> Please Answer Me This..., Generic SR4 rules questions
Ghost in the Mac...
post Nov 2 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 283

Hello!

I've just started running a Shadowrun game, and I have a few questions regarding rules. (I'm sorry if these have been asked before.)

1) Where can I find the prices for the drugs on pages 248-250? (I have a player whose character has an addiction to one of these.)

2) Is there someplace I can find a reference chart for matrix rolls and opposed rolls?

3) In character creation, if a character has an Essence of 5, can they have a Magic of 5 by spending 40 points, or do they have to spend 65? (I've houseruled the former, but I'd like to know the official rule.)

4) Why take a respirator over a gas mask? Is there a typo in cost?

5) On page 260-261, it states that Forged IDs make an opposed test versus the verification system. Where can I find information on verification systems and what level of system is appropriate for particular places?

6) Where are the rules for rounding?

Thanks!

I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

-~GitM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 2 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Ghost in the Machine)
1) Where can I find the prices for the drugs on pages 248-250? (I have a player whose character has an addiction to one of these.)

There are none as of yet in SR4 (maybe in Arsenal). You could do a search on these forums for Drugs, as there are a couple of threads with some suggested price lists.

2) Is there someplace I can find a reference chart for matrix rolls and opposed rolls?

knasser has some stuff here. There are a couple of other forum members that have useful websites, but I don't have them in saved at the moment.

3) In character creation, if a character has an Essence of 5, can they have a Magic of 5 by spending 40 points, or do they have to spend 65?  (I've houseruled the former, but I'd like to know the official rule.)

Technically, it's the latter, although I don't think it is too bad of a house rule to do it as you have done.

4) Why take a respirator over a gas mask?  Is there a typo in cost?

I dunno. Go for the Respirator. ;)

On page 260-261, it states that Forged IDs make an opposed test versus the verification system.  Where can I find information on verification systems and what level of system is appropriate for particular places?

I had a brief look, but couldn't find it. :(

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Nov 2 2007, 09:35 AM
Post #3

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

1> Man and Machine. Ha! Last I checked, there was supposed to be some drug prices in Arsenal.

2> Ug. No.

3> During character generation, you purchase up your Magic Attribute and then your Magic attribute goes down from Essence loss. So to have a Magic of 5 and an Essence of 5, you have to buy a Magic of 6 (for 65 points) and then watch your reduced Essence drop it down to 5.

4> The same reason that you take a respirator over a gas mask today. A gas mask is a self-contained breathing apparatus. There's an actual tank of compressed air and you breathe only that. There's no chance of accidentally breathing poison gas, because you aren't breathing the outside air at all. However, it's uncomfortable, heavy, limited in duration, and not stylish at all. Yes, the protection from wearing and breathing from an O2 tank with no gas exchange with the outside world is more than simply wearing a mask - but seriously how many people do you see running around with dust masks? How many with SCUBA tanks?

5> All over Dumpshock. In general, most places run around with verification systems in the 1-3 range.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Hank Chinanski
post Nov 2 2007, 09:42 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 13,661

QUOTE (Ghost in the Machine)
1) Where can I find the prices for the drugs on pages 248-250?  (I have a player whose character has an addiction to one of these.)

There are no prices given. You can just rule the prices as you see fit.

I don't have any idea where to find that. I want to write this myself but it will be german:)
3) In character creation, if a character has an Essence of 5, can they have a Magic of 5 by spending 40 points, or do they have to spend 65? (I've houseruled the former, but I'd like to know the official rule.)

It's 65 BP, since an essence of 5 reduces your maximal magic to 5 too. So the rules of maxing out attributes have to be applied.
Notice, that the order doesn't matter: You could argue that the magic was bought first, and the ware implated is the second step. But then it's obvious that you have to start with a magic of 6 to end up with a magic of 5 after implantation.

To your 5th question you can find propabely something in this forum using the search function.

Frank was faster than me

This post has been edited by Hank Chinanski: Nov 2 2007, 09:44 AM

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 2 2007, 10:07 AM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Hank Chinanski)
Frank was faster than me

Yeah yeah! What about me? I beat ya both! :P *

*though some of Frank's answers were more comprehensive.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Nov 2 2007, 10:26 AM
Post #6

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Verification Systems unfortunately have to use the device rating table in the wireless chapter. I´d run with Franks 1-3 for fast scans (police drones on patrol) and 5+ for deep scans (airports etc).

+Quote Post
Hank Chinanski
post Nov 2 2007, 10:26 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 13,661

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Hank Chinanski @ Nov 2 2007, 07:42 PM)
Frank was faster than me

Yeah yeah! What about me? I beat ya both! :P *

*though some of Frank's answers were more comprehensive.

Sorry, I saw your post later than Frank's and was too idle to edit my post again ;)
Respect, you was the fastest:)

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Nov 2 2007, 01:29 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

@FrankTrollman

Gas mask filters the air, it is not a self contained air breathing system. I know I have used them many times in my Military service. :) Now what SR4 defines as a respirator...

Wiki says

"A respirator is a device designed to protect the wearer from inhaling harmful dusts, fumes, vapors, and/or gases. Respirators come in a wide range of types and sizes used by the military, private industry, and the public.

There are two main categories: the air-purifying respirator, which forces contaminated air through a filtering element, and the air-supplied respirator, in which an alternate supply of fresh air is delivered. Within each category, different techniques are employed to reduce or eliminate noxious airborne contents."

Wiki about gas masks
"A gas mask is a mask worn over the face to protect the wearer from inhaling airborne pollutants and toxic materials. The mask forms a sealed cover over the nose and mouth, but may also cover the eyes and other vulnerable soft tissues of the face. Some gas masks are also respirators, though the word gas mask is often used to refer to military equipment "

WMS

+Quote Post
ThreeGee
post Nov 2 2007, 01:46 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,858

> The same reason that you take a respirator over a gas mask today. A gas mask is a self-contained breathing apparatus.

I'd say completely the opposite, a gasmask filters air, a respirator is self contained, but that's the opposite of how the rules work.

If you go back into earlier editions, there is no gasmask, only respirators are available, and they have gas tanks, you could even buy them with regulators so you could use them under water at depth.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 2 2007, 01:53 PM
Post #10

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (SR4 pg 327)
Gas Mask: Completely covers the user’s face and filters out toxic substances. It provides immunity to inhalation-vector toxins (see Toxic Substances, p. 245). Cannot be combined with a respirator.

QUOTE (SR4 pg. 328)
Respirator: A respirator is a filtering device worn over the mouth and nose that protects against inhalation-vector toxins (see Toxic Substances, p. 245). The respirator adds its ratings to toxin resistance tests.

+Quote Post
ThreeGee
post Nov 2 2007, 01:57 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

When it comes to an inhalation vector there is no difference between covering the eyes and mouth and the entire face. It's INHALATION that's the clue.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 2 2007, 02:04 PM
Post #12

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (ThreeGee)
When it comes to an inhalation vector there is no difference between covering the eyes and mouth and the entire face.

Well, according to the rules, the difference is immunity vs. a +6 dice bonus (at best). ;)

+Quote Post
ThreeGee
post Nov 2 2007, 02:07 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Yeppers, think this section of the rules needs a little tinkering...

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Nov 2 2007, 02:09 PM
Post #14

Man Behind the Curtain

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

It should be noted that a gas mask does NOT filter biological agents, only chemical ones.

When it comes to an inhalation vector there is no difference between covering the eyes and mouth and the entire face. It's INHALATION that's the clue

The difference is in the filtration. Gas Masks typically use charcoal based filters where as a Respirator usually use significantly less effective filters.

EDIT: And you get hit by CS gas or tear gas or some of the others and see if the full face protection doesn't make a difference... :P

+Quote Post
ThreeGee
post Nov 2 2007, 02:32 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

And you get hit by CS gas or tear gas or some of the others and see if the full face protection doesn't make a difference...

Under the RAW neither a Gas Mask or a Respirator protect against CS/Tear Gas as they have inhalation AND contact vectors. Masks and Respirators only apply to the inhalation part of that...

+Quote Post
Simon May
post Nov 2 2007, 04:36 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,604

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
3> During character generation, you purchase up your Magic Attribute and then your Magic attribute goes down from Essence loss. So to have a Magic of 5 and an Essence of 5, you have to buy a Magic of 6 (for 65 points) and then watch your reduced Essence drop it down to 5.

So this means that if you buy magic of 3 and have essence 6, then get your arm ripped off, dropping you to essence 4, your magic drops to 1?

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Nov 2 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

QUOTE (Simon May)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Nov 2 2007, 04:35 AM)

So this means that if you buy magic of 3 and have essence 6, then get your arm ripped off, dropping you to essence 4, your magic drops to 1?

Yup, thats how I read it.

+Quote Post
ThreeGee
post Nov 2 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Except that losing an arm is probably only worth 1 essence rather than 2, yep that's how it works.

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Nov 2 2007, 04:46 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

QUOTE (Redjack)
It should be noted that a gas mask does NOT filter biological agents, only chemical ones.

@Redjack
Gas masks do filter the inhalation biological agents. Those in the military did, when I was serving.

WMS

+Quote Post
Eleazar
post Nov 2 2007, 04:51 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,130

In regard to question number 2. I believe veggiesama has made a quick reference sheet for the matrix, including page numbers. The sheets also have many other rules mechanics on them. Perfect for the beginning player or even the veteran that needs a quick rules clarification. If someone is familiar with the location of these sheets, could you post the link?

EDIT: After a search I located them. They are very handy.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=18083

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Nov 2 2007, 05:52 PM
Post #21

Man Behind the Curtain

QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Nov 2 2007, 11:46 AM)
QUOTE (Redjack @ Nov 2 2007, 09:09 AM)

@Redjack
Gas masks do filter the inhalation biological agents. Those in the military did, when I was serving.

WMS

Sorry, but you were misinformed. They do not.
I say this from experience as an NBC NCO.

-Redjack

EDIT: I do remember my training unit being surprised by this, but one thing got us even worse than the fact that MOP4 is useless against an airborne biological agent... The fact that while we can detect and identify 100% of all chemical agents, we can only detect a handful (of potentially millions?) of biological agents and treat/counter less than 5% of the known ones.
Thats reassuring!

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Nov 2 2007, 05:55 PM
Post #22

Man Behind the Curtain

QUOTE (ThreeGee)
And you get hit by CS gas or tear gas or some of the others and see if the full face protection doesn't make a difference...

Under the RAW neither a Gas Mask or a Respirator protect against CS/Tear Gas as they have inhalation AND contact vectors. Masks and Respirators only apply to the inhalation part of that...

Technically there are an inhalant, but they will irritate the eyes.. Though that could be said that most chemical compounds will irritate the eyes... So there we are. ;)

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Nov 2 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #23

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Redjack)
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Nov 2 2007, 11:46 AM)
QUOTE (Redjack @ Nov 2 2007, 09:09 AM)

@Redjack

WMS

Sorry, but you were misinformed. They do not.
I say this from experience as an NBC NCO.

-Redjack

Well, it's just a difference between "all" and "some". :D
For example, if the "biological agent" in question is an old dude with tuberculosis standing next to you, the gas mask should filter any droplets he ejects just fine. ;)

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Nov 2 2007, 06:02 PM
Post #24

Man Behind the Curtain

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Well, it's just a difference between "all" and "some".  :D
For example, if the "biological agent" in question is an old dude with tuberculosis standing next to you, the gas mask should filter any droplets he ejects just fine.  ;)

Hahahha.... I stand corrected. I meant truly airborne agents as opposed to airborne projectiles of biological agents. :P

+Quote Post
kzt
post Nov 2 2007, 08:03 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
4> The same reason that you take a respirator over a gas mask today. A gas mask is a self-contained breathing apparatus. There's an actual tank of compressed air and you breathe only that. There's no chance of accidentally breathing poison gas, because you aren't breathing the outside air at all. However, it's uncomfortable, heavy, limited in duration, and not stylish at all. Yes, the protection from wearing and breathing from an O2 tank with no gas exchange with the outside world is more than simply wearing a mask - but seriously how many people do you see running around with dust masks? How many with SCUBA tanks?

You have it backwards, but then so do the Shadowrun rules. (What would SR be without developers who can't look up the meaning of words ? Offensive/defensive, velocity/rate of fire, magazine/clip, etc.)

A respirator is a superclass that includes all types of protection against inhaled gases, dusts, etc. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respirator. There are two classes, and SR4 provides two examples of filtering respirators.

A "gas mask" is a air purifying respirator that has filters against chemical agents. Exactly what agents it protects against depends on the filters. No air supply. This is what the "gas mask" in SR4 is. Oddly enough, it's also what the "respirator" in SR4 is.

An SCBA is a type of respirator that provides an air supply. This means it has a heavy tank full of air under very high pressure.

There are no examples of air supplying respirators in SR4 to date.

There may have been an intent to do so, but nothing made it to finished product. I have no idea why they provide two different bad examples of gas masks, as a properly fitted gas mask with the right filters provides total protection against inhaled gases.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:00 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.