Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyber/Bio and kids
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Penta
An obvious question:

Can kids get cyber/bio?

How does it adjust to growth? (Do you need to get new whatever after every growth spurt?)

And so on and so forth.

Augmentations and Children.

Discuss.smile.gif
Ranneko
I would say it depends on the parts.

Bio for the most part should be okay, though you could possibly have complications with puberty.

Cyber though, well eyes work, but say, arms don't. I would say that maintenance would cover minor changes, so a datajack and some other pieces of headware should be okay, but most bodyware would be a bad plan.
BookWyrm
Agreed, it depends on the parts. Some may not need to be changed/upgraded for a few years, while others may have to be within 2-4 check-ups.
Regular check-ups will keep an eye on things.
Cadmus
Well bioware I can see but cyber is not worth it since they wouldhave to replace it all teh time when the body grew
Fortune
Well, eyes would be fine, as they don't grow as the child ages. Stuff like datajacks and the like should also not need to be constantly replaced.
PlatonicPimp
I don't know. I would say that, for alot of neuralware, it may be dangerous to implant in a child before a certain age, because of neuralplasticity. While the Brain is still growing and developing new structures, it may be too volatile to make effective DNI.

On the other hand, That very adaptability may mean that it takes to the new, wired connections much better than an adults brain. Certain... experimentswill need to be performed.

I'd say there are special concerns regarding cybernetics in children and add 1 to 2 to the threshold of any cybertech or medical tech checks involved in both maintainence and installation.
hyzmarca
Experiments have already been performed on children regarding both implanting them with datajacks and preserving their living brains in jars. Both are safe and highly successful.
Ranneko
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
I don't know. I would say that, for alot of neuralware, it may be dangerous to implant in a child before a certain age, because of neuralplasticity. While the Brain is still growing and developing new structures, it may be too volatile to make effective DNI.

On the other hand, That very adaptability may mean that it takes to the new, wired connections much better than an adults brain. Certain... experimentswill need to be performed.

I'd say there are special concerns regarding cybernetics in children and add 1 to 2 to the threshold of any cybertech or medical tech checks involved in both maintainence and installation.

A fella named Deus and groups of individuals known as Otaku both performed experiments involving cyber and children.

Apparently they work reasonably well.

Banded children were rather scary if I recall.
DTFarstar
According to Tails You Lose implanting cheap used cyber in kids, y'know and replacing malfunctioning arms and hands and legs and the kids outgrowing them and not being able to afford an upgrade. Apparently there is a market in using used cyber for this in Barrens areas and such.

Chris
Big D
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Experiments have already been performed on children regarding both implanting them with datajacks and preserving their living brains in jars. Both are safe and highly successful.

Err, yeah.

Successful for the *corp*, maybe.
Irian
The Babies? The kids died 6 months after they became... jar-inhabitants. Or was he more successfull in 2068?
Ranneko
QUOTE (Big D)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 3 2007, 07:32 PM)
Experiments have already been performed on children regarding both implanting them with datajacks and preserving their living brains in jars.  Both are safe and highly successful.

Err, yeah.

Successful for the *corp*, maybe.

How else does one measure success?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Irian)
The Babies? The kids died 6 months after they became... jar-inhabitants. Or was he more successfull in 2068?

Indeed. MCT's WeatWare project resulted in the creation of Cyborgs that truely are 'Jarheads'.
Works best with kids and vat-grown brains...
Kyoto Kid
...I would think that most head, eye and ear ware wouldn't be affected much if at all by a child's growth. Bodyware, (including reaction/speed enhancements) now that is a different story.

Bioware would not be affected as it essentially becomes part of the host body, particularly if it is cloned from the individual.

Genetech would most likely also not be affected.

Nanotech, that could depend. Free floating systems could be OK. Those with implant essence costs may or may not.
Penta
Hmm. Does anybody here have an opthalmologist (who's a doc who does eye surgery - not an optometrist or optician, we love em but they ain't got the kinda knowledge we need) they could talk to? Maybe someone who knows/is/works for one?

I could have sworn that the eye grows along with other organs.

Similar with other organs.

KK: Growth is what I'm thinking about. How would a heart, lungs, etc etc etc grow with the patient?

I know for a *fact* that the brain and skull grow during childhood and up through puberty - one of the big things *of* growth is that your skull is less soft cartilidge, more hard bone as you get older.

...Do we have a doctor on the forums?
Kyoto Kid
...keep in mind I said most, not all headware. Retinal and tympanic augmentations would not be as reliant on size as much as full cyber replacement. Headware like comm systems (they never really delineated how large or small a commlink implant really is physically), co processor chips, etc could be implanted at an early age with no need to "resize" as the child grew in stature.

By the fact a character has to pay the essence cost for Attributes based on augmented values from Bioware, means that the system fully integrates with the character effectively becoming part of her. I don't see why physical growth would be an issue here particularly if, as I mentioned, the new ware was cloned from the subject it was to go into. It would then grow at the same rate since it still bore the subject's basic genetic code.

True, I am not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV). I'm just extrapolating from what I have gleaned from the rules.
Fortune
QUOTE (Penta)
I could have sworn that the eye grows along with other organs.

As far as I know, although I am not a doctor, I have been informed by several that this is not the case. Eyes do not grow over time, but are fully grown when the child is born. I could be wrong, but I very much doubt it.
Irian
Afaik, eyes do grow, but much quicker. My latest info is, that with 4 years, the growth of the eye is 70% complete.
darthmord
Using "human eye growth" as a search term on Google returned several sites that indicate that human babies are born with eyes that are about 60-70% of the size of full grown adults. Furthermore, those sites also indicated that the eye continues to grow at a somewhat regular rate until puberty. Afterwards, the growth rate is neglible.

I've also heard that eyes don't grow but honestly, comparing my one month old daughter's eyes to mine, mine are significantly larger. My iris alone is slightly smaller than her entire eye.
Fortune
Yeah, I checked as well after posting that, and it seems that the most consistent number I can find is about 75% at birth. Hmmmm ....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012