IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shareing BTL's, With a little help from your friends...
Prime Mover
post Sep 25 2007, 04:12 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

Ok so here goes can one person share a signal from there commlink?

Example: BTL user's, one slots the chip, can he then share signal wirelessly. Sending signal to other "hot" modified comms nearby?

If so what about skillchips?
If you have teams comms subscribed can you copy your programs ie defensive prog's to there comms like you would your agent?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Sep 25 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #2

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

No books at the moment, so no references, but I feel that BTLs probably can't be shared easily because it would hurt the value of them. Granted, the people using BTLs might not have the tech-savviness to effectively share them, but I can see dealers wanting to clamp down on BTL sharing. Analagous, perhaps, to the recording/movie industry groups wanting to stop music/movie sharing. Interesting plot ideas comence...

+Quote Post
Buster
post Sep 25 2007, 06:32 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,869

QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Sep 25 2007, 11:12 AM)
Ok so here goes can one person share a signal from there commlink? 

Example: BTL user's, one slots the chip, can he then share signal wirelessly.  Sending signal to other "hot" modified comms nearby?

If so what about skillchips?
  If you have teams comms subscribed can you copy your programs ie defensive prog's to there comms like you would your agent?

Yes on all counts. I forget the page number but search the book for copy protection and piracy. Sharing a signal is called subscribing to the commlink. I'm sure you'd have to hack the copy protection on the BTL before you could share the experience via commlink subscription.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 25 2007, 10:18 PM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I tend to agree with Buster. As long as you can hack the encryption and copy protection (and maybe a little something else with BTLs like a +1 Threshold, as they are a special case), then there should be no real problem.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Sep 27 2007, 08:01 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 948

QUOTE (Buster)
I'm sure you'd have to hack the copy protection on the BTL before you could share the experience via commlink subscription.

Actually he would not need to. The copy protection is for use on ONE commlink but there is no limit on OTHER devices, in this case an external sim-module with a higher than average response and system.

User 1 (Commlink 1) sends the feed of the BTL to his hot-sim modified Sim-Module.
user 2 Subscribes his commlink to receive feed from User 1's Sim module
Rince and repeat up to Response X2

This way one BTL user can share the experience with more than one user and I have a hard time seeing how the BTL itself can find out that it's signal is being shared at second tier (first tier commlink, second tier sim module).

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Sep 27 2007, 08:05 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 948

QUOTE (Buster @ Sep 25 2007, 06:32 PM)
I'm sure you'd have to hack the copy protection on the BTL before you could share the experience via commlink subscription.

Actually he would not need to. The copy protection is for use on ONE commlink but there is no limit on OTHER devices, in this case an external sim-module with a higher than average response and system.

User 1 (Commlink 1) sends the feed of the BTL to his hot-sim modified Sim-Module.
user 2 Subscribes his commlink to receive feed from User 1's Sim module
Rince and repeat up to Response X2

This way one BTL user can share the experience with more than one user and I have a hard time seeing how the BTL itself can find out that it's signal is being shared at second tier (first tier commlink, second tier sim module).

For even more fun you can have X people use one BTL each and subscribe to each others Sim modules and have a BTL smash fest as several BTL emissions crash into their brains at once.

Not sure about the health aspect on that one though...

EDIT: Damn double post

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.