> Pondering a game, Yes, me as a GM
Penta
post Oct 3 2007, 01:14 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 500

Okay...

Because the game I'm in with BishopMcQ seems dead (though I'm utterly happy to play...If others are too), I'm pondering...

Running a game. Laugh, cry, or whatever as you will.

I will admit: My grasp of rules is not the best. This would be my first time GMing an actual game with dice.

I'll GM in SR4 only - I just can't find my SR3 books. Low-to-Medium Power is my forte.

My possible "broad themes":

Privateering - A mix of mercs and cyberpirates, set in SR4. Could go either way, but initially set to enable characters from either side of the light spectrum to join in.

SR4 classic - Ye Olde SR. Wobbling between semi-legit and illegal.

Mercenary Small Unit Ops - Maximum of Company-sized (90 people) operations in a mercenary environment.

Not really a fan of detective or high-magic campaigns; just not my thing.

I prefer to play the rules by ear - My focus is on story and character, not the dice-rolling. I am grumpy about writing as a GM, preferring to be able to immerse myself.

Schedule thoughts:

What day of the week I do bumps? Well, I'm looking for work, so it's really "Am I inspired?"

If the players post a lot, I will endeavor to meet your pace. Because I have attention deficit disorder, please...Try to post once a week, if ONLY to let me know you can't post but are still interested in playing.

In the real world, I have a breadth of interests described by those who know me as "so wide it's actually kind of scary"; I may not be an expert in anything, but I know enough to be dangerous about a lot. I can deal with some pretty odd things - but I need to see clearly how you got from the start point to your desired endpoint, the less handwaving the better.

So...anybody interested?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Oct 3 2007, 01:57 PM
Post #2

Man Behind the Curtain

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I find the #1 killer of pbp games is RL sucks away a player or two for a week. Everyone else is ready and raring to go, but loose interest awaiting the 1 or 2 people currently indisposed.

While it obviously requires some commitment from all parties involved to keep a game going, an engaged GM is definitely the first ingredient required to keep a game moving forward. A forced bump every week, even if just to allow the active players to continue in the current scene would be greatly appreciated. Example: The last few interactions in Heresy and Hearsay have been mostly just Bishop and me. ;)

I would be open to a game based on that premise.
Reading your introduction, I take it you are leaning towards a combat heavy game?

+Quote Post
Penta
post Oct 3 2007, 02:23 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Not Necessarily.

I favor RP over dice-rolling. If the playors look at the situation rationally and decide to go in with guns blazing, I can do that - but equally, I can do sneaky or whatever else the players come up with.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Oct 3 2007, 02:25 PM
Post #4

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Member No.: 7,667

Setting or theme you'd really like to do?

+Quote Post
Penta
post Oct 3 2007, 04:10 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Can't really think of any.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Oct 3 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #6

Man Behind the Curtain

With multiple references to mercs and an aversion to detective or high-magic, sounds like its time to pull out Augmentation. ;)

Is that a suggestion for a team without any magic support? Could a team without any magic be successful in your game or did you mean something different?

I'm thinking about the team hacker/rigger....

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Oct 3 2007, 06:08 PM
Post #7

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

I'd definately like to get in with this. Either the mercs or privateering could be a lot of fun. Smugglers yacht maybe? Anyway, I'd love to be in on this, whatever theme it is.

+Quote Post
Penta
post Oct 3 2007, 08:38 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

I'm saying I have an aversion to high-magic campaigns...Adding in detective stuff was unclear, and I'm striking that reference here. (I'm not sure what I meant, anyway.)

Did know what I mean re high-magic: Don't expect to be messing with Horrors, Ancient Magical Conspiracies, or so forth.

Magic support would be recommended, still, though. Thaumaturgy, after all, just adds a new dimension to things.

So far as book support goes:

In the SR4 category: I have SR4, Street Magic (though I'll confess to having skimmed it only so far), Runner Havens, Augmentation, and Emergence.

We'll be starting things on 1 January 2071 in whichever campaign setting is decided upon. (I'm going to leave it up to the players, really.) Thus, all of the above books are fair play.

So...from here:

If you want in, speak up. I'll take no more than 8 people, though if there's more, that may shift my thoughts in re campaign setting, leaning me towards something which allows for a higher number of players.

Preference-order the campaign concepts I presented, please; commentary welcome! If there's no apparent group decision, I'll pick one semi-randomly, then (in either case) pick a starting location.

Is there anything I'm missing...?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 3 2007, 10:38 PM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Chargen guidelines?

+Quote Post
Penta
post Oct 3 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Oh, yeah.

Okay....I'm actually going to hold off on specifics til the theme and setting is decided on, but:

I'm aiming for a -range- of around 400-420 BPs.

+Quote Post
Trigger
post Oct 4 2007, 01:41 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 10,215

New game? Hmm.....

+Quote Post
Narse
post Oct 4 2007, 02:55 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,762

I have to agree w/ tarantula mercs and privateering sound interesting, but especially privateering. (taking peoples shit that you have no right to.... mmm.... :D ). let me know what you decide. O Btw, I don't have access to anything but SR4 and Street Magic, will that be a problem?

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Oct 4 2007, 03:53 AM
Post #13

Man Behind the Curtain

I can do privateering/mercs. You want character concepts here or PM? Have a deadline on submissions?

+Quote Post
Penta
post Oct 4 2007, 01:52 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

PM, Deadline will be....Eeehhhhhh, let's say Oct 11.

+Quote Post
Penta
post Oct 4 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

That said: Post HERE your theme/setting choice and your interest, THEN send me a PM.

Or would people prefer I pick the setting and go from there? (In which case, still post your interest here, then send me a PM)

DireRadiant, I have your submission and have sent back comments, but you're jumping the gun.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Oct 4 2007, 03:00 PM
Post #16

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Have no preference, will make a character to fit if I'm interested in the choice of theme or setting.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Oct 4 2007, 05:54 PM
Post #17

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

I'm interested. 3 of the games I was playing in just got put on hiatus, so I can devote myself to a new one.

Privateering or classic SR4 sound good to me. Concepts tumbling around are either a long-range fire support and medic or stealth adept.

What post rate are you hoping for the players to commit to? 2-3 times per week is doable for me now that I'm only involved in 4 games instead of 8.

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Oct 4 2007, 06:10 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

Privateering sounds interesting. Concepts percolating around armorer, water adapted merc.

WMS

+Quote Post
Penta
post Oct 4 2007, 06:15 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Bishop: I'd be happy with once a week. 2-3 times a week would leave me ecstatic.

+Quote Post
Penta
post Oct 4 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

To answer questions:

1. Right now, I'd like everybody to focus on the setting they want and what sort of character they'd like to play in whichever setting is picked (I'm happy with "If X setting then Y, but if Z setting then C" or whatever, just so I have something to go off of).

2. I'd like a consensus on setting type (classic, privateering, merc) to be reached by tomorrow at 5 PM Eastern (GMT -5, I think?)...Then I'll post what I'm looking for in characters for that setting.

3. After I post, you'll have til...Eh, Tuesday night to post basic ideas...Feel free to pitch things out for reactions and stuff.

4. Character sheets: I'll have you PM them to me once we've settled on basic concepts and stuff.

Basic thoughts, on that note, of a miscellaneous nature:

A. No ghouls, vampires, SURGE things, or metavariants. The standard metatypes work just fine, thanks.
B. I'm aiming to keep the level of team interconnection small at start: I want the bonding to occur in-game, not before the game.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Oct 5 2007, 12:37 AM
Post #21

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

Listed by preference:

If a Privateer campaign, I'd vie for the team medic with a shotgun role. Light combat support, but focusing more on the patching people up side of things. (Maybe awakened, if so probably aspected)

If a classic Shadowrun, I'd vie for the Covert Ops Stealth Adept role.

If Mercenary Small Unit Ops, I'd vie for heavy weapons and support.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Oct 5 2007, 01:35 AM
Post #22

Man Behind the Curtain

Preferences
Game type: Merc, Privateer or Classic
Character Type: Rigger/Hacker or Shaman (Former Sioux Wildcat)

+Quote Post
Narse
post Oct 5 2007, 05:45 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,762

As stated earlier I would prefer the privateering setting.
Thinking about trying a Tech-Wiz type character.
If merc setting, I'm not sure what I want to play, might go for magical support tho...

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Oct 5 2007, 01:59 PM
Post #24

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Privateering or Classic
Rigger/Smuggler or Face

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Oct 5 2007, 04:57 PM
Post #25

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

I'd prefer privateering, and for privateering a rigger. Wheelman who can drive anything with some heavy backup just in case.

If we go classic, I'd probably go with a wired up hacker/sammy.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 10:23 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.