Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need in-depth example of hacking attempt
Wit
post Oct 28 2007, 01:58 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,071

old-time poster, long time lurker, and limited internet access, so forgive me if this is covered elsewhere.

Can someone give me an indepth example of a hack, starting from... well, the beginning. I was a long-time player of SR3, but our GM always handled the decker as a NPC, since the decking rules were such a pain, time-scale wise, and it was usually the decker just playing alone for an hour or two. Hacking in SR4 is much more involved with the cut-and-thrust of a run and especially combat, but the examples in the book covering various tests and actions are woefully lacking in details.

What I would like (and I know its alot, please! :( ) would be a example that basically walks through a hacker's comlink config, search for a network, penitration of that network, movement between nodes, detection, skill rolls, combat rolls, damage rolls, defense rolls, etc.

Heck, have fun and treat it like telling a story and everybody tell one sentence at a time, so long as everyone is accurate. The combat section in SR4 is great because there's an example after every action is described, and they are all part of the same example (i.e. consistant characters, skills)

Anyways, help would be most appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 28 2007, 02:03 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

problem is, while most of the rolls are pretty straightforward (that is, what you roll), the question of when you roll it and what the limits of the results of those rolls is somewhat of a gray area. it can be different from GM to GM.

so asking for an in-depth example means you can get an example of how someone else handles the matrix, but in the end you will probably have a different version.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 28 2007, 02:05 AM
Post #3

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

This thread might help to get you started.

+Quote Post
Gelare
post Oct 28 2007, 03:34 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,235

The Matrix rules are among the most hotly and most often contested rules on here, so you may be disappointed to find there's not a single universally accepted example to be had. That said, the thread Fortune's pointing you to is a good place to start, and there used to be a fellow on these forums named knasser who - ah, here it is: Example Matrix Networks. Enjoy, and good luck.

+Quote Post
Wit
post Oct 30 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #5

Target

That's a good thread for a reference, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 31 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Then give us more of an idea on just what you are looking for.

+Quote Post
noonesshowmonkey
post Oct 31 2007, 12:18 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,125

Looks like I will be making another installment on the FAQ.

This next one ought to be pretty big. It will have to include cyber combat, node hacking and commlink & software loadout modules.

Oh lordy.

- der menkey

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
~ Ernest Hemingway

+Quote Post
Alphastream
post Oct 31 2007, 01:00 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,814

QUOTE (noonesshowmonkey)
Looks like I will be making another installment on the FAQ.

This next one ought to be pretty big. It will have to include cyber combat, node hacking and commlink & software loadout modules.

Awesome! That would be great. Some of us new players are accessing these forums, but a lot of people don't have the time. Updating the FAQs goes along way towards helping the SR community.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the questions raised in:
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=19451

and

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...pic=19366&st=50

If you want me to submit some Q&A type writing on those two threads, let me know.

Thanks.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Oct 31 2007, 11:40 AM
Post #9

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

http://pavao.org/aud/HackingDemo.mp3

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Oct 31 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #10

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

There's also the good old, and woefully unfinished, Idiot's Guide to the Matrix 2.0.

+Quote Post
Wit
post Nov 11 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #11

Target

The cybercombat was primarily what I was looking for. I'll look into any new installments of the aforementioned links. Thx, folks.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:40 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.