Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shareing BTL's
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Prime Mover
Ok so here goes can one person share a signal from there commlink?

Example: BTL user's, one slots the chip, can he then share signal wirelessly. Sending signal to other "hot" modified comms nearby?

If so what about skillchips?
If you have teams comms subscribed can you copy your programs ie defensive prog's to there comms like you would your agent?
Dashifen
No books at the moment, so no references, but I feel that BTLs probably can't be shared easily because it would hurt the value of them. Granted, the people using BTLs might not have the tech-savviness to effectively share them, but I can see dealers wanting to clamp down on BTL sharing. Analagous, perhaps, to the recording/movie industry groups wanting to stop music/movie sharing. Interesting plot ideas comence...
Buster
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Sep 25 2007, 11:12 AM)
Ok so here goes can one person share a signal from there commlink? 

Example: BTL user's, one slots the chip, can he then share signal wirelessly.  Sending signal to other "hot" modified comms nearby?

If so what about skillchips?
  If you have teams comms subscribed can you copy your programs ie defensive prog's to there comms like you would your agent?

Yes on all counts. I forget the page number but search the book for copy protection and piracy. Sharing a signal is called subscribing to the commlink. I'm sure you'd have to hack the copy protection on the BTL before you could share the experience via commlink subscription.
Fortune
I tend to agree with Buster. As long as you can hack the encryption and copy protection (and maybe a little something else with BTLs like a +1 Threshold, as they are a special case), then there should be no real problem.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Buster)
I'm sure you'd have to hack the copy protection on the BTL before you could share the experience via commlink subscription.

Actually he would not need to. The copy protection is for use on ONE commlink but there is no limit on OTHER devices, in this case an external sim-module with a higher than average response and system.

User 1 (Commlink 1) sends the feed of the BTL to his hot-sim modified Sim-Module.
user 2 Subscribes his commlink to receive feed from User 1's Sim module
Rince and repeat up to Response X2

This way one BTL user can share the experience with more than one user and I have a hard time seeing how the BTL itself can find out that it's signal is being shared at second tier (first tier commlink, second tier sim module).
The Jopp
QUOTE (Buster @ Sep 25 2007, 06:32 PM)
I'm sure you'd have to hack the copy protection on the BTL before you could share the experience via commlink subscription.

Actually he would not need to. The copy protection is for use on ONE commlink but there is no limit on OTHER devices, in this case an external sim-module with a higher than average response and system.

User 1 (Commlink 1) sends the feed of the BTL to his hot-sim modified Sim-Module.
user 2 Subscribes his commlink to receive feed from User 1's Sim module
Rince and repeat up to Response X2

This way one BTL user can share the experience with more than one user and I have a hard time seeing how the BTL itself can find out that it's signal is being shared at second tier (first tier commlink, second tier sim module).

For even more fun you can have X people use one BTL each and subscribe to each others Sim modules and have a BTL smash fest as several BTL emissions crash into their brains at once.

Not sure about the health aspect on that one though...

EDIT: Damn double post
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012