Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Concealment Critter Power, Rules Question
Zhan Shi
post Aug 31 2007, 11:08 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,615

In addition to normal perception tests, and defending against the Search power, does Concealment protect from...

1. Assensing?

2. Astral Tracking (ritual or otherwise)?

3. Detection Spells?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zhan Shi
post Sep 5 2007, 04:31 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Just trying to keep this thread alive for a bit longer. I've tried emailing Rob, but no response as yet. Any feedback as to official rules I may have overlooked, or house rules you may use on this issue, would be welcome. Thanks.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Sep 5 2007, 06:33 PM
Post #3

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
In addition to normal perception tests, and defending against the Search power, does Concealment protect from...

1. Assensing?

2. Astral Tracking (ritual or otherwise)?

3. Detection Spells?

p. 287 SR4

"Concealment subtracts a number of dice equal
to the critter’s Magic from any Perception Tests to locate the
concealed subject."

1. Assensing = Int + Assensing

2. Astral tracking = Assensing + Intuition

3. Detection Spells
- Active = Magic + Spellcasting
- Passive = Int + Perception

So according to the simplest intepretation based on the dice pool only Passive Detection spells are at penalties from the use of the Concealment power.

+Quote Post
Hartbaine
post Sep 5 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,115

Concealment and Invisibility are both active magical effects. Thus they have Astral Signatures. Concealment's whole purpose is to remain undetected and out of sight, one can assume this means in astral space as well (or else I'd just astrally percieve and start shooting at the bugger).

Simply put, Concealment also acts against any attempts to astrally detect it as well. If not, Dual Critters couldn't hide from each other very well now could they?

'Perception' is also more than just the skill 'Perception', any time you are looking for something 'abnormal or strange' then you are making a perception test. Just because the dice pool for the astral plane (or matrix, or wherever) isn't the same as the meat world doesn't mean it's not a perception test.

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Sep 5 2007, 07:19 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

My personal take is that Concealment is obvious on the astral and thus pointless on the astral. I really don't want to open up the "mana illusion spells in astral" can of worms, but concealment cannot hide an aura.

+Quote Post
Zhan Shi
post Sep 5 2007, 08:23 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Too true. No magic currently known may hide an aura, although they can be disguised (masking). I'm thinking of treating Concealment as a ward equal to its power rating for astral tracking, and using the rating as a threshold for detection spells.

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Sep 5 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 6,651

To hide in the Astral get a good Infiltrate skill and the Masking+Extended Masking Combo. :-)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.