Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AR programming for RL ?, pragmatic programmers book on AR
st23am
post Nov 12 2007, 10:37 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,778

So I was going to get source code for a book I bought and came across this interesting tidbit. The book is not out yet (Jan 2008) however I found the prospect interesting and some what foreboding. Looks like 4th ed might be onto something.

Augmented Reality: A Practical Guide

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bogomips
post Nov 13 2007, 03:28 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 13,895

meh, I'll stick with my DNI :-)

+Quote Post
bogomips
post Nov 13 2007, 05:26 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 13,895

Taking a closer look, my DNI strikes me as being more trode like. :|

+Quote Post
Paradigm
post Nov 13 2007, 09:51 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 14,105

No, it really is DNI, the article mentions implanting electrodes to get a clearer signal and how it's superior to electrodes glued to the head, as the skull degrades and distorts the neural signals. <insert obligatory 'thickheaded' comment here>.

The 3rd page "BCI Applications" is especially interesting, as it explicitly states the idea that it could be used for prosthetic limbs, i.e. Cyberware. Funnily enough, the way it's written implies that it's a forgone conclusion for them that it will be implemented, they're already dealing with theories on how people would have to learn to use their DNI driven prostethics. and really, just look at that picture.

Page 4 "Sensory Input" deals with the basic concept of cybereyes/ears.

The AR book seems quite interesting as well, with the mention of "video see through technology" I wonder if they'll be discussing the idea of AR glasses as we have in SR4. Might well be interesting to look at how they percieve it today, as it seems to mainly be a contemporary guide.

+Quote Post
JesterX
post Nov 13 2007, 05:53 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,390

I've read several books on the subject... The majority of them talks about the future implacations, the problems remaining (i.e.: tracking more than one real life objects in real time) and programmers challenge for the upcoming generation...

That being said, we are very far from SR... and the human interfaces are quite stupid so far.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Nov 14 2007, 09:28 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

I already did some AR programming lately. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's fun.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:42 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.