Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In space, no one can hear you scream.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Large Mike

Hmm... does anyone know how the scourge or the horrors would do in space? If there were enough metahumans, would they be able to come over despite it not being on earth?

/me wishes Ancient History were still around.
Grey
I think I have an answer for this, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say anything. If find out and if I can, I'll post more info.
Kagetenshi
Me too.

Horrors are very magic-dependent, so I would imagine the general level of even a fairly populated station probably would be insufficient for them to exist there. Perhaps part of why Dunkie wants grain grown in low-earth orbit.

And as a side note, a reference back to a long-deceased thread: "OMFG Deus is teh l337!"

~J

Edit: me too about missing AH. I lack NDA-worthy knowledge.
Kanada Ten
IMO

There is no lack of Mana in space. Mana permeates the material plane at this time, including outer space.

The horrors are not affected by Mana Warps. In fact, they create them.
Space would only hamper the Horrors in that they have nothing to feed upon between human settlements. Thus only the strong would survive a journey through empty space. However, once one makes it it can probably make a rift or conjure some back-up (should it be powerful enough).

/IMO
Kagetenshi
The problem with the mana-is-in-space theory is that it then forces manacycles to be universal, which I personally don't like the implications of.

~J
Kanada Ten
The problem with the mana-is-in-space theory is that it then forces manacycles to be universal, which I personally don't like the implications of.

Cool, but canon says magic exists in space. Anyone with a high enough Magic can use it, so it must be there.
Tanka
Yeah, and it also says if you try to do anything magically related while in space, you either die (If you're lucky) or you go insane. Somebody powerful enough just might be an IE, but, then again, possibly not.
Fortune
Space is a -10 Mana Warp. Anyone that can deal with that, through whatever means, can safely use Magic in space.
Kanada Ten
tanka 
Yeah, and it also says if you try to do anything magically related while in space, you either die (If you're lucky) or you go insane.

So basically it does to one the same as those who used raw magic (the equivalent of SR sorcery) in Earthdawn after the horrors warped all of astral space?

[edit]
I was just thinking about how ravenous the horrors would be when they reached a colony when I realized they would have just hitched a ride anyway. I'm thinking Event Horizon here. I can just picture the kind of restraint a horror would need not to "devour" the crew right off. The crew would have almost no way to fight it (no magic, no astral sight).
Adarael
Event Horizon or Solaris would be good, good examples of horror influence in space. Though really, I stand by my assessment that Event Horizon was half ripped from Solaris and half from Warhammer 40k. Hello, Chaos Warp Ship!

Not neccessarily. What if the mana cycles were solar in nature? I.E. the flux came and went per system, but not on anything larger than that? I mean, really, speaking galactically, our system is pretty much the backyard to our house. Granted, it's a huge-ass backyard, but it's nothing compared to interstellar distances. And if you look at Astral Space as an ecology (which I figure it pays to do) then it is conceivable that astral life could exist interplanetarily, but vastly less likely on an interstellar basis.

Why?

Well, looking at the physics of the thing, there's a hell of a lot of clutter in the solar system. Interstellar space, by contrast, is vast enough that you can travel for years without hitting so much as a single mote of dust.
Kagetenshi
You have a point.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012