IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> In space, no one can hear you scream., Except everyone else on the ship.
Large Mike
post Nov 19 2003, 11:05 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,062

Hmm... does anyone know how the scourge or the horrors would do in space? If there were enough metahumans, would they be able to come over despite it not being on earth?

/me wishes Ancient History were still around.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Grey
post Nov 19 2003, 11:08 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 100

I think I have an answer for this, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say anything. If find out and if I can, I'll post more info.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 19 2003, 11:10 PM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Me too.

Horrors are very magic-dependent, so I would imagine the general level of even a fairly populated station probably would be insufficient for them to exist there. Perhaps part of why Dunkie wants grain grown in low-earth orbit.

And as a side note, a reference back to a long-deceased thread: "OMFG Deus is teh l337!"

~J

Edit: me too about missing AH. I lack NDA-worthy knowledge.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 20 2003, 01:19 AM
Post #4

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

IMO

There is no lack of Mana in space. Mana permeates the material plane at this time, including outer space.

The horrors are not affected by Mana Warps. In fact, they create them.
Space would only hamper the Horrors in that they have nothing to feed upon between human settlements. Thus only the strong would survive a journey through empty space. However, once one makes it it can probably make a rift or conjure some back-up (should it be powerful enough).

/IMO

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 20 2003, 01:24 AM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

The problem with the mana-is-in-space theory is that it then forces manacycles to be universal, which I personally don't like the implications of.

~J

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 20 2003, 01:28 AM
Post #6

Beetle Eater

The problem with the mana-is-in-space theory is that it then forces manacycles to be universal, which I personally don't like the implications of.

Cool, but canon says magic exists in space. Anyone with a high enough Magic can use it, so it must be there.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Nov 20 2003, 01:32 AM
Post #7

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

Yeah, and it also says if you try to do anything magically related while in space, you either die (If you're lucky) or you go insane. Somebody powerful enough just might be an IE, but, then again, possibly not.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 20 2003, 01:34 AM
Post #8

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Space is a -10 Mana Warp. Anyone that can deal with that, through whatever means, can safely use Magic in space.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 20 2003, 01:35 AM
Post #9

Beetle Eater

tanka 
Yeah, and it also says if you try to do anything magically related while in space, you either die (If you're lucky) or you go insane.

So basically it does to one the same as those who used raw magic (the equivalent of SR sorcery) in Earthdawn after the horrors warped all of astral space?

[edit]
I was just thinking about how ravenous the horrors would be when they reached a colony when I realized they would have just hitched a ride anyway. I'm thinking Event Horizon here. I can just picture the kind of restraint a horror would need not to "devour" the crew right off. The crew would have almost no way to fight it (no magic, no astral sight).

This post has been edited by Kanada Ten: Nov 20 2003, 02:19 AM

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Nov 20 2003, 02:34 AM
Post #10

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

Event Horizon or Solaris would be good, good examples of horror influence in space. Though really, I stand by my assessment that Event Horizon was half ripped from Solaris and half from Warhammer 40k. Hello, Chaos Warp Ship!

Not neccessarily. What if the mana cycles were solar in nature? I.E. the flux came and went per system, but not on anything larger than that? I mean, really, speaking galactically, our system is pretty much the backyard to our house. Granted, it's a huge-ass backyard, but it's nothing compared to interstellar distances. And if you look at Astral Space as an ecology (which I figure it pays to do) then it is conceivable that astral life could exist interplanetarily, but vastly less likely on an interstellar basis.

Why?

Well, looking at the physics of the thing, there's a hell of a lot of clutter in the solar system. Interstellar space, by contrast, is vast enough that you can travel for years without hitting so much as a single mote of dust.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 20 2003, 02:39 AM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

You have a point.

~J

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:25 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.