Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gaseous Emissions: Vampires & Knockout Gas
Simon May
post Oct 22 2007, 05:16 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,604

This last week, in order to throw things out of whack, I had my team of runner face a group of vampires in an old abandoned mine in Tibet. Standing at the mouth of the cave, knowing that there were enemies inside, the group decided to toss a neurostun gas grenade at the oncoming "mist." Since I really didn't know what would happen, I allowed the gas to force the vampires back to physical form and do the requisite stun damage, creating a wonderful scene of vampires popping back into existence and dropping to the floor unconscious.

The book states that while in mist form, creatures are immune to normal weapons (p. 289), definitively stating that bullets and sword can't hurt them. Was I absolutely in the wrong to allow gasses to mix with their mist form? Would gasses absorbed into the water actually affect them?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bofh
post Oct 22 2007, 05:43 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,065

I might go with with the same results as a strong wind in that it would disorient the being. Something like the intermingling of the two mists would cause a reduction of connectivity between the individual mist particles, much like static for radio waves. That's what would cause the disorientation.

I would maintain that the beings mist wouldn't allow the absorption of the foreign mist into the being's mist. So incorporating would have the mist stay in areas that would have air in them already such as lungs, nasal passages, etc.

If concentrated (such as in a mine), I'd probably have the beings stunned while a mist, perhaps roll to see if being stunned causes them to be disoriented enough to lose the sustained nature of the spell and then be forced to be corporal again.

And they'd possibly be stunned again due to being corporal and in the presence of the narco mist (two different kinds of stun).

So yea, what you did sounds pretty good and above is how I'd explain it :)

Carl

+Quote Post
bjorn
post Oct 22 2007, 06:32 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 12,344

QUOTE (Simon May)
...Standing at the mouth of the cave, knowing that there were enemies inside, the group decided to toss a neurostun gas grenade at the oncoming "mist"...

Did they use that reasoning? Unless they knew that there were vampires and/or creatures could turn into a mist, I would say that is some kind of meta-gaming.

But if they did have a good reason, I would have done exactly what you did. The Stun gas would make them revert to human form and they would start taking damage.

+Quote Post
Simon May
post Oct 22 2007, 06:35 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

There was actually another Dual Natured beast in there. They put up a mana-barrier, which blocks dual natured creatures, and then dropped the grenade in not knowing the mist was vampires. They were all very surprised when vampires started appearing out of thin air.

+Quote Post
Big D
post Oct 22 2007, 07:51 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,455

That's very inventive. I like it.

+Quote Post
bjorn
post Oct 22 2007, 09:24 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 12,344

Wow... I like that too. Wish my group was that smart. :(

+Quote Post
Red
post Oct 22 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,908

Vampires are immune to age, pathogens, and toxins. The gas should have no effect on them whether they are in mist form, or not. At least that is how I see it.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Oct 22 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #8

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

I'd say the gas could disrupt the mistform, but as they're immune to toxins, it wouldn't knock them out.

+Quote Post
Simon May
post Oct 23 2007, 03:46 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Good to know for next time. Thanks.

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Oct 23 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

Red beat me to it, but yeah. Best you could do is completely deprive them of oxygen and put them into torpor (oh wait, that's the V:TM term, "Induced Dormancy" I guess). But even that takes several minutes, so its probably not the best tactic to try in combat.

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Oct 24 2007, 02:18 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 9,300

SR vampires need oxygen? Weird.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Oct 24 2007, 03:40 PM
Post #12

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)

Why wouldn't they? They're not dead, just infected with a magical virus.

+Quote Post
blood_kite
post Oct 24 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 10,677

QUOTE (Aaron)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Oct 24 2007, 09:18 AM)

Why wouldn't they? They're not dead, just infected with a magical virus.

I could have sworn that one side effect of HMHVV was that it stopped normal metabolic functions. Essentially, you were DEAD and the virus was the sole thing keeping you functioning and preventing your soul from departing for better pastures. The induced dormancy came from the fact that the virus needed oxygen to function, but not to survive. Thus you could be tossed in the river with concrete shoes, but you'd survive unconscious at the bottom until someone dragged you up.

The ghoul strain of HMHVV was different and didn't kill you off. But I don't recall where I read that and I don't have my books available right now.

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Oct 24 2007, 09:26 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 9,300

OK

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Oct 25 2007, 02:43 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Well, I think that vampires aren't dead because they're running around and paying taxes. SR has always steered clear of the "undead" classification for vamps and the like; undead didn't make it into the system until the Corps Cadaver and the shedim (at least, I think it was shedim. I never really paid much attention to the shedim).

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Oct 25 2007, 02:53 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (Tarantula)
I'd say the gas could disrupt the mistform, but as they're immune to toxins, it wouldn't knock them out.

I agree that since vampires are immune to toxins nerve gas or whatever shouldn't do jack.

In terms of disrupting mist form...it depends on if their mist form is bound by the laws of physics or if it's bullshit magical.

We have to ask...

Can the vampire use mist form to pass through a hurricane?

Can the vampire use mist form to pass through a wall of flame?

Can the vampire use mist form to pass through a waterfall?

If we can answer these we can figure out if having a little bit of gas in the area would affect the mist form or not.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 25 2007, 03:27 AM
Post #17

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Will the mist freeze in very cold weather?

+Quote Post
Simon May
post Oct 25 2007, 05:24 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Will a vampire freeze in very cold weather? I think so. Therefore in mist form they would too.

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Oct 25 2007, 11:51 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 7,520

Just because you think so doesn't make it right. Mist Form /= vaporasized water Form. It's Magic aka ignore-phyics-at-will.

Main reason why they shouldn't be affected: it would be rather silly. IMO. :rotate:

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Oct 27 2007, 05:57 AM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 98

Immunity to toxins should cover knockout gas. It is, after all, a toxin.

I don't see why a cloud of gas would force a vampire out of mist form. It's not like the mist takes up 100% of the volume it occupies... there's plenty of room between the atoms for other stuff, and the presence of a vampire might even cause the mist to dissipate faster (if his "mist form" contributes to the local air pressure at all). Otherwise the mist form would have serious issues on rainy days.

If it worked for the scene, however... go for it :)

+Quote Post
Clyde
post Oct 27 2007, 06:26 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

Can you dikote a vampire in mist form?

(Sorry, couldn't resist) :grinbig:

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Oct 27 2007, 07:03 PM
Post #22

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

Could you use a suction hose to vacuum up a mist form vampire?

:D

+Quote Post
It trolls!
post Oct 27 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,049

Could you force a mist form Vampire into your internal air tank? :P

+Quote Post
Simon May
post Oct 27 2007, 08:47 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

In Soviet Russia, Vampire is food for YOU!

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Oct 28 2007, 03:42 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Could a vampire in mist form willingly go into an internal air tank to be smuggled somewhere? The idea of a mook vomiting up a cloud of mist that coalesces into a guy is weird, but neat. I'm not as up on SR4, but I'm assuming gear doesn't go misty as well, otherwise you'd have the problem of the vamp strapping on four Vindicator Miniguns and then misting into an air tank.

I did notice in the Mist For description that creatures in mist form who are exposed to a substance they are allergic to are forced back into their normal form. For the vamps that's sunlight and wood. Sunlight's easy, if the cloud touchs sunlight, it goes back to vamp form. But does touching a cloud of mist with wood count as exposure? The rules seem to imply that it would, but it seems odd to me that a vampy cloud of mist couldn't float through a forest, or would drop back into physical form if someone tossed a toothpick into it.

Edit: How come typos are invisible until I hit 'Post Reply'?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:37 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.