (balance tail) + 2 (grip feet) + 4 (magnetic limbs (all of them) + 2 (ret. climbing claws) + 1 (smart articulation) + 3 (synthacardium) + 1 (reflex recorder) + 3 (gecko feet; balance) + 1 (Neo-EPO) = 42 dice for climbing. Assuming 1/3 hit, he'll average about 14 meters a combat turn. Or 280 meters a minute.

The magnetic limb bonus is conditional, but you could make do with the remaining 38 dice. I think the most impressive fact here is that a wallrunner could keep up, given tiny bits of standing ground inbetween.

Edit: Years old, but on Jul 17th 2011 I add the missing quote tags...

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 21 2008, 05:43 PM
Post #25

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

technically, as buildings are mostly built with ferrus metals, you allways get the magnetic stuff to help you, when climbing up most buildings . .
and if you take exceptional and aptitude away you lose a whole of 2 dice for how many building points? 40 to 50? or something like that.
meaning you can broaden his horizon a little . . and there's probably stuff in arsenal/rc that would help this built even more . .
and with todays/shadowruns building style, the only way the wallrunner could keep up would be using . the . . ultimate . . . mundane climber . . . . as standing ground O.o

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.