IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jurassic Park?, ... any in canon dinosaurs in SR?
Mercer
post Nov 30 2007, 03:23 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,600

I'm wondering if there are any in canon dinosaurs in SR, and if there aren't, what sort of SR technologies could be used to make one.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Nov 30 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #2

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...obvious, Genetech.

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Nov 30 2007, 03:51 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

Would they be using a process similar to Jurassic Park, or would they be building them up from scratch? How advanced is the genetech in SR? Are dinosaur parks an accepted facet of the setting?

+Quote Post
CircuitBoyBlue
post Nov 30 2007, 03:58 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,215

They could also be magically created. Free spirits with a dino fetish, ally spirits designed to look that way, possibly even fossils raised by possession tradition mages?

Or, genetech. Or, they could just find a frozen one and have the tech to resurect it.

Or, dinosaurs could be an awakened species, similar to dragons coming back. Or, you could get REALLY crazy and have all the dinosaur fossils we've found throughout human history really be remnants of horror constructs, and as mana levels increase, what we used to think were "dinosaurs" actually come back to eat our souls.

Or, you could just have a troll street thug with "T-Wrecks" written on the back of his jacket. When he walks, people's water glasses ripple, and then he hits them with a chain and they fall down.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 30 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #5

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

you guys are giving me such horrible ideas for shadowrun O.o

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Nov 30 2007, 04:09 PM
Post #6

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

Shapechange should work. Too bad there's no more transform, it would work better for "true" dino goodness.

Could also cast Shapechange, then extract DNA, and create a clone.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 30 2007, 05:14 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

freshwater and saltwater serpents bear a striking resemblance to certain species of dinosaur.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Nov 30 2007, 05:26 PM
Post #8

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (tisoz)
Shapechange should work. Too bad there's no more transform, it would work better for "true" dino goodness.

You consider DNA to be radically altered by the Shapechange spell? Interesting.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Nov 30 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #9

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Nov 30 2007, 10:09 AM)
Shapechange should work.  Too bad there's no more transform, it would work better for "true" dino goodness.

Indeed. I've never even considered that. What would a shapechanged thing's DNA be like?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 30 2007, 05:34 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

i suppose it does. after all, the spell changes you into a given creature--it doesn't change you into something that only looks like a given creature.

edit: actually, i take that back. it does change you into something that only looks like a given creature--if you changed into the actual species of the creature, you would take on its mental stats.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Nov 30 2007, 05:40 PM
Post #11

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

I've always just assumed it as a matter transformation. Almost a turn-to-clay followed by a sculpt-into-X or something. Along the same lines of water to ice. Same stuff, different form.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 30 2007, 05:55 PM
Post #12

The ShadowComedian

would explain why the target and critter body come into the formula for this spell . .
has to be the most complex forumla to see what kind of success you need and what kind of drain you take

+Quote Post
Magus
post Nov 30 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

Dinosaur Bio drones. Why not they already have a sabretooth cat biodrone.

Here Rex <whistles> Here boy!! Sic em Rex!!

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Nov 30 2007, 06:09 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Magus)

Bowler Hat Guy: What's going on? Why aren't you seizing the boy?
T-Rex: 'Cause I have a big head and little arms, and I'm just not sure how well this plan was thought through.

+Quote Post
Momijizukamori
post Nov 30 2007, 06:10 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 13,673

QUOTE (tisoz)

We actually tried this in a past campaign. Unfortunately the GM ruled that the ork mage wasn't actually allowed to turn into a velociraptor...so he ended up going for rhino instead.

+Quote Post
Magus
post Nov 30 2007, 06:12 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (Magus @ Nov 30 2007, 01:07 PM)

Bowler Hat Guy: What's going on? Why aren't you seizing the boy?
T-Rex: 'Cause I have a big head and little arms, and I'm just not sure how well this plan was thought through.

You are a horrible horrible person Moon Hawk. My kids will not stop playing that video, I cannot get it out of my head. Now just when I got a break, you throw that out. Jeez!

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Nov 30 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #17

Oh yeah? I've never even seen it; just the commercials. :-)

+Quote Post
Kingmaker
post Nov 30 2007, 06:23 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 11,924

So you shapechange into a velociraptor, extract the DNA, and clone it. Congratulations, you now have a fully sentient and self aware dinosaur. Now ask your GM if you can play one. A little gene engineering for opposable thumbs and it is a very workable character, if not the ideal choice for a the team face.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 30 2007, 07:01 PM
Post #19

The ShadowComedian

you now have a fully sentient and self aware dinosaur

gratulations, you've just replaced humans as the dominant species on this planet . . ok, we have opposable thumbs, but that is an magical, self aware velociraptor!

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Nov 30 2007, 07:03 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (eidolon @ Nov 30 2007, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Nov 30 2007, 10:09 AM)
Shapechange should work.  Too bad there's no more transform, it would work better for "true" dino goodness.

Indeed. I've never even considered that. What would a shapechanged thing's DNA be like?

Your shapechanged DNA would look like your own DNA. Shapechanging doesn't modify your DNA, it magically changes the position of your cells to mimic the item you shapechange into. That is why you can't shapechange into something too much larger or smaller then your original form (you don't have the material for it). This brings up the question about the long term effects of shapchanging too much.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 30 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #21

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

The shadpechange spell is cast on the person, not the person's DNA. It may not even cause genetic changes. But, in the event that it does, the spell would stop effecting the DNA as soon as it ceases being part of the person for spell targeting purposes.

It would be like casting a levitation spell on a lego toy and then breaking a single block off of it. You don't suddenly have two functional levitate spells. You have one levitate sell on one lego toy and one falling block.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 30 2007, 07:22 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

sure, but if it does affect the DNA of the target, you can copy that DNA. it's like casting trid phantasm and snapping a photo of the spell effect--even after the spell fades, the photo can still show you what it looked like.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Nov 30 2007, 07:39 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

QUOTE (mfb)
sure, but if it does affect the DNA of the target, you can copy that DNA. it's like casting trid phantasm and snapping a photo of the spell effect--even after the spell fades, the photo can still show you what it looked like.

I will have to disagree with you on this. While your right about trid phantasm spell, DNA cloning is a bit more different. Clone is a replicate of the original. If you clone shapechanged DNA it would revert to its none shapechanged state (assuming that shapechange is DNA based). Now if you cloned a Shapechanger's DNA that would be different. The clone would retain the Shapechange ability as it is inherited into the DNA.

I have one main argument that the shapechange spell doesn't change the DNA of the subject:

The drain for a shapechange spell does not reflect the complexity needed to do genetic modification. What that means, is a true DNA based shapechange spell would be very draining and would require the spell caster to know the DNA strand they want to shapechange to (Knowledge(Genetics)). It is easier (both logically and drain wise) to just rearrange the existing cells to take on the form of the shapechanged object (which is what the shapechange spell does).

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Nov 30 2007, 08:36 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

QUOTE (TBRMInsanity)
What that means, is a true DNA based shapechange spell would be very draining and would require the spell caster to know the DNA strand they want to shapechange to (Knowledge(Genetics)).

It is easier (both logically and drain wise) to just rearrange the existing cells to take on the form of the shapechanged object (which is what the shapechange spell does).

You're re-arranging trillions of objects either way. A human has trillions of cells, and DNA has trillions of G, T, C and A's.

Rearranging cells doesn't cover issues like "what if humans don't have this particular cell type for horns/thermovision/poison/spitting acid/breathing fire/whatever", where gene arranging would cover items like that.

If you would need Knowledge(genetics) to use DNA shapeshifting, wouldn't then a cell shapechangingneed to know the Knowldeg (exact cell location) to use the spell if the cells re-arrange? I don' think it would be required in either case.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 30 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #25

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

You can't transform into something with horns since horns are a form of Natural Weapon and Natural Weapon is a magical power and shapechange can only be ued to make you into a mundane critter.

I believe this is a case where we can safely say that it is magic.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.