IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WTF - Explain These Spells, How the... what the...?
Kool Kat
post Nov 11 2007, 08:03 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,422

I am sitting here with my Shadowrun team and they are new to using magic and I myself don't have a lot of experience yet with mages (Since no one bothered to play one in my game before, I rarely used it.)

There are two spells in the SR4 Core Book that have us confused. The description of how they work are a bit confusing.

SPELL: ARMOR - (SR4 Core Pg. 202) This spell lists its Drain Value as Force / 2 +3. The exact text says:

CODE
This spell creates a glowing field of magical energy
around the subject that protects against Physical damage. It
provides both Ballistic and Impact armor (cumulative with
worn armor) to the subject equal to the hits scored.

The way this is written.. why would any mage cast the spell with more than a Force 1 attached to it? If the Force of the spell has no baring on the final total result for your armor increase what is the point of casting Armor at more than a 1 force? Is there some text missing from this paragraph?

SPELL: HEAL - (SR4 Core - Pg. 199) This spell lists Drain Value as (Damage Value - 2) Can someone clarify the Damage Value? Is it saying that if you are healing a guy with 9 boxes of damage your drain value to resist is 7?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Nov 11 2007, 08:05 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

Say Bob cast the spell at force one and score ten hits.
While Tim casts the spell at force three and scores three hits.

Who's spell is more powerful? Tim's no matter how many hits you make you can't keep more then the force of the spell. The force is the all mighty limiter.

+Quote Post
Simon May
post Nov 11 2007, 08:06 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,604

Force limits the number of successful hits. If you cast at Force 1, you can only have 1 hit. At least that's how my group has chosen to read it.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Nov 11 2007, 08:08 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

Armor spell:
The way this is written.. why would any mage cast the spell with more than a Force 1 attached to it? If the Force of the spell has no baring on the final total result for your armor increase what is the point of casting Armor at more than a 1 force? Is there some text missing from this paragraph?

Nope, there's no text missing from the paragraph; you must have missed the section that says that a spell's hits are capped by its force; ergo, a Force 1 Armor spell, even if the spellcaster scored five hits on the spellcasting test, still only provides an armor increase of 1/1.

As for the Heal Spell... I've been wondering on that myself; my thought at the moment is that, yes, if someone has 9 boxes of damage, the Drain is 7.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Nov 11 2007, 08:11 AM
Post #5

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

The only difference to Drain that Force makes for a Heal spell is whether damage is Physical from the Drain. Thus, Heal is only ever cast at two Forces: Your Magic; and Twice Your Magic. But it still limits hits.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Kool Kat
post Nov 11 2007, 08:11 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 13,422

QUOTE (bibliophile20)
Armor spell:

Nope, there's no text missing from the paragraph; you must have missed the section that says that a spell's hits are capped by its force; ergo, a Force 1 Armor spell, even if the spellcaster scored five hits on the spellcasting test, still only provides an armor increase of 1/1.

As for the Heal Spell... I've been wondering on that myself; my thought at the moment is that, yes, if someone has 9 boxes of damage, the Drain is 7.

On the Heal... my mage is not wanting to heal the guy fully. It's a ganger they roasted with a Wall of Fire spell. THey wanted to give him enough hits back to snap him back from unconciousness to question him.

So why should he receive such a hard drain if he's not putting all of his effort into healing this clown?

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Nov 11 2007, 08:47 AM
Post #7

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Because, it doesn't matter how much effort he's putting into it, the spell is designed to heal fully, not only bits and pieces.

+Quote Post
Rock_Bottom
post Nov 11 2007, 09:46 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 8,057

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Thus, Heal is only ever cast at two Forces: Your Magic; and Twice Your Magic. But it still limits hits.

Can you tell me where in the rules this is stated? I found this rule nowhere in either SR4 or Street Magic. Granted, the rules layout isn't the best, as some rules seem to be scattered in many different places, so I might have missed it. But, in reading the Spellcasting section, the lead-in to Health spells and the Healing spell description itself, this little tidbit never shows up.

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Nov 11 2007, 09:50 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 9,300

QUOTE (Rock_Bottom)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Nov 11 2007, 03:11 AM)
Thus, Heal is only ever cast at two Forces: Your Magic; and Twice Your Magic. But it still limits hits.

Can you tell me where in the rules this is stated? I found this rule nowhere in either SR4 or Street Magic. Granted, the rules layout isn't the best, as some rules seem to be scattered in many different places, so I might have missed it. But, in reading the Spellcasting section, the lead-in to Health spells and the Healing spell description itself, this little tidbit never shows up.

I think he meant you can only EFFICIENTLY cast at those levels. The spellcaster can always choose the force, but if you have magic 5 you might as well cast a force 5 or force 10 spell, as the amount of drain is not based on force in this case. Thus the only difference is stun or physical drain.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Nov 11 2007, 09:51 AM
Post #10

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

There is no reason to cast it at any other force. Casting it at magic is max healing possibility for stun damage. At double magic for max healing possiblity with physical damage. Since your drain is always DV - 2 it doesn't matter what force it is, besides whether drain is S or P, and how many hits it caps at.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 11 2007, 10:23 AM
Post #11

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Kool Kat)
On the Heal... my mage is not wanting to heal the guy fully. It's a ganger they roasted with a Wall of Fire spell. THey wanted to give him enough hits back to snap him back from unconciousness to question him.

bah, forget heal, go for mind probe ;)

+Quote Post
DTFarstar
post Nov 11 2007, 10:55 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 9,421

I let Damage Value = Damage you are trying to heal.

But, I'm nice and that is the best possible interpretation of the rules. However, I do enforce the only one healing for one set of wounds thing, so if you only want to heal 2, it still seals off the rest of that set of damage from being healed.

Chris

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 11 2007, 11:41 AM
Post #13

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Can you tell me where in the rules this is stated? I found this rule nowhere in either SR4 or Street Magic.

'cause magic is stoopid . . magic does what it is intended for . . it does not THINK about what it does . . you tell magic with that spell:"heal!" and once you cast, magic heals until it's done one way or the other . .

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Nov 11 2007, 04:17 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

in the event that the question was intended to be about the "force limits hits" statement, then that particular information is found on page 171 of the main book, under the heading 'force'.

+Quote Post
Trax
post Nov 11 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (Kool Kat @ Nov 11 2007, 09:11 AM)
On the Heal... my mage is not wanting to heal the guy fully.  It's a ganger they roasted with a Wall of Fire spell.  THey wanted to give him enough hits back to snap him back from unconciousness to question him.

Mind probe doesn't work when the person is unconcious. Although they probably could've woken him up with a stim patch. Maybe.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 11 2007, 08:42 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

QUOTE (Trax @ Nov 11 2007, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Nov 11 2007, 05:23 AM)
QUOTE (Kool Kat @ Nov 11 2007, 09:11 AM)
On the Heal... my mage is not wanting to heal the guy fully.  It's a ganger they roasted with a Wall of Fire spell.  THey wanted to give him enough hits back to snap him back from unconciousness to question him.

Mind probe doesn't work when the person is unconcious. Although they probably could've woken him up with a stim patch. Maybe.

Nothing in the spell's description states that they have to be conscious. The spell is probing their mind, not their surface thoughts. An unconscious mind is still a mind.

Would probably give some wonky results, though, as an unconscious mind is a different beast from a conscious one.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 12 2007, 12:56 AM
Post #17

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

only if you get a low number of its.

on 3-4, the caster can go into any memory. on 5+, he can even enter the sub-conscious...

but on 1-2, he would probably get some interesting results...

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Nov 12 2007, 03:46 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,623

Side question on the Armor spell. The description says a glowing field or something to that affect. So can the armor be seen by mundanes? Does the glow provide enough light to see and be seen by?

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Nov 12 2007, 03:52 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

QUOTE (Stormdrake)
Side question on the Armor spell. The description says a glowing field or something to that affect. So can the armor be seen by mundanes? Does the glow provide enough light to see and be seen by?

Yes. Some people have house ruled versions of the spell which don't do that.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Nov 12 2007, 03:52 PM
Post #20

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

At least enough light to shot at.

+Quote Post
Earlydawn
post Nov 12 2007, 04:33 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,766

I always got the impression that magic's actual visual effect was more of an element of the will of the user; that is so say if the caster "feels" that it would be visual, that it will be. All based on the tradition.

...since most spells and spirits have little, if any, visible effect in the physical world (unless the magician prefers to have flashy effects, or her tradition calls for it.

+Quote Post
deek
post Nov 12 2007, 04:35 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

QUOTE (DTFarstar)
But, I'm nice and that is the best possible interpretation of the rules. However, I do enforce the only one healing for one set of wounds thing, so if you only want to heal 2, it still seals off the rest of that set of damage from being healed.

Chris

I do the same thing, as best as possible. So, you may be healing a character with 9 boxes of damage, but that may be 3, 3 box wounds, so you cast the spell three times.

Also remember, that Healing must be sustained until it is permanent, so casting at higher force, while not causing anymore drain, does effect how long you have to sustain it, as you can transfer net hits to reduce the time to permanent...

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Nov 12 2007, 04:35 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,623

Will have to bring that up to my mages next game session. Kinda a big draw back if your trying to be stealthy, lol.

+Quote Post
Ustio
post Nov 12 2007, 05:05 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 13,827

with regard to heal (and to an extent first aid)

I let the player choose before they roll weather they are treating one wound or all the wounds.

If they treat them all then its one action but counts all the wounds as one big wound (for drain and outcome).

If they go after one wound at a time then they would have to take multiple actions to fully heal someone but would treat eac hone as its own wound for drain and outcome.

The only time they dont get a choice is stabalising then I treat it all as one wound.

Example time (or heres one I shot up earlier)

Bob (say hello bob..h-h-hello) is a runner, none too lucky but a runner nonetheless.
one day whilst out with his colleagues on some nefarious (nice word that) job he gets hit by some corp sec grunt, now thanks to Bob's hardy physique and Ares Combat Jacket (with the 12 month garuntee) he only takes a single box of physical.

Later that run after leaving the facility the meet with the johnson goes sour (who'd of thought it!) and Mr J's goons pull out some artillery and soon its little bits of death in the air for everybody. during this fracas Bob takes 2 further wounds one of 2 physical (manabolt) and one of 3 (shotgun with slugs), putting Bob onto a slightly worrying 6 physical.

Now Bobs freind Chuck (Hi Chuck) is a shaman and begins to work his mojo, he treats the shotgun round first (since its spurting all over the place and they dont wont to get the back of the van all messy) one quick heal later (with a a paltry DV of 1) and Bob is feeling significantly better off.

Whilst on the way back to the warehouse they all call home (somebody didnt keep any nuyen back for lifestyle tsk tsk), Larry (..., hmm Larry seems a little surly) applies some first aid tob Bob for the other two injuries treating them as a single wound of 3, Larry with his large dicepool is confidant of fixing it all up and sending Bob on his way with a lollypop. however due in part to the cramped nature of the van he dosent do quite as well as hed hoped and only heals one box, Bob is now stuck with havi ng to rely on long term healing.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.