Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need in-depth example of hacking attempt
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wit
old-time poster, long time lurker, and limited internet access, so forgive me if this is covered elsewhere.

Can someone give me an indepth example of a hack, starting from... well, the beginning. I was a long-time player of SR3, but our GM always handled the decker as a NPC, since the decking rules were such a pain, time-scale wise, and it was usually the decker just playing alone for an hour or two. Hacking in SR4 is much more involved with the cut-and-thrust of a run and especially combat, but the examples in the book covering various tests and actions are woefully lacking in details.

What I would like (and I know its alot, please! frown.gif ) would be a example that basically walks through a hacker's comlink config, search for a network, penitration of that network, movement between nodes, detection, skill rolls, combat rolls, damage rolls, defense rolls, etc.

Heck, have fun and treat it like telling a story and everybody tell one sentence at a time, so long as everyone is accurate. The combat section in SR4 is great because there's an example after every action is described, and they are all part of the same example (i.e. consistant characters, skills)

Anyways, help would be most appreciated.
Jaid
problem is, while most of the rolls are pretty straightforward (that is, what you roll), the question of when you roll it and what the limits of the results of those rolls is somewhat of a gray area. it can be different from GM to GM.

so asking for an in-depth example means you can get an example of how someone else handles the matrix, but in the end you will probably have a different version.
Fortune
This thread might help to get you started.
Gelare
The Matrix rules are among the most hotly and most often contested rules on here, so you may be disappointed to find there's not a single universally accepted example to be had. That said, the thread Fortune's pointing you to is a good place to start, and there used to be a fellow on these forums named knasser who - ah, here it is: Example Matrix Networks. Enjoy, and good luck.
Wit
That's a good thread for a reference, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.
Fortune
Then give us more of an idea on just what you are looking for.
noonesshowmonkey
Looks like I will be making another installment on the FAQ.

This next one ought to be pretty big. It will have to include cyber combat, node hacking and commlink & software loadout modules.

Oh lordy.

- der menkey

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
~ Ernest Hemingway
Alphastream
QUOTE (noonesshowmonkey)
Looks like I will be making another installment on the FAQ.

This next one ought to be pretty big. It will have to include cyber combat, node hacking and commlink & software loadout modules.

Awesome! That would be great. Some of us new players are accessing these forums, but a lot of people don't have the time. Updating the FAQs goes along way towards helping the SR community.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the questions raised in:
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=19451

and

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...pic=19366&st=50

If you want me to submit some Q&A type writing on those two threads, let me know.

Thanks.
Aaron
http://pavao.org/aud/HackingDemo.mp3
Dashifen
There's also the good old, and woefully unfinished, Idiot's Guide to the Matrix 2.0.
Wit
The cybercombat was primarily what I was looking for. I'll look into any new installments of the aforementioned links. Thx, folks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012