Penta
post Sep 3 2007, 11:27 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 500

An obvious question:

Can kids get cyber/bio?

How does it adjust to growth? (Do you need to get new whatever after every growth spurt?)

And so on and so forth.

Augmentations and Children.

Discuss.:)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Sep 3 2007, 11:36 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,984

I would say it depends on the parts.

Bio for the most part should be okay, though you could possibly have complications with puberty.

Cyber though, well eyes work, but say, arms don't. I would say that maintenance would cover minor changes, so a datajack and some other pieces of headware should be okay, but most bodyware would be a bad plan.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Sep 3 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

Agreed, it depends on the parts. Some may not need to be changed/upgraded for a few years, while others may have to be within 2-4 check-ups.
Regular check-ups will keep an eye on things.

+Quote Post
Cadmus
post Sep 3 2007, 11:45 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,304

Well bioware I can see but cyber is not worth it since they wouldhave to replace it all teh time when the body grew

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 3 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Well, eyes would be fine, as they don't grow as the child ages. Stuff like datajacks and the like should also not need to be constantly replaced.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Sep 4 2007, 12:01 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

I don't know. I would say that, for alot of neuralware, it may be dangerous to implant in a child before a certain age, because of neuralplasticity. While the Brain is still growing and developing new structures, it may be too volatile to make effective DNI.

On the other hand, That very adaptability may mean that it takes to the new, wired connections much better than an adults brain. Certain... experimentswill need to be performed.

I'd say there are special concerns regarding cybernetics in children and add 1 to 2 to the threshold of any cybertech or medical tech checks involved in both maintainence and installation.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Sep 4 2007, 12:32 AM
Post #7

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Experiments have already been performed on children regarding both implanting them with datajacks and preserving their living brains in jars. Both are safe and highly successful.

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Sep 4 2007, 12:53 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
I don't know. I would say that, for alot of neuralware, it may be dangerous to implant in a child before a certain age, because of neuralplasticity. While the Brain is still growing and developing new structures, it may be too volatile to make effective DNI.

On the other hand, That very adaptability may mean that it takes to the new, wired connections much better than an adults brain. Certain... experimentswill need to be performed.

I'd say there are special concerns regarding cybernetics in children and add 1 to 2 to the threshold of any cybertech or medical tech checks involved in both maintainence and installation.

A fella named Deus and groups of individuals known as Otaku both performed experiments involving cyber and children.

Apparently they work reasonably well.

Banded children were rather scary if I recall.

+Quote Post
DTFarstar
post Sep 4 2007, 05:35 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 9,421

According to Tails You Lose implanting cheap used cyber in kids, y'know and replacing malfunctioning arms and hands and legs and the kids outgrowing them and not being able to afford an upgrade. Apparently there is a market in using used cyber for this in Barrens areas and such.

Chris

+Quote Post
Big D
post Sep 4 2007, 07:34 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,455

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Experiments have already been performed on children regarding both implanting them with datajacks and preserving their living brains in jars. Both are safe and highly successful.

Err, yeah.

Successful for the *corp*, maybe.

+Quote Post
Irian
post Sep 4 2007, 07:46 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,709

The Babies? The kids died 6 months after they became... jar-inhabitants. Or was he more successfull in 2068?

+Quote Post
Ranneko
post Sep 4 2007, 07:48 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Big D)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 3 2007, 07:32 PM)
Experiments have already been performed on children regarding both implanting them with datajacks and preserving their living brains in jars.  Both are safe and highly successful.

Err, yeah.

Successful for the *corp*, maybe.

How else does one measure success?

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 4 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #13

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Irian)
The Babies? The kids died 6 months after they became... jar-inhabitants. Or was he more successfull in 2068?

Indeed. MCT's WeatWare project resulted in the creation of Cyborgs that truely are 'Jarheads'.
Works best with kids and vat-grown brains...

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Sep 4 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #14

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...I would think that most head, eye and ear ware wouldn't be affected much if at all by a child's growth. Bodyware, (including reaction/speed enhancements) now that is a different story.

Bioware would not be affected as it essentially becomes part of the host body, particularly if it is cloned from the individual.

Genetech would most likely also not be affected.

Nanotech, that could depend. Free floating systems could be OK. Those with implant essence costs may or may not.

+Quote Post
Penta
post Sep 4 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

Hmm. Does anybody here have an opthalmologist (who's a doc who does eye surgery - not an optometrist or optician, we love em but they ain't got the kinda knowledge we need) they could talk to? Maybe someone who knows/is/works for one?

I could have sworn that the eye grows along with other organs.

Similar with other organs.

KK: Growth is what I'm thinking about. How would a heart, lungs, etc etc etc grow with the patient?

I know for a *fact* that the brain and skull grow during childhood and up through puberty - one of the big things *of* growth is that your skull is less soft cartilidge, more hard bone as you get older.

...Do we have a doctor on the forums?

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Sep 4 2007, 08:23 PM
Post #16

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...keep in mind I said most, not all headware. Retinal and tympanic augmentations would not be as reliant on size as much as full cyber replacement. Headware like comm systems (they never really delineated how large or small a commlink implant really is physically), co processor chips, etc could be implanted at an early age with no need to "resize" as the child grew in stature.

By the fact a character has to pay the essence cost for Attributes based on augmented values from Bioware, means that the system fully integrates with the character effectively becoming part of her. I don't see why physical growth would be an issue here particularly if, as I mentioned, the new ware was cloned from the subject it was to go into. It would then grow at the same rate since it still bore the subject's basic genetic code.

True, I am not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV). I'm just extrapolating from what I have gleaned from the rules.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 4 2007, 09:50 PM
Post #17

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Penta)
I could have sworn that the eye grows along with other organs.

As far as I know, although I am not a doctor, I have been informed by several that this is not the case. Eyes do not grow over time, but are fully grown when the child is born. I could be wrong, but I very much doubt it.

+Quote Post
Irian
post Sep 4 2007, 09:51 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,709

Afaik, eyes do grow, but much quicker. My latest info is, that with 4 years, the growth of the eye is 70% complete.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Sep 4 2007, 10:22 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

Using "human eye growth" as a search term on Google returned several sites that indicate that human babies are born with eyes that are about 60-70% of the size of full grown adults. Furthermore, those sites also indicated that the eye continues to grow at a somewhat regular rate until puberty. Afterwards, the growth rate is neglible.

I've also heard that eyes don't grow but honestly, comparing my one month old daughter's eyes to mine, mine are significantly larger. My iris alone is slightly smaller than her entire eye.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 4 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #20

Immoral Elf

Yeah, I checked as well after posting that, and it seems that the most consistent number I can find is about 75% at birth. Hmmmm ....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:32 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.